Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

At BMQ, when it's time to hit the gym, are you allowed to just do what you please in that time, or are you given a workout plan? I'd be a bit chuffed if I had to abandon my routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

At BMQ, when it's time to hit the gym, are you allowed to just do what you please in that time, or are you given a workout plan? I'd be a bit chuffed if I had to abandon my routine.

At BMQ, you're probably going to lose some muscle mass. I did. When they take you to the gym, the PSP are going to be all over your rear end if you don't follow their retarded work out plans. Suck it up and just do what you're told, that's what BMQ is all about.

After BMQ, depending on what branch you are, you're going to have all the time in the world to use the gym. Unless you're army combat arms, then expect the dickery to continue.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
They will have laminate work out plans you will grab after the warm up that you will be expected to adhere too. You can work out in your own time (when you get it).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The work-out plans are mainly for people that think the smith-machine is a great workout for your arms. Plan accordingly.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ruse posted:

When they take you to the gym, the PSP are going to be all over your rear end if you don't follow their retarded work out plans.

Well, that's not too bad, I guess.

The Amputee House posted:

You can work out in your own time (when you get it).

Oh, hey, awesome!

MA-Horus posted:

The work-out plans are mainly for people that think the smith-machine is a great workout for your arms. Plan accordingly.

:qq:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
In basic you can work out on weekends. You aren't allowed in the gym after you get off during weekdays. A recruit on my platoon went down to the gym in his PTs and got reamed for it. I used to just throw on on civvies and go for base runs, but it's not possible to hit the gym.

And also, you go to the weight room for PT 3 times during basic. Most of the PT is either pool PT (which is loving hell) or circuit PT outside. You work with your section to accomplish some task (like pulling a sled full of medicine balls or running jerry cans from one place to another) in a certain amount of time, then on to the next exercise.

I'm pretty sure PT in BMQ isn't to get you in better shape, it's just there to be a pain in the rear end. Don't expect to get stronger in BMQ. You'll probably lose weight since you're always being beasted/not sleeping/doing PT.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

And if you try to do extra stuff on your own time (If you like doing situps or pushups as soon as you wake up) get out of that routine as soon as possible. If instructors see you they'll make everyone around you join in, and say somethine like "Oh we're not giving you enough PT? Alright, extra poo poo for everyone because Pte Blade here isn't getting enough of a workout."

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

Your a Master jack right? Arnt you one of the spec Navy trades that get all the sea pay and land pay and all that other good stuff? He is only making 750 a check, but before rations and quarters I think they get about 2600 a month.

Yeah that was a subtle recruiting push for the Navy. Spec pay and 800+ PLD for West Coast. I'm also ashore right now so am not collecting sea duty allowance, however that much is for 5 years sea time (close to $400/mo?).

edit - I do believe all Navy trades except bos'n and navcomm eventually draw specpay (i.e. retention pay)

Recruiting mode off:

I worked with a guy who eventually quit because he had a nervous breakdown from all the sailing. He said he wisest thing I've ever heard about the navy - "They don't have to pay us more money, they just have to make it suck less." We get all of the bullshit sailing with none of the debauchery of the old days to numb the pain. It's all "diplomatic incident" this and "drunk on duty" that...

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

compressioncut posted:

"They don't have to pay us more money, they just have to make it suck less."

Stick him on an army base in winter for a week and he will change his mind. I know so many people who were trying to be infantry re-muster as Navy or Air Force. The Navy has so much to offer and you are treated like a human being. My buddy who was on my DP1 described Navy life as a paid vacation. If I got back its going to be Air Force or Navy, well all depending on where my apprenticeship takes me.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

Stick him on an army base in winter for a week and he will change his mind. I know so many people who were trying to be infantry re-muster as Navy or Air Force. The Navy has so much to offer and you are treated like a human being. My buddy who was on my DP1 described Navy life as a paid vacation. If I got back its going to be Air Force or Navy, well all depending on where my apprenticeship takes me.

