Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cars have to deal with temperature changes that furniture doesn't. Radical temperature swings can make lacquer check(crack).

I would think something like Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil would work for your panels and it will enhance the grain.
It is a gun stock finishing oil originally, but I personally use it to finish guitar necks. If it can hold up on a rifle stock out in the woods I figure it can handle most anything.

Application is easy too just rub it in with your fingers and buff with steel wool in between coats. It can be built up and buffed to a very high polish.

I didn't build this but it shows off a highly polished Tru-Oil finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Wow, that sounds perfect. Is there a generic woodworking equivalent to the formulation of that oil? There are plenty of painting and building supply places here in the city but I'd need to go out of town to get to a gun store. I'd just get whatever the tool store answer to it.

EDIT: Holy crap, is it just boiled linseed oil? I've already got that for refinishing rifle stocks. Hmmmm.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 13, 2010

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I use cyanoacrylate and lots of sanding. Bare wood to 400, 5 coats of CA then sand it flat with 600 and buff with Micromesh through 1200,2400,3600,6000,8000,12000 grits. I use CA because it cures in seconds and I can get coats on quick, and even use an accelerator if I'm in an even bigger hurry. I'm not sure well it would work on something like that though. I don't think it would be feasible to get everything buffed and polished out by hand with something that can't be chucked on a lathe.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Are CAs really hard, or something? What makes them too tough to sand out with a sanding block and wet/dry paper?

EDIT: Oh, I get it. The only way to apply it fast enough is on a lathe. Yeah, I don't know how I'd get it on to my panels, even though they're not very big.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 13, 2010

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Wow, that sounds perfect. Is there a generic woodworking equivalent to the formulation of that oil? There are plenty of painting and building supply places here in the city but I'd need to go out of town to get to a gun store. I'd just get whatever the tool store answer to it.

EDIT: Holy crap, is it just boiled linseed oil? I've already got that for refinishing rifle stocks. Hmmmm.

It's a proprietary formula that contains boiled linseed oil among other things from what I understand. I used to be able to pick up bottles at Wal-Mart but it seems they stopped carrying it, now I get at Dick's a sporting goods store, I would assume any other sporting goods store with a hunting/gun section would carry or be able to get it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

It's a proprietary formula that contains boiled linseed oil among other things from what I understand. I used to be able to pick up bottles at Wal-Mart but it seems they stopped carrying it, now I get at Dick's a sporting goods store, I would assume any other sporting goods store with a hunting/gun section would carry or be able to get it.

Cool, I didn't know if there's something specific about it or not. As I said I've refinished a few rifle stocks in BLO, but not to a glossy finish. I still have a bunch of that at home, so I think I'll start with that and move on to Tru-oil if it's not shiny enough. Cheers!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

McMadCow posted:

Are CAs really hard, or something? What makes them too tough to sand out with a sanding block and wet/dry paper?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Its superglue. I use it on lathes just to seal cracks from spreading though never used it as a finish.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

McMadCow posted:

No. It is some variation of varnish/oil mix, sometimes called a Danish oil or wiping varnish. Gun stock finishing is more tradition than anything. Tru-oil is ridiculously expensive, don't waste money on it when you could mix your own or buy an alternative. Adding oil to varnish allows it to be more elastic. I have no experience with lacquer outside furniture where it is considered extremely durable. Regardless of what film finish you use, hand buffing is key to a high shine. And shellac is an acceptable sealer under any type of film finish, people usually use dewaxed or blonde shellac, but isn't always necessary.

The video is a bit annoying but educational.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30611

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the heads up on the shop vac; I picked up one the other week and it probably been the best investment I've made so far!

If you don't mind me picking your brains again, I was looking around at stepping things up a notch and building a router table. I'm quite enamored with this table Norm built on NYS, but before I plunk down some cash for the plans, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on router tables or suggestions or other plans they liked better.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 14, 2010

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Edit: Sorry, double post

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 14, 2010

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Anyone ever shop at CPO?
http://www.cpotools.com/

I'm looking at this:
http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-4100-10-in-worksite-table-saw/bshn4100,default,pd.html

Seems like a good deal for a saw that gets good reviews, I'm waiting to get something larger when I have room.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

McMadCow posted:

EDIT: Oh, I get it. The only way to apply it fast enough is on a lathe. Yeah, I don't know how I'd get it on to my panels, even though they're not very big.

