Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
It could related to the physical size of the bulb maybe? Some older CFLs took up WAY more space than their incandescent equivalents. Some fixtures made before CFLs were commonplace just didn't have enough space around the socket to fit a CFL. Hell, I bought a fancypants $250 ceiling fan only 7 months ago and it didn't have enough room under the glass to fit most CFLs I found. I finally found some Sylvania "ultra-compact" ones that fit under the glass... after I bent around on the socket mounting brackets.

Why the hell are more and more ceiling fans going towards candelabra sockets anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

It could related to the physical size of the bulb maybe? Some older CFLs took up WAY more space than their incandescent equivalents. Some fixtures made before CFLs were commonplace just didn't have enough space around the socket to fit a CFL. Hell, I bought a fancypants $250 ceiling fan only 7 months ago and it didn't have enough room under the glass to fit most CFLs I found. I finally found some Sylvania "ultra-compact" ones that fit under the glass... after I bent around on the socket mounting brackets.

Why the hell are more and more ceiling fans going towards candelabra sockets anyway?

The switch to candelabra bases is due to the Energy Policy Act (EPACT), passed in 2005, mandating that all ceiling fans be reversible, have separate fan and light controls, and move away from medium base to candelabra or intermediate base bulbs. The act also limits fans made after January 1st, 2009 to no more than 190 watts of light total.

<edit>Correction, actually the EPACT doesn't prohibit fans from using medium bases, it just mandated that all fans using medium bases must ship them with CFLs. The alternative was to switch to candelabra bases, due to a provision which allowed them to ship candelabra base incandescent bulbs (since candelabra CFLs weren't available yet when the act was passed). Most manufacturers chose to go the cheaper route, switching bases and including cheap incandescents.

Mthrboard fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 11, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kid sinister posted:

A lot of people retrofitting ceiling fans where there was only a light fixture only have one switched run up to the ceiling, so they use one of those $40 remotes that mount above the fan as a solution. Dimmer or not, those things can't fire a normal CFL, so it's not a big priority?

That was my recent situation, at least.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

eddiewalker posted:

A lot of people retrofitting ceiling fans where there was only a light fixture only have one switched run up to the ceiling, so they use one of those $40 remotes that mount above the fan as a solution. Dimmer or not, those things can't fire a normal CFL, so it's not a big priority?

Depends how they do the dimmer; if energy efficiency is the goal, these companies should be mandated to put in dimmers that work with CFLs.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

grover posted:

Depends how they do the dimmer; if energy efficiency is the goal, these companies should be mandated to put in dimmers that work with CFLs.

I tried to find one that would work, but couldn't. I pulled out the manuals for all 5 or so models HD/Lowes sell, and there was always a big warning against CFLs.

I took home the fanciest one and tried a pair of CFLs anyway, but the bulbs wouldn't turn completely off. They just buzzed and flicked, looking like they had a pilot light inside.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

eddiewalker posted:

I put a fan in where there was only a light prior, and only one switched circuit. I just tied the fan and light hots to the hot on the circuit and use the pull-chains to select between, the switch on the wall to turn it all on or off. What is wrong with this that people are going out and buying remotes for the light circuit? Why not just buy a fan that comes with a remote or get up and pull a chain?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Wandering Idiot posted:

I put a fan in where there was only a light prior, and only one switched circuit. I just tied the fan and light hots to the hot on the circuit and use the pull-chains to select between, the switch on the wall to turn it all on or off. What is wrong with this that people are going out and buying remotes for the light circuit? Why not just buy a fan that comes with a remote or get up and pull a chain?

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Well yeah, figured that would be the case. But in that situation, why not get a fan with a remote included?

E: Maybe I read the post wrong. It came across to me as, buy a fan with light without a remote included, only to buy the components to make it remote controlled after the fact so you have to go loving with the fan and light circuitry internally.

Ah, gotcha.

Wandering Idiot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 12, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Wandering Idiot posted:

Well yeah, figured that would be the case. But in that situation, why not get a fan with a remote included?

E: Maybe I read the post wrong. It came across to me as, buy a fan with light without a remote included, only to buy the components to make it remote controlled after the fact so you have to go loving with the fan and light circuitry internally.

Very few fans come with a remote, and it's cheaper to just use a kit. The remote receivers are shaped to fit inside the fan's mounting bracket. Two wires in, three wires out.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

For those of you trying to use CFLs where CFLs are "allowed", try using one incandescent with the other bulbs CFLs and see if that works.

