Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
What the heck was the name of the thread from a while back where some guy had annoying neighbors and his solution to this problem was to make some ridiculously annoying song and leave it on repeat while he was out of the house/possibly on vacation. The song was really loving long and just super super annoying and I really really want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hooah posted:

Is there an faster way to send PSN friend requests than on my PS3? Perhaps through something that already has a keyboard (my computer)?

You know you can use any USB or Bluetooth keyboard or mouse, even ones that are wireless with a USB dongle, on your PS3 right?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

I know the hive mind of SA says paypal sux, but is it really such a problem dealing with them?

All my ebay stuff (and other forum stuff) has been absolutely painless, and I only use paypal.

Paypal always favors the buyer over the seller. The guy can simply say it never arrived and get his money back. Try filing a complaint afterwards and get back to me in 29 years.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

madprocess posted:

You know you can use any USB or Bluetooth keyboard or mouse, even ones that are wireless with a USB dongle, on your PS3 right?

No, I did not know that. Thanks!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend a "practice" investment account that will closely emulate the real thing, like keeping track of dividend payments and such?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

kapalama posted:

I know the hive mind of SA says paypal sux, but is it really such a problem dealing with them?

All my ebay stuff (and other forum stuff) has been absolutely painless, and I only use paypal.

I personally have always been on the winning end of paypal problems, but I know plenty of people who had been had BAD. I had to dispute a transaction just a month ago over $300 that a photographer screwed me out of and all I did was say he didnt deliver what he said he would and they refunded my $300 and permanently closed his paypal account. In this instance I was 100% in the right, but I could have just as easily been a total scumbag and gotten my money back for no good reason. This is what worries me.

Elijya posted:

I'm the same, I've never had a problem. But I think we've both just been lucky enough to never encounter a major problem. I think people who have, and has paypal/eBay just throw up their arms and say "We can't help" to them get really pissed because it usually means they're out $50-60 or more.

A drat FOG posted:

It's not a "SA hive mind" thing, you can find stories all over the internet of people having their accounts frozen with no reason and other such garbage. It's not hard to understand or believe, since eBay essentially vaulted them into a monopoly over the whole "secure online transaction" market, although Google Checkout is here now too, which is great.

I use paypal a lot too and have never had a problem, but that's purely out of convenience. When you're talking about a service like Paypal that deals with immense volumes of money daily, even a very small percentage of problems and errors can be unacceptably high.

Exactly, SO many people use paypal that there are bound to be problems, but the problems I hear are always exactly the same story. "I sent them the right item, they disputed it and I lost my money and item."

I have read stories in the photo forums of people shipping $2k cameras and the guy receives it and disputes saying it was the wrong camera, then sends back a lovely thrift store camera.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

The March Hare posted:

What the heck was the name of the thread from a while back where some guy had annoying neighbors and his solution to this problem was to make some ridiculously annoying song and leave it on repeat while he was out of the house/possibly on vacation. The song was really loving long and just super super annoying and I really really want it.

stupidravershithead.mp3

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

:siren:After Effects question:siren:
In the image below there is a picture of the composition and layer window for my project.

Click here for the full 1600x900 image.

The psd that I am using is 720x480 when I saved it and when viewed in the layer window

but in the composition window you can see that it wont reach 720x480 and I am trying to figure out why that is. When I render the movie the the psd doesn't fit the 720x480 space either.

Any suggestions?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
It probably has something to do with the pixel aspect ratio of your composition. DV uses rectangular pixels, so if you didn't export your PSD with that ratio, it's squeezing them, and vice versa if you did and your composition isn't DV.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
A bit of an odd one, but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread-

Woke up yesterday. When I went to go outside to the shed, I found a little "present" wrapped up in tissue paper. On closer inspection, I saw it was poo poo. Wrapped up in tissues (no sticky tape). Sitting at my back door like a gift with some flies hanging around it.

Here is a rough diagram of my house for reference - I live in a townhouse so my backyard is quite small. To the left of me are more townhouses, to the right someones house.

