Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Blu-Ray.com reviewers have released their top 10 of 2010 lists. While the Alien Anthology is nowhere to be found, Dustin Somner has Pandorum as one of his ten best. loving idiot.

I couldn't limit myself to just ten, so here are my top 20 in no particular order:

The World at War
Twilight Zone Seasons 1 and 2
Deadwood: The Complete Series
The Alien Anthology
The Thin Red Line
Beauty and the Beast
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Atonement
What's Up, Doc?
Days of Heaven
Moulin Rouge!
The Evil Dead
The White Ribbon
Minority Report
Winter's Bone
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season 1
Doctor Zhivago
Apocalypse Now
House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I watched inception tonight, and I had some serious sync issues. Like ellen's dialogue playing while dicaprio's mouth was moving. Luckily there was an update for my player as soon as I checked, I thought it was going go be like avatar all over again and have to wait a few weeks.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Ineffiable posted:

and the PS3 makes for a decent netflix, other media player as well (support for external harddrives, flash drives, and I think even ipods)
Netflix is incredibly nice these days on the PS3, what with it not required a boot DVD of sorts.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Cable Guy is up for pre-order with an expected release date in March.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Only tangibly related I know, but all this talk of HD streaming using Netflix is making me jealous because the UK Netflix equivalent, Lovefilm, just launched their streaming for the PS3 and it is absolutely loving atrocious.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Burn Notice Season 2 dropped to $11.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XJBE5C?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001XJBE5C

-edit And Glee Season 1 dropped to $34.99 as boxset of the week

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032JTV74?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0032JTV74

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 12, 2010

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Adrianics posted:

Only tangibly related I know, but all this talk of HD streaming using Netflix is making me jealous because the UK Netflix equivalent, Lovefilm, just launched their streaming for the PS3 and it is absolutely loving atrocious.

It's a mixed bag, to be honest. Certain films look fine, but others are just horrendous. I'd love HD streaming though, hopefully that's around the corner.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010
for the record, Ive watched Netflix films in "HD", and they are far from perfect. I would spit out some technical terms to describe the imperfections, but I don't really know what Im talking about when it comes to video terms. Just don't expect Netflix HD streaming to look like a blu ray, because they arent yet hitting that quality mark.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sursumdeorsum posted:

for the record, Ive watched Netflix films in "HD", and they are far from perfect. I would spit out some technical terms to describe the imperfections, but I don't really know what Im talking about when it comes to video terms. Just don't expect Netflix HD streaming to look like a blu ray, because they arent yet hitting that quality mark.

Of course it can't be the same since it's nowhere close to the Blu Ray +20Mbps data rate.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Since the PS3 got Netflix on the system itself, the HD's been working like a dream for me. There aren't any more dips in quality. I only have a 32" 720p TV but it looks fantastic.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trip report: Alliance Canada's release of Life is Beautiful. 1080p, lossless audio, correct aspect ratio. A/V presentation is fantastic, even doubly so when you consider the distributor. As with Amelie and City of God, don't bother waiting for a US release - this is as good as it's likely to get, and it's reasonably priced to boot.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Guess what loving Universal went and fixed?

Assholes.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Bambi posted:

Assholes.

Fuuuuuck... replacement program on the horizon?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I guess it's possible - they did it with Battlestar Galactica. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Ok, I updated my bluray player and watched inception again tonight, still getting skips in the video and audio. Has anyone else had this issue?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What the hell? Burn Notice is only season 2 on bluray as of for now?

Not to try and be a typical sperging goon here, but as cheap as it is, I don't want to buy it if there's no blu of season 1.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Bambi posted:

I guess it's possible - they did it with Battlestar Galactica. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

I didn't even know about this. I just went and sent a request to get the new covers using the Universal contact form. Hopefully it is still going on. If not oh well.

What is the method to determining if BTTF is the new case? I haven't purchases it yet and I want the good case when I finally do.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Not to try and be a typical sperging goon here, but as cheap as it is, I don't want to buy it if there's no blu of season 1.

Fox is notoriously terrible about TV shows on BD - How I Met Your Mother, Burn Notice, My Name is Earl, Lie to Me, White Collar, etc. all only got 1 season on BD, and then Fox said gently caress it and went right back to DVD only. I imagine the reason why a lot of them recently plummeted in price is because they'll be going out of print soon and they have no plans whatsoever to release any of the rest of the seasons on Blu-Ray ever.

The Black Pirate from Kino looks like a stunner.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Ok, I updated my bluray player and watched inception again tonight, still getting skips in the video and audio. Has anyone else had this issue?

If you just updated, and no other disc has these problems, it's most likely the disc. Go exchange it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bambi posted:

Assholes.

What am I not seeing?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

What am I not seeing?

The original packaging had some stupidly over-complicated mechanism for storing the discs that made you feel like you were going to break something every time you took them out/put them back in (and in fact, some people did). New packaging is a standard snap-in disc tray.

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns
edit: nm

demons_souls fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 13, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bambi posted:

Fox is notoriously terrible about TV shows on BD

The big huge "gently caress you" example is how they stopped putting out King Of The Hill DVDs after season six.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Bambi posted:

Assholes.

