Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Miss Fats posted:

Meant to post this in this thread but I'm a functioning retard.

This poo poo gets started every year and it pisses me off. Why the gently caress do people get so upset over this poo poo?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-december-6-2010/the-gretch-who-saved-the-war-on-christmas

That people get upset about well-wishes of peace and joy from other cultural angles than their own, is downright ridicilous. I don't get offended when people wish me a merry Christmas or happy holidays, because I know people mean well, and it's the thought that counts. Instead of taking those wishes at face value, some people go out of their way to see malicious intent behind them, and I think that's really quite sad.

Also, the etymology of "Holidays" is "Holy days".

Angry Avocado fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Miss Fats posted:

Meant to post this in this thread but I'm a functioning retard.

This poo poo gets started every year and it pisses me off. Why the gently caress do people get so upset over this poo poo?

Quit trying to take the MASS out of ChristMAS. It's a CATHOLIC holiday! You Protestants have no right to try to steal Catholic holidays.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

swarthmeister posted:

It'd be funny to see her respond to some smart-rear end replying with a list of a dozen or so non-Christian origins of current Christmas festivities under that post. Maybe she'd boycott everything but simple nightly worship while waiting for gift-giving Zoroastrians to surprise her at a random time of year?

A similar message was posted on a friend's wall. And immediately, one of my devout Mormon friends posted this long diatribe about the pagan origins of Christmas, and how retarded it is to hate other people's religions during December. She then posted her own status update to the tune of "STOP BEING WINTER BIGOTS."

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I can't fathom how people who are not rich can defend the rights of the rich to not pay taxes.

I mean, wouldn't you want more money? Don't you know giving money to the poor multiplies the wealth? (actually, you probably don't.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well they justify it under two "understandings" of economics.

1.Reaganomics says trickle down theory works
2.The government is nothing but a leeching vampire who will use your tax dollars to pay for welfare queens and congressmen's salary.

So, understanding these 2 points, they believe that when the rich keep their money, they will use it to pay the poor and middle class working for them (working being the key point, not to "welfare queens"). If the government takes taxes it's not going to the working poor.

Of course theres also the rich who are whiney babies and don't want to give up their money.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well they justify it under two "understandings" of economics.

1.Reaganomics says trickle down theory works
2.The government is nothing but a leeching vampire who will use your tax dollars to pay for welfare queens and congressmen's salary.

So, understanding these 2 points, they believe that when the rich keep their money, they will use it to pay the poor and middle class working for them (working being the key point, not to "welfare queens"). If the government takes taxes it's not going to the working poor.

Of course theres also the rich who are whiney babies and don't want to give up their money.

Also, "when I make my millions I want to keep my money."

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ThePeteEffect posted:

Also, "when I make my millions I want to keep my money."
In all fairness everyone I know is a staunch Republican and none of them think this.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

In all fairness everyone I know is a staunch Republican and none of them think this.

Yeah I agree. It's less that lower income GOPers believe that they themselves will become rich (in my opinion and experience) than that they've simply absorbed the Fox News/GOP mantra that everyone does better, including them, when the rich get to keep all their money and let all those delicious, delicious crumbs fall from their table for the rest of us.

They've absorbed that so completely that it's simply an article of faith at this point. Resentment of presumably nonwhite poors wasting all their tax money helps reinforce this as well.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Zwabu is spot on. My crazy conservative family and friends think that not believing in trickle down economics is akin to not believing in God (see what I did there?). When I say Trickle Down doesn't work, they dismiss anything else I have to say on the basis that I'm crazy to think it doesn't.

Also, they don't think it's fair that the rich pay more. It's not that they want to poor to pay higher taxes, it's that they think that everyone should have to pay the same percentage. My dad is a huge proponent of the fair tax because that way those loving drug dealers have to pay taxes which would solve all our problems.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Miss Fats posted:

Zwabu is spot on. My crazy conservative family and friends think that not believing in trickle down economics is akin to not believing in God (see what I did there?). When I say Trickle Down doesn't work, they dismiss anything else I have to say on the basis that I'm crazy to think it doesn't.