The brown square is my "present" and the green bit behind the fence is my backyard.

I know it sounds suss when people say this, but I honestly don't think I have any enemies that would do this. Do you think that it was put there to scare me or it is just some douchebag dumping their rubbish over the fence?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Do you have cats or are there any nearby?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Does it look like human poo poo or dog poo poo or what?

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Well it looked and smelt like human poo poo to be honest. That's why I posted it, if it was dog or cat poo poo I would just assume it's some toolbag chucking their pets waste over my fence while taking them for a walk. It could be from a nappy or whatever, but it was just so creepy how it was just sitting there in the middle of the mat at the back door. It was partially open so you could see the poo poo when you first looked at it.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
I asked about cats because they like to set stuff on people's doorsteps, not because I wanted to know what kind of poo poo it was.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Loopyface posted:

I asked about cats because they like to set stuff on people's doorsteps, not because I wanted to know what kind of poo poo it was.

Where do you live that neighborhood cats take the time to gift wrap, never mind acquire human poo poo, to be left on someone's doorstep?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Where do you live that neighborhood cats take the time to gift wrap, never mind acquire human poo poo, to be left on someone's doorstep?

Yeah, 'cause that's what I meant. My guess was that an animal picked up the napkin-wrapped poo poo and left it there.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe it was a prank

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Loopyface posted:

Ahhh I see. Well I haven't seen any cats hanging around, we are near a pretty major street/road so I don't think people have them. Most people I've seen have dogs.

Fake edit: Yeah, that's what I hoping. A prank.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Rhizoid posted:

stupidravershithead.mp3

Thank you very much.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there like a megathread or something for shoes? An entire shoe forum perhaps???

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Not that I know of, but there are both male and female fashion threads in Watch and Woot. And there is a running shoe thread too, if I recall correctly.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just want to know what to do about a pair of boat shoes I have that are about half a size too big. I was going to return them but they got dirty so now I have to tough it out. Should I just wear 2 pairs of socks when I go out?

Also I want an opinion on sambas

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

change my name posted:

I just want to know what to do about a pair of boat shoes I have that are about half a size too big. I was going to return them but they got dirty so now I have to tough it out. Should I just wear 2 pairs of socks when I go out?

Don't wear socks with boat shoes - either clean them up and try to return them, sell them, or donate them and chalk it up to a lesson in trying things on. But seriously - boat shoes aren't worn with socks.

Sambas are great, very classic. You may wear socks with them.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

change my name posted:

FOr a long term approach, move to the tropics. My feet have permanently grown two shoe sizes from not wearing shoes for 10 years.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Paypal always favors the buyer over the seller. The guy can simply say it never arrived and get his money back. Try filing a complaint afterwards and get back to me in 29 years.

See I have actually been on both sides of a dispute. In both cases, I thought Paypal was exceptional thorough. They required me to show that I had communicated with the seller both in the original sale thread, and in private communication. They did not reverse the charge until the seller realized in the dispute thread that he had simply overlooked the sale.

On the other end, a dispute from a buyer was only cleared up when the buyer showed proof that he had returned the item, and I ackownledged that the item I recieved was the same item sold.

In both cases it was a many step process, and both sides agreed with the outcome before Paypal acted.

I am not white-knighting for paypal here, I am just wondering if the exceptional case is not exceptionally rare, or what.

They do absolutely suck for cutting off pdonations to WikiLeaks, SA's Katrina drive, Anki donations, etc.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Okay, stupid & small questions megathread, here is the stupidest and smallest question ever.

A few years ago I bought a friend of mine a Resident Evil: Code Veronica Zippo Lighter from some kind of collector's fair for geeks. This is the best online pic I can find for it (and I'm not even certain it looks exactly like this):

Now, for no reason at all, we both really want to know where it came from originally. Was it part of some premium edition of the game or something? If anyone has any idea, please help us out.

Samuelthebold
Jul 9, 2007
Astra Superstar
Stupid question time!

