Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD
Or maybe Robert Lowell's Collected Poems.

Just not Chuck. Anything but Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
What's wrong with Chuck?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

King Plum the Nth posted:

What's wrong with Chuck?

Now that he can flash again he doesn't need poetry anthologies.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

What's wrong with Chuck?

His absolutely awful and limited vocabulary, his freshman-level philosophical musings, and his lack of anything approaching a complex or innovative symbol or metaphor makes him think that any poet or writer who does things differently from him is a pretentious bore. He's also a huge misogynist.

e: His poetry is also just prose with too many line breaks. Bad prose at that.

7 y.o. bitch fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 30, 2010

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

7 y.o. bitch posted:

His absolutely awful and limited vocabulary, his freshman-level philosophical musings, and his lack of anything approaching a complex or innovative symbol or metaphor makes him think that any poet or writer who does things differently from him is a pretentious bore. He's also a huge misogynist.

e: His poetry is also just prose with too many line breaks. Bad prose at that.

High school freshman or college?

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD

High school freshman or college?

College. High school freshmen are just idiots. I'm not calling Chuck Buck an idiot, just a terrible poet and thinker.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

7 y.o. bitch posted:

College. High school freshmen are just idiots. I'm not calling Chuck Buck an idiot, just a terrible poet and thinker.

Honestly, I couldn't tell from your posts that you differentiated. I've always loved this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrn1LDDoRc

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Honestly, I couldn't tell from your posts that you differentiated. I've always loved this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrn1LDDoRc

This one's always been my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cF09rpCHoU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

That's hilarious; I have a friend who loves Ellroy so much I like him just by association. It's weird that I haven't read him yet as enthusiastically as he's been recommended. Is Bukowski really that popular with Germans or is that part of the joke?

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
I don't think poetry needs to have metaphors and symbols to be good... I just think it needs to be pleasing to the reader, which many of Bukowski's poems are for me. Don't get me wrong, guys like e.e. cummings and T.S. Eliot are great, but I like Bukowski too...

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

To anyone who reads literary criticism a lot, has anyone done responses to B.R. Meyer's horseshit? I've read some of his New Republic reviews, and honestly as much as he masquerades as some defender of the common class reader just hoping those nasty Ivory Tower academics stop promoting really hard to understand books like Cormac McCarthy, he is one of those Ivory Tower academics he's dreamed up.

One only needs look at Jonathan Franzen review to find some deeply unsettling class warfare going on his mind: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/10/smaller-than-life/8212/ (At least, unless you believe extreme Conservatives should apply their political thinking to literary criticism.)

Edit: I will say I've never read Franzen, and while the first few sentences of his review interested me when he reached the smug anti-Jon Stewartism-smugness lines and continued on into a haughty section about how by giving his young characters youthful talk (you know, accurately referring to sex as loving like most horny teenage boys would?) he's inherently written a juvenile novel I lost all hope for sanity. And indeed, sanity did not prevail in the rest of his articles, either.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 30, 2010

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Bukowski owns, and if you don't think so you're a horrible and elitist dork. :colbert:

Ok I've never read his poetry, but his novels are awesome drunkass rambling fun.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Bukowski owns, and if you don't think so you're a horrible and elitist dork. :colbert:

Ok I've never read his poetry, but his novels are awesome drunkass rambling fun.

I enjoyed his novel Post Office, and figured I'd enjoy Bone Palace Ballet (a poetry collection) as well but while there were some poems in the beginning I liked by the end I was reading out of duty. It's 400 pages of variations of a) "I don't TELL people what I write I just write you dumb gently caress" b) awesome tales of gang raping women with his friends at age 14, slapping women, cheating on women, and yelling at women c) rampant acts of being an rear end in a top hat. Sure, most times you shouldn't associate a poet with the narrative of a poem, but in this case the narrative is transparently his.

