Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Many, many months ago in this thread I asked why Aliens looked all weird and cheap like a made-for-tv movie. After watching it again on Blu-Ray, I've come to assume that it was probably my friend's TV that made it look like that. Because it actually looks loving brilliant. Don't I feel like a chump right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Aliens Blu-Ray is a vast improvement over every other format. It's the best restoration of a modern movie that I'm aware of.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

twistedmentat posted:

Whats up with that? Is there any other instances of posters/dvds/video covers completely changing the look of one of the actors?
Kristen Stewart, is that you?

Also, What is 'skip the K and the Y' from? I've heard it in passing and I simpsons parodied it in season 19 but google wasn't really helping me find the origin.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 5, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Nierbo posted:

Also, What is 'skip the K and the Y' from? I've heard it in passing and I simpsons parodied it in season 19 but google wasn't really helping me find the origin.

What's the context? (KY jelly springs to mind but..)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Which movies does Pam Grier pull a gun from her hair? I know one of them is either Coffy or Foxy Brown, those movies blend together in my head. Google indicates it's Foxy Brown, which means Coffy is the one where she hides razor blades in her hair. But I'm pretty sure she does the gun trick in another movie also.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nierbo posted:

Kristen Stewart, is that you?

What the hell? I never knew they kept making Wild Things movies. Is there a 90s movie that didn't get a ton of crummy direct to video sequels?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Riptor posted:

Not an effect per se but in the initial helicopter shot of The Shining you can see the shadow of the helicopter for at least a few seconds

Similarly, at the end of Quadrophenia you can see the helicopter filming the scenes shadow and moped tracks from previous takes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Anyone know the source of Hitchcock's quote about Spielberg when he said he was "the first one of us who doesn't see the proscenium arch" supposedly with regard to Jaws?

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

Anyone know the source of Hitchcock's quote about Spielberg when he said he was "the first one of us who doesn't see the proscenium arch" supposedly with regard to Jaws?

I have no idea, but if someone could explain what he meant by this it would be appreciated.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Schweinhund posted:

Sounds like it was Pauline Kael in 1976.

quote:

Pauline Kael described having a drink in 1976 with an unnamed director of the older generation who said of Spielberg, "He must have never seen a play; he's the first one of us who doesn't think in terms of the proscenium arch. With him, there's nothing but the camera lens"

Google Books

Edit:

sursumdeorsum posted:

I have no idea, but if someone could explain what he meant by this it would be appreciated.

I think it means that he wasn't considering normal standards for stage work in creating his movies. While many movies have lots of scenes of driving or perhaps an open area, they often aim to get to a scene that's more stage-like - a room, a defined space, a place where you could have one or more scenes with a fixed camera if you wanted to.

What he would be saying is that Spielberg didn't appear to think in terms of a stage and was approaching it entirely from the perspective of a camera. He didn't have a "fixed audience" concept in mind where things off stage/outside of the camera didn't exist.

I find it always interesting how different movies made by playwrights or theater-folk are because not only is their dialogue different, but the way they film is also different. People enter Stage Left all the time. That's just my interpretation. I grew up on post-theatre material so I think I see the scenario in reverse. Films shot like plays stick out to me, not the other way around.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 11, 2010

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

sursumdeorsum posted:

The proscenium arch is the arch that encloses a theatre stage. What the quote means is that film directors used film as a way to record a stage, but Spielberg was one of the first to use film as its own art form.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Ape Agitator posted:

Sounds like it was Pauline Kael in 1976.

Thanks. That sort of reinforces my doubts about Hitchcock ever having said that since it says "unnamed director". It's attributed to Hitchcock in Spielberg's wikipedia page and a lot of articles.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 11, 2010

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

Schweinhund posted:

Thanks. That sort of reinforces my doubts about Hitchcock ever having said that since it says "unnamed director". It's attributed to Hitchcock in Spielberg's wikipedia page and a lot of articles.

If it was Hitchcock, that would be pretty drat high praise indeed.

