Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Heard back from that recruiter I posted about 40 or so pages ago, and it looks like I'm finally getting an interview for that lateral position at a mid sized IP boutique. Anyone have any insights on what differences I should expect for a lateral interview (the position only requires a couple years of experience, so we're not talking partner/of counsel level stuff) as opposed to an entry level position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I just had more general "the business" of a bankruptcy practice questions.
I'm assuming this is related to your "going into solo practice" questions.

Bankruptcy is hot right now because there is a lot of work in it, and it's not terribly hard to do, if all you are doing is filling out petitions (as opposed to bankruptcy litigation). That's probably what you're asking about, as banko litigation is fairly specialized and the guys that do it need to be well versed in other areas of law like tax in addition to knowing the bankruptcy code.

The basics of filing Chapter 7s and 13s are pretty easy, mostly because there is turbo-tax like software (BestCase) that does a LOT for you. Once you know how to classify different information and property based on the applicable exemptions, the software basically does everything. As a consequence, the time allotted to each client is fairly uniform, and most bankruptcy attorneys work on a flat fee arrangement. Typically $1000-1200 for a Chapter 7 and $3500+ for a Chapter 13, at least in my area. You can download other attorney's petitions on PACER and see how much other attorneys are charging, as they are required to disclose compensation on the petition.

Getting clients is a bit different in bankruptcy. Word of mouth goes a long way no matter what you're doing, but bankruptcy typically relies on a lot of direct marketing - newspaper and pay-per-click advertising because it's very much a one-time service you're selling. So be prepared to spend some money on a website and advertising.

I had coffee with an attorney who has built a very successful bankruptcy firm over the last 30 years or so and he suggested that if a new attorney were to go into bankruptcy, they should probably have at least one other discipline that they could take clients in, because while there is a lot of bankruptcy work right now, it will likely dry up when the economy turns around again. He could have just been trying to dissuade competition, but I really doubt it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mushi posted:

I had coffee with an attorney who has built a very successful bankruptcy firm over the last 30 years or so and he suggested that if a new attorney were to go into bankruptcy, they should probably have at least one other discipline that they could take clients in, because while there is a lot of bankruptcy work right now, it will likely dry up when the economy turns around again. He could have just been trying to dissuade competition, but I really doubt it.

Yeah I could see doing family law and cherry picking PI cases on the side. I'm at a "bootcamp" that says you can make significant legal fees by actually "working" each bankruptcy rather than just being a volume filer.

Re:advertising I have heard each client costs about $200-250 to obtain. Did he mention any figures?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Roger_Mudd posted:

Yeah I could see doing family law and cherry picking PI cases on the side. I'm at a "bootcamp" that says you can make significant legal fees by actually "working" each bankruptcy rather than just being a volume filer.

Re:advertising I have heard each client costs about $200-250 to obtain. Did he mention any figures?

I don't break down my advertising costs per client but I normally spend about $3000/month which is less than 10% of my gross.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Roger_Mudd posted:

He didn't mention specific figures about his advertising, though I'm sure he knows exactly how much he spends and the return he expects on it. One thing he suggested though is as a new guy, to pick media that you can cancel easily if it isn't working. So weekly newspapers or pay-per-click stuff like Google AdWords. I don't have a lot of experience with direct advertising - my marketing budget is basically nil right now, and I haven't had the balls to drop several hundred dollars a month of my ramen money on a newspaper ad.

I will say that I've heard extremely mixed reports on google adwords, particularly in regard to the expense, even when controlling your budget. If anyone has any good vendors in terms of pay-per-click for attorneys, I'm all ears.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

poofactory posted:

I don't break down my advertising costs per client but I normally spend about $3000/month which is less than 10% of my gross.

What area do you practice?

Re: budget/marketing, I'm hoping to find a referral company rather than doing my own.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
I work for my family firm, and last year my dad offered one of my law school friends a hand in finding a clerkship for his spring semester 3L year. Friend goes, yeah, that would be great! Friend then doesn't bother to follow up with my dad, and spends his time watching tv and drinking PBR.

Friend called me yesterday upset because he passed the bar and SHOCKER, there are no jobs. :iiam: He wants to come in and talk to my dad about finding him something, what's a good time?

I told him the truth - my dad can't do anything for him now. He didn't do anything in law school beyond go to class - no externships, no clerking, nothing. My dad can do a lot with someone who is willing to work with the system, but you can't just skip the boring clerking and shaking hands phase and expect the man to come up with a $100,000 associates gig at a downtown firm just because he offered, a year ago, to help Friend find an internship.

You will all be shocked to hear that Friend took this poorly, and it is now my fault that my dad can't wave his wand and find a job for my jerk Friend. He's sent me multiple pissy texts about it.

Nothing I can do.

TL;DR - my friend is a moron, there are no jobs, and he will die alone. Don't go to law school, kiddies.

Cortina fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 15, 2010

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Roger_Mudd posted:

What area do you practice?

Re: budget/marketing, I'm hoping to find a referral company rather than doing my own.