I have a bunch of ZWave switches in my house that require something like 40W of load (I don't know that I'm using that term correctly) to work correctly and they don't mention it anywhere in the literature. 3 CFLS aren't enough of a load for the switch to work correctly so I'd get that faint flickering described earlier. Popped a 60W incandescent in there and everything works great.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Here's a question I wondered: how well do the CFL-approved dimmers work with incandescents?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

grover posted:

By the letter of the law, you can only do this if no one piece of equipment exceeds 50% of the circuit rating. This is to prevent damage to the cable if you use two pieces simultaneously. I venture to guess your dryer already exceeds 50% of 30A; otherwise, they would have used a 20A breaker.

That seems really strange, since how would you damage a line that was protected by a circuit breaker/fuse?

The entire reason for asking is my breaker panel was in an awesome place to route wires to in my basement up until I drywalled everything up. Now to install a new branch would require cutting into the wall.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dietcokefiend posted:

That seems really strange, since how would you damage a line that was protected by a circuit breaker/fuse?
Breakers can fail. Breakers and fuses are designed to pop just before wires they protect burst into flames. Any time there's a condition that causes a breaker to trip, there's a chance of fire. 99% of the time, the breaker works properly and protects the circuit, but codes like this one exist to limit the risk of a condition that will cause dangerous overloads.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

grover posted:

Breakers can fail. Breakers and fuses are designed to pop just before wires they protect burst into flames. Any time there's a condition that causes a breaker to trip, there's a chance of fire. 99% of the time, the breaker works properly and protects the circuit, but codes like this one exist to limit the risk of a condition that will cause dangerous overloads.

Is there any electrical device that would allow this sort of setup? Something like a 30A version of a big A/B switch where only one path can be selected at a time?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dietcokefiend posted:

Is there any electrical device that would allow this sort of setup? Something like a 30A version of a big A/B switch where only one path can be selected at a time?
Actually, yeah, I think that would be fine.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

grover posted:

Actually, yeah, I think that would be fine.

Well do they exist? :lol:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dietcokefiend posted:

Well do they exist? :lol:
30A DPDT switch? Yeah, they exist. You'd probably have to special order one from the internet, though; I doubt they carry them at Home Depot.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

grover posted:

30A DPDT switch? Yeah, they exist. You'd probably have to special order one from the internet, though; I doubt they carry them at Home Depot.

Interesting, so basically a beefed up light switch? Would I need two of those (one for each 120v line?)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dietcokefiend posted:

Interesting, so basically a beefed up light switch? Would I need two of those (one for each 120v line?)
You'd get one that would switch A/B. SPDT are commonly available as "3-way" 20A light switches for about $1; for two hots, you'd need a DPDT version that a quick google search shows exists, but I've not seen any in supply houses.

The "right" way to do it would be to pull a new circuit to your panel, though.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SWS-13/1.html :colbert:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Rated 0.5A / 200VDC

So perhaps get like 60 of these things lined up along the wall all connected by a master bar and flip em like I am bringing Frankenstein back to life?

Evil laugh included :v:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm planning on putting some drywall in my garage and have run into a few possible electrical issues:

1) Here is my breaker panel:

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

It looks like the main service line comes down, goes through a stud to the meter outside the house, back through the same stud, and then up into the panel. I wasn't planning on putting drywall above or below the panel to keep things accessible so should I keep the meter section open as well so I don't have to worry about somehow armoring that area to keep nails away from the extra-bigass power cable?

2) The bright white cable coming out of the top is a new circuit I just put in for my garage door opener so I don't have to plug it in with an extension cord like a hillbilly anymore (ever had a cord wrap itself around your axle while running late for work?). If the outlet is just shy of 8 feet off the ground, do I have to put in a GFCI and/or make it a single outlet as opposed to the usual duplex?

3) Am I going to have to put in more outlets to make sure I have one every 12 feet or is it somehow grandfathered in? I'm never going to do the ceiling due to HVAC ducts if that keeps it from being "finished". Does it even matter if it is/isn't finished? Even I can tell that at least some work was done by an unlicensed rear end in a top hat, which brings me to:

4) There is a line coming out of the bottom of the circuit panel that just sort of dangles its way into the next room (its also one of a few lines run into the panel without a clamp or grommet and with a knot tied in it to keep from pulling back out. I put some clamps on those while I was in there). Is there anything I should keep in mind while re-running it through studs or is it pretty much drilling holes and hammering some metal plates on to keep nails out?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm planning on putting some drywall in my garage and have run into a few possible electrical issues:

1) Here is my breaker panel:

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

It looks like the main service line comes down, goes through a stud to the meter outside the house, back through the same stud, and then up into the panel. I wasn't planning on putting drywall above or below the panel to keep things accessible so should I keep the meter section open as well so I don't have to worry about somehow armoring that area to keep nails away from the extra-bigass power cable?

