Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You're probably right about it feeling faster, however, I was under the impression that certain things couldn't be changed without a signed update from Motorola. I always run quadrant a couple of times after I load a ROM, and after applying the same ROM I had been using but after the OTAs, I'm consistently getting around 100 points higher now :confused:.

I'm not familiar with the Moto security measures, so maybe that's the case - if they're not fully unlocked, what I said could be wrong. I thought they had been by now.

But Radio updates could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Casao posted:

I'm not familiar with the Moto security measures, so maybe that's the case - if they're not fully unlocked, what I said could be wrong. I thought they had been by now.

But Radio updates could do that.

Unfortunately the bootloader has remained uncracked (and can't be brute-forced because the signature something ridiculous like 2048-bit), so ROMs for the X are little more than themes. You also have to be careful when flashing an sbf file, because if one of Motorola's signed updates has changed the bootloader, an older sbf will brick it.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Flyndre posted:

Why does my HTC Desire not show up in droid explorer? I'm using modaco ROM, it has busybox, I've enabled USB debugging and tried choosing both "disk drive" and "charge only" on the phone, yet it never shows. Using windows 7.
Not sure: I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, with an HTC Desire running a recent-ish CM6 nightly build, and I've had no issues with my Desire showing up in Droid Explorer. What ROM are you running? And what are the PID and UID showing for your Desire in your device manager? Details on how to find these are here.

This said, I don't use Droid Explorer much; it's just a mishmash of Android programs with a file explorer that uses adb commands, as far as I can tell.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
Well, i've been a few days with CM 6.1 stable now on my GSM Desire and I'm not missing sense too much. I kinda miss the hi res contact photos, and the stock message sort of sucks (but i can replace that easy enough). I also don't like the stock camera, I much preferred senses app. Are the pictures taken smaller, too? Sense had the full screen open, or I don't know if that's just me being stupid.

Biggest beef - Juice Defender switches the APN off and is unable to switch it back on again, requiring a reboot. A real shame, I had enjoyed getting better battery life (my office is in a dead signal zone so it wastes a lot of battery searching). But I have seen others with this problem and logged it at the JD website so I expect it may be addressed in future. I may try Fresh or Defrost out soon, just to get a feel for different ROMs.

I don't really regret rooting and flashing, but it does add another level of things to think about with the phone, which is enjoyable and in the long run will probably work out better.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
How do you get passed the Google Account login without signing in and without being rooted? The guy that gives me phones to root and install Wireless Tether forgot to give me a SIM card.

All I need to do is get passed the login screen, root, and install WT. What can I do?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I kinda want to go back to stock on my EVO. I almost unrooted this thing but was to lazy to bother.

EDIT: Found some ROM called "Stock Turbo", I might go to that. Hoping DC4.0 happens sometime soon.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 15, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do refurbished Sprint Evos need to use the modern day manual root if the refurbish was post november but the original manufacture date was pre november? Or can I use unrevoked despite the refurb date? How do I tell the manufacture date? There's a sticker saying VTO Dec 03 2010, which i assume is the refurb date.

edit- Put the new refurbished phone and my old phone into boot recovery mode. Both have all the same software versions, date is Aug 19 2010.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 15, 2010

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How many developers are on board with the MyTouch4G as compared to the Desire Z/G2? I know the 4G is a bit more powerful so I would've thought that there'd be a bigger scene but it doesn't seem like there's much interest in it.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Eej posted:

How many developers are on board with the MyTouch4G as compared to the Desire Z/G2? I know the 4G is a bit more powerful so I would've thought that there'd be a bigger scene but it doesn't seem like there's much interest in it.

There are only two MT4G roms as of now, one's a stripped stock rom and the other a Sense port. One Cyanogenmod/TeamDouche dude is working on a CM port, but that's about it so far. If you want aftermarket support definitely go for the G2

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Eej posted:

The MT4G will get stuff, but it definitely won't be as quick as the G2 in terms of getting stuff (CM6.) For now, your best option would be to run with a stock ROM and root.

edit: The MT4G development sounds like the Slide one before CM6. There was a broken CM5 port and some ROMs based off of the stock Sense ROM.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 15, 2010

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

yamdankee posted:

How do you get passed the Google Account login without signing in and without being rooted? The guy that gives me phones to root and install Wireless Tether forgot to give me a SIM card.

All I need to do is get passed the login screen, root, and install WT. What can I do?

