Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

The Third Man posted:

Mechanical fuel injection? :v:

That's how you fill the tank at the gas station, right? The nozzle injects fuel? :confused:

It's got multi-point EFI. I keep an entire spare ignition system (distributor, EFI computer, alternator, etc) in the trunk :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Third Man posted:

Mechanical fuel injection? :v:

Okay refine that to 80s Japanese cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasn't mechanical injection mostly gone by the '80s? Our old '79 280ZX had electronic L-Jet (with the loving flapper valve), and my '88 Volvo had proper MAF-equipped LH-Jet injection. GM was well into it too with their TBI and TPI engines.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
My 82 e21 BMW has mechanical fuel injection...never caused me any problems, but it would be hellish if it did.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Welp

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
/\/\/\/\ Welp. /\/\/\/\

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wasn't mechanical injection mostly gone by the '80s? Our old '79 280ZX had electronic L-Jet (with the loving flapper valve), and my '88 Volvo had proper MAF-equipped LH-Jet injection. GM was well into it too with their TBI and TPI engines.

It varied really heavily by brand and individual car. I want to say Ford still had it on some trucks until like 2003.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
Our 1992 3VZ-FE Camry has had a dead cylinder (#3) for a while so on Saturday we replaced the spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor rotor, and distributor cap. It wasn't too bad except one of the distributor cap bolts sheared off and we had to pull the distributor so we could heat it with a torch. After all that it feels like a new car. Still handles like garbage though.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Old distributor rotor (probably the one that came on the car actually)

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Two of the old plugs

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MATLAB 1988 posted:

My 1986 Subaru XT has a torn CV boot, the CV isn't making noise yet. I hope not to do any wrenching until spring, I'll replace the CV axle then (maybe install some Poly bushings while I'm at it!)

My Subaru is an 8-bit Miata, Yaaay :allears:
Is the boot really torn? It might have just popped the circlip off and is slightly leaking a little bit. Sometimes you can get lucky if you catch it soon enough and just pop the circlip back on before it gets dirt in it or leaks out all the axle goop.

Also: that thing is awesome.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

zamin posted:

Flip up headlights, slanted noses and giant greenhouses. What's not to love?

Cross fire fuel injection? TBI? Lucas electrics? Barely-better-than-1970s emissions equipment?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
^^^ Don't forget OptiSpark and laughable safety design!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is the boot really torn? It might have just popped the circlip off and is slightly leaking a little bit. Sometimes you can get lucky if you catch it soon enough and just pop the circlip back on before it gets dirt in it or leaks out all the axle goop.

Also: that thing is awesome.

The boot was torn in the middle and all the axle goop spewed out, unfortunately. Some guys will disassemble the CV axle, clean & reboot if they catch it early; since I didn't I'll likely order a rebuilt one from cvaxles.com. Old Subarus seem to outright reject McParts axle rebuilds, supposedly they are garbage because the hardened steel layer on the bearing races is ground down during the rebuild process.

Anybody else noticing that motorists are driving worse the closer it is to xmas? :supaburn:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

MATLAB 1988 posted:

My 1986 Subaru XT has a torn CV boot, the CV isn't making noise yet. I hope not to do any wrenching until spring, I'll replace the CV axle then (maybe install some Poly bushings while I'm at it!)
If the joint is quiet put one of those EZ split boots on it. It might extend the life of the joint through to spring time.

I have put cheapy axles on a bunch of different cars and never had a problem. Usually I ended up selling whatever car it was pretty quickly after the axle swap though.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 13, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MATLAB 1988 posted:

^^^ Don't forget OptiSpark and laughable safety design!

Don't blame the '80s for OptiShit, that belongs squarely with the '90s.

PBCrunch: I think it was for their Corsica, but my dad tried to find those split boots for ages to just half-rear end it back on the road instead of replacing the whole axle. Couldn't find them. Who carries them these days?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

awesome-express posted:

Welp

I guess you don't have to worry about the engine overheating now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

awesome-express posted:

Welp

So just how did you manage that?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Covered my car for it to sit in my driveway this winter. I learned a long hard lesson in buying cheap rear end cars this year. Bought a $1,000 DSM with "only a few things wrong with it." Those few things turned out to be about $1,000 in parts I put in myself

Let me tell you about a cheap Subaru... ($5000 later...)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sockington posted:

Let me tell you about a cheap Subaru... ($5000 later...)

The worst part is I'm laid off right now and probably won't be working for another month or two. I think my plan of action once I start working is to get the Eclipse towed to my friend's garage where I can work on it all winter and save up for a beater pickup truck for work.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Went to get my car inspected because it's due at the end of the month and me thinking that I'm going to be smart because of the fact that I going during the middle of the month, there will be no crowds.

