Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

emoltra posted:

Any idea on how long it'll be before Cyanogen picks up 2.3?

First, the code needs to be put into AOSP. It'll be about 2 weeks for the first builds and a month to the first RC I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Godzilla07 posted:

First, the code needs to be put into AOSP. It'll be about 2 weeks for the first builds and a month to the first RC I believe.

So wait, are the Vibrant ROMS not full 2.3? I thought JL1 = Gingerbread?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stunt Rock posted:

They are built from the SDK and don't work for the most part. Fun to play around with though.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Suggestions for the best pdf reader for my g1? Preferably with search function. Does adobe reader work even with all the fuss about flash?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ratbert90 posted:

They are built from the SDK and don't work for the most part. Fun to play around with though.

Well, it will be sweet justice for all the galaxy s owners if they get 2.3 before anyone else. Even if it's not Samsung that's pushing the update out to them.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

epsilonomega posted:

Has anyone put Cyanogen 6.1 on the Droid yet? I'm hesitant because I've read about issues with Google apps not working properly (I use Google Voice all the time).

I have an OG Droid. I stuck 6.1 on it over 6.0 without an entire data wipe and it's been a perfectly happy ROM. The only things I wiped when transitioning from 6.0 to 6.1 were the Dalvik & System cache.

I'm no Google Voice user, but my Gmail works happily.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Civil posted:

Well, it will be sweet justice for all the galaxy s owners if they get 2.3 before anyone else. Even if it's not Samsung that's pushing the update out to them.
2.3 SDK-derived ROMS came out for a bunch of phones immediately. It means nothing and I'll go out on a limb and say that at least two current non-Samsung phones will get the update before any of the Galaxy S models in the US. (My guess is the EVO and the Droid X)

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Stunt Rock posted:

JL1 is just a newer leaked Froyo build.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Why does my HTC Desire not show up in droid explorer? I'm using modaco ROM, it has busybox, I've enabled USB debugging and tried choosing both "disk drive" and "charge only" on the phone, yet it never shows. Using windows 7.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd like to root my Epic 4G, but a perusal of the thread over at XDA-dev has post after post of people with problems using the one-click root.

To boot, the custom ROMs I've seen there are either developed by what appears to be a blind pre-teen (superman?) or sound very nice but have no videos or screenshots of use (Epic Experience).

Yes, it sounds very nice to be able to wring every last drop of performance and battery life from this thing, but I would prefer not to have to go through rooting, installing, then loving with a theme because the twat who made the rom put pink hearts that turn green in the place of checkboxes.

Additionally, I don't want to brick my phone because I'm using Win 7 x64 and a ton of the developers on XDA are basically saying "you should be using XP while you do this." I'm afraid XP is around 10 god drat years old at this point, two versions in the past, and a security liability regardless of how much patching has gone on with it. It'd be like recommending Windows 95 to install Half-Life 2.

On the other hand I should just start saving my pennies now because I have an upgrade coming this month so I can pick up any new hotness coming out on Sprint in coming months (:laugh:) even though pretty much everything interesting has been announced for Verizon or the GSM carriers. God forbid I think unlimited data for less than a benjamin every month is a pretty cool idea. Apparently the wages of that sin are Samsung's sluggish software development cycle. I'd like to think that with the new Dev Phone being apparently somewhat based on the GS platform we'll see updates accelerating from the virtual standstill they are at now.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 11, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Newest MIUI owns.

12.11 contains a 4x4 MIUI Music widget and it has a new file manager. New file manager seen http://twitpic.com/3ezo6w

The PC Sync is actually an FTP server. You enable/disable it. It's FAST - nearly as fast for me to send it over FTP as it would've been to do via USB.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Civil posted:

If it's not Samsung, then who else? Team Douche hasn't gotten CM6 working on the Galaxy S yet and from what I've heard of the Galaxy S dev scene, the ROMs are all based off leaked 2.2 builds for the many Galaxy S variants. I don't think there really is anyone in the Galaxy S community that can put together the code for an AOSP Gingerbread build.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

I'd like to root my Epic 4G, but a perusal of the thread over at XDA-dev has post after post of people with problems using the one-click root.
Realize that many of the posts in that XDA thread concern older versions of the one-click which have been largely sorted out. That said, I'm not a particular fan of it because the "Epic rooting" folks have, since day one, done utterly perverse things when in reality rooting the Epic is no more complicated than the Fascinate, Droid 2/X, and easier than every HTC device. Meanwhile, the most recent one-click inexplicably deletes a few stock apps (admittedly demos and such), probably to get extra room, then installs a bunch of stuff like the full busybox symlinks and ClockworkMod/redirector, which while nice for some folks, should really be made optional.