2) The bright white cable coming out of the top is a new circuit I just put in for my garage door opener so I don't have to plug it in with an extension cord like a hillbilly anymore (ever had a cord wrap itself around your axle while running late for work?). If the outlet is just shy of 8 feet off the ground, do I have to put in a GFCI and/or make it a single outlet as opposed to the usual duplex?

3) Am I going to have to put in more outlets to make sure I have one every 12 feet or is it somehow grandfathered in? I'm never going to do the ceiling due to HVAC ducts if that keeps it from being "finished". Does it even matter if it is/isn't finished? Even I can tell that at least some work was done by an unlicensed rear end in a top hat, which brings me to:

4) There is a line coming out of the bottom of the circuit panel that just sort of dangles its way into the next room (its also one of a few lines run into the panel without a clamp or grommet and with a knot tied in it to keep from pulling back out. I put some clamps on those while I was in there). Is there anything I should keep in mind while re-running it through studs or is it pretty much drilling holes and hammering some metal plates on to keep nails out?
Is that the back of the meter base to the right of your panel? If so, I don't think the cable going into the top of it is allowed to be inside the house...

Dedicated garage door openers do not have to be GFCI.

Putting up drywall doesn't change anything in your garage with respect to outlets, but I would install them anyhow while the walls are open. They must be GFCI, btw, and it's OK to put them MUCH closer than 12' because they're like 40 cents apiece and there's never a handy outlet when you need it.

Those metal plates are only required if the cable is within 1.5" of the face of the stud. Rationale is that drywall screws/nails won't penetrate the cable if the cable is deep enough, otherwise, you need to protect it.

grover fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 13, 2010

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I like the metal plates because they're cheap and electricity scares me. If I'd seen that arc fault video I probably wouldn't have opened the panel to put the new breaker in there. Its different to actually see it happen.

On the subject of GFCIs, the one in my house is on the breaker itself. I've never seen them not on the outlet. Are there any advantages/disadvantages other than having to run to the panel if it trips?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cat Hatter posted:

On the subject of GFCIs, the one in my house is on the breaker itself. I've never seen them not on the outlet. Are there any advantages/disadvantages other than having to run to the panel if it trips?
The receptacle ones are considerably cheaper. They all do the same thing, though.

You *should* have two 20A GFCI on outlets in your kitchen, one feeding your bathrooms, and at least one feeding your garage, laundry room and any exterior outlets.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
^^^^^and unfinished basements

Cat Hatter posted:

The GFCI breakers are useful for retrofits for legally upgrading to 3 prong receptacles on circuits using 14 or 12/2 without ground. With the GFCI receptacles, you'll have to run around to every outlet on that circuit and test them one by one to find the first in the circuit, then daisy chain the rest from it. With the GFCI breakers, you know that the circuit begins at the box, so that's a quicker swap out. The breakers are also useful for retrofits where the boxes in the wall are too shallow to cram in a GFCI receptacle.

Hey grover, hypothetical situation: if you do perform a breaker swap out like to a GFCI breaker nowadays, wouldn't that conflict with the requirements for AFCI breakers in living spaces? Which would one use? Does either AFCI or GFCI offer the same protection as the other?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 13, 2010

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My one GFCI runs the outlets in both bathrooms, the exterior outlets, and the two outlets they bothered to put in the garage (and one was clearly an addition). You'd think a GFCI cost $100 in 1982 from the way they snaked that circuit everywhere. No extra protection to the kitchen outlets. I don't know if they needed them in '82 but I might add them once I finish fiddling with the garage.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

kid sinister posted:

Hey grover, hypothetical situation: if you do perform a breaker swap out like to a GFCI breaker nowadays, wouldn't that conflict with the requirements for AFCI breakers in living spaces? Which would one use? Does either AFCI or GFCI offer the same protection as the other?
Generally, yes, there is a conflict, as AFCI "combo" breakers typically offer 30ma of GFI (ground fault interruption) for equipment protection vice the 5ma required for GFCI (ground fault circuit interruption) which protects people from electric shock. Similar, but 5ma<30ma and is an important difference. There may be a combo AFCI/GFCI out there, but I'm not aware of any commercially available right now.