Immigration. Though most people here would classify it as shitlaw.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

poofactory posted:

You hiring summers :D :D :D

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Direwolf posted:

You hiring summers :D :D :D

I will work for Room/Board and plane tickets to wherever you are.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

poofactory posted:

Look at the income numbers you've posted about before, I don't think your practice is shitlaw at all. Honestly, I have a ton of respect for your business model. Small firm atmosphere, control over your work/life balance, good income... sounds good to me.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

poofactory posted:

Anyone who calls someone pulling in over 360k a year as practicing "shitlaw" has some serious hangups about prestige.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Anyone who calls someone pulling in over 360k a year as practicing "shitlaw" has some serious hangups about prestige.

How about my associate that I pay in toaster leavings and legal experience?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poofactory posted:

How about my associate that I pay in toaster leavings and legal experience?

Is he the darfur war orphan?

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001
THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!
So I've done the impossible and secured a really nice job at a non-profit as an environmental attorney when I graduate. I really love the place and the people and the work and it's just a match made in 3L heaven.

Beyond that, though, if I wanted to change tracks at any point, how does regulatory oversight look on a lateral transfer? That, pollution permitting, interventions in energy company mergers, and various public utility cases and probably Clean Air Act litigation would be my M.O. What kind of places that, uh, lined up with the mission of an environmental non-profit would look for an attorney like that? Also, at what point after working will my grades and things like that mean nothing to other employers?

I don't know that I'd ever want to leave the place or anything, and my grades are decent, I'm just curious as to how that stuff works.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is he the darfur war orphan?

same quality of life

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 17, 2011

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

reposting this

You probably need to go through the headhunter. If you do an end-run around them through your buddy, odds are that if you take the job the headhunter will call up the firm and be like "give me my 20% placement fee."

Hilarity will not ensue.

NJ Deac posted:

Heard back from that recruiter I posted about 40 or so pages ago, and it looks like I'm finally getting an interview for that lateral position at a mid sized IP boutique. Anyone have any insights on what differences I should expect for a lateral interview (the position only requires a couple years of experience, so we're not talking partner/of counsel level stuff) as opposed to an entry level position?

First off, you'll probably meet almost entirely with partners; the one or two associates that they throw in will be more carefully selected. A lot of firms have 1-2 partners do a screen and then will call people back for a full round, but since it is a smaller shop they might not want to dick around with that too much.

They will care a lot more about the following, and you will need good answers:

(1) your experience so far
(2) why you are leaving
(3) why are you looking to join them
(4) where you see yourself in five years
(5) where you are in your search - i.e., will you need to shop around more, or do they have to haul rear end because you have an offer somewhere else

Beyond that it will be mostly the same as OCI stuff.

Mookie fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 14, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finished my second out of three exams.

On the one hand, I like it when exam questions have easy-to-google answers, but on the other hand, I assume that everyone is smart enough to google so the question doesn't really differentiate the curve at all.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
A fire at my school's undergrad parent knocked out the boilers and generators, so there's no hot water or heat. They moved all exams starting tonight to next week, and are accommodating everyone with hotel rooms.

My last exam was this morning :suicide:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

NJ Deac posted:

I found that associates are a lot, lot more honest with you. They will, if not volunteer, be happy to talk about hours, what partners suck, etc. You will also need a good answer for why you want to leave your current firm. Hopefully this answer doesn't involve 1) vague answers like I hate it there, 2) complaints about the hours (unless you are at like 2600 or+) or 3) something implying ruined personal relationships, like "I don't get along with only partner in my tech area."

Mookie posted:

First off, you'll probably meet almost entirely with partners; the one or two associates that they throw in will be more carefully selected. A lot of firms have 1-2 partners do a screen and then will call people back for a full round, but since it is a smaller shop they might not want to dick around with that too much.

(2) why you are leaving
(5) where you are in your search - i.e., will you need to shop around more, or do they have to haul rear end because you have an offer somewhere else

I did notice that I interviewed with more partners, but really, for me, it was basically one partner that mattered and others just filling time. And the associates I spoke to weren't "carefully selected" or anything to present a good face - they were all totally honest with me ("I lateraled in, and I probably wouldn't do it again," "the partner you would work for is a dick," "expect to bill over 2400 hours" etc). These are all things I actually heard, FYI.

e: Also, if they're "trying to build capability in that area" or "trying to grow our practice in that are," that's code for "we have no work for you and you will be the first person laid off when things get tight." Any reason for hiring other than "we have more work than we know what to do with" is probably a recipe for disaster.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 14, 2010

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

entris posted:

Finished my second out of three exams.

On the one hand, I like it when exam questions have easy-to-google answers, but on the other hand, I assume that everyone is smart enough to google so the question doesn't really differentiate the curve at all.

Something similar on the exam I took today. I'm hoping that the fact that I took almost verbatim notes during class + the majority of the questions were based on what he said during class + Ctrl F=good grade.

Anybody know how to crush a Crim Pro II, closed book, MC and Issue spotter exam? Past exams posted on the schools website don't have sample answers and don't have any of the MC questions (I'm assuming he reuses them year-to-year unless the law changes on something). I've already gone through the E&E for it for some practice questions and written out answers for 2/4 practice exams listed. Any other ideas?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

A fire at my school's undergrad parent knocked out the boilers and generators, so there's no hot water or heat. They moved all exams starting tonight to next week, and are accommodating everyone with hotel rooms.

