Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I think I stole a joke but I can't remember where it's from. The joke is basically you're on the phone with someone and "I knew it was him because he spoke [language], but I don't speak [language]." Is this from Seinfeld or Futurama or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Does anyone know where I can buy "The Cinematic Orchestra 'Man With A Movie Camera'" on DVD? I can't find it anywhere and I have been searching literally for years.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy "The Cinematic Orchestra 'Man With A Movie Camera'" on DVD? I can't find it anywhere and I have been searching literally for years.

Seriously? It's the first result on Amazon.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Slashie posted:

Seriously? It's the first result on Amazon.

Seriously? Maybe if you would learn how to read you would see that is the original version, so next time you want to try to be a snarky rear end in a top hat you should probably get your poo poo straight first.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Seriously? Maybe if you would learn how to read you would see that is the original version, so next time you want to try to be a snarky rear end in a top hat you should probably get your poo poo straight first.

Well maybe you could have specified that wasn't what you wanted, pissy-pants. You can do your own drat googling now, good luck.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Slashie posted:

Well maybe you could have specified that wasn't what you wanted, pissy-pants. You can do your own drat googling now, good luck.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah rear end in a top hat, and typing exactly that into Amazon gives you the result I linked. Googling that only brings up references to the original work. If there's some derivative work you're looking for instead, you need better keywords and a less hysterical personality.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Slashie posted:

Yeah rear end in a top hat, and typing exactly that into Amazon gives you the result I linked. Googling that only brings up references to the original work. If there's some derivative work you're looking for instead, you need better keywords and a less hysterical personality.

Must be some bizarro Internet you are using because thats not what comes up when I copy and paste exactly what I typed into Amazon or Google. I have a feeling that will be the case for anyone else who does the same.

My question still stands.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Must be some bizarro Internet you are using because thats not what comes up when I copy and paste exactly what I typed into Amazon or Google. I have a feeling that will be the case for anyone else who does the same.

My question still stands.

And I'm sure people will be falling all over themselves to help such a gracious and communicative person. Please to note that not once during this half-page temper-tantrum of yours did you deign to clarify what you're looking for. Other people are real, you know. We don't all live in your spergiverse where we can read your mind.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Any way to purchase it through Amazon UK, Bojanglesworth? T.C.O. listings

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Bojanglesworth posted:

If you have a European friend, Amazon.co.uk have it used from £24.99 which is $40. The seller won't ship to the Americas though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00008PRRV/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Really tempted to buy it myself if you're not going to.

e: f,b

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Arriviste posted:

Any way to purchase it through Amazon UK, Bojanglesworth? T.C.O. listings

The one they sell there is PAL and I am pretty sure I need NTSC. Unless there is a way to copy to my computer then convert but i'm not really sure how PAL/NTSC works. Any insight?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Bojanglesworth posted:

The one they sell there is PAL and I am pretty sure I need NTSC. Unless there is a way to copy to my computer then convert but i'm not really sure how PAL/NTSC works. Any insight?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002ZGW9DI/ref=sr_1_5_olp?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292379034&sr=1-5&condition=new

The NTSC version

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

See if you click on that link at first it says just "Man with a Movie Camera" but after a few clicks it says "Cinematic Orchestra" after the title. Not that I don't enjoy a silent movie from 1929, but I could get that one around here for like $5 so I want to try to avoid paying all that extra money and dealing with shipping just to end up with the wrong one & I can't find a spot to contact the seller.

I swear I am not retarded, and I apologize for being so difficult. Now you guys see why I am having such a hard time finding this DVD?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Any of these work? I'm having a hard time parsing exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Man...loc=01&id=23122
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sea...ra/Dziga-Vertov
http://www.thegiantpeach.com/the-cinematic-orchestra-man-with-a-movie-camera-re-issue-dvd.aspx

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I think this is what you're after?

(Initially I assumed the all-region encoding listed on Amazon U.K. meant that it would work anywhere, despite being PAL.)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

BorderPatrol posted:

Any of these work? I'm having a hard time parsing exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.thegiantpeach.com/the-cinematic-orchestra-man-with-a-movie-camera-re-issue-dvd.aspx

This is it!! Thank you!!!!

Arriviste posted:

I think this is what you're after?

(Initially I assumed the all-region encoding listed on Amazon U.K. meant that it would work anywhere, despite being PAL.)