Roughly an hour later and standing in the worlds tiniest waiting booth, I find out that I failed because of a crack in my gas cap seal. Really? Your going to fail me all because of crack that isn't noticeable unless you point it out? What's wrong with people today.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

screenwritersblues posted:

Roughly an hour later and standing in the worlds tiniest waiting booth, I find out that I failed because of a crack in my gas cap seal. Really? Your going to fail me all because of crack that isn't noticeable unless you point it out? What's wrong with people today.

If there's a crack then it isn't sealing you idiot. Perfectly reasonably to fail you for it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I HATE CARS posted:

If there's a crack then it isn't sealing you idiot. Perfectly reasonably to fail you for it.

Although the fact that they check gas caps at all beyond "is it there" is absolutely ridiculous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

thelightguy posted:

Although the fact that they check gas caps at all beyond "is it there" is absolutely ridiculous.

Not really. One of the biggest polluting items out there are improperly sealed containers of gas. It's really bad to just let gas evaporate into the air.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Cross fire fuel injection?

You'll get caught up in the!

Please tell me this was how this worked, shooting ball bearings and everything. Lie if you have to, I can take it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

You'll get caught up in the!

Please tell me this was how this worked, shooting ball bearings and everything. Lie if you have to, I can take it.

Basically a dual-TBI setup with a ridiculously poorly designed intake manifold - huge plenum with mile-long runners and teeny rear end ports. Look at this site for the before photos.

Of particular interest is one of the direct shots of the intake ports before they matched them to the gasket. The large outline there is the size of a typical SBC intake port on a cylinder head, and indeed the size of a typical SBC intake manifold port. For some reason (I think they wanted retarded-high velocities) they made the ports half as big as they used to be.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Taught myself how to solder and use heatshrink tubing on the wiring harness adapter and the wiring harness on my headunit. Wasn't anywhere near as difficult or time consuming as I thought it would be, and it looks about a billion times nicer than the rush job I did when I first put it in (and probably about a million times safer and reliable). Twisted it up a few times and threw on some zip-ties and it looks great.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Podothehobbit posted:

Auto-x'ed the Yaris today after the suspension upgrades. Feels planted but I think i'm hitting the limits of my tire's traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIYWx1KsRA

Is that a row of Beechcraft Starships in the background? :monocle:
(Sorry plane nerd and by some coincidence people were just discussing those in the aircraft thread)

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Manny posted:

Is that a row of Beechcraft Starships in the background? :monocle:
(Sorry plane nerd and by some coincidence people were just discussing those in the aircraft thread)

Haha you have a good eye! There are 6 of them lining the north end of our auto-x area. Pretty awesome looking little plane. Always terrified of spinning out and hitting one though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I changed my brother's spark plugs the other day when he came to me complaining about a misfire.

WHAT THE gently caress

Those are the original MotorCraft Ford Factory OEM plugs. Did I mention the car has 83k on it?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

thelightguy posted:

His profile leads me to believe he's in NJ. NJ's inspection pressure tests the gas cap or at least they did when I lived there. I've heard that they are slimming down their inspection process.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Any recent OBDII car throws a evap failure code with a leaking/loose/broken cap.

I read a paper where 20% of car emissions come from crankcase and another %10 from fuel vapor emissions. Big chunks and easily mitigated.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Beach Bum posted:

So just how did you manage that?

He parked on the street, plow plowed him in. Been there done that. :(

thelightguy posted:

Unburnt hydrocarbons are regulated coming out the tailpipe, so its only fair to regulate them coming out anywhere else I guess...

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Beach Bum posted:

I changed my brother's spark plugs the other day when he came to me complaining about a misfire.

WHAT THE gently caress

Those are the original MotorCraft Ford Factory OEM plugs. Did I mention the car has 83k on it?

Most cars from the last 10-15 years come factory equipped with platinum spark plugs that are supposed to last 100k miles.

They generally don't offer peak performance for that long, but they mostly work for 100k miles.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Drilled and tapped my exhaust manifold bolts back to 5/16UNF. I've got this cone shaped drill attachment that lets you get your holes perfect. Just pilot through as close as you can to the center, then use the cone to make a further pilot. It works because the cone thingy cuts sideways, so you can guide it bang into position. Drilled it with an appropriate bit and chased the threads. I'm well chuffed. I was getting worried for a bit.