If you get the slow-cure CA, you can certainly use it for a finish. My dad did it on a wooden tugboat model. I think he started with the thinner CA to penetrate, then built up the finish with the thicker slow-cure stuff. That hull was as hard as a rock when he was done, which is good because you usually end up beaching a model boat a lot. The downside is that it's a hellishly expensive option.

dja98
Aug 2, 2003
In the summertime, when the weather is high, you can stretch right up and touch the sky

900ftjesus posted:

Anyone ever shop at CPO?
http://www.cpotools.com/

I'm looking at this:
http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-4100-10-in-worksite-table-saw/bshn4100,default,pd.html

Seems like a good deal for a saw that gets good reviews, I'm waiting to get something larger when I have room.

I haven't bought anything from CPO but I do have this saw - it is awesome and has handled everything I have thrown at it. One note of caution though - it takes 2 people to put together and I skinned my knuckles doing so :)

I would recommend getting the Bosch gravity rise stand (you can buy the saw with the stand) - it makes the saw just the right height and makes it so easy to move - unless you have a location for it already, it i worth the extra cash.

I would also recommend looking at the Bosch zero clearance insert (TS1005) and (if you do large pieces) the extension rails (TS1002 and TS1003).

Some people also recommend the digital fence guide - I can't afford it at the minute and haven't had any problems with accuracy but if you have the money, you might want to think about it.

One last thing - think about waxing the bed before using the saw - it makes the fence easier to adjust and the wood slides easier.

RandyF
Oct 27, 2000

K100 W900 T800 C500
TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS!!!
Well, after building a few little things around the house, I decided to jump in with both feet. I just ordered $700 worth of hardwoods to build a California King "captain's bed".

I designed the whole thing in Sketchup, and used Cutlist to get board layouts. One of the lumber places near me was really patient working through my list of stuff to help me get what I needed.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the "simple" route on the joinery, and just rely on the scope of the project for shock-and-awe.

I'd post pictures of plans, but it is right on the fence between gaudy and fantastic, and honestly I don't even know what side it will be be on right now. I'll keep you updated as I go, I'm sure I'll have a few questions.

:ohdear:

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

dja98 posted:

I haven't bought anything from CPO but I do have this saw - it is awesome and has handled everything I have thrown at it. One note of caution though - it takes 2 people to put together and I skinned my knuckles doing so :)

I would recommend getting the Bosch gravity rise stand (you can buy the saw with the stand) - it makes the saw just the right height and makes it so easy to move - unless you have a location for it already, it i worth the extra cash.

I would also recommend looking at the Bosch zero clearance insert (TS1005) and (if you do large pieces) the extension rails (TS1002 and TS1003).

Some people also recommend the digital fence guide - I can't afford it at the minute and haven't had any problems with accuracy but if you have the money, you might want to think about it.

One last thing - think about waxing the bed before using the saw - it makes the fence easier to adjust and the wood slides easier.

Thanks for the info and advice. I was looking into the zero clearance insert for sure, I'll probably get the rails a bit later. Not sure about the stand yet, it's not going to move a lot, I just don't have room for anything bigger.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
So tempted to get this Craftsman lathe fro $100 despite my shop having zero room left
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/2116666160.html

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Do it. Use a spare bedroom for a lathe room. Dooo it.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I've been watching too much of "The Woodright's Shop" and a little bit of New Yankee Workshop, and so on a whim I went into H.D. and bought an 18" segment of 1x3. My intention is/was to carve it, really just whittle it with my gerber tool.

Is it just me, or is Red Oak the hardest wood known to man? I can't possibly imagine what Ebony is like.

Did I pick the wrong wood for whittling completely at random? I didn't want like normal framing 2x4's that are so soft and practically come apart at the grains. Then again I REALLY don't know what I'm doing.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I've always tried to avoid oak because it's horrible to deal with. Starting fires with drill bits and the like. I'd stick with fir/spruce/pine for whittling with a multitool.

I was browsing some boatbuilding forums when I ran into this device and was impressed. I'm not much of a woodworker, so I was kind of blown away by the simplicity.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

With the exception of the occasional rough building sorts of things, oak is literally the worst wood in the universe.

I adore it for many things, but any real woodwork and it's absolutely awful and terrible to deal with.

This comes from a lifetime of only ever using oak to build things, and about 3/4ths of a lifetime of terrible projects :v:

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

sixide posted:

this device and was impressed.

Whoa...totally impressed. That's some incredible workmanship and ingenuity right there

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

sixide posted:

this device

I just watched that whole video completely stupified... that is by far the most impressive jig I have ever seen :wth:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I agree that thing sure is pretty cool. Ingenuity! :whip:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
But it begs the question: How did he cut the first template?

If he used rasps to round off the tenon, does that mean he's reproducing all those imperfections he was initially aiming to circumvent?

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

The Scientist posted:

But it begs the question: How did he cut the first template?

If he used rasps to round off the tenon, does that mean he's reproducing all those imperfections he was initially aiming to circumvent?

