Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Steakandchips posted:

Beautiful, but you need a snowman!

Snowgoon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It hasn't snowed heavily enough for that yet.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Cannucks celebrate Christmas?

Color me informed.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Steakandchips posted:

It hasn't snowed heavily enough for that yet.

:golfclap:

And yeah, the snow is too loving dry right now, it's basically powder. Next week is supposed to be a little warmer, maybe it'll get sticky enough to roll it up.

Thanks guys :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The idea of snow that stays powder for more than a couple hours is :psyduck: to me. PA and VA, the sun is ALWAYS enough to turn it sticky, I never would have figured it could be otherwise. That sounds loving awesome.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Luminous posted:

You forgot the over-arching "large" category.

Nah, some of the deadliest are the smallest. Blue ring octopus, red back spider. Its the smaller ones you gotta look out for.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Frogmanv2 posted:

Nah, some of the deadliest are the smallest. Blue ring octopus, red back spider. Its the smaller ones you gotta look out for.

To be fair, I'd say the Blue Ringed Octopus is much more deadly, the neurotoxin can stop your breathing within about 5 minutes IIRC. If you don't have people nearby to provide mouth-to-mouth or some other form of artificial breathing support, you're pretty much hosed. Red Backs are mostly a risk to children and old people, I'd much less worried about a Red Back bite than a Blue Ring bite!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

One of our smallest snakes is also the worlds most venomous too!

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I'd much less worried about a Red Back bite than a Blue Ring bite!

How is that even a realistic scenario

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

unleash the unicorn posted:

How is that even a realistic scenario

What do you mean?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What do you mean?

How would you be simultaneously bitten by both a blue ring octopus and a red back spider?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
WELCOME TO POISON ZOOQUARIUM

Oh poo poo everything's escaped, swimrun for your lives!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Harmburger posted:

How would you be simultaneously bitten by both a blue ring octopus and a red back spider?

You realise "than" and "then" are two completely different words, right?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

"Oh no, I've been bitten by both this poisonous spider, and this poisonous octopus! I am so much less worried about the spider bite than the octopus bite though."

If you had used "then" it would imply you're less worried about getting bitten by both, as opposed to being bitten by one individually.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Harmburger posted:

"Oh no, I've been bitten by both this poisonous spider, and this poisonous octopus! I am so much less worried about the spider bite than the octopus bite though."

If you had used "then" it would imply you're less worried about getting bitten by both, as opposed to being bitten by one individually.

Actually, if he used "then," it would be that he's much less worried about the very specific occurrence of being bitten by a Red Back and then being bitten Blue Ring, not simply being bit by both. Being bitten by a Blue Ring and then a Red Back would not qualify.

Sequence matters here guys.

Also, what this is in relation to (as in, "I'd be much less worried about being bitten by a Red Back and then being bitten by a Blue Ring than I am about X," where X = anything, from finding a Leprechaun's gold to being diagnosed with Asberger's) is unknown.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Harmburger posted:

Yeah, not quite sure how you're getting the impression he would be bit by both.

For the sake of argument though, we should have him go get bit by both and then tell us if he prefers one bite to the other :D

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This, this is the worst page.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Not wrong!

:psyduck:

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Last page I was dreaming of my own house here in Australia. You guys were quick to make fun of the deadly creatures that supposedly inhabit our homes here. Well I'm here to tell you that nothing of the sort ev-

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

:(

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Jesus christ. I started reading this thread about a year ago (it feels like it at least), it got lost from my bookmarks and I just rediscovered it.

I skipped to the end and holy god the house looks awesome.

An incredible amount of work has been done in a short time. Last time I checked there wasnt a lawn to speak of, now there are trees planted and a smoker put together.

How does it feel to not be lazy? :(

Edit: I still have no idea what the rain catcher barrel things are for though. Washing tractors and watering plants? I figured Canada gets plenty of rain.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 13, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: I still have no idea what the rain catcher barrel things are for though. Washing tractors and watering plants? I figured Canada gets plenty of rain.

Eh, I used to do that here too. Basically free water for watering the lawn and garden when there's no rain to be seen. Might not save a lot of money vs running the garden hose but hey, it's free water.

I dismantled my rain barrels after they basically turned into giant mosquito breeding ponds though.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Eh, I used to do that here too. Basically free water for watering the lawn and garden when there's no rain to be seen. Might not save a lot of money vs running the garden hose but hey, it's free water.

I dismantled my rain barrels after they basically turned into giant mosquito breeding ponds though.

My neighbor uses rain barrels that are sealed up except for a tube with a valve on the bottom, and the gutter tube running into the top, which has got some sort of sealant around it. His gutters all drain into these two 55 gallon drums that are linked up, and there are no problems with mosquitoes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, ours were like that too but somehow the water was still infested. I'm sure there was something I did wrong but it's no big deal. Anyway, it was nice to just have free water for the plants and trees.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

Last page I was dreaming of my own house here in Australia. You guys were quick to make fun of the deadly creatures that supposedly inhabit our homes here. Well I'm here to tell you that nothing of the sort ev-

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

:(

Wow, where did you manage to find a 5-gallon bucket in clear plastic?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's an Australian Hermit Spider. It steals the buckets off of unsuspecting outback janitors.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm on the prairie, so I don't get a whole lot of rain.

