Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
I want to buy the WD Elements 2TB HDD, newegg currently has it for $90 but they put it at $70 on Black Friday.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...#scrollFullInfo
My question is should I just go ahead and get it now ($90 is a great price) or should I wait until it's near/after Christmas and buy it? I don't know if the price would go down or not over the next few weeks, and $20 is enough for me to want to ask about it here before pulling the trigger. I don't have a computer with USB 3.0 nor do I plan on purchasing another computer any time soon, so that's not a factor. I also don't need it immediately, I probably won't be doing much with it besides maybe doing a backup until after finals are over so waiting is not a problem if I can save $20.

tokki g fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Your link is broken.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I seem to remember the iomega StorCenter being vmware certified and ~2k for 1tb. Not something I would use for production but if you just need backup disk/dev/iscsi should work

I've got a storCenter the idea was a disk space and speed upgrade.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

wow, how well does that OSX ZFS port actually run?

Is it working with external drives? I don't know that they make mac cases that can hold enough drives to make ZFS totally worthwhile unless you can do it with an esata enclosure...

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Your link is broken.

The link doesn't really matter since this is more of a general question about hdd price fluctuations around Christmastime, but I'll fix it for you.

tokki g fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 2, 2010

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

Telex posted:

wow, how well does that OSX ZFS port actually run?

Is it working with external drives? I don't know that they make mac cases that can hold enough drives to make ZFS totally worthwhile unless you can do it with an esata enclosure...

Aside from that little hiccup it's been flawless. The array was previously running on Ubuntu with zfs-fuse and it's much better than that. Fuse was raping my CPU and basically made the box unusable.

I now have a Mac Mini server running headless that manages my VPN, Time Machine, Media shares etc. I got a USB -> eSATA convertor that's hooked up to an external eSATA enclosure (SANS Digital TR5M-B) that worked out of the box. I previously had tons of problems with that enclosure and eSATA cards not properly handling the port multiplier but, this "just worked"

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

ATLbeer posted:

Aside from that little hiccup it's been flawless. The array was previously running on Ubuntu with zfs-fuse and it's much better than that. Fuse was raping my CPU and basically made the box unusable.

I now have a Mac Mini server running headless that manages my VPN, Time Machine, Media shares etc. I got a USB -> eSATA convertor that's hooked up to an external eSATA enclosure (SANS Digital TR5M-B) that worked out of the box. I previously had tons of problems with that enclosure and eSATA cards not properly handling the port multiplier but, this "just worked"

Though it's awesome that you can get port multiplication to work over USB, the fact that you've just limited whatever array is connected to it to 30MB/s isn't so awesome.

Now if only they made them in USB3...

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

PopeOnARope posted:

Though it's awesome that you can get port multiplication to work over USB, the fact that you've just limited whatever array is connected to it to 30MB/s isn't so awesome.

I was going to mention this anything over USB 2 is going to be really slow.

I'm contemplating almost the opposite for home (nothing to do with my last few posts). I'm planning on putting together a NAS to run a couple of VMWare fusion VMs on my i5 iMac.

As a practicality/speed test I recently took an old Windows XP VM and tried to run it with the VIrtual disk files shared via Gig-E. The VM was one I'd created at work using VMWare server (The virtual disks were still in VMWare server format and not upgraded for VMWare Fusion)

What surprised me a bit was The XP VM ran noticeably better when the virtual disks were connected to the Macbook via Gig-E than USB 2.0. ie Macbook Running Fusion <--Gig-E--> iMac <--FW400--> WD 7200 RPM enclosure VS Macbook Running Fusion <--USB 2.0--> WD Enclosure.

I may even try have an SSD volume and see if I can run my always on windows VM with it's system disk as a 60 gig SSD shared or maybe even block level as iSCSI if I can find the right initiator with whatever NAS OS and to be compatible with whatever Mac Targets are out there.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

PopeOnARope posted:

If only Apple supported USB3

My next step is probably to hack open the Mac Mini and steal off the SATA channel and convert it to eSATA when I get a chance

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bob arctor posted:

I was going to mention this anything over USB 2 is going to be really slow.

I'm contemplating almost the opposite for home (nothing to do with my last few posts). I'm planning on putting together a NAS to run a couple of VMWare fusion VMs on my i5 iMac.