Horseshit. The guy I quoted was an infantry remuster, and I know PLENTY of them. Seven of ten on my QL3 were some sort of remuster, and only two of them are still in the Navy (me and another). The grass is always greener but believe the hell out of me, it will grind you down - death by a thousand cuts. And I'm probably going to be a Chief in 5 years (jinxed myself...), imagine the attitude of someone who's humping away as a killick forever. My strategy is to be as good as humanly possible at sea so I don't have to spend more than the required amount of time there. Still brutal.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
How quick are promotions in the navy? I know a PO1 who only has like 8 years in, is that common?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Samu posted:

How quick are promotions in the navy? I know a PO1 who only has like 8 years in, is that common?

In my short experience, that is not common. What trade was he/she?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
I only get 30 minutes for PT with my troops for the SQ I am being Course O starting January. I had all big plans to take everyone and do some weight training but guess that's not going to happen :(. I might do a few but they will only be technique based because of that time restriction.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
30 minutes? drat. I guess that's why everyone starts gravitating towards the cult of crossfit, with such small time allotment. At least 25mm ammo cans and sandbags are reasonably easy to fit into a weight routine (albeit a light one).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

8 years for PO1? Goddamn! I guess in the real forces you have to earn your promotions. I knew a guy that made master in 2.5 years (He had literally BMQ, SQ, DP1 Arty, Leadership course) and had just made corporal a few months before. Then about a year later he gets sergeant.

Then again something like 50-60% of the SNCOs in that unit transferred or retired within a year. But he was a TERRIBLE power-tripping master jack.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

8 years for PO1? Goddamn! I guess in the real forces you have to earn your promotions. I knew a guy that made master in 2.5 years (He had literally BMQ, SQ, DP1 Arty, Leadership course) and had just made corporal a few months before. Then about a year later he gets sergeant.

Then again something like 50-60% of the SNCOs in that unit transferred or retired within a year. But he was a TERRIBLE power-tripping master jack.

This is why you don't promote people who have 2.5 years in.

At our pre-holiday briefings this year they mentioned that the CF intends for MCpls to be promoted to Sgt with only a year in rank. Has anyone else heard of this?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

acumen posted:

This is why you don't promote people who have 2.5 years in.

At our pre-holiday briefings this year they mentioned that the CF intends for MCpls to be promoted to Sgt with only a year in rank. Has anyone else heard of this?

This is a terrible goddamn idea. Is there some sort of crippling lack of SNCOs where this would be required? Or are they really looking for 23 year old sergeants?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I have no idea. Maybe it's to entice all the Cpl/Ptes who joined to fight the Tallyban and are now all getting out because we're setting up tent groups again.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Simkin posted:

30 minutes? drat. I guess that's why everyone starts gravitating towards the cult of crossfit, with such small time allotment. At least 25mm ammo cans and sandbags are reasonably easy to fit into a weight routine (albeit a light one).

yeah it's kind of frustrating. Some young MCpls and Sgts can be accounted for a policy enacted a while ago where they CF did a near blanket promotion of all Cpls to MCpls regardless of time in. Can't remember how long ago it was though.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

gently caress, by the way my courses have worked out, I could get my DP1 before my contract ends!!

(Actualy I'm just bitching, my DP1 is in February.)

I was in Ottawa for the last week and I saw a shitton of uniforms around downtown. Where are all these guys posted to? I can understand the Majors and up working at NDHQ, but I saw a couple of no hook privates with engineer badges and air force Corporals and stuff running around. I even saw an RCR warrant :wtc:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Can anyone tell me about the Canadian Rangers? I know it's mostly for old people with too much time on their hands (at least from my understanding) but on the other hand it seems kind of fun and I'd like to be able to do something that doesn't have the worlds largest time commitment.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Samu posted:

I was in Ottawa for the last week and I saw a shitton of uniforms around downtown. Where are all these guys posted to? I can understand the Majors and up working at NDHQ, but I saw a couple of no hook privates with engineer badges and air force Corporals and stuff running around. I even saw an RCR warrant :wtc:

There are many positions at NDHQ for NCMs. Hell, even my trade has billets in Ottawa (NCIOp). Can you imagine how retarded things would become if we only let officers run everything? Keeps me up at night.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

I only get 30 minutes for PT with my troops for the SQ I am being Course O starting January. I had all big plans to take everyone and do some weight training but guess that's not going to happen :(. I might do a few but they will only be technique based because of that time restriction.

With only 30 minutes you're only going to be really be able to effectively work on the anaerobic alactic and lactic power systems. Focus on making workouts with fast and intense movements for 20-45 seconds, incorporating rest as well.

A pretty good one I did a couple of weeks ago was:

6 Rounds (I think)
30 seconds KB Swings (35 pounds)
30 seconds Box jumps (18")
30 seconds Sprawls

Rest 1 minute between rounds.

It was loving brutal and if you put troops through it, you'll see pretty good improvements in 2.4 and 5k times, as well as general soldierly tasks like section attacks.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

Can anyone tell me about the Canadian Rangers? I know it's mostly for old people with too much time on their hands (at least from my understanding) but on the other hand it seems kind of fun and I'd like to be able to do something that doesn't have the worlds largest time commitment.

I think if you like going out into the bush for long walks you might enjoy the Rangers. I'm sure it varies wildly by individual unit though. Either way, you get paid and get a free red sweater and stuff so it can't be all bad, right?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lassitude posted:

I think if you like going out into the bush for long walks you might enjoy the Rangers. I'm sure it varies wildly by individual unit though. Either way, you get paid and get a free red sweater and stuff so it can't be all bad, right?

I'm a geology grad student so I do that anyways, anyone know any more details?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

What part of the country are you considering getting involved with the Rangers in? When I was on Baffin Island a few years ago we worked alongside the Rangers there. They were all Inuit guys, and they all tended to do a lot of hunting and fishing stuff together. They lived off of the ocean and the land entirely in some cases, so going on patrols and stuff was something they'd do anyway to hunt caribou or seals or whatever. The Ranger group was just a sort of natural extension of their community, with their leader being an "elder" guy, and them doing a lot of traditional sorts of stuff. They were mainly older guys but there were a couple guys in their 20's, as well, and apart from those young guys their English was really spotty. The weren't at all serious about any of the army stuff, like timings, saluting, etc, but nobody cared.

But, I am sure that a Ranger group in northern Ontario might be totally, totally different from these guys I worked with. The only way to really get a good idea of what they're about would be to talk to some of them.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh, neat. I found out today:

all our LSVWs are broken and cannot start
all our MilCOTS are spontaneous fire hazards and cannot be parked within 2m of another vehicle or building
all our MLVWs are restricted and cannot be used over 60km/h, or on highways

Our only working vehicle at this point is a big blue van.

Welcome to the Comms Reserve. :suicide:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Man, our MLs are nuts. The new ones are always broken but the ones from the 70's are indestructible

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

tuyop posted:

With only 30 minutes you're only going to be really be able to effectively work on the anaerobic alactic and lactic power systems. Focus on making workouts with fast and intense movements for 20-45 seconds, incorporating rest as well.

A pretty good one I did a couple of weeks ago was:

6 Rounds (I think)
30 seconds KB Swings (35 pounds)
30 seconds Box jumps (18")
30 seconds Sprawls

Rest 1 minute between rounds.

It was loving brutal and if you put troops through it, you'll see pretty good improvements in 2.4 and 5k times, as well as general soldierly tasks like section attacks.

That's a decent idea.

