Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Does anyone know of an active rescue in the NJ area for rats? One of my friends is interested in getting a pair of cats and I am making him read this thread and trying to keep him from buying them from Petco if at all possible. All the ones I can find on google haven't been updated in 3 years and their forums are full of spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Does anyone know of an active rescue in the NJ area for rats? One of my friends is interested in getting a pair of cats and I am making him read this thread and trying to keep him from buying them from Petco if at all possible. All the ones I can find on google haven't been updated in 3 years and their forums are full of spam.

I don't post in the rat thread much, but I actually got my rats from a local Petco. I always held the store ones when I went there for dog food or fish stuffs- then one time the girl mentioned they had three rats that had been relinquished for adoption they were relinquished with a large cage (petco rat manor, to be exact) an awesome metal 12" wheel and tons of toys and harnesses and healthy lab blocks and bowls and books and treats. Granted, I feel that I was very lucky, point of the matter is don't immediately write off petstore as a place to adopt small animals, there aren't really any rat rescues in the area. I got all of that for a 15 dollar donation.

From Left to right we have The Doctor (neutered male agouti berkshire male), Donna (masked female), and Noble (hooded cream dumbo)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

where in nj? i live in philadelphia and ive gotten my rats from a camden shelter, rat chick rescue in philly, and then just accident babies off craigslist :3:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

quote:

From Left to right we have The Doctor (neutered male agouti berkshire male), Donna (masked female), and Noble (hooded cream dumbo)

:stare: Holy moley, Donna is the prettiest rat I think I've ever seen!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

eig posted:

where in nj? i live in philadelphia and ive gotten my rats from a camden shelter, rat chick rescue in philly, and then just accident babies off craigslist :3:

We are around New Brunswick but that is probably close enough. I will let him know. Any contact info you can recommend?

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

We are around New Brunswick but that is probably close enough. I will let him know. Any contact info you can recommend?

I'm from right by New Brunswick! :-) Have you checked petfinder? Other wise you can send an application to Rat Chick Rescue and see what ratties the foster parents have. :-) Their list on petfinder isn't really updated often enough. :-(

edit oops forgot a link! http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

and heres some more resources ~ http://effyeahrats.tumblr.com/us

eig fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 14, 2010

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

DenialTwist posted:

They are so cute! I've never seen a mask like that :3:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Rat pictures!!

Click here for the full 480x720 image.

Click here for the full 480x720 image.

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

The one on the left with the patchier spots (variegated?) is Squiggles; the other is Amelie :3: and they are both adorable.

mareep fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 14, 2010

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

redjenova posted:

The one on the left with the patchier spots (variegated?) is Squiggles;

Broken (unstandard) Hooded. Cute! :3:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Broken (unstandard) Hooded. Cute! :3:

Thanks! I can tell them apart more by personality now but at first I could only say, "Amelie is that one with like, the more, stripe type thing... and Squiggles is all spotty, see?" I can't wait to zazz up the cage a bit more. The hammock it came with was kinda crappy but all they've done to it so far is chew off one of the supports!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Rat pictures from my Instagram:

This is how I sleep

Click here for the full 612x612 image.

Wrinkles got her Christmas Beard in!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

They are so cute! I've never seen a mask like that :3:

It's a very correct mask. :3: If she's got no other markings, then her markings are definitely show quality.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

:stare: Holy moley, Donna is the prettiest rat I think I've ever seen!

That is because she is a ferret. :stoat:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Just saw my patched male mating with my mink female like a zillion times for like 30 minutes straight. Finally. Haven't seen him mate with the black female but females usually sync their heats and she was very interested in what was going on so I'm pretty sure they'll mate in the next few hours if they haven't already before I was watching.

Expecting a few VERY scantily marked HW's from these litters. If I get an actual BEW I well be ecstatic, but if not a brother/sister (or half brother/sister) pairing from these next litters should do it. :3:

Will post baby pics in 3ish weeks! :iamafag:

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Superconsndar posted:

It's a very correct mask. :3: If she's got no other markings, then her markings are definitely show quality.

I've actually been very curious about this in this as like I said someone just dumped the three of them off at a Petco, but obviously cared for them very much as the male was neutered and they clearly not your average pet store rats. But I don't think her mask is entirely correct as she has a small black patch behind her ear.

I'll just leave these here for science (lookit that fat butt) :3:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DenialTwist posted:

Hate to say it but I always really love those 'I'm driving the dog!' pictures. And that mask just gives her the perfect look on her face about it, too. She looks so sneaky about it. :3:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm Joan and this is how I sleep

Xoobee
Mar 25, 2005

The Amazing Rataroo!
I love rats but I can't have any. :( They seem to be the sole animal I'm allergic to. It doesn't make any sense to me. I've owned many domestic animals, various rodents in cages, cats, dogs, etc. I've owned cats for years. I had my allergy testing done even and nothing came up. Why am I allergic to rats??