Also, they don't think it's fair that the rich pay more. It's not that they want to poor to pay higher taxes, it's that they think that everyone should have to pay the same percentage. My dad is a huge proponent of the fair tax because that way those loving drug dealers have to pay taxes which would solve all our problems.

Have you tried confronting them on the fact that a number of corporations have more money than ever but are simply not investing? If trickle down was in any way accurate this whole thing would be solved so gently caress hard we'd be in a second golden age.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Yeah I agree. It's less that lower income GOPers believe that they themselves will become rich (in my opinion and experience) than that they've simply absorbed the Fox News/GOP mantra that everyone does better, including them, when the rich get to keep all their money and let all those delicious, delicious crumbs fall from their table for the rest of us.

They've absorbed that so completely that it's simply an article of faith at this point. Resentment of presumably nonwhite poors wasting all their tax money helps reinforce this as well.

Point taken. I have known a few people who seriously expressed my earlier sentiment, but they will say it as a hypothetical. They were more of a libertarian bent, however. It's probably more accurate to use "if" instead of "when".

A few cursory google searches shows that worship of the rich or weird sympathy for the rich is much more common than than the notion that they will one day become rich.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, it does come down to a sense that taxing the rich more is picking on the rich, and that that's not fair somehow. My grandmother tried to tell me about the Fair Tax, and I explained to her how it was in fact unfair, and about how progressive taxation actually works. She listened, and thought about it, and agreed that that does make sense. It wasn't some malicious, strongly held belief of hers, it was just something she assumed was fact because she'd been told it was. Specifically, she'd read Mike Huckabee's book, and Stephen Forbe's book. As a strong Christian, she assumed they, as strong Christians, were giving her the facts.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The other thing is that your lower income GOPer is usually white, and they actually see themselves having more in common with fabulously rich people (most of whom are white) than they do with nonwhite people who may be in exactly the same economic situation and social strata as themselves.

The way race politics has been played by the GOP since the 1960s, this is really a big part of the whole modern phenomenon of low income GOPers sympathizing with the rich.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
where does this whole idea that the super rich are "innovators" come from, I mean Warren Buffet never invented a drat thing, Bill Gates bought QDOS from a Seattle company and worked with IBM to put it to there spec. Chase Bishop invented windows, and he isn't even on the list of the super-rich. Hell the biggest plurality of the super rich are the Walton descendants who invented nothing. Carlos slim made his first millions on real estate and stock speculation, I couldn't find much reference to his inventing much of anything.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Zaxxon posted:

where does this whole idea that the super rich are "innovators" come from, I mean Warren Buffet never invented a drat thing, Bill Gates bought QDOS from a Seattle company and worked with IBM to put it to there spec. Chase Bishop invented windows, and he isn't even on the list of the super-rich. Hell the biggest plurality of the super rich are the Walton descendants who invented nothing. Carlos slim made his first millions on real estate and stock speculation, I couldn't find much reference to his inventing much of anything.

Enron. Most innovative company 6 years in a row.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!
My family is investing thousands of dollars into the Iraqi Dinar and expects to be millionaires within a few weeks.

I really had no other place to post this, and no email, but how can they think this is a good thing?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

My family is investing thousands of dollars into the Iraqi Dinar and expects to be millionaires within a few weeks.

I really had no other place to post this, and no email, but how can they think this is a good thing?

http://www.iraqidinarscam.info/

First hit off Google. Started typing "Iraqi dinar" and it autopopulated "Iraq dinar scam".

Sounds like your family just got scammed hard.

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!

Dameius posted:

http://www.iraqidinarscam.info/

First hit off Google. Started typing "Iraqi dinar" and it autopopulated "Iraq dinar scam".

Sounds like your family just got scammed hard.

Oh no, I'm totally aware of that and tried telling them. Too bad I get my views from the liberal media.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Oh no, I'm totally aware of that and tried telling them. Too bad I get my views from the liberal media.
This is the saddest thing :smith:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Zwabu posted:

The way race politics has been played by the GOP since the 1960s, this is really a big part of the whole modern phenomenon of low income GOPers sympathizing with the rich.