I am also thinking of a 5 min round of duckwalk soccer

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Canuck-Errant posted:

The entire CF's fleet of ML's are not safe enough for troop carrying right now. Some axle or suspension problem or something.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lassitude posted:

What part of the country are you considering getting involved with the Rangers in? When I was on Baffin Island a few years ago we worked alongside the Rangers there. They were all Inuit guys, and they all tended to do a lot of hunting and fishing stuff together. They lived off of the ocean and the land entirely in some cases, so going on patrols and stuff was something they'd do anyway to hunt caribou or seals or whatever. The Ranger group was just a sort of natural extension of their community, with their leader being an "elder" guy, and them doing a lot of traditional sorts of stuff. They were mainly older guys but there were a couple guys in their 20's, as well, and apart from those young guys their English was really spotty. The weren't at all serious about any of the army stuff, like timings, saluting, etc, but nobody cared.

But, I am sure that a Ranger group in northern Ontario might be totally, totally different from these guys I worked with. The only way to really get a good idea of what they're about would be to talk to some of them.

Problem is I'm in New Brunswick, so it's not like we're actually a region covered by the rangers.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Samu posted:

Man, our MLs are nuts. The new ones are always broken but the ones from the 70's are indestructible

Hahahahaha no, they're not.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Canuck-Errant posted:

all our LSVWs are broken and cannot start
all our MilCOTS are spontaneous fire hazards and cannot be parked within 2m of another vehicle or building

Our only working vehicle at this point is a big blue van.

Welcome to the Comms Reserve. :suicide:

I can't really get into the details but I just got back from a month at sea on Canada's only currently working Submarine and lets just say things got pretty interesting in regards to some equipment. 100m+ underwater is not when you want poo poo to fail.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Jebus posted:

I can't really get into the details but I just got back from a month at sea on Canada's only currently working Submarine and lets just say things got pretty interesting in regards to some equipment. 100m+ underwater is not when you want poo poo to fail.

Yeah, that would tend to suck. No big blue van to fall back on, for one

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I thought Victoria and Corner Brook were both in service now? Or has something broken on them yet again?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So why do we even have submarines and fighter jets and such? We will literally never use them for combat with the Cold War being over, and with the US as our close neighbour we obviously don't have anything to be worried about when it comes to invasions (unless Sarah Palin gets elected and invades us, but jets won't do us any good then either). Shouldn't we be scrapping all that expensive bullshit that will never get any use before it deteriorates beyond hope of repair? Wouldn't just everything-but-submarines and transport helicopters/planes be basically all we'd need in a navy/airforce? Or are doing patrols with submarines now that the Ruskies are neutered really that important for us?

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 20, 2010

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lassitude posted:

with the US as our close neighbour we obviously don't have anything to be worried about when it comes to invasions

Is this a real question? How can a country maintain sovereignty by outsourcing it's security?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yes this is a wonderful idea just let the Americans handle all our national security. On that note, why not let them handle all of those mineral-rich territories in the arctic that belong to us? I'm sure they'll give us a generous share of what they find.

Every nation on earth has a military presence. That's like asking why the Netherlands has a military, Germany is right beside them, right?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Actually I was just talking about fighter aircraft and submarines really, not the entire thing. Military forces are useful for a lot more than just waging war, but maintaining submarines and fighter aircraft at this point seems useless.

MA-Horus posted:

Every nation on earth has a military presence.

That's actually not true by a long shot, but it's not what I was suggesting Canada might do, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Lassitude posted:

Actually I was just talking about fighter aircraft and submarines really, not the entire thing. Military forces are useful for a lot more than just waging war, but maintaining submarines and fighter aircraft at this point seems useless.

Which goes to show how little you know about what we do in the submarine service. Not really your fault, our problem has always been that while we do a lot of real ops, its mostly covert and we can't really talk about them.

Submarines are a huge force multiplier, and we do all kinds of stuff that's not just "cold war poo poo", I'm just not sure how much I can share.

I will say that there is a reason why getting the Vic back in service right now is the Navy's #1 priority (2nd is Felex).