As alternatives, z4root from the market should and claims to work on the Epic.

If you prefer doing it manually, this thread shows how to manually root the Epic. The only caveat I'm aware of is the "adb shell /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" step may have to be broken into two commands: "adb shell", (enter), "/data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" due to peculiarities of how the exploit works on some devices.

To boot, the custom ROMs I've seen there are either developed by what appears to be a blind pre-teen (superman?) or sound very nice but have no videos or screenshots of use (Epic Experience).
I think ROMs are overrated in general. I'm quite happy with the stock installation. If I were to try any of the ROMs though, it would probably be the Eclair SyndicateROM. It looks quite featureful, with a focus on function and app updates, appears to have solid development interest (not just one guy) and is popular.

Alternatively, installing a custom kernel will get you most of the benefits of running a custom ROM in terms of enabling features like RNDIS, battery poo poo, etc., but with the benefit of not loving with your current programs/installation. It's also very easy to restore a stock ROM via Odin or redbend_ua.

Additionally, I don't want to brick my phone because I'm using Win 7 x64 and a ton of the developers on XDA are basically saying "you should be using XP while you do this."
I've used Windows 7 x64 for both Odin and adb before with no problem. Perhaps some of the XDA host-side scripts for things like One Click make assumptions about running XP, but in general it's not really a problem.

Apparently the wages of that sin are Samsung's sluggish software development cycle. I'd like to think that with the new Dev Phone being apparently somewhat based on the GS platform we'll see updates accelerating from the virtual standstill they are at now.
It's inexcusable that it's taking six months for the official Froyo release to happen. But Sprint's release of the Froyo OTA update for a limited set of models suggests that the final release is drat close. Rumor is that it was supposed to be the final release, hence why it was prepared for OTA, but that issues were discovered in the update process (perhaps the GPS problem folks ran into?) that necessitated them fixing and repackaging it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Realize that many of the posts in that XDA thread concern older versions of the one-click which have been largely sorted out. That said, I'm not a particular fan of it because the "Epic rooting" folks have, since day one, done utterly perverse things when in reality rooting the Epic is no more complicated than the Fascinate, Droid 2/X, and easier than every HTC device. Meanwhile, the most recent one-click inexplicably deletes a few stock apps (admittedly demos and such), probably to get extra room, then installs a bunch of stuff like the full busybox symlinks and ClockworkMod/redirector, which while nice for some folks, should really be made optional.

As alternatives, z4root from the market should and claims to work on the Epic.

If you prefer doing it manually, this thread shows how to manually root the Epic. The only caveat I'm aware of is the "adb shell /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" step may have to be broken into two commands: "adb shell", (enter), "/data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" due to peculiarities of how the exploit works on some devices.

I think ROMs are overrated in general. I'm quite happy with the stock installation. If I were to try any of the ROMs though, it would probably be the Eclair SyndicateROM. It looks quite featureful, with a focus on function and app updates, appears to have solid development interest (not just one guy) and is popular.

Alternatively, installing a custom kernel will get you most of the benefits of running a custom ROM in terms of enabling features like RNDIS, battery poo poo, etc., but with the benefit of not loving with your current programs/installation. It's also very easy to restore a stock ROM via Odin or redbend_ua.

I've used Windows 7 x64 for both Odin and adb before with no problem. Perhaps some of the XDA host-side scripts for things like One Click make assumptions about running XP, but in general it's not really a problem.

It's inexcusable that it's taking six months for the official Froyo release to happen. But Sprint's release of the Froyo OTA update for a limited set of models suggests that the final release is drat close. Rumor is that it was supposed to be the final release, hence why it was prepared for OTA, but that issues were discovered in the update process (perhaps the GPS problem folks ran into?) that necessitated them fixing and repackaging it.