I think it goes back farther than that. I remember reading an argument that racism was consciously used to help dismantle the progressive movement of the '30's, when a lot of organizers were trying to help people organize by class. The landowners successfully split the movement in the south by race.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just echoing this incomprehension. How did they explain it to you? Is the Iraqi central bank buying up 80% of Iraq's currency? How could they ever expect currency exchange to net them 10000% profits?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Just echoing this incomprehension. How did they explain it to you? Is the Iraqi central bank buying up 80% of Iraq's currency? How could they ever expect currency exchange to net them 10000% profits?

The scam apparently goes from the following logic when currency sellers pitch it:

1. Iraqi Dinars are currently bottom barrel exchange rates with the US dollar because of our military operations there have obviously destabilized the economy.
2. This destabilization plummeted the value of the Dinar.
3. The US won't be in Iraq for ever acting as a destabilizing force.
4. Iraq's economy will recover from its current lows or stated more obviously get much stronger.
5. A stronger economy == stronger Dinar
6. You can now buy back dollars with your much stronger Dinar, the better exchange rate netting you massive profits
7. Sit around and be smug over your neighbors as they are now the poors and you are rich.

There are a whole host of assumptions in there already but one very important thing that they forget to mention is that if you are going to do your buyback into dollars you have to do it in Iraq.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Dameius posted:

There are a whole host of assumptions in there already but one very important thing that they forget to mention is that if you are going to do your buyback into dollars you have to do it in Iraq.

Yes, but clearly once the Iraqi Dinar is super strong Iraq will be a fairyland of peace and tranquility. It'd be like taking a vacation.

Seriously though, Forex scams are so common it's almost laughable that they still exist. Unless you're a professional trader with a lot of experience and knowledge of the market (along with a ton of capital), you should have no business with Forex.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 13, 2010

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pfirti86 posted:

Seriously though, Forex scams are so common it's almost laughable that they still exist. Unless you're a professional trader with a lot of experience and knowledge of the market (along with a ton of capital), you should have no business with Forex.
That's what I don't get. It's like, you get the forward that says "Buy Dinars!" Wouldn't your first reaction (assuming you believe the message) be to call your banker and say, "Hey, buy me some Dinars?" Who would click on a link and buy Dinars on the internet from 'some guy selling Dinars'?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All of modern America's institutions are a conspiratorial system designed to keep that single person down, which is why they can never get any money. But this here, this person selling dinars outside of the system, he will be their salvation.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

All of modern America's institutions are a conspiratorial system designed to keep that single person down, which is why they can never get any money. But this here, this person selling dinars outside of the system, he will be their salvation.

If you believe that then I got this van full of stereo equipment that I can sell you on the cheap man. Its a hot offer so its going to move quick so buy now!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

tendrilsfor20 posted:

That's what I don't get. It's like, you get the forward that says "Buy Dinars!" Wouldn't your first reaction (assuming you believe the message) be to call your banker and say, "Hey, buy me some Dinars?" Who would click on a link and buy Dinars on the internet from 'some guy selling Dinars'?

What?? Only ivory tower elite have personal bankers! REAL americans do it themselves!!! USA! USA!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What?? Only ivory tower elite have personal bankers! REAL americans do it themselves!!! USA! USA!
I'm not sure why you're saying this ironically, given that it's essentially true.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

TGLT posted:

Have you tried confronting them on the fact that a number of corporations have more money than ever but are simply not investing? If trickle down was in any way accurate this whole thing would be solved so gently caress hard we'd be in a second golden age.

This:

Zwabu posted:

It goes back further than that, my friend. And it's not necessarily a GOP thing so much as a rich white folks thing (who are incidentally represented by the GOP).

Notahippie posted:

I think it goes back farther than that. I remember reading an argument that racism was consciously used to help dismantle the progressive movement of the '30's, when a lot of organizers were trying to help people organize by class. The landowners successfully split the movement in the south by race.

Goes back even further than that.

Prior even to the founding of this country. Before the so-called "New World," there was no real concept of race, or at least racial superiority. There weren't large groups of racial minorities in most places where it wasn't more convenient and to use religion (e.g. Spain).