His mortise templates are very simple and use what looks like machined plastic or something, so they should be deadly accurate.

I would guess he printed a paper template for the tenons and cut it on a bandsaw (his favorite power tool, it seems), so it should have minimal errors.

Also the 2:1 reduction means any errors in the final product are reduced by 2 (4?) as well.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I use white oak a lot and I've never had a single problem with it. Its an incredibly common hardwood in the midwest, so its great to find a locally sourced hardwood I can get cheap.

For quick mortise and tenon nothing I've seen beats the festool domino, its stupidly fun in a production environment, my boss bought one for a series of lamps we made and we blasted them out in no time.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

ChaoticSeven posted:

Do it. Use a spare bedroom for a lathe room. Dooo it.

I was wondering: is some of the smaller stuff you do (pens, stoppers, etc.) something that could be accomplished on a smaller "hobby" lathe? I have a big drafting table that I use as a workbench and have been wanting to get into turning, but am I just going to start, say "this is awesome, but I need a bigger lathe" and then feel like I wasted that initial investment?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

PipeRifle posted:

am I just going to start, say "this is awesome, but I need a bigger lathe" and then feel like I wasted that initial investment?

This is generally how tools work.

If you are unsure of a hobby/skill, then always buy used, that way you can usually resell it for what you paid.

semi-related: Bought a like-new DeWalt 925DLX radial arm saw yesterday, stored indoors its whole life, no rust, no wear on the ways, motor sounds great (so quiet!) and the blade brake works perfectly, it came with a bunch of blades. It is going on my rolling cart assembly table, so I will likely be able to sell the base for 1/3rd of what I paid for the whole thing, which was $175.

There's no SCMS that could come close to matching the quality or capabilities of this thing, not for thrice the price.

Point: you just have to 1. know what you are looking for, research older machines, know what ones were good. and 2. continuously keep an eye out, you will eventually find what you are looking for. I was in a huge rush to "get equipment" after I left school, and made several poor purchasing decisions. Now I just know what I want and am willing to wait for the right equipment to come around.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

PipeRifle posted:

I was wondering: is some of the smaller stuff you do (pens, stoppers, etc.) something that could be accomplished on a smaller "hobby" lathe? I have a big drafting table that I use as a workbench and have been wanting to get into turning, but am I just going to start, say "this is awesome, but I need a bigger lathe" and then feel like I wasted that initial investment?

Yes, you can do those small things on a "hobby" lathe. Just keep in mind the lathe is generally the least of your costs in turning. Unless you get a giant Powermatic bowl lathe that runs over $3k. Basically any lathe that doesn't have runout and the head and tailstock line up is good to go for pens/stoppers/ornaments/dildos.

If you go used just try to get one that at least has quick releases on the tailstock and toolrest. I thought I could put up with bolts for those things but it just isn't feasible for me.

Edit: Also, a lot of people who get into turning via pens or the like do in fact end up with bigger lathes. Many also keep the small lathe for the small things too. The big one can do all the things a small one can, though.

ChaoticSeven fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 19, 2010

DropDeadRed
Jan 31, 2008

sixide posted:

His mortise templates are very simple and use what looks like machined plastic or something, so they should be deadly accurate.

I would guess he printed a paper template for the tenons and cut it on a bandsaw (his favorite power tool, it seems), so it should have minimal errors.

Also the 2:1 reduction means any errors in the final product are reduced by 2 (4?) as well.

The inventor brought this machine to the December meeting of the Ottawa Woodworkers Association. He had the sample tripple mortise/tenon joint there and it was TIGHT.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Yeah, I'm officially glad I bought my Grizzly G0513X2 bandsaw.

I made a router bowl for a Christmas gift this weekend (more on that in a bit). I decided to give it a "cap" of Walnut, and I had a short 10" wide board that I couldn't really use for anything else.

Put a Lenox Kerfmaster on the saw, set the fence, and in 5 minutes I had a couple beautiful 1/8" boards out of it.

I glued up the blank and routed it out this afternoon. I think it was a solid 2 hours of routing - and that was even after I wasted away most of the inside of the bowl with a forstner bit. I only have a 1 3/4 HP router, so I was taking it slow. My template is only a quarter of the bowl, so I had to route until I was as deep as the router could go, then move the template. I'm looking at bigger routers now on Amazon, maybe I'll buy myself a 2 1/4 HP Christmas gift.

Once it was all routed out, it was back to the bandsaw to cut it out of the square blank. I had mounted a Lenox Diemaster on the bandsaw yesterday rather than leaving my resaw blade on it, so it was good to go. It made short work of cutting out the circle and did a great job that only required minimal sanding.