Yesterday, I put together my patented homemade kahlua recipe with the intent of letting it age for 6 weeks in a sealed glass container. I have done this before, but for shorter aging periods e.g. 2 weeks. This batch will be for a friend's birthday party, and I think the extra aging will help the flavor.

Is there ANY danger from bacteria living and/or propagating in the container during this time? The mix is about 50% vodka, therefore 20% alcohol. It seems to me that that should be plenty to keep bacteria activity down, but a little googling suggests that that is not always the case. I can't find information specifically about my kind of situation, though, so if anyone can confidently answer, my friends and I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

change my name posted:

Is there like a megathread or something for shoes? An entire shoe forum perhaps???

Footwear Megathread

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2IHnWY-i6Y

What's the name of the song at the very beginning of this video?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Stupid Question time: What is a punter, (aapparently British English) in american terms? There are some connotations missing from the online sources.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

kapalama posted:

Stupid Question time: What is a punter, (aapparently British English) in american terms? There are some connotations missing from the online sources.

A consumer, a customer. For example, if you were running a market stall, you could employ marketing strategies to "bring in the punters". It's very informal and has kind of negative connotations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

eating only apples posted:

A consumer, a customer. For example, if you were running a market stall, you could employ marketing strategies to "bring in the punters". It's very informal and has kind of negative connotations.

So, kind of a credulous person or a mark?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Mechafunkzilla posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2IHnWY-i6Y

What's the name of the song at the very beginning of this video?

Song identification megathread

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sanford posted:

Okay, stupid & small questions megathread, here is the stupidest and smallest question ever.

A few years ago I bought a friend of mine a Resident Evil: Code Veronica Zippo Lighter from some kind of collector's fair for geeks. This is the best online pic I can find for it (and I'm not even certain it looks exactly like this):

Now, for no reason at all, we both really want to know where it came from originally. Was it part of some premium edition of the game or something? If anyone has any idea, please help us out.
I don't think that was part of some special edition of the game because I collected all of that stuff back then and never came across it. Although it could have been a collectible with a special edition of the GameCube version, it was more than likely just a standalone piece of merchandise for CODE: Veronica.

They made zippos for a few of the games because almost all of them have a lighter as a puzzle item.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So, kind of a credulous person or a mark?

It's not as strong as "someone you intend to defraud", maybe more like "sucker".

Or "sheeple", even though that's awful internet slang.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Danger Mahoney posted:

Can anyone recommend a "practice" investment account that will closely emulate the real thing, like keeping track of dividend payments and such?

Updown. They start you out with a million fake dollars and you can invest it in any stock(s) you want and it will fluctuate with the actual market (with a 15 minute delay). I used this for a year or so and it worked well.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Akuma posted:

I don't think that was part of some special edition of the game because I collected all of that stuff back then and never came across it. Although it could have been a collectible with a special edition of the GameCube version, it was more than likely just a standalone piece of merchandise for CODE: Veronica.

They made zippos for a few of the games because almost all of them have a lighter as a puzzle item.

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for; thanks very much for your assistance.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Up until now, everythings been normal, but just recently I've found that if I take any kind of Aspirin / Paracetamol tablet with Caffeine in it, I get rediculously horny, to an awkward level. I'm assuming its the Caffeine rather than the other stuff, but does anyone know why this is the case all of a sudden? I get headaches pretty much every day, and while I dont take this stuff that often am concerned I probably shouldn't going forward. Is this normal / some kind of reaction? I consulted google but cant find any convincing consensus.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Are you a girl? The only thing I've ever heard was that female rats supposedly wanted the cock a lot more when scientists gave them caffeine, but I don't think they've translated that to humans yet.

Please do tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Nah, I'm a dude. It's not really like its a problem, its just weird how mega intense it is, especially for something just over the counter, and how it only started being the case recently. Also, it happens within minutes, possibly seconds of taking it? I didn't think it was possible for something to be so fast acting, certainly the painkilling aspect doesn't kick in for a good while.