However, once the colonies began importing black Africans as slaves, this all changed. Because the colonies were isolated from the power bases of their sponsors (Britain, mainly), the rich (who incidentally were WASPs) needed a new way to keep the poor in line. Poor whites had more in common with poor and enslaved blacks than they did with the rich whites. Politically they shared the same interests, etc. The Rich needed a way to make the poor whites think their welfare was common with the rich and all they really had in common was their lack of melanin. As we all know, those who have the money control the debate, and the rich began telling the poor whites how inferior the blacks were, how they would rape your women, kill your children, and steal your sitcom time slot. They began giving poor whites a more "intellectual" "ownership" of the "problem" by putting them on runaway slave patrols, etc.

Thus, race became an issue of divide and instead of class warfare, we have race warfare.

Welcome to the present.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Honestly that reading sounds 1) More sinister than the reality and 2) A very US centric way of understanding race relations (for want of a better term). The fact is when Europeans first encountered Native Americans it sparked a great debate about whether they had souls. Less ridiculous than it sounds the debate really centred around whether they deserved the protection the Church and Christianity afforded to all human beings. Whether they could be enslaved and effectively treated as a new form of livestock (where circumstances allowed) or whether the goal should be to treat them like any other newly encountered pagans. It definitely didn't start when Africans started being imported to the Americas.

gently caress saying there was no such thing as racial identity is itself trying to impose a modern concept onto a very different mindset, particularly since religion could in many cases stand in for racial divisions. There was no question of white Muslims and Jews were an easy to identify ethnic and religious group. Racial 'solidarity' was certainly a tool used by rich white people in America to keep order by giving poor white people someone to look down upon while also employing them as a way to preserve the Status quo but that wasn't identical with the slave trade. Plenty of areas separated slave plantations from the general population (all the sugar plantations in the Caribbean and West Indies where there wasn't any populations of working class whites that weren't already directly involved in slavery).

There was also plenty of racism in countries that had long done away with slavery, the influx of West Indians to the UK in the 50's as cheap labour sparked racial tensions that weren't stirred up as part of a capitalist conspiracy. People are just a bit broken. Hell another example of exactly what you identify as racial relations would be (I'd argue a big part of it) evident in Northern Ireland where wealthy Protestants successfully unified working class Protestants to work against reforms that would have directly benefited them. There were gangs of working class Protestants who fought against being given the loving vote in the 50's and 60's because it would have meant lots of Catholics being enfranchised. People fought against being given the loving vote in the name of religious sectarian divisions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I would imagine crowding out class warfare with other prejudices goes back at least to ancient Egypt. Egypt was populated with humans so I think it must be true.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Miss Fats posted:

It goes back further than that, my friend. And it's not necessarily a GOP thing so much as a rich white folks thing (who are incidentally represented by the GOP).

No, I know that pretty much everything suddenly becomes "liberal" when it disagrees with their previously held notion but even something like the Wall Street Journal reported that. I don't think the WSJ is considered liberal.

That being said you do add more guided menace to the birth of racism than there probably was. I'm going to agree with MrNemo, people are just pretty quick to look at anything vaguely in the out group and say "gently caress you". That being said it is certainly accurate that the rich have used race to blunt criticisms of themselves. Or religious hatred. Or really anything that can be used to say "Hey I'm totally like you gently caress those other guys".

Such as the GOP's manipulative Southern strategy. They didn't create racism, and hell I don't even know to what extent every one of them believed black people were evil themselves at the start(Strom Thurmond certainly loved him some darker skin) but drat did they love winning.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Miss Fats posted:

Prior even to the founding of this country. Before the so-called "New World," there was no real concept of race, or at least racial superiority. There weren't large groups of racial minorities in most places where it wasn't more convenient and to use religion (e.g. Spain).

Yeah there was. Othello was basically all about this. I know it was post-New World but it was about the Moors, a long established, if vaguely defined group.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
The moron who writes in the small-town weekly newspaper has a new column.

quote:

The U.S. tax system is 13,400 pages of complicated gobbledy-gook that confuses nearly everyone who encounters it. Just ask Charlie Rangel, Tim Geithner or Kathleen Sebelius.