I collect what little rain I do get to feed my evergreen trees, my well water is too salty/mineralized for them.

This spring I will pump all of it into that gigantic tank so I can also water my garden with it, if I have enough.

The barrels have lids too, so hopefully the skeeters will stay out. (there's still a giant slough out back for them to breed in, the little fuckers)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
They sell these things, now they even have 'em at lowe's, that are little donut shaped things that look like little ring of like organic styrofoam. They're actually little dormant bacteria and when you dunk them in water they dissolve and the bacteria eats mosquito larvae.

We used to use them in the horses' water troughs cause they're even safe for pets to ingest. This was in the swamp so I made it a point to go around and find every little thing in the yard that would collect water to stagnate and dump it out, and through parts of the donut things in all standing water puddles. I even threw some in the canal, I'd imagine throwing enough in there that some day they'd reproduce and actually have an effect in that much water. Dunno how that worked out.

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 16, 2010

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Yeah, Mosquito Dunks! They work brilliantly. I use them in my outdoor plants’ water dishes. There are also mosquito–eating minnows one can stock in larger bodies of water—yet another thing I learned watching Dirty Jobs.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Right! That's where I learned about going around and upturning anything that might hold stagnate water.

They also make these which are super expensive, but are really pretty clever- they appeal to every one of a mosquito's sensory organs that they use to hunt; it burns propane to make heat and carbon dioxide like a warm blooded mammal.

Then these things are way cheaper, and are what we used to use on the "farm": fogger machine

Also, at least in my part of Florida, you can actually call the local mosquito control and they can give you a special reflector that you put on your mailbox. Then when the pickup trucks with the wide area foggers on the back come around, and they see the sticker on your mailbox they'll pull down your driveway and fog around your house.

When it comes to mosquito, I ALWAYS err on the side of "kill 'em" instead of "repel 'em"

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My neighbour in the green house did some backfilling and smoothed out the earth in front of the new neighbour's place.

He also temporarily filled in the ditch a bit so they can get the house in on the truck.

He tells me the 4th is the scheduled move-in day, maybe I'll take the day off work and get some images of a crane swinging a house over my trees or something. :)

I wanted to do some blacksmithing today, but gently caress, it's cold.

Besides, I've been busy all week. I need a break. And to make some pizza.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

...maybe I'll take the day off work and get some images of a crane swinging a house over my trees or something. :)

Please do this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Your property is just crying out for an outdoor ice rink.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
He just filled it in with snow? That doesn't seem all that helpful.

But seriously, how in god's name are they planning on doing work like installing a prefab home in conditions like that? It boggles the florida mind.

Incidentally, I'm in South Carolina right now. Its below freezing, and I think there's something wrong with all the grass - its like dead or something, really pale and brittle and sickly looking. Also I think there's some kind of fire in the sewer system, cause smoke is just POURING out of the grate.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Quickly, grab your shotgun and toilet roll, the end is coming.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

The Scientist posted:

But seriously, how in god's name are they planning on doing work like installing a prefab home in conditions like that? It boggles the florida mind.

Incidentally, I'm in South Carolina right now. Its below freezing, and I think there's something wrong with all the grass - its like dead or something, really pale and brittle and sickly looking. Also I think there's some kind of fire in the sewer system, cause smoke is just POURING out of the grate.

Its smoke from the rats having a poker party!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The Scientist posted:

See all this dirt?

It wasn't snow, he filled it with the clay that he removed from the foundation hole. It just snowed on top of it afterwards.

There are techniques for building things in winter, they usually involve things like coats and insulated gloves. Also, hardening the gently caress up, which I need to do more of, I have been really bad this year.

e: oh you weren't serious about the snow thing, whoops, sorry :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

In the last 3 days, I have baked 5 batches of shortbread. Plus one batch of gluten free (which taste good but are pretty thin).

I think I have flour poisoning :smith:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slung Blade posted:

I guess that means it's time for Canadian thanksgiving :woop:

Welding gloves are the best oven mitts. I have three pairs -- one for the kitchen, one for work rearranging frozen-food cases in grocery stores (insulation works both ways), and one for actually welding.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Delivery McGee posted:

Welding gloves are the best oven mitts. I have three pairs -- one for the kitchen, one for work rearranging frozen-food cases in grocery stores (insulation works both ways), and one for actually welding.

I have a pair for the kitchen, but I go through one every year. The same thing keeps happening: I get some sort of food/sauce on them and that part of the glove loses all of it's insulating powers. Is this normal, or do I need to find a better pair of gloves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What kind of welding gloves are they Wandering Knitter? I haven't really run into that problem yet.

I go through a pair a year or so, but that's my blacksmithing glove. I have like 3 or 4 right hand gloves in great shape that I will never be able to get rid of. I don't wear a glove on my hammer hand until it starts bleeding, so that glove never gets worn out.