Looks like my letter worked! You're welcome guys.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

To add to what Bambi said, they crammed all of the episodes onto 3 discs so they look like poo poo

Neon Bible
May 4, 2009

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Every now and then the audio stops for one second and isn't in sync with the picture anymore. Pressing Pause and Play and the audio and video syncs up again.

I have to say my player (LG BD350) seems to have quite a lot of problems with blu-rays from Warner, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bambi posted:

The Black Pirate from Kino looks like a stunner.

:aaa:

It'll be so cool to have a two-strip Technicolor film in HD. I like that Kino didn't mess with anything: no DVNR and no color tweaking. I'm really enjoying Blu-Ray.com's reviews since they tend to get people who actually know about film technology and don't give a transfer two stars for being grainy and having light damage.

I'm wondering what Kino will release next - Our Hospitality is probably going to be the next Keaton (an HD clip appears in the Sherlock Jr. documentary), but they also have all the D.W. Griffith films (the "Man's Genesis" excerpt on Sherlock Jr. is true HD) and pretty much all of the Transit Film/Murnau Foundation library. Lang's Die Nibelungen is supposed to have a new digital restoration out by next year, too.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Neon Bible posted:

Every now and then the audio stops for one second and isn't in sync with the picture anymore. Pressing Pause and Play and the audio and video syncs up again.

I have to say my player (LG BD350) seems to have quite a lot of problems with blu-rays from Warner, though.

On the bluray.com forums it was pointed out that it seems to just be LG players and a few samsung players. I'll probably exchange the disk even though it's not always skipping in the same spots.

pissedoffcrawdad
Jul 21, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

My first experience with Deep Discount was the Breaking Bad 2 for 1 sale. I won't be buying from them again unless the deal is extreme.

After 2 months I received the first season of Breaking Bad. I'm still waiting on the second season. I tried to cancel my order when the Amazon deal showed up around black Friday but that didn't seem to work as the order remained open on their website. So now I'm kind of in limbo about whether the second season is going to ship. I sent an email to customer service day before yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back.

I'm in the exact same position. It's completely ridiculous at this point. I actually ordered them on Amazon while they were on sale and canceled the Deep Discount order, but DD shipped out and charged me for season 1 a couple days later anyway. So right now, I can't cancel any further, but they still show up as on an open order.

I sold season 1 to my parents, since I had a copy from each retailer, but I have no idea if/when season 2 will ship. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend Deep Discount under any circumstances. I'd like to hear if they get back to you, though; the one email I got on the problem was an automated one saying "your item is backordered" a month after I'd placed my order.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There were alot of kind of price drops on good movies today at Amazon.

America Lost And Found: The BBS Story (Head/Easy Rider/Five Easy Pieces/Drive, He Said/A Safe Place/The Last Picture Show/The King of Marvin Gardens) - $69.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYU3SC?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003ZYU3SC

The Complete Metropolis - $21.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040QYROK?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0040QYROK

Modern Times - $19.49 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYU3T6?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003ZYU3T6

The Night Of The Hunter - $24.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYU3TQ?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003ZYU3TQ

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with the region-modded Sharp player DVDBeaver is plugging? Seems to be the cheapest way to get into Region B/C movies.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Twilight Zone Season 1

$48.99

Amazon

:woot:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Twilight Zone Season 1

$48.99

Amazon

:woot:

Costco has both seasons for $45 each as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Life and Planet Earth, bundled together for $56.49 on Amazon, I think I saw it for $49.99 at CostCo. It's almost like a 2 for 1 deal.

Now if only they'd do the same for BoB and Pacific...

edit: ahh, you're right VVVVV

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 14, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Life is the Oprah version though, by the looks of it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True Grit reviewed

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

True Grit reviewed

I'm guessing whoever supervised the mastering was wearing two eyepatches. Not awful, but that's some really ugly DVNR smearing.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Ugh, my True Grit pre-order already shipped too. Damnit.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Digital Bits suggests that we may see an extended cut of 2001: A Space Odyssey next year:

quote:

Over on the Space: 1999 fan site Eagle Transporter.com, there's a posted report on an event from September with Douglas Trumbull, in which he confirmed that the behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of 2001: A Space Odyssey is no longer happening. That we already knew. The more interesting thing however, is that Trumbull indicated that some 17 minutes worth of footage was cut from the film before its theatrical release by director Stanley Kubrick, and that Warner has discovered that footage in their film vaults. Hopefully, at least THAT much will find its way onto Warner's new Blu-ray release, due sometime next year.

If you're buying The A-Team, get it at Target. It's $22.99 now, but it'll be $14.99 the week of the 26th and you can just get it price-adjusted then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

doctor thodt posted:

The Digital Bits suggests that we may see an extended cut of 2001: A Space Odyssey next year:

:aaaaa:

That sounds unbelievably awesome. We might get to see the classroom scene, or maybe it'll just be the original "interview" sequence that preceded an early cut, or maybe it'll just be seventeen minutes of jogging. I don't care if it's just silent footage of spacewalks, this rules.

• Locked thread