Also, the machismo reaches a point where it sounds like parody but reads like earnest, mean-spirited truth.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I think 7 Y.O. had it right when he said something to effect of his poetry is really just prose with line breaks. Bukowski's a fun writer - Women stands out for me - but his poetry is rather hit and miss. I know I certainly didn't like it as much as his novels - I read a collection of his a while back that had both and I was skipping over all the poems by the end.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Bukowski was the Tucker Max of his generation, only he didn't suck.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Can anyone recommend a website that I can plug in my favorite 10 books (or similar) and get recommendations based off user reviews or anything? Goodreads doesn't do this, which is totally baffling, as they have the community and the reviews and the lists. I looked around GR for an hour before I realized they literally don't have it. I want another really good historical fiction or weird fiction series to read like Termiere/ASOIAF/Perdido
:sweatdrop:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Umph posted:

Can anyone recommend a website that I can plug in my favorite 10 books (or similar) and get recommendations based off user reviews or anything? Goodreads doesn't do this, which is totally baffling, as they have the community and the reviews and the lists. I looked around GR for an hour before I realized they literally don't have it. I want another really good historical fiction or weird fiction series to read like Termiere/ASOIAF/Perdido
:sweatdrop:

I have no idea why Goodreads doesn't do this, there are so many user ratings at their disposal for them to include a recommendation system :\

Librarything.com can kinda do it, it has 2 cool features:
1) If you search a particular book, it will list the top 10 books similar, based on who owns it. Usually it's other books in the same series but there's a way to only see books by different authors in the top 10 I think. I have found some good books that way. Here's an example: http://www.librarything.com/work/129 - Perdido Street Station. Some of those top 10 books are pretty good and similar to Miéville in writing style, world building, etc.
2) Tag mashes. You can search a number of tags at once (eg: "sci-fi, first contact") to see the books most tagged as those things*

Hope those help.

If you want good historical fiction similar to ASOIAF, try The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It is similar (many character POVs, lots of rape and violence, family sagas, action from POV of both peasants and nobles) but just take out the dragons and fantasy aspects, and set it in 11th century England. It's loving awesome. There is a sequel too.

* edit: one cool thing it also does is combine all the different ways people might type the same tag, so for example you don't have to worry if "sci-fi" should have a hyphen or not when you search for it:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 7, 2010

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I've actually found Amazon is pretty good for that. I've plugged in a bunch of books I own and it uses them plus stuff I look at and it spits out some pretty interesting stuff from time to time.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

:words:

Thanks man, I ordered The Pillars of the Earth and City of Saints and Madmen using your suggestions.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Umph posted:

Thanks man, I ordered The Pillars of the Earth and City of Saints and Madmen using your suggestions.

No worries :3:

I presume you've read Miéville's other books too? Because if you liked Perdido Street Station you have to read The Scar and Iron Council. They're phenomenal.

Drizzle 34
Jul 16, 2007

I bought a copy of this book today. It looks just like this, except it's brown, not green. It's also sort of falling apart, but that's beside the point. I'm trying to figure out when the copy I own was printed, at least roughly.

The copyright date in the book is 1883. The book seems to have been printed with some sort of press, as indentations of the text from the reverse side of a page are pretty visible. Anyone here familiar with printing processes used for mass production of books in the late 1800's/ early 1900's?

[edit] For those interested, it's an account of the union's spy system in the civil war as recalled by the head of the system/secret service at the time.

Drizzle 34 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 9, 2010

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drizzle 34 posted:

I bought a copy of this book today. It looks just like this, except it's brown, not green. It's also sort of falling apart, but that's beside the point. I'm trying to figure out when the copy I own was printed, at least roughly.

The copyright date in the book is 1883. The book seems to have been printed with some sort of press, as indentations of the text from the reverse side of a page are pretty visible. Anyone here familiar with printing processes used for mass production of books in the late 1800's/ early 1900's?

[edit] For those interested, it's an account of the union's spy system in the civil war as recalled by the head of the system/secret service at the time.

I'm no expert, but google the publisher, there were a shitload of them back then that were disappearing all the time.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
So what sort of theme should we have for BotM nominations for January?