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
That seems odd. Sure you weren't allergic to whatever bedding they were on? (The rats you've previously had contact with, I mean)
What happens when you touch a rat?

edit: Joan is a chill rat ^_^ Cool picture.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

That seems odd. Sure you weren't allergic to whatever bedding they were on? (The rats you've previously had contact with, I mean)

I've been allergic to rats for as long as I remember. I break out in itchy hives wherever they touch me and they make my eyes water. I've always just kinda dealt with it.

I'm also mildly allergic to cats, and double coated dogs though. I can pet a cat/double coated dog, but if I'm stuck indoors with one my eyes will perpetually water and my nose and throat will get all scratchy and weird.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Superconsndar posted:

I've been allergic to rats for as long as I remember. I break out in itchy hives wherever they touch me and they make my eyes water. I've always just kinda dealt with it.

Yep same here, except I didn't notice until I got them. I get very sneezy sometimes too so I take antihistamines to help with it. I don't have a bad reaction every single time I handle them, which is a bit weird. I just time when I handle them so my reaction is as limited as possible and they still get good quality time with me.

I've had the same reaction before with a cat and this is after a lifetime of never being affected by pet hair. I dunno if I'm still allergic to cats though because I haven't had contact with any for years. :shobon:

But yeah, you can be allergic to rats and still have no real problems keeping them as pets as long as you don't mind being a bit sniffly sometimes and taking antihistamines.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
It snowed today so we took a plastic box and filled it with snow and buried treats in it.

Mom, this snowbox is too cold.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It snowed here today, so for the first time we put the rats into

THE SNOW BOX

Click here for the full 800x581 image.

EDIT: drat it squidtarts fine I'll get the ones off my stupid iPhone filter thing

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 17, 2010

Xoobee
Mar 25, 2005

The Amazing Rataroo!

Big Bug Hug posted:

No I'm pretty sure it isn't the bedding. I've been allergic to rats in various beddings - pine, aspen, carefresh, etc. I volunteer for the local SPCA off and on - not regularly due to various things, and handle rats there sometimes. I can take about 20 minutes and I start getting horribly itchy eyes and skin, and have to put them back. :( I love handling them too, they can be so cuddly. I can't resist at the SPCA and manage there for short periods but I don't think I could own one again. :( Sigh.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I got a new boy 4 days ago, a 7 week old dumbo (getting him a friend in about a week) and he's all over the place personality wise! I dunno if he's suddenly mad at me or something. Yesterday and today we were great. He's very socialized and has been learning his name already and learning to come to the cage door for a treat. We've already been wrestling in the cage and he gets SO excited! We had shoulder time today like yesterday and he was finally exploring and everything was fine but when I put him back in his cage suddenly we're back to square one. He won't leave his house and when I sit by his cage trying to coax him out he sees me and starts building a "wall" out of his bedding to block the doorway. I haven't been forcing him to do anything except maybe come out but only when he's out of his little house.. I don't know what I could have done wrong but I feel like we've gone backwards or something. I know these things take time but he was so playful and excited earlier today.

I should mention I have 3 cats. They are used to rats and are mildly curious but that is all. Do you think they might be making him act like this? =(

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
I've heard with new young rats some people don't give them anywhere to hide for the first wee while because it encourages them to not be nervous and forces them to be more social - if they don't have the option of hiding from you they'll adjust to being handled etc a lot quicker. Maybe something to consider?

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Chakattack! posted:

I've heard with new young rats some people don't give them anywhere to hide for the first wee while because it encourages them to not be nervous and forces them to be more social - if they don't have the option of hiding from you they'll adjust to being handled etc a lot quicker. Maybe something to consider?

really? I've never read anything like that before. I'd feel bad not giving him his safe spot but has this worked for others in the past?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Offer him treats EVERY time you walk by. Open the door and offer a treat at the box he's hiding in. Then try get him to come out to give him the treats. Soon he'll be running up to the door every time you approach. At least say hi to him every time you see him. Give it a little time and I guarantee he'll come out of his shell. :)

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
I can't say from experience, as I've not had nervous/hidey ratties, but waiting for my girls to arrive I've been reading nearly everything posted on the fancy-rat.co.uk forums and when this situation comes up that always seems to be the reccomendation, so I thought I'd pass it on. :)

The logic behind it seems to be that if you do have nervous young rats and they can hide instead of learning to deal with scary new situations, then they will just choose to hide. Not allowing them the option might seem a bit mean but long-term they will be happier and more confident quicker, because they're forced to face up to situations they would usually avoid.