As a practicality/speed test I recently took an old Windows XP VM and tried to run it with the VIrtual disk files shared via Gig-E. The VM was one I'd created at work using VMWare server (The virtual disks were still in VMWare server format and not upgraded for VMWare Fusion)

What surprised me a bit was The XP VM ran noticeably better when the virtual disks were connected to the Macbook via Gig-E than USB 2.0. ie Macbook Running Fusion <--Gig-E--> iMac <--FW400--> WD 7200 RPM enclosure VS Macbook Running Fusion <--USB 2.0--> WD Enclosure.

I may even try have an SSD volume and see if I can run my always on windows VM with it's system disk as a 60 gig SSD shared or maybe even block level as iSCSI if I can find the right initiator with whatever NAS OS and to be compatible with whatever Mac Targets are out there.

Solaris/OpenIndiana. Seriously, do it. As long as VMWare Fusion can mount an ISCSI volume.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Probably you'd mount the iSCSI target using the globalSAN initiator on the mac, and then use that mounted "drive" for VMware fusion.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

ATLbeer posted:

If only Apple supported USB3

My next step is probably to hack open the Mac Mini and steal off the SATA channel and convert it to eSATA when I get a chance

It doesn't work that way. There aren't all too many chipsets which support port replication, and the Intel ICH7/8 in the mini more than likely won't.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello,

I did a search and found two mentions of the Buffalo Linkstation in this thread, but neither were opinions on the device.

I want to use the NAS as a media storage. I liked the looks of the Netgear ReadyNas duo, but the Buffalo Duo comes with 2x1tb harddrives for the same price.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50186&vpn=LS-WX2.0TL/R1&manufacture=Buffalo

Does this seem like a decent deal ? Also, I currently stream media by plugging a usb harddrive into my Samsung blu-ray player. I'll be buying a Boxee Box soon, but in the meantime, anyone know if I can get the samsung BR player to stream the video files over the network, or, failing that, will the NAS's usb port allow me to use the BR player to navigate the files ?

Also, are 2TB drives the biggest practical drive to get if I upgrade later ? I don't want to spend the money of a 4 bay enclosure, and if I upgrade later, 2TB drive doesn't seem like all that much. I could run it in raid 0 and get 4TB total but...

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 6, 2010

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

jonathan posted:

Hello,

I did a search and found two mentions of the Buffalo Linkstation in this thread, but neither were opinions on the device.

I want to use the NAS as a media storage. I liked the looks of the Netgear ReadyNas duo, but the Buffalo Duo comes with 2x1tb harddrives for the same price.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50186&vpn=LS-WX2.0TL/R1&manufacture=Buffalo

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking to get a basic 2 slot or 4 slot NAS for media storage. I've looked around and the netgear and buffalo have mixed reviews. The D-Link 323 seems to have the best rating but I haven't heard if that is still the best one to go for or not.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

Drevoak posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking to get a basic 2 slot or 4 slot NAS for media storage. I've looked around and the netgear and buffalo have mixed reviews. The D-Link 323 seems to have the best rating but I haven't heard if that is still the best one to go for or not.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_nas&Itemid=&chart=15

I have a Synology DS1010+ arriving today.

The 710+ is a 2bay with about the same speed that allows the addition of a 5 drive expander unit.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

bob arctor posted:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_nas&Itemid=&chart=15

The 710+ is a 2bay with about the same speed that allows the addition of a 5 drive expander unit.

$500 for a 2 bay?

I'm just looking for one to steam movies to my Boxee Box. I don't think I need it to have the best speeds for it. Its only for a home network. I'd like to have 2x2TB in it and in a few years upgrade those.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I ran a d-link 323 for awhile and its pretty painless to setup and had decent speeds. If you just set it up as JBOD its up and running in no time. Didnt use any of the raid features or anything. It streamed to xbmc just fine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Drevoak posted:

I'd like to have 2x2TB in it and in a few years upgrade those.
Good luck. Based on what I've tested, a lot of NAS boxes currently don't have support for drives >2.19TB and there's no guarantee that a firmware will come along to fix it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm stuck deciding between the Synology DS211j or the D-Link 323. The DS211j looks to be new and I know the 323 has a good user base. The DS211j is supposedly faster than the 323 but is $60 cheaper.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good luck. Based on what I've tested, a lot of NAS boxes currently don't have support for drives >2.19TB and there's no guarantee that a firmware will come along to fix it.