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
In honour of Hewhay, January should be an entire month of mentally unbalanced narrators.

edit: committed the heresy of overpunctuating His name.

inktvis fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 13, 2010

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD

LooseChanj posted:

So what sort of theme should we have for BotM nominations for January?

Either poetry or drama. Preferably poetry. I can make suggestions.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
How about mentally unbalanced poets? And yeah, I'd need suggestions because honestly poetry really isn't my thing.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Hmm, the crazy ones tend to be boring (imho), but I'll try. Lemme get back to you tonight, got my last paper to finish.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

LooseChanj posted:

How about mentally unbalanced poets?

So like, all of em? :viggo:

You'd have to include Plath, possibly just The Collected Poems or The Colossus and Other Poems... something by her.

A lot of Poe's stuff is easy to get for free, but I don't actually know if he was mentally unbalanced or just his work.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I figure Byron's a given, but what do I know?

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Byron was pretty high-functioning. Poe was fairly sane. He didn't buy into the "dark and stormy night" mindset; he wrote it because it sold

Amyway, there are a bunch institutionalized or suicidal poets. Ezra Pound is a given. And Christopher Smart. Thomas Lovell Beddoes was really crazy but not very fun. I'm going to suggest that if you want to honour forums poster hewaY it would probably be better to go for Christian-visionary poets/poems that are interesting and great than to read some stuff and say "Hey, whoa, this poet was so miserable he killed himself!"

Aside from anything else, I'd like to request that we please don't read Sylvia Plath.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD

LooseChanj posted:

I figure Byron's a given, but what do I know?

Byron was like the coolest, sanest poet of his time. This whole crazy-thing is throwing me. I had some great suggestions, then this poo poo. I just ... I .... i. ... don't know if I can take it anymore. The weight of the world is to great. My life, but a grain of sand ....

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Byron was very likely manic depressive, but was absolutely very unbalanced in some way or another.

But yeah he was cool as hell.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
John Keats' Endymion
Hart Crane's The Bridge
Anne Sexton, Selected Poems (Mariner)
William Blake, Selected Poems (Penguin)
Robert Lowell, Selected Poems (Farrar, Straus and Giroux; 2nd edition)

I can put some more on the list if you want some choices, but I think those are pretty good.

e: If you want to Byron, just do Don Juan. It owns bones, read it over the summer.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

I don't know about manic depression, but Byron supposedly had an eating disorder, I think? Possibly related to his messed up foot. He was really keen on vinegar and having an occasional puke.

I look forward to Hart Crane if The Bridge gets chosen. I've read about him, but nothing by him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He was mostly vegetarian but would occasionally binge on meat. And drink wine from a skull.

Seriously Byron was very crazy in some way. He was a total badass too, but crazy.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I just read 2666, and there were a lot of mentally unbalanced characters, including a mentally unbalanced poet and a follower of said poet who became unbalanced.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
It's a bit early but I'm just saying that February would be the perfect month to discuss the poems of Pablo Neruda.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is there a thread where goons can lend goons books with their Nooks? I am getting one for Christmas, and just doing some research to see if a community has been started on SA to share books with each other.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Has any one read Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian? Is the content suitable for young readers - specifically a sheltered 13 year old in a religious family? I was thinking of getting it for my nephew for Christmas but don't want to piss off my family by introducing inappropriate material into their conservative household. A little non-graphic violence may be O.K. but any sex whatsoever would be a deal breaker.

ch1mp fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

7 y.o. bitch posted:

John Keats' Endymion
Hart Crane's The Bridge
Anne Sexton, Selected Poems (Mariner)
William Blake, Selected Poems (Penguin)
Robert Lowell, Selected Poems (Farrar, Straus and Giroux; 2nd edition)

I can put some more on the list if you want some choices, but I think those are pretty good.

e: If you want to Byron, just do Don Juan. It owns bones, read it over the summer.

This is a pretty killer list. I can never seen Keats' and Byron's names together without thinking "He died of a bad review"....