Good point - Thanks to how Android is as a platform, I can make my desktop look the way it does right now, regardless of installation parameters. My next step is to make this tard-rear end Touchwiz lockscreen a little nicer, but overall, I can just go and download the apps I need. My main want is to get rid of all the horseshit that was put on here by Sprint - NASCAR, their loving updates app, etc. I like the football, but the navigation and nascar and poo poo have got to go. It's just bloating my phone. As for the more arcane abilities granted by rooting, well, I think tethering would be the only specific, since screenshots can be taken without root. Except, I wouldn't really use it anyway.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

My main want is to get rid of all the horseshit that was put on here by Sprint - NASCAR, their loving updates app, etc. I like the football, but the navigation and nascar and poo poo have got to go. It's just bloating my phone.
The stock apps are installed to a separate partition than user data/user installed applications. By removing them, you're not really getting any space back. That said, I think with the current version of the TouchWiz launcher, removing or renaming the APKs is the only way to hide them.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Macnut R14 is a good ROM but goddamn the drop-down notification bar is ugly.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Casao posted:

Newest MIUI owns.

12.11 contains a 4x4 MIUI Music widget and it has a new file manager. New file manager seen http://twitpic.com/3ezo6w

The PC Sync is actually an FTP server. You enable/disable it. It's FAST - nearly as fast for me to send it over FTP as it would've been to do via USB.

That file manager looks awesome. Did they finally fix the incoming SMS messages timestamps so they aren't 6 hours behind?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

That file manager looks awesome. Did they finally fix the incoming SMS messages timestamps so they aren't 6 hours behind?

Uh, my timestamps are and have been fine the whole time I've been using it.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Casao posted:

Uh, my timestamps are and have been fine the whole time I've been using it.

Ah, its just a known issue with 0.12.3.2 Moto Droid then.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hell ya! MIUI is out for the G2, now there is no reason to stick with the N1.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm assuming that I shouldn't install the latest OTA update for the Droid X since I'm rooted?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The stock apps are installed to a separate partition than user data/user installed applications. By removing them, you're not really getting any space back. That said, I think with the current version of the TouchWiz launcher, removing or renaming the APKs is the only way to hide them.

Space isn't a terribly big concern, but all those god damned ugly-rear end icons in my app drawer are a slight annoyance. Actually, I think LauncherPro can hide them. Scratch all that.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

ratbert90 posted:

Hell ya! MIUI is out for the G2, now there is no reason to stick with the N1.

Too bad it didn't boot and was immediately pulled. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Too bad it didn't boot and was immediately pulled. :v:

And that was loving funny.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
Well, over the past week I rooted my Desire (Europe, GSM), and installed Cyanogen 6.1. I'm really pleased so far, I've basically got all the functionality I had before and it seems a little faster. Juicedefender is great also. I've replaced ADW with Launcherpro plus as I had before.

I'm currently repartitioning my SD card to install apps to it correctly. I am really enjoying all the tinkering! Next step is to be able to connect to it and remote control it so I can get rid of remote SMS which is ok but a bit clunky.

The only thing I am missing thus far is being able to link contacts like on sense to facebook. Most have done it automatically but my names differ to some peoples facebook names (why the hell can't people use their proper name on facebook?). I've been following the thread for a while and I don't think I've seen anything to replace this, so I'm not that bothered.

But yeah, so far, so good! Thanks to all for the info in this thread and the wiki for making it a painless process.

edit:

having a hell of a time with creating a partition to install apps onto my sd card

I assume you make a seperate partition (sd-ext?) so that they stay mounted even when you usb connect the phone. Now, I have created this using ROM Manager, and reflashed cyanogen from scratch, but I am still not sure if it has worked, or how I would even tell. It says I have 20mb of internal storage left, which is one of the main reasons I decided to root in the first place. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lewk fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 12, 2010

eiddetham
Sep 22, 2003

Tap bitch.

JayKay posted:

I'm assuming that I shouldn't install the latest OTA update for the Droid X since I'm rooted?