I used to hate using the old bandsaw because it would not cut along a line, vibrated something terrible, and was in general not very useful except for cutting up scrap. The Grizzly is so much nicer and a welcome addition to the shop.

Now if I just had room for that Unisaw I saw on Craigslist...

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DropDeadRed posted:

The inventor brought this machine to the December meeting of the Ottawa Woodworkers Association. He had the sample tripple mortise/tenon joint there and it was TIGHT.

Was everyone there as :aaaaa: as us, cause that is seriously impressive.

I'm in the middle of building a little food bowl stand for my dog. I've got it basically assembled, but I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it. The base is pine plywood with prefab legs and railing that I presume are also pine. My dog will inevitably be slurping all over the thing, so something non-toxic (or at least non-toxic after drying) would be essential. I thought about just using some food-grade mineral oil, but I thought it might be nice to stain it as well. Any suggestions on what sort of stain I should use that would be food-safe?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

stubblyhead posted:

Was everyone there as :aaaaa: as us, cause that is seriously impressive.

I'm in the middle of building a little food bowl stand for my dog. I've got it basically assembled, but I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it. The base is pine plywood with prefab legs and railing that I presume are also pine. My dog will inevitably be slurping all over the thing, so something non-toxic (or at least non-toxic after drying) would be essential. I thought about just using some food-grade mineral oil, but I thought it might be nice to stain it as well. Any suggestions on what sort of stain I should use that would be food-safe?

Dude this is seriously gonna blow your whole project, and I'm sorry in advance, but-

its not good to feed your dog from a raised up bowl (if your dog is big, that is). It promotes them swallowing air, which can lead to a deadly condition called bloat.

Only reason I'm even mentioning it is 'cause we lost our super beloved golden retriever/collie mix to this a couple of years ago. I was there all alone and watched her within 1 hour of showing any symptoms at all pass away. Heart-wrenching.

Again sorry, only don't wanna see something horrible happen. Again, this is the big issue only if you have a big, older dog. Its estimated to be the #2 cause of death in dogs meeting that criteria.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
drat what a buzz kill. I'm sure you can find something awesome to use it for. In fact I guarantee it.

Upholster it and make it an ottoman. The foot stool not the person.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sorry about your dog, but the jury is still out regarding whether a raised bowl contributes to bloat or not. We've done it for years on makeshift platforms with multiple dogs with no problems.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 20, 2010

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

DropDeadRed posted:

It's pretty neat - I'm thinking about buying the plans and playing around with it.

But first I get to order my first real bandsaw :woop: And that's what brings me here - I'm not sure what to get.

I know this has been covered a couple times - but I need some help choosing which bandsaw. I'm leaning towards the G0555X. It's out of my price range a little (I was looking at 600 - and this is 625 - unfortunately 725 with freight). It seems well liked and pretty good for my price range. It seems like enough of an improvement over the G0555 to justify the cost, even though the G0555+frieght is closer to my budget.

725 is pretty much the max I can go so please don't tell me there is a great bandsaw at 800+ dollars - I'm sure there is but I can't go higher.

If there is a reason not to get something in the price range I have please let me know. I don't want to wait too long for a deal - I finally have the time, money, opportunity, and space to use a bandsaw so I want to take advantage of it ASAP.

What do I want for my bandsaw : My immediate project is to cut some wood to make marimba keys. I want to be able to cut curves into pieces of maple that will be up to 14inchs long, up to 2 in wide, and up to 4 in thick.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

sixide posted:

I've always tried to avoid oak because it's horrible to deal with. Starting fires with drill bits and the like. I'd stick with fir/spruce/pine for whittling with a multitool.

I was browsing some boatbuilding forums when I ran into this device and was impressed. I'm not much of a woodworker, so I was kind of blown away by the simplicity.

Strange -- it's a great machine, but I don't think that video really shows how cool it really could be. He should get with the Bridge City Tool guy and brainstorm some "Oh poo poo I couldn't possibly make that without that machine" ideas going.

I mean, he has one, but ... wow nice job making a machine that mimics the look of through-dowel construction. :geno:

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Cobalt60 posted:

Strange -- it's a great machine, but I don't think that video really shows how cool it really could be. He should get with the Bridge City Tool guy and brainstorm some "Oh poo poo I couldn't possibly make that without that machine" ideas going.

He could mass produce ball-bearing mazes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Someone sent me a link to a boingboing item which was itself just a youtube video. Here's that video (it's not the mortise and tenon thing). I dunno, seems nifty enough. It's really just an unpowered fixed-blade table saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ruwZdaPjbs

I can't imagine trying to use it with even a marginally dull blade. ;)