One of its most immoral features is the Death Tax that will, if President Barack Obama and Congressional Democrats have their way, confiscate 45 percent of estates of at least $3.5 million ($7 million for couples), despite the fact taxes have previously been paid on the assets of these estates. The federal government justifies this second taxing at one’s death because ... well, because you died. But according to The Tax Foundation’s last poll, 68 percent of Americans oppose the Death Tax.

Seeking an explanation for just why it is fair to confiscate nearly half of what someone has earned during his or her life, Fox News interviewed New York Democrat Rep. Anthony Weiner, who plainly was not up to the task of defending the Death Tax. And who could be?

Instead of answering the straightforward question “why is the Death Tax fair?” he offered this dodge: “The only question here is not whether or not there is going to be a tax on that, the question is where the limit should be and how much” should be taxed.

Many liberals have great disdain for wealthy people, and it’s not important if they earned their wealth through years of hard work and sacrifice. Rep. Weiner told us, although not so directly, that he and other liberals believe that heirs to estates are not entitled to what their parent’s worked so hard to leave them when they die. They believe that people who inherit wealth should have a large chunk of it confiscated by the federal government. It’s how they define “fair.”

Since liberal ideas are often emotional in origin and not thought through, they usually create serious problems.

Here’s a very real scenario: A man invests everything he has to start a business. He works long hours to build the business and his spouse and children work in it and help it grow. After several years the man dies, leaving the business to his wife, who continues to operate it with the children. The business continues to grow in size and value, and employs several non-family members. And then the widowed spouse dies. Enter Anthony Weiner to tell the children that their inheritance is valued at $4 million and the government is going to take $1.8 million in Death Taxes. They are forced to sell the business to pay the taxes. It’s only fair, you know.

The Death Tax is a tax on American values that punishes savings, families and investment in capital. It is a leading cause of dissolution among small businesses. It is an atrocity that is contrary to everything the United States of America stands for.

Another timely tax issue is continuing the Bush era tax rates.

President Obama and Congressional Democrats wanted to extend the tax rates for everyone except the “richest” Americans, defined as individuals making $200,000 a year or more, or $250,000 for couples (the couple in the example above likely fell into this category), while Republicans wanted to extend the existing rates for all taxpayers and were roundly ridiculed by liberals, who accused them of wanting to “give tax cuts to the rich,” that tired old class warfare aphorism.

But that is dishonest: keeping the existing rates is not a tax cut, for anyone; it merely continues taxing everyone at the same rate as for the last seven years. What the Democrats really want to do is raise taxes, but only on the “rich.”

All of which begs the question: Why should one group of taxpayers pay a higher rate than other taxpayers? Is this another of the liberal’s ideas of fairness?

Way back when the Founders were debating the details of the nation they were creating Thomas Jefferson said, “To take from one, because it is thought his own industry ... has acquired too much ... is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.”

Liberals want the rich to pay more than everyone else. But they already do. According to The Tax Foundation, the top 5 percent earned 34.7 percent of the nation’s adjusted gross income, but paid approximately 58.7 percent of federal individual income taxes — more than the bottom 95 percent of tax filers combined.

Taxes are a necessary evil to fund government. But how big should government be and how much should it cost? And shouldn’t all but the poorest pay something to support their government? Currently, 47 percent of households pay nothing.

People like Mr. Weiner arrogantly regard all money as government’s money. But it’s the people’s money, and elected officials are obliged to be frugal when they spend the people’s money. They aren’t entitled to spend taxpayer money to fund their self-serving excesses, like their superior health care plan, cushy pension and Nancy Pelosi’s personal jet upgrade.

In the last election a lot of folks who think like Anthony Weiner lost their jobs. We need to continue that trend.

Sometimes I want to shred this guy's awful columns apart sentence by sentence, but then I realize some old man in Podunk, VA isn't worth my time. Plus I think his dad was some Republican politician, so the damage is clearly genetic.