Yeah, I just noticed that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Drevoak posted:

Yeah, I just noticed that.
poo poo I don't even think most SOHO NASes play nice with Advanced Format/4k-sector drives. I know Drobos got a firmware update for it, but we're at a point in drive technology where you really have to look at the approved drive list for any given NAS.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Alright, crunch time.

Base OS (and I'd really prefer it to stay this way) Windows 7 x64.

Drives: 6 x 1TB, 4 x 1.5TB

Data: Just under 4TB, and I'd really rather not lose it.

I was thinking of virtualizing either OpenSolaris (Which version?) for a gigantic ZFS pool, or Linux (for mdadm) to create an array here.

The idea migration path is push the 6 x 1 into a pool / array first, dump the data to it, then push the 4 x 1.5 into the array.

So far the hardware is laid out as such:

1 x 320GB - On ASUS M4A885-M, AMD SB710
Blu-Ray Drive - On ASUS M4A885-M, AMD SB710
4 x 1TB - On Asus M4A88T-M, AMD SB710
2 x 1TB - On Vantec SATA Raid Card (SIL-3114)
4 x 1.5TB - In Mediasonic 4 Bay External Enclousure w/ Port Multiplier. Attached to jMicron jmb363x controller.

Let me update the hardware configuration to ... clarify things a little.

In regard to performance, it's actually not terribly important here. I'm used to seeing about 70MB/s transferring new data to the system (It's being copied onto one of the 1.5s, over a Gig-E link). The most intensive thing this system ever does is play back 1080p content on system itself via VLC, or play Blu-Ray discs.

Overall, I want scalability and reliability here. How I'll actually "Back up" the 4TB of data, I have no loving clue. Unlimited online backup solution?

In terms of port-swappery, I could probably put the 6 x 1 on the motherboard, and migrate the Blu-Ray drive and boot HDD to the SATA1 card. I also have a free port on the jMicron card, but that's burdened enough as it is.

Oh, and I really should do image backups of the boot drive to something other than an array which depends on the boot drive to live. So that when it shits the bed, I'm not hosed.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 9, 2010

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
How were you going to store the OS, exactly? It would be a real trick of the paradox kind to boot Windows off a ZFS pool which was created by a virtualized guest within Windows. Ditto for mdadm.

Also, assuming you are using VirtualBox, you will need to pass the disks to the guest OS via command line within that OS. This means that you will need to install to a virtual HDD on, say, your host's hard disk.

Migration plan otherwise makes sense, though I'm not sure why you'd toss a SATA I PCI card in the mix. The mainboard has enough SATA ports to run all the hard disks on the card, as well. If you say "optical drives," I'd say "Put those on the card." But then, you have the 1.5 TB drives essentially sharing one PCI-E lane, so performance will be limited there well before it's limited by the PCI card.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I just wrestled with this for six hours, but it finally works:

How to partition four Advanced Format drives for OS and data redundancy using mdadm in Ubuntu Server 10.10

The installer will initialize your disks as GPT. This makes installing GRUB a horrible pain. Here's what finally worked for me.

Each drive gets four partitions:
sdX1: 64 KB BIOS boot reserved (will come out to 1 MB)
sdX2: system partition set, reserved for software RAID (I chose 60 GB partitions to give room for virtualizing other OSes)
sdX3: swap partition set, reserved for software RAID, half the size of RAM, aligned to end of drive
sdX4: all the gooey storage left over in the center (to be assembled into an array with mdadm or ZFS-fuse)

Software RAID md0 mounted as / - RAID10 on all sdX2 (120GB in my case)
Software RAID md1 mounted as swap - RAID10 on all sdX3 (8 GB in my case

I tried eight other arrangements of BIOS-reserved boot and dedicated /boot partitions, both single and mirrored. I ran in to endless problems because space requirements were not documented and known bugs with GRUB were preventing installation because it could not see mounted devices in /dev and/or insisted on installing itself to every drive regardless of where /boot was. This workaround clearly has some KISS-principle voodoo going on.

But the result is 1 or 2 drive tolerance (depending on which drives die) for the main operating system and flexibility for data partitions without the need for a pair of system-only drives hogging your SATA ports.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 10, 2010

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot
What's the cheapest/easiest way to get an External HDD on a wireless network? Can I buy a router with a USB port and plug it in the router? For some reason, I can't find good info on this.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Daily Life posted:

What's the cheapest/easiest way to get an External HDD on a wireless network? Can I buy a router with a USB port and plug it in the router? For some reason, I can't find good info on this.

