Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

!Klams posted:

Nah, I'm a dude. It's not really like its a problem, its just weird how mega intense it is, especially for something just over the counter, and how it only started being the case recently. Also, it happens within minutes, possibly seconds of taking it? I didn't think it was possible for something to be so fast acting, certainly the painkilling aspect doesn't kick in for a good while.
Within seconds even? It's gotta be psychological. Get a friend to double-blind test you with sugar pills vs whatever you're taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It's definitely psychosomatic. Have you had a sexual experience after taking a pill before? Your mind and body has a way of associating certain things. After drinking a bottle of Zicam to robotrip, consuming a 5 hour energy would instantly give me the same queasy feeling the come-up of a robotrip gives you.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 13, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Have you ever read Gravity's Rainbow?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Perhaps you mixed up your aspirin with your horny goat weed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is it okay (non-harmful) to plug my Droid X phone into the car charger used by my Garmin GPS?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ I know nothing about those devices in particular but unless you know exactly what/why you are doing when it comes to that kind of stuff it's better to just assume you're going to gently caress something up.

I'm sure there's a video camera megathread around here but I can't seem to find it. All I want is just a decent, cheap 1080p video camera but I am lost in a sea of acronyms and ambiguous wording.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 13, 2010

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Chinaski posted:

Is it okay (non-harmful) to plug my Droid X phone into the car charger used by my Garmin GPS?

I'd check the various current ratings or whatever on the appropriate charger and see if they're different from the Garmin's. I'd err on the side of nodon't, though, just because it's an expensive thing to break.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I've personally done it before except with a Droid Eris and everything was fine. I think I might have gotten a message saying something along the lines of "This is not a valid charger" but it still charged the phone fine.

It's just mini USB, I can't imagine anything that'd break it.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Got into a conversation with a conspiracy nut today. He ranted for an hour on topics ranging from 2012 to both Kennedy assassinations to Christopher Columbus seeing aliens off the coast of Japan. Somewhere in there he talked a bit about a psychic I think from the 20s who had better predictions than Nostradamus, and part of his reason for believing in the guy was that he supposedly never charged money for his readings. I can't remember the name of the person and I wanted to look him up on wiki. Anyone know the name of any famous early 20th century prognosticators?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Elijya posted:

Got into a conversation with a conspiracy nut today. He ranted for an hour on topics ranging from 2012 to both Kennedy assassinations to Christopher Columbus seeing aliens off the coast of Japan. Somewhere in there he talked a bit about a psychic I think from the 20s who had better predictions than Nostradamus, and part of his reason for believing in the guy was that he supposedly never charged money for his readings. I can't remember the name of the person and I wanted to look him up on wiki. Anyone know the name of any famous early 20th century prognosticators?

Barry Smith?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Edgar Cayce

The only reason that I'm aware of him is because I live in Kentucky and he's one of Hopkinsville's claims to fame.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008
Is there any way to stop Google correcting me? Sometimes I want to search for a phrase that is intentionally worded in a peculiar way, but Google won't have any of it.

For example, if I search for "it my birthday today" it will only return results for "it's my birthday today".

What about all the people who can't write properly? Are they doomed to never appear on Google's search page?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

a computer posted:

Is there any way to stop Google correcting me? Sometimes I want to search for a phrase that is intentionally worded in a peculiar way, but Google won't have any of it.

For example, if I search for "it my birthday today" it will only return results for "it's my birthday today".

What about all the people who can't write properly? Are they doomed to never appear on Google's search page?

Put the phrase, or the specific words, that you don't want corrected in quotes, and Google shouldn't change them. So for that, you could search for ""it" my birthday today", for example.

However, for anything not in quotes, Google usually searches for all forms of the word to avoid exactly that problem; different tenses, different pluralizations, it'll even expand or collapse abbreviations and acronyms. For example, before I've Googled for "DEP" for Windows stuff and gotten back results that included "department". So back to your example, if you search for "it my birthday today", it should also bring up results for "it's" and "it". It's possible it's not showing the results with your peculiar wording in the search results just because none of the popular results have that specific peculiar wording you're looking for on them.

Idran fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 14, 2010

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can also remove the alternate words from your search

code:
"it my birthday today" -it's -its

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'm sure there's a video camera megathread around here but I can't seem to find it. All I want is just a decent, cheap 1080p video camera but I am lost in a sea of acronyms and ambiguous wording.

Cheap, decent, easy: Flip Mino HD or Flip Ultra HD. I think one's smaller than the other, not really sure the difference.

They're extremely easy, and while they're not the best quality, if you're not familiar with the acronyms it ought to be good enough!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Can you not check expected traffic conditions for a given time anymore on Google Maps? (Not traffic at present.) I can't seem to find that option anymore.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Can you not check expected traffic conditions for a given time anymore on Google Maps? (Not traffic at present.) I can't seem to find that option anymore.

1. Type in your destination, plot directions.
2. on the map itself click "traffic"
3. the "live traffic" thing in the bottom left pops up, click change.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

RaoulDuke12 posted:

1. Type in your destination, plot directions.
2. on the map itself click "traffic"
3. the "live traffic" thing in the bottom left pops up, click change.

Oh man, what the hell is it doing way down there? Thanks.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Hootie Hoo posted:

What was the name of the toy from the mid 90s that let you make candies in the shape of gross things like zombie brains, and bugs and poo poo? I'm having a brain fart on this one.

Doctor Dreadful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSO3VyXS3PA

Mechafunkzilla posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2IHnWY-i6Y

What's the name of the song at the very beginning of this video?

Pharoahe Monch - "Simon Says"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4zvvSjUj9w

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Travakian posted:

Cheap, decent, easy: Flip Mino HD or Flip Ultra HD. I think one's smaller than the other, not really sure the difference.

