Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

SWATJester posted:

If I was going to do that, what areas of study actually lead to viable, interesting careers that are not dead-end hellhole shittraps like law?

Pharmacist?

Skip more school and learn a trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sigmachiev posted:

You can always roll the dice and get a PhD in English and go teach at a community college (legit good idea).

Academia is even worse for being a harrowing, effort-filled low % shot at greatness with almost no fallbacks than law is

Yeah if you can get settled in as a prof, even at a community college, you're set. Till then have fun being a sessional and being treated like something the dean scraped off his shoe, and if you don't like it there's more where you came from lined up at the door waiting to take your spot

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CaptainScraps posted:

If it's Texas law, give me $435 and I can have it to you Sunday night.

It's Mississippi law and Fifth Circuit law.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

You can always roll the dice and get a PhD in English and go teach at a community college (legit good idea).

If education is something you're interested in (not you, but the OP re: this issue) look for paralegal programs. You don't need to go back to get PhD, and it's a sweet job (pays well depending on the school, summers off, etc). It made my law degree not a waste, which it was looking like it would be when I realized I hated practicing. Of course, like anything, they're hard jobs to get,

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

It's Mississippi law and Fifth Circuit law.

Sorry dude.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CaptainScraps posted:

Sorry dude.

[IMG-DARTH VADER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO]

It's cool. I've got a good chunk of it done and I feel pretty good about it. I'd just prefer to have someone who knows what the hell they're doing look over my stuff.

CaptainComet
Aug 15, 2007
Chilling with my peeps and my main man the Monarch
3L at Cardozo here.

I've heard that goons maintain that law school is super fun- is this true, because I disagree.

CaptainComet fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 13, 2010

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

CaptainComet posted:

3L at Cardozo here.

I've heard that goons maintain a DropBox folder full of outlines- can I get a link so I can contribute/lift a few things?

Yeah I'll drop in some old outlines to take a look at what we got.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

CaptainComet posted:

Feces Starship posted:

note to retards, don't post in public forums about potentially illegal poo poo. edit your posts. god drat

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

ragle posted:

note to retards, don't post in public forums about potentially illegal poo poo. edit your posts please. god drat

How is that illegal? Students share notes all the time. I don't want, like, CANNED outlines, I'm looking for other student ones.

Also, how bad do your grades have to be for a firm to revoke an offer? Does that ever happen?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Feces Starship posted:

edit: nevermind

ragle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 13, 2010

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Is sharing outlines unethical now?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

ragle posted:

Okay maybe its not illegal just a massive violation of any reputable school's honor code? In a profession with licensing dependent on character&fitness? Why would anyone short of a full-blown autistic think this is something you should post about in a public forum

Why is it a massive violation of the honor code? We have a community outline drive at my law school, and students routinely join study groups where we share outlines with each other. Professors usually have a rule where you can't bring in anybody else's whole outline to an exam but they openly acknowledge that we share study materials.

Do you seriously think this would violate an honor code, or are you just trolling?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Feces Starship posted:

Yes. I think that activity violates many school ethic codes, or at least certainly individual professor's codes. Its well and good that at Columbia you think its okay but not everyone attends CLS. I'd prefer that this whole thing which might in some way be considered an ethical breach be kept off public forums but I guess that requires cooperation that isn't forthcoming

CaptainComet
Aug 15, 2007

ragle posted:

Yes. I think that activity violates many school ethic codes, or at least certainly individual professor's codes. Its well and good that at Columbia you think its okay but not everyone attends CLS. I'd prefer that this whole thing which might in some way be considered an ethical breach be kept off public forums but I guess that requires cooperation that isn't forthcoming

Jesus Christ.

I realize that this is a thread full of law students, but there's no need to be *quite* so worried about covering your rear end. Sharing longing looks across a subway car doesn't violate any honor codes, and even if it did, that's my problem. If you don't want to be implicated, don't reply.

Now, if anyone who has learned to unclench his butt cheeks is reading this... can I get a hug?

CaptainComet fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 13, 2010

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

ragle posted:

Our school has a sanctioned organization who's main draw is their online outline bank. I can't see how it's an ethics violation. Is it because it was produced by other students? Can you read other written material about your course or is that a violation too?

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

ragle posted:

It wasn't an ethics violation at UVA and we have the honor codes of all honor codes. It's not a violation at many, and I'd say most, reputable schools and sharing outlines is encouraged in many places - all of the journals at my school, for example, including law review, have outline banks hosted on the school server and the SBA outline bank is on the school's website.

If your school or your professor doesn't allow it, then don't participate in the activity and let the people who can share outlines, share outlines. You're not going to get an honor code violation because someone on this forum who is not you asks if anyone has a corporations outline.

CaptainComet
Aug 15, 2007
Ok, it looks like things are starting to get a bit derailed, with everyone making GBS threads on ragle for being a nervous nelly.

In the interest of actually getting some studying done, let's all just drop it- but seriously, can I get a hug? I promise I won't get upset.

CaptainComet fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 13, 2010

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
The first rule of fight club is that you beg to join it publicly then argue when group members ask you to shut the gently caress up with the public discussion. IIRC

there's an IRC channel. pro tip join that private discussion instead of talking here.

ragle fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 13, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ragle posted:

The first rule of fight club is that you beg to join it publicly then argue when group members ask you to shut the gently caress up with the public discussion. IIRC

there's an IRC channel. pro tip join that private discussion instead of talking here.