I have the same question...I just rooted my DX last week, and I'm pretty new at this.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

JayKay posted:

I was rooted and I just updated. You'll lose your root, but z4root will get it right back after you update

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

boz posted:

I was rooted and I just updated. You'll lose your root, but z4root will get it right back after you update

The "RootMyX2.exe" 2.2 root still worked for me as well.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Oxygen is really quite loving good for anybody that has a Desire. Done by AdamG (OpenDesire, GingerNinja, so it comes with its own OTA updater) and is a stripped down AOSP rom. Of course, I'm not actually sure what's been stripped out - the flashing zip is only 40mb but it seems to have everything I want in it. A pretty nice included theme (though there is a classic version) and incredibly quick.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

boz posted:

Got an update failed. Going to try to unroot, update, root

Edit: Failed again after unrooting.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 13, 2010

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I tried rooting my Fascinate but kept getting a "verification failed" thing. I see that it's only for certain version (JP2 or whatever) but I don't know where you even find this. Can someone a) Tell me how to find out what version I have and b) point me to somewhere that explains what the hell all the versions are?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Heads up, CM 6.1 is finally out for the DINC.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
My thoughts on custom Roms thus far for EVO...

CM - Ok, maybe I got too used to having sense. But man I couldn't handle how badly some of the widgets blew on this. The biggest deal breaker being exchange. It worked when it felt like it (i would take bad username sync errors) and interface inside it sucked. Phone was fast though.

Myn's warm - Phone was not reconized as an android phone by my swype beta, same sync problems with exchange, and his stock font was loving obnoxious and ugly. Good performance from the kernel though.

Fresh - Everything works, good performance, no ugly interface. Looks like I'll be sticking with this guy going forward.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Scrubed posted:

You should give MIUI a try.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Speaking of MIUI, an actually booting version for the G2/Desire Z was posted today on XDA. It seems to have battery issues in that my battery isn't seeming to charge past 49% and it gets incredibly hot. Flashing back to CM6.1 - again - until this is sorted :( I really like MIUI on my HD2.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
So, apparently I fail at finding/installing the Gingerbread Keyboard. Every link I have found that works is an "unsigned" version, and I can't flash it. Every link I find that says it's a signed version doesn't work.

Who wants to do me a favor and link me to it?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What phone do you have? A lot of recoveries have an option to turn off signature verification, which let me install it on my N1.

I still use swype though...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If you've got an X and have never done an OTA on it (just used leaks and ROMS), do yourself a favor and get the latest OTA. I just sbf'd back to 2.1, OTA'd to 2.2.1 (2.3.340) and installed rubiX 1.9.0 (what I was on before), and there are noticeable performance gains.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you've got an X and have never done an OTA on it (just used leaks and ROMS), do yourself a favor and get the latest OTA. I just sbf'd back to 2.1, OTA'd to 2.2.1 (2.3.340) and installed rubiX 1.9.0 (what I was on before), and there are noticeable performance gains.

Unless it includes a radio update, it's placebo. If it does include a radio update, you can flash that separately. More than likely, it's also the clean flash helping out - always makes my phone feel faster.

Scrubed posted:

CM - Ok, maybe I got too used to having sense. But man I couldn't handle how badly some of the widgets blew on this. The biggest deal breaker being exchange. It worked when it felt like it (i would take bad username sync errors) and interface inside it sucked. Phone was fast though.

Myn's warm - Phone was not reconized as an android phone by my swype beta, same sync problems with exchange, and his stock font was loving obnoxious and ugly. Good performance from the kernel though.

Fresh - Everything works, good performance, no ugly interface. Looks like I'll be sticking with this guy going forward.

CM - Launcher Pro has replacements for most of all of the Sense ones. Built in Exchange support does kinda suck, you can pick up TouchDown from the market which is supposedly better.

Gonna echo the "Try MIUI" - it's really good, and I've taken it over CM6 (and I have a hard on for AOSP, so that's saying something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Casao posted:

Unless it includes a radio update, it's placebo. If it does include a radio update, you can flash that separately. More than likely, it's also the clean flash helping out - always makes my phone feel faster.

You're probably right about it feeling faster, however, I was under the impression that certain things couldn't be changed without a signed update from Motorola. I always run quadrant a couple of times after I load a ROM, and after applying the same ROM I had been using but after the OTAs, I'm consistently getting around 100 points higher now :confused:.