Hopefully the studs will come tomorrow and I'll have my car back.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Installed a Sylfex Auxmod in my wife's '03 Mazda 6 as an early christmas present.

Mazda stereos in most of their lineup since 2003 have had an auxiliary bay that can accommodate a tape deck or minidisc player. The auxmod is basically a circuit board that hijacks the tape/MD interface and allows a 3.5mm stereo input to be used. I'm very satisfied, audio quality from her MP3 player is easily on-par with CDs and it was $90 cheaper than the POS single-DIN adapter that crutchfield sells that would have allowed me to install an aftermarket head unit.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 18, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I went and shoveled the pinestraw out of my 1980 Ford F250.

I really, really need to get this thing moving again. It has a starter issue, some problem with pinion-flywheel engagement. The original starter lasted 90k, but it's been through four new ones of assorted pedigree since, from Autozone to Carquest to a genuine Ford starter that lasted about a week. They all seem to work fine for a few days and then refuse to engage the flywheel. Flywheel looks fine, no missing teeth, and is within spec.

What the gently caress is going on here? Do I just need to wallow out the holes and move it closer? Maybe swap a larger pinion gear on? Do they even HAVE oversize pinions?

niec
Mar 23, 2004
STUPID
DICK
This was the other day but after owning my Evo IX for 4 years I decided to finally add some real power mods to it. Previously I just had a custom road tune and a cone filter on it but on Wednesday I added a walbro fuel pump, lower intercooler piping, full 3" turbo back exhaust, manual boost controller and a dyno tune.

It went from being fairly quick to holy poo poo quick. I'm sure my neighbors are absolutely thrilled about the exhaust right now (as is my OEM clutch) but drat this thing really woke up. I almost felt bad doing it because you probably have a better chance finding a unicorn than a stock Evo but now that it's done I feel like an idiot for not doing it a lot sooner.

Now it's time to start saving up for a clutch (hoping the OEM still has a decent amount left since I never launch it), intercooler, injectors and cams. :D

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

I went and shoveled the pinestraw out of my 1980 Ford F250.

I really, really need to get this thing moving again. It has a starter issue, some problem with pinion-flywheel engagement. The original starter lasted 90k, but it's been through four new ones of assorted pedigree since, from Autozone to Carquest to a genuine Ford starter that lasted about a week. They all seem to work fine for a few days and then refuse to engage the flywheel. Flywheel looks fine, no missing teeth, and is within spec.

What the gently caress is going on here? Do I just need to wallow out the holes and move it closer? Maybe swap a larger pinion gear on? Do they even HAVE oversize pinions?

Maybe you need a different size shim on the bolts. Too far in and too far away are both bad.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Added mudflaps.

In the summer I'm going to put Bilstein HDs and some big sway bars on it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Today, I looked out over the wet yard and contemplated. While staring at the VW on ramps with no radiator in it, thinking about how I can remedy a ridiculous interference issue.

Yesterday I pulled said radiator off and dumped the water all over the ground. It just had water because pulling the radiator was my plan anyway. I also removed my recent-ish-ly installed heater duct with a big screwdriver and a hacksaw.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Tried to get the Mini going after a couple of months.

Battery dead.... jump started. Nothing, would hardly turn over.

Checked coolant hoses... frozen solid... whoops. Housemate says "Maybe I should have put that antifreeze in, I thought I couldn't remember using any last time"

Disconnected the bottom hose to let it all drain as it thaws... gonna have to wait and see what the damage is. Hopefully at worst a waterpump :(

blambert fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2010

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

Geoj posted:

Installed a Sylfex Auxmod in my wife's '03 Mazda 6 as an early christmas present.

Mazda stereos in most of their lineup since 2003 have had an auxiliary bay that can accommodate a tape deck or minidisc player. The auxmod is basically a circuit board that hijacks the tape/MD interface and allows a 3.5mm stereo input to be used. I'm very satisfied, audio quality from her MP3 player is easily on-par with CDs and it was $90 cheaper than the POS single-DIN adapter that crutchfield sells that would have allowed me to install an aftermarket head unit.

How hard was the install? I've been mulling over possibly getting an AuxMod for my '07 Mazda6 as well, but was kind of off-put by the possibility of breaking something while pulling the stereo out. How long did it take?

On-topic: I took my Mazda out to an empty parking lot and retrained (read: and then proceeded to slide around for shits and giggles) myself for winter driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My baby got T-boned today. Total loss. Pictures to come later. Just got back from the doctor. I walked away.

BMW engineering: Saving lives and limbs. If you ever had doubts about the punishment an E30 can take, take it from someone who's been there, it'll save your life.