That would be silly because there's no reason not to discuss it publicly because it isn't fight club

CaptainComet
Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully this sorts everything.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

ragle posted:

While the posts asking for outlines seem completely innocent, your posts together read like a) it is an honor code at your particular school to share outlines and b) that you are involved in sharing outlines. If that's the case, you might want to do some editing yourself.

On a different note, I am reading a little packet about my ancestry that my grandfather wrote back in '82 and I got to his law schools days and this gem:

"Those were the days of the Great Depression and jobs were hard to come by, even for Harvard Law School graduates. I spent my first year working for free for a law firm..."

No jobs, die alone has been the motto of my family for years apparently and we keep becoming lawyers anyway.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I'm kind of enjoying finals but i don't feel like they're going very well. On the plus side, it seems like I'm going to have a fairly easy time getting a 1L summer job doing something that I want somewhere I wouldn't hate.

I like the material enough that I'm probably not going to drop out even if I'm below median. And I guess I'm still sort of hoping that I can go be an ADA somewhere (even if it pays like $35k and is in the desert) so I'm going to keep on keepin' on unless something really bad happens. I was making significantly less than that before I came to law school doing work that I didn't like. And it's not like I was ever going to be a submarine captain or a Jedi if I hadn't come to Duke. And maybe we'll get another championship.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ainsley McTree posted:

That would be silly because there's no reason not to discuss it publicly because it isn't fight club

too... many... negatives :psyboom:

I have an exam tomorrow that I haven't really studied much for. I have an outline from someone else (which is totally fine, ethically speaking), and I'll be using the BNA Tax portfolio on the subject. Should I try to study tonight and during the day tomorrow, or should I just admit that this particular course is just filler for my career and I don't really need it to be successful?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

entris posted:

too... many... negatives :psyboom:

I have an exam tomorrow that I haven't really studied much for. I have an outline from someone else (which is totally fine, ethically speaking), and I'll be using the BNA Tax portfolio on the subject. Should I try to study tonight and during the day tomorrow, or should I just admit that this particular course is just filler for my career and I don't really need it to be successful?

If you can't follow that sentence then how on earth do you read statutes

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you can't follow that sentence then how on earth do you read statutes

with scotch in hand, preferably!

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

entris posted:

I like your style!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

entris posted:

Presumably this is how they're written as well

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Belt of scotch? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cD9x1xTSjw

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm a patent examiner. I'm half-assedly applying to a law firm through a headhunter. Last night, I find out a friend of mine is a litigation support manager or something at the same firm; he told me to send him my resume.

What's the etiquette?

reposting this

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I don't care about ragle and I would like a link to the DropBox too.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

ragle posted:

Haha you're going to get a B- and everyone in your law school class rolls their eyes when you raise your hand

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

reposting this

That is a pretty specific situation so I doubt there'd be established protocol man. If you really want to work at that firm the "etiquette" is whatever gets you the job the fastest. If you have an in, ship your resume over to him. I'd do the same. That's the way people get jobs in this country (or so I hear)

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 13, 2010

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I think the most important question is what kind of retarded school doesn't allow outline sharing when the entire loving profession is made up of endlessly reusing boilerplate contracts and memos over and over goddamn

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

reposting this
Send him your resume, he'll pass it on to HR with a good word. Don't do anything about the headhunter because if they've already submitted your resume and they ask to pull it out you'll look like a douche.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

ragle posted:

I took a bankruptcy seminar/mock negotiation where we had to write an entire chapter 11 plan. This is like fifty pages, mostly boilerplate. After one of the other students submitted his plan, I asked the professor if I could copy it entirely, change one paragraph so that my side got all the money, and submit for a letter grade.

Professor thought that was a very intelligent idea. I did exactly that. Got an A on the paper. Professor explained that, in my situation, that was precisely what an intelligent practicing lawyer SHOULD would do.

Basically it sounds like you've got some bizarre version of ethics rattling around in your own head that is idiotic, nonsensical, and counterproductive.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Adar posted:

I think the most important question is what kind of retarded school doesn't allow outline sharing when the entire loving profession is made up of endlessly reusing boilerplate contracts and memos over and over goddamn

Not to mention there's a bunch of laws out there reaffirming that boilerplate is important.

Outline Chat is ridiculous. Use the DropBox if you find something helpful (my new uploads are coming tomorrow night btw for those looking for Business Associations/Corporations and Legislation down the line.)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
For those of you who want dropbox invites, send me a pm or an email (HiddenReplaced@gmail.com) with the email you have linked to your dropbox folder.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Adar posted:

I have a suspicion that firm billable hours probably got gutted by 80% or so once copy/paste was created.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

SWATJester posted:

Let's say I have hypothetically decided that my JD is useless and that I don't want a career in law. And then lets further say I decide to go back to grad school. If I was going to do that, what areas of study actually lead to viable, interesting careers that are not dead-end hellhole shittraps like law?

I went back to get my MS in CS, and seeing as how I'm already making more as an intern than I did as a practicing attorney I don't really regret it so far. Also, depending on what I can land after graduation, the interesting thing's probably going to hold up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Holy Christ - what school doesn't allow at least some outline sharing? That's like saying "No! You cannot buy an E&E for this class! We will hunt you down and fail you out!"

My school's website has outlines for almost every class that has been taught by a prof more than once. My theory is that they only choose the bad outlines to put on that site though, because some of them are damned near incoherent.