For the most part, the requirements are mutually exclusive; AFCI are only required in places GFCI aren't already required. You could run into issues if you serve, say, a bedroom and a garage from the same circuit and want to protect both at the breaker.

Most people will use an AFCI breaker with a GFCI outlet in this hypothetical situation.

Cat Hatter posted:

My one GFCI runs the outlets in both bathrooms, the exterior outlets, and the two outlets they bothered to put in the garage (and one was clearly an addition). You'd think a GFCI cost $100 in 1982 from the way they snaked that circuit everywhere. No extra protection to the kitchen outlets. I don't know if they needed them in '82 but I might add them once I finish fiddling with the garage.
The way these codes have crept up and up, this may have been legal in 1982. Hell, might have cost $100 in 1982, too! If it was new construction, this wouldn't fly; bathrooms may share a GFCI between them, but it can ONLY serve bathrooms. Kitchens must have two dedicated 20A GFCI circuits that can only be shared with a small # of exceptions for closely related rooms like a dining room or butler's pantry.

GFCI are cheap enough now, I put one on every string in my house, just to be safe. I'd recommend at least retrofitting GFCI in your kitchen.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 14, 2010

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
Easy-ish question. I have outlets A and B in this room and would like to add C. I can access the crawl space under the floor and have discovered that this is how they are cabled currently. Can I cut the line in the middle, pull a new run to B and a run to C and splice the whole mess in the middle or is there something else that would be better?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Daddyo posted:

Easy-ish question. I have outlets A and B in this room and would like to add C. I can access the crawl space under the floor and have discovered that this is how they are cabled currently. Can I cut the line in the middle, pull a new run to B and a run to C and splice the whole mess in the middle or is there something else that would be better?

Why not just run from B to C or A to C?

If you "splice the whole mess in the middle" make sure you do it in a junction box with cable clamps.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Daddyo posted:

psycho is right, B to C or A to C would be the regular way to do it. Still, a junction in the middle of a cable run can be done. The only problem is that just cutting the cable in the middle of one box typically doesn't leave enough slack to twist the existing wires to each other again. Here, I've made this setup before for mid-cable run junctions before, out of a junction box, a handy box and a box coupling. It will give you more slack on the existing cable ends.

Click here for the full 1139x633 image.

You probably could pull that off inside one box if you're determined, but I personally like lots of slack to work with. Don't forget the clamps!

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 14, 2010

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I know this will work, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable about the NEC might be able to tell me if this is up to code or not though.

Our attic has the typical single bulb porcelain lampholder, controlled by a switch next to the attic entrance. Right now it has a largish CFL in it ("300 watt replacement"), but it's nowhere near enough light to work on the furnace (you can barely see enough to change the air filter since the furnace is a good 10+ feet away from the lamp).

I'd like to add a 2 tube T8 fixture. Would NEC allow me to branch off from the existing junction box, and would I have to upgrade anything else while I'm up there to remain code compliant? Existing wiring is 14/2 romex in a plastic box with a ground wire available, and an electrician left a bunch of 14/2 when we had lights added in the kitchen years ago.

Also looking to replace the single porcelain fixture in the garage with a 4 tube T8 fixture as well, but since that'd be a replacement instead of an addition I don't think I'd run into any code issues there.

What code issues will I run into, if any? And can T8 ballasts handle extreme heat? We break 110F in the summer from time to time, and the attic gets a bit hotter than that. The (attic) light wouldn't get much use though, probably once or twice a month for several minuets at a time.

Texas, homeowner, house built in 1994 if it matters.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 17, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

some texas redneck posted:

I know this will work, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable about the NEC might be able to tell me if this is up to code or not though.

Our attic has the typical single bulb porcelain lampholder, controlled by a switch next to the attic entrance. Right now it has a largish CFL in it ("300 watt replacement"), but it's nowhere near enough light to work on the furnace (you can barely see enough to change the air filter since the furnace is a good 10+ feet away from the lamp).

I'd like to add a 2 tube T8 fixture. Would NEC allow me to branch off from the existing junction box, and would I have to upgrade anything else while I'm up there to remain code compliant? Existing wiring is 14/2 romex in a plastic box with a ground wire available, and an electrician left a bunch of 14/2 when we had lights added in the kitchen years ago.

Also looking to replace the single porcelain fixture in the garage with a 4 tube T8 fixture as well, but since that'd be a replacement instead of an addition I don't think I'd run into any code issues there.