It's also reccomended that they still have comfy warm places to sleep (hammocks!), just nowhere they can hide from you.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Big Bug Hug posted:

Offer him treats EVERY time you walk by. Open the door and offer a treat at the box he's hiding in. Then try get him to come out to give him the treats. Soon he'll be running up to the door every time you approach. At least say hi to him every time you see him. Give it a little time and I guarantee he'll come out of his shell. :)

Pretty much this. When I got my pair they were both pretty skittish, and before long every time I opened the cage door, this is what greeted me.

:3:

I miss those guys. I made the mistake of mentioning I used to have pet rats to my father-in-law a couple of days ago, and he proceeded to tell me about the pregnant female rat he poisoned in his woodshed :psyduck:

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

DenialTwist posted:

/rat with predator pics/

Grrr. Totally not fair. We recently adopted a couple of kitten sisters, now 10 weeks old. Of my 3 rat girls, the eldest (nearly 3 years old, woohoo!) pretty much ignores the kittens and continues prancing about the house (under supervision) like she owns it, as she always does when out of her cage. Of the two ~6 month ones, one is terrified of them and the other one is just "eh." Does anyone have any tricks to acclimating rats to dogs and/or cats? I still intend to supervise them whenever they are ranging, but given that I'll probably have at least a dozen more rats over the course of the felines' lifetimes, it'd be nice to get them all to a point of detente.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
With cats and rats it just takes time I think. When I first got my cat one of my rats was terrified of him but after a while of having his smell around the house I think he realised the kitten didnt fall into predator category, and was fine after that. My other two rats were all "hi new friend!" straight away. The cat is more wary of them than they are of him. :)

But I digress. How long have you had the kittens? I can't really think of anything except time and gentle exposure to each other.

RazorBunny posted:

Pretty much this. When I got my pair they were both pretty skittish, and before long every time I opened the cage door, this is what greeted me.
Haha. One of mine does that - takes the treat and drops it at his feet and looks up as though he didn't get one. Its so cute I can't help but sometimes give him another one.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Yay progress! Taking the house away really helped! we had lots of fun last night under our "bonding scarf" hehe. He's still a little nervous being outside the cage but I got him to play with a digging box today! He was so funny, he was TERRIFIED of stepping on the soil until he realized his favorite treat was hidden within. I got a video of all his cuteness. :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18a70xwjx8

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Candy Dawn posted:

Yay progress! Taking the house away really helped! we had lots of fun last night under our "bonding scarf" hehe. He's still a little nervous being outside the cage but I got him to play with a digging box today! He was so funny, he was TERRIFIED of stepping on the soil until he realized his favorite treat was hidden within. I got a video of all his cuteness. :3:

He is sooo cute :3:

Any tips on litter training? Or can I expect them to stop pooping outside the cage as much as they get more used to the place? A little isn't so bad, I'd just like them to be able to hang out on my bed without getting it too... poopy v:shobon:v I haven't had them for very long and due to some really idiotic maintenance issues their first few days here were probably very stressful and confusing... although they seem very content and not too skittish at all. What kind of litter would you use for that anyway?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Ours don't poop outside the cage. It took them like two days to realize that poop goes in the poop box, and now that's really the only place they poop. Wrinkles still poops on the shelves other than the poop box sometimes, but we got her after we got the other two and I also think she just has an attitude. :c00lbert: She does poop in the box, I've seen her.

Indigestable
Jul 26, 2007
And immoveable.
One of my rat minions has learned to attack my boyfriend's face on command :3: Her running down the wrong arm was my fault; the camera was in her way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLLo4G0wM5o

I find it way too amusing.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
^^^^^ :lol:

Candy Dawn posted:

Omg, how cute. I never thought of a digging box, good idea! I sometimes let one of mine run around in the pot plants outside and I know he likes to dig. The other two will be way too lazy. They do enjoy pea fishing though(cause food is involved).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Big Bug Hug posted:

Haha. One of mine does that - takes the treat and drops it at his feet and looks up as though he didn't get one. Its so cute I can't help but sometimes give him another one.

Mine don't even usually bother to drop it. They'll look up at me begging for more, still with a mouthful of treat.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah I think at this point all three of ours have figured how to get one piece of food in their mouth and one in their paws and still run away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Ha! My eldest does that, the greedy old lady. It's funny to watch her go bipedal for a bit just for the extra food.