For some reason, I really want hazard a guess at it being Orson Welles.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I hope it was neither of them because it's kind of a dumb quote

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hitchcock would make sense. He did admit that two of his favorite films were The Phantom Carriage and Smokey and the Bandit. :haw:

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns
So apparently the Director's Cut of Bad Santa is hosed up but how is the unrated version. I'm trying to get the blu-ray but the original version is &60 rape dollars on Amazon and ships from a retarded continent on the whole other side of the world.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

demons_souls posted:

So apparently the Director's Cut of Bad Santa is hosed up but how is the unrated version. I'm trying to get the blu-ray but the original version is &60 rape dollars on Amazon and ships from a retarded continent on the whole other side of the world.

It adds a few inconsequential scenes. Nothing really monumental. I've seen most of it on TV and the "Badder Santa" version.

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4618

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Zogo posted:

It adds a few inconsequential scenes. Nothing really monumental. I've seen most of it on TV and the "Badder Santa" version.

Wow, whoever maintains that site is seriously dedicated and probably crazy.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
What are some of the hidden gems on the lovely Canadian Netflix?

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns

Zogo posted:

Nice. Thanks.

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
What the gently caress is a rape dollar?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

morestuff posted:

It's the english version of this site run by Germans. So yeah, crazy. Indispensable but insanely dedicated and precise.
http://www.schnittberichte.com/

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

mexicanmonkey posted:

What the gently caress is a rape dollar?

You mean like in the phrase, "I can pay you back with rape dollars"? I don't know what movie it's from but it basically means, "I can't pay you back but I will rape you." It's just a stupid joke.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns

Binowru posted:

You mean like in the phrase, "I can pay you back with rape dollars"? I don't know what movie it's from but it basically means, "I can't pay you back but I will rape you." It's just a stupid joke.

It's from Sam Raimi's blockbuster film Spider-Man, as seen above.

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
Heh, rape.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

demons_souls posted:

I just want to say that the director's cut of Donnie Darko took a neat movie, and ruined it.

I read somewhere that the original test screening of American Beauty was a version where the entire story was told in flashbacks from the point of view of the trial of the daughter and boyfriend for the murder of the Kevin Spacey character. It bombed in test screenings, and was basically completed reformulated with the narration by Kevin Spacey. None of the other actors were aware of the drastic reformulation of the movie (since it required only voice over and no additional shooting) and were shocked at the premiere. (apperently the movie was written as a musing on the Amy Fisher shooting.)

This is a cool story of the audience getting it right.

However, I have never been able to find where I read this.

Did I just have a really cool dream, or did this actually happen?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 13, 2010

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

kapalama posted:

I read somewhere that the original test screening of American Beauty was a version where the entire story was told in flashbacks from the point of view of the trial of the daughter and boyfriend for the murder of the Kevin Spacey character. It bombed in test screenings, and was basically completed reformulated with the narration by Kevin Spacey. None of the other actors were aware of the drastic reformulation of the movie (since it required only voice over and no additional shooting) and were shocked at the premiere. (apperently the movie was written as a musing on the Amy Fisher shooting.)

Did I just have a really cool dream, or did this actually happen?

A while back, someone bought me an original script for American Beauty, and this is exactly the movie's framework. It opens and closes with info about the trial. The video that opens the film (in which Thora Birch talks about killing her dad) is leaked to the media by Lester's real killer (if you've seen the movie, this is the same character). The opening is set up to make the guy and girl seem very guilty. The movie then plays out the same as it does, but as it ends, we come back to the trial and see everything with the new perspective.

The movie ends with Lester's ghost narrating a look at everyone's lives. The biggest loss about this is that Conrad Hall said this ending was his best work on the film, and given how gorgeous his cinematography is in the rest of the movie, I wish we could see that.

I dunno about the audience, though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Riptor posted:

Not an effect per se but in the initial helicopter shot of The Shining you can see the shadow of the helicopter for at least a few seconds

I don't like to think of a perfectionist like Kubrick making an error like that, so I like to imagine it's flown by one of the ghosts from the hotel.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Brown Moses posted:

I don't like to think of a perfectionist like Kubrick making an error like that, so I like to imagine it's flown by one of the ghosts from the hotel.