What code issues will I run into, if any? And can T8 ballasts handle extreme heat? We break 110F in the summer from time to time, and the attic gets a bit hotter than that. The (attic) light wouldn't get much use though, probably once or twice a month for several minuets at a time.

Texas, homeowner, house built in 1994 if it matters.
Your plan sounds code compliant. If you rarely go up in the attic, though, you're not going to see cost savings from a T8 and might have heat issues, too. Attics are a good place to throw in super-cheap 100W bulbs because if you're only using them a few minutes a year, you're using less energy to light them off than it took to manufacture the T8/CFL. They're also resilient to heat and cold. Instead of a 1:1 with a T80, why not splice in a 39-cent switch in a $1 box and run one or two additional edison socket lights and drop in 2-for-$1 100W incandescent? I did similar in my attic a few years ago.

I can't find a code to quote you, but I'm pretty sure open porcelain fixtures aren't supposed to be used in attics used for storage; you should be using fixtures with protective globes of some sort.

If you add anything, you probably need a permit for it, btw.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 17, 2010

Barnabas
Jun 24, 2006
Touch it. Go ahead. You know you want to.
So I've got a wiring problem that has me stumped.

House is about 50 years old, and we wanted to replace the kitchen and dining room light fixtures. No problem, I figured. I pulled out the kitchen fixture, and found... I don't know.

It seems to be a junction box with four NM cables coming in. Two are three wire 120v, and two are four wire 240v. That doesn't seem too crazy, but the way they were wired up did. Three of the four whites were wired together, along with the white on the fixture. Two of the blacks were wired to the black on the fixture. The free white was marked with black tape (I assume this was to mark it as hot), and wired in with the other two blacks and (I think) one of the reds. The other red was just sitting all by itself, connected to nothing.

And everything was connected with electrical tape.

I should've taken a picture before I took everything apart, but I thought I knew what I was doing. Famous last words, right?

Here's how I'm sitting now:

Click here for the full 478x640 image.

I wired together the blacks of the 240v, the reds of the 240v, and the whites of the 240v. I wired the black and white of the new fixture to the black and white of one of the NM cables. The other black and the white marked as hot are currently floating around doing nothing, because I'm not sure what to do. As it is, the fixture itself works just fine. The light in the dining room, however, does not.

No matter how I try and connect the black and the white marked as hot, it either results in the circuit blowing, the new kitchen fixture stuck on, or as is currently the case, the new kitchen fixture working fine, but the dining room light not working.

I know that the black and the white marked as hot are continuing the circuit from the kitchen to the dining room, but I don't know how to wire them in without blowing something. And the 240v cables are really screwing me up.

Does any of that even make sense? Help me, goons! I no longer feel safe.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Honestly I'd start mapping your wires. I've had to do this several times in my folks' house that was wired, rewired, and wired again at various levels of compliance and sanity.

Use extension cords, spare romex, or whatever you have lying around with a multimeter or continuity tester and label every one of those. It sucks, but it beats the hell out of trial and error.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
240 volts? Are you quite sure? This sounds a lot like a pretty typical three-way switch setup.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Also that, running 240 to a ceiling fixture seems incredibly odd. I would bet the red wires are the runners for three-ways.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
That's not 240V. Red and black are both 120v hots. Hard to say whether which (or both) are switched or if they're legs on a 3-way traveler circuit without more info.

The one with black and white marked black is possibly a switch loop.

Barnabas
Jun 24, 2006
Touch it. Go ahead. You know you want to.
Hooray! Turns out it was a switch loop, as grover suggested. I'd never heard of a switch loop, but after some research and a little bit of trial and error, everything is working again as it should be. Thanks, guys!

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

And I don't have that lone red wire hanging out by itself anymore. Should I have that red wire hanging out by itself? That just seemed like a bad situation. But I'm obviously not an electrician.

Edit: Just discovered another dangling red wire at the dining room fixture. What the hell?

Barnabas fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenTrench
Jun 19, 2004

Has anyone seen me?

insta posted:

Hmm, well, since there's apparently not a rule against it ...

I've found dual NEMA 6-15 outlets, and NEMA 6-15 to IEC 320N power cables.

What're the rules for using normal 12/2ga wire? Just tape up the neutral to mark it as hot?

Technically, that's two code violations. One is not allowed to tape up wire that's smaller than #6, and a neutral is not allowed to be phased to hot. Someone some day might pick up that wire elsewhere and go "wow, that's white, it's a neutral! Let me splice in because it's a neutral...."