Tap the corners of the screen in order, starting top left, when you see the big green Android on first boot.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is it possible to run the HTC-provided email application on a non-Sense ROM? I have been having issues with some of the aftermarket Sense-based ROMs and installed CM, but the stock email (not gmail) application is awful.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tried out MIUI again on the EVO. While I love somethings about it, I just can't get away from Cyanogenmod. Guess I'm back on CM until Damageless gets around to finishing DC 4.0 (if ever).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Reposting from the App thread:

I posted:

I tried to delete Gmail with Titanium Backup and now it's in a seemingly endless loop when my phone boots up where it shows the unpacking picture with the droid and the progress bar loads to about a quarter and resets and does it again. I can't boot into recovery either, it keeps going right to this at startup. Tell me I can fix this

Anybody have any experience with this? I can't get into anything during boot including the bootloader, it always starts right into this loading screen thing. Kind of nervous, I'm worried that I finally managed to brick my phone :ohdear:

Edit: I'm running CM 6.1 on a CDMA Hero by the way

Edit 2: If I hit the power button while the progress bar is starting it says

ClockworkMod Recovery v.2.5.0.1
Finding update package...
Opening update package..
Verifying update package..
Installing update..
(then it restarts)

explosivo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 15, 2010

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Got my Droid X rooted and running on Metro PCS (got some shady dude in east Oakland to set that up for me since I couldn't figure it out myself). Sucks that running a custom ROM is out of the question, hopefully the Android community figures out an exploit sometime soon.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Metal Avenger posted:

Got my Droid X rooted and running on Metro PCS (got some shady dude in east Oakland to set that up for me since I couldn't figure it out myself). Sucks that running a custom ROM is out of the question, hopefully the Android community figures out an exploit sometime soon.
I'm curious -- why do you want to run a custom ROM? I mean, what benefit(s) are you looking for?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

The Metal Avenger posted:

There are "ROMs" you can put on, but they're more like themes. The only thing that's really locked out are bootloader and kernel changes. I think some of the ROMs do kernel modifications at runtime, too, which is how you're able to overclock and such. What system version and Android version does your phone show?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

explosivo posted:

Anybody have any experience with this? I can't get into anything during boot including the bootloader, it always starts right into this loading screen thing. Kind of nervous, I'm worried that I finally managed to brick my phone :ohdear:

Opening update package..
Installing update..
(then it restarts)

I'm not familiar with the Hero, but why is your phone booting directly into recovery. Do you still have access to the bootloader? If so, you may be able to fastboot and reflash recovery.

Also, some of the things I read indicated that apps2sd can cause issues on the Hero. Have you tried booting with your sd card removed?

Finally, I found this post that some folks were using to fix their heros, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=4467471&postcount=13 . It looks like it will install a stock rooted image on your phone, and looks to be a last resort of sorts.

I feel bad because I'm the one that gave you the advice that started you on all this... I would never imagine that uninstalling gmail would cause these kind of issues though. I've done the exact same thing at least five times on my phone (even more than that if you include facebook uninstalls and reinstalls).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Skeezy posted:

Tried out MIUI again on the EVO. While I love somethings about it, I just can't get away from Cyanogenmod. Guess I'm back on CM until Damageless gets around to finishing DC 4.0 (if ever).

I like CM but I can't get as good battery life out of it as stock :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I like CM but I can't get as good battery life out of it as stock :(

I am at 2d 2h 30m with Fresh (EVO) and my extended battery right now. 43% remaining. The difference in battery life since I moved to an area with good Sprint coverage is night and day. I'm pretty sure I can hit 3 days now with average (for me) usage.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

I am at 2d 2h 30m with Fresh (EVO) and my extended battery right now. 43% remaining. The difference in battery life since I moved to an area with good Sprint coverage is night and day. I'm pretty sure I can hit 3 days now with average (for me) usage.

Question about Fresh, is there a way to get the original rosie on it? I don't really like Espresso or whatever its called.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 15, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

explosivo posted:

Opening update package..
Installing update..
(then it restarts)

See if you can get into the recovery console by plugging into your computer, and running adb reboot recovery, and try to wipe/flash from there.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

brc64 posted:

I am guessing you don't use your phone very often? Do you play games on your phone (Angry Birds?), What is your monthly data/txt usage? I swear I can get maybe 15 hours or more out of my phone with fresh and extended battery.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Neurophonic posted:

Tap the corners of the screen in order, starting top left, when you see the big green Android on first boot.

That doesn't seem to be working =\

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

fyallm posted:

I am guessing you don't use your phone very often? Do you play games on your phone (Angry Birds?), What is your monthly data/txt usage? I swear I can get maybe 15 hours or more out of my phone with fresh and extended battery.

Well, here are my current battery stats:

Cell standby - 26% (Time on: 2d 4h 17m 12s; Time without a signal: 1%)
Wi-Fi - 27% (Time on: 2d 3h 14m 48s) (This one helps a lot)
Phone idle - 26% (Time on: 2d 1h 12m 16s)
Android System - 9% (CPU total: 33m 53s; CPU foreground: 1m 10s)
Maps - 6% (CPU total: 11m 43s; CPU foreground: 44s; GPS: 15m 13s)
Display - 3% (Time on: 3h 4m 57s)
Voice calls - 3% (Time on: 26m 5s)

I really don't care much for Angry Birds, but I fire up Fruit Ninja occasionally when I'm bored or waiting for something. Most of my application usage is WordFeud and Facebook (probably my two most used apps). I don't have a lot of voice calls, as seen by <30 minutes in the past two days). I probably send and receive about 20 texts a day, on average.