Didn't Kubrick have a massive fear of flying? Did he actually shoot that stuff or what? Maybe he could only afford one take of it and the guy they hired to shoot it hosed up and he couldn't do anything about it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It was probably shot, like most of the flying footage, in Glacier National Park (some of the leftover footage went on to star in the end credits of the original Blade Runner, and other pieces can be seen in Koyaanisqatsi). I'm not sure what the actual process was for the helicopter shots, but Kubrick wasn't physically present. As said elsewhere, and probably in this thread, The Shining was shot and edited for 1.85:1, most likely with a matte on the editing screen, so it would have been invisible when the gently caress-up occurred (a few frames were added to make the shots sync better with the music).

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
When the rights to the Narnia franchise went to Fox, did that include selling the TV rights to the Disney-produced films?

Only asking because Prince Caspian is on SyFy Channel right now, and it seems like far too new a movie to be showing on basic cable before prime time hours. ...Or is Disney just that eager to rid themselves of this franchise?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

When the rights to the Narnia franchise went to Fox, did that include selling the TV rights to the Disney-produced films?

Only asking because Prince Caspian is on SyFy Channel right now, and it seems like far too new a movie to be showing on basic cable before prime time hours. ...Or is Disney just that eager to rid themselves of this franchise?

From looking at the IMDB, Walden Media produced the films and Disney was only distributor for the first two.

I thought the first was an excellent adaptation, but Prince Caspian had about 20 minutes of movie stretched to 2 1/2 hours.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

morestuff posted:

Holy poo poo yeah -- they even compare DVD versions to lovely bootleg work prints (see Starship Troopers).

That's for all those times when you were wondering "hmm, should I watch this DVD here or maybe instead the director intended for me to see the WORKPRINT".

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I recently watched Training Day. Was Alonzo planning to have Jake killed from the beginning or was it only because Jake was objecting to what was going on?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Egbert Souse posted:

From looking at the IMDB, Walden Media produced the films and Disney was only distributor for the first two.

I thought the first was an excellent adaptation, but Prince Caspian had about 20 minutes of movie stretched to 2 1/2 hours.

The book is about twenty pages of story stretched over 150 pages, so that's sort of fitting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So has there been many films released twice with radically different cuts? The only one I can think of are the two versions of the Exorcist prequel from a few years ago. One was a studio version, the other the origonal directors I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

So has there been many films released twice with radically different cuts? The only one I can think of are the two versions of the Exorcist prequel from a few years ago. One was a studio version, the other the origonal directors I think.

Brazil was sort of like this. There is the American cut, international cut. and if you saw it on tv the Love Conquers all cut. The American and International are basically the same the love conquers all is something that needs to be seen to believe. However watch it after watching the real movie as you can understand what an absolute travesty it is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Mr Arkadin is a famous example of this as well. Slightly outdated info via IMDB:

quote:

There are five versions of the film, Mr. Arkadin.

-There is the public domain version, the one most common in America. After the opening credits, it begins with Van Stratten's narration on the docks. It is told in linear time.

-There is the European version, called Confidential Report. It has footage of paper mache bats in the credits, and has some footage not seen in the public domain version. It is told in flashbacks.

-There is the version currently in possession of Corinth Films. According to Welles friend Peter Bogdanovich, this version and its first four scenes correspond directly to Orson Welles' intentions. It is told in flashbacks.

-There is a Spanish language version that corresponds directly to the Corinth version. However, the roles played by Katina Paxinou and Suzanne Flon are now played by Spanish actresses.

-As of 2005, there is a version being prepared by the Munich Filmmuseum that not only contains footage found in different versions of the film, but also corresponds as closely as possible to the complete intentions of Orson Welles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Zogo posted:

I recently watched Training Day. Was Alonzo planning to have Jake killed from the beginning or was it only because Jake was objecting to what was going on?

No way to be sure. He probably would have let Jake live if Jake had been open to corruption, but he was definitely ready with the Jake-disposal back-up plan. I think Alonzo had doubts from the beginning because of Jake's boy scout morality but would have let him slide had he taken the money.