You'd prefer to not be finished with exams?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

You'd prefer to not be finished with exams?

It's nice, but as soon as I finished I instantly got slammed with RA work; an exam in a week's time would've been a good excuse to not work just yet. Also I'm still recovering from my 4 paper grind and could have used another week to study.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Are you at Osgoode? If not there were eerily similar circumstances to your own here in Toronto tonight.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Gleri posted:

Are you at Osgoode? If not there were eerily similar circumstances to your own here in Toronto tonight.

Indeed I am. I had no idea there was another Ozzy here.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Indeed I am. I had no idea there was another Ozzy here.

I'm actually at UofT, but I have friends at Osgoode who told me about the fire. Two Torontonians is for some reason more than I expected, though.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Mookie posted:

(2) why you are leaving

gvibes posted:

I found that associates are a lot, lot more honest with you. They will, if not volunteer, be happy to talk about hours, what partners suck, etc. You will also need a good answer for why you want to leave your current firm. Hopefully this answer doesn't involve 1) vague answers like I hate it there, 2) complaints about the hours (unless you are at like 2600 or+) or 3) something implying ruined personal relationships, like "I don't get along with only partner in my tech area."

I did notice that I interviewed with more partners, but really, for me, it was basically one partner that mattered and others just filling time. And the associates I spoke to weren't "carefully selected" or anything to present a good face - they were all totally honest with me ("I lateraled in, and I probably wouldn't do it again," "the partner you would work for is a dick," "expect to bill over 2400 hours" etc). These are all things I actually heard, FYI.

e: Also, if they're "trying to build capability in that area" or "trying to grow our practice in that are," that's code for "we have no work for you and you will be the first person laid off when things get tight." Any reason for hiring other than "we have more work than we know what to do with" is probably a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the insight, guys. The interview is a full 6 partner/2 associate/lunch deal, so I'm assuming it's the real thing and not just some screening bullshit. I think I have pretty solid answers for each of those questions - I like the firm I'm at now, but there is no opportunity for growth, and we just lost a big client in my practice area (plus this other firm will enable me to pay off my student loans before my unborn children are in college), etc.. My experience is pretty on point, and I've already done quite a bit of prosecution work for one of their biggest clients.

Still, it's nice to know that even if I gently caress things up I still have my current job, and keeping that is priority number one. Now I just need to decide on a proper excuse to skip out for the better part of a work day for the interview.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mookie posted:

You probably need to go through the headhunter. If you do an end-run around them through your buddy, odds are that if you take the job the headhunter will call up the firm and be like "give me my 20% placement fee."

Hilarity will not ensue.

Already emailed my friend. If I get called in for an interview, just mention the headhunter then, I guess?

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Already emailed my friend. If I get called in for an interview, just mention the headhunter then, I guess?

Did the headhunter actually send in your resume previously?

If so, yeah, you should make sure to tell them. Also, if your friend is hoping for a finder's fee, you should tell him to get ready to be disappointed - firms pay those finders' fees in order to avoid paying the much higher headhunter fees.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
First MSJ and Daubert Motions filed. :ohdear:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mookie posted:

Did the headhunter actually send in your resume previously?

If so, yeah, you should make sure to tell them. Also, if your friend is hoping for a finder's fee, you should tell him to get ready to be disappointed - firms pay those finders' fees in order to avoid paying the much higher headhunter fees.

Yeah, the headhunter sent it in previously. I'll be sure to mention it if/when I go in.

I'm just curious about the whole process; I don't mind if I don't get the job for breach of etiquette, because I actually like my job.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

First MSJ and Daubert Motions filed. :ohdear:

Go get 'em kid.

I had a judge gently caress me by refusing to strike an ipse dixit affidavit so she could wrongfully apply the attorney judgment rule in malpractice cases to toss our case.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

CaptainScraps posted:

Go get 'em kid.

I had a judge gently caress me by refusing to strike an ipse dixit affidavit so she could wrongfully apply the attorney judgment rule in malpractice cases to toss our case.

Attorney judgment rule is the worst rule

until you gently caress up and get the protection of it, I suppose

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

J Miracle posted:

Attorney judgment rule is the worst rule

until you gently caress up and get the protection of it, I suppose

Judge did not understand the attorney judgment rule.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Environmental law final in an hour and fourteen minutes.

freakin' out, maaaaaaaaaaan.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

billion dollar bitch posted:

Environmental law final in an hour and fourteen minutes.

freakin' out, maaaaaaaaaaan.

God who gives a poo poo about the environment honestly

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Anyone have any classmates become landmen (landwomen)? (This might be a Texas-specific question.)

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001
THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!

Elotana posted:

Anyone have any classmates become landmen (landwomen)? (This might be a Texas-specific question.)

I can't think of a more sinister job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

hypocrite lecteur posted:

God who gives a poo poo about the environment honestly

my professor, apparently...