They're extremely easy, and while they're not the best quality, if you're not familiar with the acronyms it ought to be good enough!

I hate to be "that guy" but I guess I should have set a price point: >< $300 with reasonable features and storage. Kind of like the phillips dvp of camcorders. No proprietary or whatever cables/software and just good middle of the road gear all the way around.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but I guess I should have set a price point: >< $300 with reasonable features and storage. Kind of like the phillips dvp of camcorders. No proprietary or whatever cables/software and just good middle of the road gear all the way around.

this one appears to be pretty decent, does HD, even slow-mo (!), has a decent low light (and a built in on camera light)

http://www.google.com/products?q=DXG-A80VHD&aq=f

Either way, it doesn't really look like there's a lot in the name of quality between the 200-700 range believe it or not, so might as well save some money and get something like this.

The only exception that really stood out was this camera:

http://www.google.com/products?q=JVC+GZ-HD620&aq=f

It's a bit out of your price range, but it has a 1/4" backlit CMOS sensor, which = great low light capability, and it's got a built in 120gb hard drive, so you could record about 50 hours of stuff before you had to dump it. Also it records for AVCHD codec instead of H.264, which is a much better compression.

Again, it's $450 or so depending on where you buy, but it's the only one that stood out in that middle range of cameras as a pretty drat good camera that wasn't 600-700 bucks like ones similar to it (although the 600 buck ones had microphone inputs).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Also it records for AVCHD codec instead of H.264, which is a much better compression.

Everything else you said notwithstanding, AVCHD is h.264 (in a different organizing container).

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

BorderPatrol posted:

You can also remove the alternate words from your search

code:
"it my birthday today" -it's -its

This solution worked the best. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Thanks for your time Idran and BorderPatrol!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Arriviste posted:

Edgar Cayce

The only reason that I'm aware of him is because I live in Kentucky and he's one of Hopkinsville's claims to fame.
That's it, thanks! Hmm, doesn't sound like he had any specific dramatic predictions, just advise for people :/

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

a computer posted:

This solution worked the best. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Thanks for your time Idran and BorderPatrol!

This would work better since the other one removes pages with any occurrence its or it's:

+"it my birthday today" -"it's my birthday today"

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Elijya posted:

That's it, thanks! Hmm, doesn't sound like he had any specific dramatic predictions, just advise for people :/
These sites, [1], [2], and [3], have some of his more thrilling prognostications.

:tinfoil:

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Has anyone else received a "pop-up" ad on the forums today? I had one and it was the first time that's ever happened here. It slid down the screen and asked if I'd like to take a survey.

I politely declined.

I hope this isn't going to become even remotely standard.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

AhhYes posted:

Has anyone else received a "pop-up" ad on the forums today? I had one and it was the first time that's ever happened here. It slid down the screen and asked if I'd like to take a survey.

I politely declined.

I hope this isn't going to become even remotely standard.

No it isn't. You should let them know in the Questions, Comments and Suggestions forum

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

^^ I know nothing about those devices in particular but unless you know exactly what/why you are doing when it comes to that kind of stuff it's better to just assume you're going to gently caress something up.

Video Qucik questions thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389301

It has everything from how to hook up your HDMI to what RED camera to buy to shoot your IMAX film.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Binowru posted:

No it isn't. You should let them know in the Questions, Comments and Suggestions forum

Isn't there a specific thread for posting annoying ad complaints? (I thought there was but I cannot find it.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Kaida Script: Is this an actual thing, or just a fringe idea from a fringe scientist?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

a computer posted:

You are not alone, my friend. http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kapalama posted:

Isn't there a specific thread for posting annoying ad complaints? (I thought there was but I cannot find it.)

It got removed. If you read the sticky in that forum:

quote:

lovely ADS: If you have a problem with an advertisement using lovely popups or other messed-up advertising methods, please email our ad guy directly at sroberts@somethingawful.com. This is by far the fastest way for us to act on the ad. The dude literally just sits at his desk every single day, staring at his inbox, waiting for you to report a bad ad. In fact, he's looking forward to hearing from you! Please, don't forget to mention what you're wearing! (There's no need to post threads about bad ads, our guy will take care of it.)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

RaoulDuke12 posted:

this one appears to be pretty decent, does HD, even slow-mo (!), has a decent low light (and a built in on camera light)

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I kept landing on the jvc everio models when comparing certain things so I am thinking I'll go that route.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

We've got this guy by Sanyo and like it quite a bit. It takes good still pictures as well as video and has a nice zoom. And since the memory is on a card, you can take as many pictures or videos as you want, for as long as you want. That is one of the things that sold me on the Sanyo instead of the Flip.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Thanks again, I happened on those a few times but they are a bit lacking in a couple of the features I am looking for.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Everything else you said notwithstanding, AVCHD is h.264 (in a different organizing container).

Fair enough, I was trying to avoid getting exceedingly technical. In short, the reason AVCHD is a better codec from a consumer standpoint is that it integrates better with windows and you can author to DVD or Blu Ray without reencoding. But you are right in that they are the same form of compression.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I'm including the title of a book in the title of a paper for a college course, how should I format the entire thing? Bold the title and underline the book?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

the posted:

If I'm including the title of a book in the title of a paper for a college course, how should I format the entire thing? Bold the title and underline the book?

Don't do anything to your title. Italicize the book title with in it.

E.g., Racism in Huckleberry Finn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, students do bold their paper titles sometimes, but it's not recommended by any of the style guides. If you really must bold it, bold all of it, so like Racism in Huckleberry Finn, but it's really not necessary.