I'm a light user, for sure. But back when I lived in an area with awful coverage, this same usage (even including the wifi) would give me about half as much battery life with this battery.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

yamdankee posted:

I believe you're supposed to tap the corners on the screen that forces you to sign in, not during bootup.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

yamdankee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5XjF6sPef4

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I swear I'm doing exactly that and it's still not working.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Lewk posted:

Are the pictures taken smaller, too? Sense had the full screen open, or I don't know if that's just me being stupid.

Sense has the "widescreen" resolutions but you you can achieve the exact same thing by taking a regular 5M picture and cropping it.

The crappy low-res contact pictures really piss me off. I wish someone would do something about them. I know uploading a picture to Google contacts is a solution but I want it to sync with Facebook. Is that really so much to ask?

Corez
Dec 3, 2007

chippy posted:

Sense has the "widescreen" resolutions but you you can achieve the exact same thing by taking a regular 5M picture and cropping it.

The crappy low-res contact pictures really piss me off. I wish someone would do something about them. I know uploading a picture to Google contacts is a solution but I want it to sync with Facebook. Is that really so much to ask?

This is driving me crazy as well. Especially after coming from the crystal clear, beautiful photos that the 'Facebook for HTC Sense' integration provided me before I rooted & flashed CM6. That combined with the pretty lackluster battery life has me questioning whether CM6 is worth it at the moment.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I try running the AdFree app from the OP, but it either says that it failed, or it freezes and reboots my phone. I am not AdFree. Is there a working alternative?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I try running the AdFree app from the OP, but it either says that it failed, or it freezes and reboots my phone. I am not AdFree. Is there a working alternative?

are you running an HTC device that is rooted but still has locked NAND? I had that problem on my Incredible until Unrevoked Forever came out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

teamdest posted:

are you running an HTC device that is rooted but still has locked NAND? I had that problem on my Incredible until Unrevoked Forever came out.

I have an HTC Evo with Unrevoked 3. I guess I need more root?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

brc64 posted:

Well, here are my current battery stats:

Cell standby - 26% (Time on: 2d 4h 17m 12s; Time without a signal: 1%)
Wi-Fi - 27% (Time on: 2d 3h 14m 48s) (This one helps a lot)
Phone idle - 26% (Time on: 2d 1h 12m 16s)
Android System - 9% (CPU total: 33m 53s; CPU foreground: 1m 10s)
Maps - 6% (CPU total: 11m 43s; CPU foreground: 44s; GPS: 15m 13s)
Display - 3% (Time on: 3h 4m 57s)
Voice calls - 3% (Time on: 26m 5s)

I really don't care much for Angry Birds, but I fire up Fruit Ninja occasionally when I'm bored or waiting for something. Most of my application usage is WordFeud and Facebook (probably my two most used apps). I don't have a lot of voice calls, as seen by <30 minutes in the past two days). I probably send and receive about 20 texts a day, on average.

I'm a light user, for sure. But back when I lived in an area with awful coverage, this same usage (even including the wifi) would give me about half as much battery life with this battery.

Ah ok this makes sense. I am never on wi-fi and I average 88 texts a day and average 88,838KB a day worth of data, but that number is scewed because of tethering lately. Also I have SMSPopup which I swear is killing my battery and takes whatever the usage that messaging takes up and doubles it.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

FogHelmut posted:

I think you might need S-OFF for adfree to work.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

FogHelmut posted:

I downloaded an updated hosts using the AdFree app on my Evo, then adbed it into place using these instructions here.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Does anyone have any experience in editing the carrier text on their phone? I tried following the instructions here and, while I successfully managed to change the carrier text, upon boot, I'm greeted by a non-stop barrage of Force Closes for anything and everything running. Any ideas as to what I'm borking?

Droid X, ZapX Bazinga 2.3 (2.2.1)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

deong posted:

See if you can get into the recovery console by plugging into your computer, and running adb reboot recovery, and try to wipe/flash from there.

The device shows up weird on the list and none of the commands seem to work, this is what it looks like

Edit: That command reboots it and just goes back to the loading screen thing, by the way

Only registered members can see post attachments!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 16, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

explosivo posted:

The device shows up weird on the list and none of the commands seem to work, this is what it looks like

Edit: That command reboots it and just goes back to the loading screen thing, by the way

# means you're already root. You don't need to su if you see a # prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Casao posted:

# means you're already root. You don't need to su if you see a # prompt.

i went back and was able to access my SD card and push the HEROIMG.zip on there, but rebooting with volume down and power doesn't work either. I can't get around this installation thing. I even tried pushing the file for the Clockworkmod update onto the SDcard but it still keeps restarting the install progress bar indefinitely