I also love how it's "the liberal" like he's some kind of goddamned anthropologist discovering a new culture.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
A person's inheritance is income. Income is taxed. The "death tax" is an income tax paid by the heirs. It's as simple as that.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
Anyone who uses the phrase "you liberals" has nothing constructive to add to political discourse, ever.

For that matter, let me extend that definition a bit:
- Anyone who compares his opponents to nazi's or communists
- Applies doubly so to anyone who compares his opponents to nazi's and communists
- Anyone who can't tell the difference between socialism and communism

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

A person's inheritance is income. Income is taxed. The "death tax" is an income tax paid by the heirs. It's as simple as that.
Well, it's not as simple if the inheritance is the family business and you don't have liquid assets to pay 50% of the value of that business or whatever. But that's their fault for running the business as a sole proprietorship. :colbert:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Angry Avocado posted:

- Anyone who can't tell the difference between socialism and communism

I don't know the difference, actually. What is it?

edit: communism is a sub-division of socialism, right?

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

freebooter posted:

I don't know the difference, actually. What is it?

edit: communism is a sub-division of socialism, right?
If you have a political/economical spectrum with on one end communism (free market is in government's hands) and on the other libertarianism (unfettered free market), socialism is what lies in-between.

With communism everything is governed by a central body: jobs, wages, goods, distribution, and prices, and is very totalitarian. Wages of all workers regardless of occopation, demand or skill, are equal. Healthcare and education are free and available to everyone. Communism is a political system based on Karl Marx's ideology that all men (and women) are equal, and that the current powerstructures create un-equality between people, and supress the lower class in order to garner more wealth or power for the ones currently in charge. He imagined a perfect society to be classless, and this was the result.

Socialism on the other hand is an economic system (not a political one) that works in combination with the free market, but interferes with it through watchdogs, regulations, and (progressive) taxing. The government takes care of the bare necessities (education, infrastructure, water gas and electricity, etc.) rather than have them being taken care of by the free market. As well as using government run programs that help redistribute wealth and opportunities downward. (The "natural" flow of money isn't to the hardest workers but the most powerful people, basically, wealth trickles up, not down.)

I guess the biggest contrast between the two is how they combine with capitalism. Communism is the polar opposite of capitalism, socialism can't exist without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angry Avocado posted:

If you have a political/economical spectrum with on one end communism (free market is in government's hands) and on the other libertarianism (unfettered free market), socialism is what lies in-between.

With communism everything is governed by a central body: jobs, wages, goods, distribution, and prices, and is very totalitarian. Wages of all workers regardless of occopation, demand or skill, are equal. Healthcare and education are free and available to everyone. Communism is a political system based on Karl Marx's ideology that all men (and women) are equal, and that the current powerstructures create un-equality between people, and supress the lower class in order to garner more wealth or power for the ones currently in charge. He imagined a perfect society to be classless, and this was the result.

Socialism on the other hand is an economic system (not a political one) that works in combination with the free market, but interferes with it through watchdogs, regulations, and (progressive) taxing. The government takes care of the bare necessities (education, infrastructure, water gas and electricity, etc.) rather than have them being taken care of by the free market. As well as using government run programs that help redistribute wealth and opportunities downward. (The "natural" flow of money isn't to the hardest workers but the most powerful people, basically, wealth trickles up, not down.)

I guess the biggest contrast between the two is how they combine with capitalism. Communism is the polar opposite of capitalism, socialism can't exist without it.

I think you need to add a forth category to your list there:

- Anyone who cannot properly describe either socialism or communism.

That person is you.

Communism is a classless, stateless society where needs are fulfilled based upon the equal democratic participation of everyone in society. There is no central body doing anything, wages do not or effectively do not exist.

Socialism is a transitional state to bring about communism whereby the workers own the means of production, usually using the state as their representative or occasionally literally by the workers themselves. The necessities of life are of course guaranteed to everyone but there is no market mechanism for anything.

This is also why every single complaint leveled by Americans about anything being socialist is utterly wrong. What Angry Avocado has just described is basically a social democratic welfare state.

namesake fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 15, 2010