Got a laptop / desktop which is always on? Attach it, and share.

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot

PopeOnARope posted:

Got a laptop / desktop which is always on? Attach it, and share.

I only have my laptop. I am trying to remove the need for wires basically...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Get a wireless router that has a USB 2.0 port for sharing?

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005
aren't there external enclosures that have ethernet ports?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tux Racer posted:

aren't there external enclosures that have ethernet ports?
Yes it's called a NAS. It's sort of what this thread is devoted to.

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot

Factory Factory posted:

Get a wireless router that has a USB 2.0 port for sharing?

So that would indeed work?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yeah. Annoyingly slowly and a router that supports it and also doesn't suck probably costs more than a second external hard drive, but yeah.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
you could get a seagate dockstar, which was designed for exactly this.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes it's called a NAS. It's sort of what this thread is devoted to.

Should have thought that one through. I was looking at external enclosures on Newegg and saw ethernet as an interface. Didn't even think about it.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

well looks like I might be able to get a dell iscsi SAN pretty cheap. Do you guys think it would be worth it ? I will be connecting it straight into my ESXi box so I don't have problems with that, I'm just not sure if this will be ok. ( It comes with 12x750gb sata disc So it would be worth it to upgrade all the discs)

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

bob arctor posted:

Any thoughts on the DS1010+? I'm looking to buy a NAS and this one seems interesting.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

tunah posted:

Any thoughts on the DS1010+? I'm looking to buy a NAS and this one seems interesting.

I haven't had a lot of time to test it yet, but so far using file mode iSCSI on a 5 disk RAID5 volume with is formatted NTFS while connected to a windows server 2k8 initiator the speeds I got were about 1/3 the small network builder tests. That said I didn't work too hard setting up my quick test and I'll run some proper tests the upcoming week.

One of my big issues I have with the NAS is what's going to be the best way to set it up to run on my network with the number of different configuration choices. available.

For iSCSI should I use block level which forces everything to be iSCSI because it's supposed to be a bit faster, should I format 2 drives in RAID 1 for block level iSCSI and use the other 3 in RAID5 for various CIFS, NFS and whatever else I want Shares.

I know enabling jumbo frames speeds thing up, but I also know not all of the devices on my LAN will handle jumbo frames, but I'm not sure if it's possible to have one switch with all the jumbo frames devices on it without having to set up some special routing between switches. (any help with jumbo frames would make my day.)

Finally there's the two gigabit interfaces figuring out how to configuring those optimally for the network.

Anyhow I'm going to muck around with it and do a bunch of speed tests before I settle on anything.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I am super pleased with my NAS build. I finally set up zfs-fuse and did a little benchmarking with dd, and I got 80+ MB/s read and write on a 6.5 GB transfer in RAIDZ2. My FreeNAS box usually ran at a :psyduck:-inducing 900 KB/s when just mirroring (on an otherwise-fast campus network, up to 10 MB/s directly connected via GbE). That's more than fast enough for what I need, especially considering that I was deciding between this build and premade NAS boxes that topped at 40 MB/s.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is anyone using Greyhole? If so what are your impressions?

http://www.greyhole.net/

Apparently the GUI works with Ubuntu now.

http://getsatisfaction.com/greyhole/topics/is_there_a_gui_for_greyhole

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just bought a synology DS209, and am having a few issues with it. I'm accessing it from OSX using AFP. Most of the time its fine, transfers are fast and it seems to be funcitoning perfectly. Randomly, the volume will just crash and will have to rebuilt (im running a raid 1 on two seagate 1tb drives). It seems to do this completely randomly, although I have noticed that it does it more often when I am copying from a SMB share to it, although I doubt thats related. Is my configuration to blame, or is it more likely that there is a problem with one of the drives or the synology itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

frogbs posted:

So I just bought a synology DS209, and am having a few issues with it. I'm accessing it from OSX using AFP. Most of the time its fine, transfers are fast and it seems to be funcitoning perfectly. Randomly, the volume will just crash and will have to rebuilt (im running a raid 1 on two seagate 1tb drives). It seems to do this completely randomly, although I have noticed that it does it more often when I am copying from a SMB share to it, although I doubt thats related. Is my configuration to blame, or is it more likely that there is a problem with one of the drives or the synology itself?

Same deal here. Volume kept crashing. I had enough with it and got this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321014&Tpk=acer%20aspire%20easystore