Exactly!! You see how you can't buy it on this page though, only the soundtrack in mp3.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Whew! Glad you got it sorted. Now somebody fetch me a CD of Sounds from True Stories. :colbert:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Arriviste posted:

Whew! Glad you got it sorted. Now somebody fetch me a CD of Sounds from True Stories. :colbert:

Is this it:

1. "Cocktail Desperado" – performed by Terry Allen and The Panhandle Mystery Band (2:59)
2. "Road Song" – performed by Meredith Monk (3:36)
3. "Freeway Son" – performed by David Byrne (3:02)
4. "Brownie's Theme" – performed by David Byrne (2:27)
5 "Mall Muzak" – performed by Carl Finch (5:37)
5. A. "Building a Highway"
6. B. "Puppy Polka"
7. C. "Party Girls"
8. "Dinner Music" – performed by Kronos Quartet (3:31)
9. "Disco Hits!" – performed by David Byrne (2:02)
10. "City of Steel" – performed by Talking Heads (3:34)
11. "Love Theme from True Stories" – performed by David Byrne (1:28)
12. "Festa para um rei negro" – performed by Banda Eclipse (2:19)
13. "Buster's Theme" – performed by Carl Finch (2:42)
14. "Soy de Tejas" – performed by Steve Jordan (2:36)
13. "I ♥ Metal Buildings" – performed by David Byrne (2:16)
14. "Glass Operator" – performed by David Byrne (2:31)

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I've never had any dental problems in my entire life. But today my tongue was poking around the last of my teeth that actually made it above the gumline and just above the gumline there's a huge loving hole. Like, half the tooth isn't there. It doesn't really hurt or anything (although I have been getting minor headaches lately), but it's pretty drat gross. I qualify for dental insurance January 1st, so I'm wondering how this is going to go down. I've never had any dental work done. Will they pull it or what, and how much does this suck on a scale of 1 to 10?

Also, is there anything I should do about it in the meantime to keep it from getting infected or something? I know I should be getting to a dentist way before next month, but I live in America so it's either insurance or going bankrupt to fix this.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Is this it:

1. "Cocktail Desperado" – performed by Terry Allen and The Panhandle Mystery Band (2:59)
2. "Road Song" – performed by Meredith Monk (3:36)
3. "Freeway Son" – performed by David Byrne (3:02)
4. "Brownie's Theme" – performed by David Byrne (2:27)
5 "Mall Muzak" – performed by Carl Finch (5:37)
5. A. "Building a Highway"
6. B. "Puppy Polka"
7. C. "Party Girls"
8. "Dinner Music" – performed by Kronos Quartet (3:31)
9. "Disco Hits!" – performed by David Byrne (2:02)
10. "City of Steel" – performed by Talking Heads (3:34)
11. "Love Theme from True Stories" – performed by David Byrne (1:28)
12. "Festa para um rei negro" – performed by Banda Eclipse (2:19)
13. "Buster's Theme" – performed by Carl Finch (2:42)
14. "Soy de Tejas" – performed by Steve Jordan (2:36)
13. "I ♥ Metal Buildings" – performed by David Byrne (2:16)
14. "Glass Operator" – performed by David Byrne (2:31)

That’s it. From what I understand, label disputes stopped it from ever making it to CD release. I have it on cassette and vinyl that I rescued from discount bins back in the day. I also have it in my head. I no longer have a turntable or a cassette deck (except the tape-eating monster in my pickup) and can't find anyone locally to convert them for me. Le sigh.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've never had any dental problems in my entire life. But today my tongue was poking around the last of my teeth that actually made it above the gumline and just above the gumline there's a huge loving hole. Like, half the tooth isn't there. It doesn't really hurt or anything (although I have been getting minor headaches lately), but it's pretty drat gross. I qualify for dental insurance January 1st, so I'm wondering how this is going to go down. I've never had any dental work done. Will they pull it or what, and how much does this suck on a scale of 1 to 10?

Also, is there anything I should do about it in the meantime to keep it from getting infected or something? I know I should be getting to a dentist way before next month, but I live in America so it's either insurance or going bankrupt to fix this.

Is it just a half-impacted wisdom tooth? I can't really tell from your description. It might just finish growing in on its own. I'm 21 and my wisdom teeth are about halfway through right now. Two of them are just in the state you described--a hole in the gum where only a piece of the tooth pokes out and otherwise it feels like nothing's there.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Arriviste posted:

That’s it. From what I understand, label disputes stopped it from ever making it to CD release. I have it on cassette and vinyl that I rescued from discount bins back in the day. I also have it in my head. I no longer have a turntable or a cassette deck (except the tape-eating monster in my pickup) and can't find anyone locally to convert them for me. Le sigh.

PM me.

Email me at the gmail. Sublimejoe

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Any reasons why certain websites won't load on my computer at work? For example, Facebook is just a blank page. No error, not "couldn't load" browser messages, etc. Just pure white.

It's not being blocked by our firewall because I see an actual message when sites are being blocked.

Edit: It seems to happen with all browsers.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 15, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

chachu posted:

Is it just a half-impacted wisdom tooth? I can't really tell from your description. It might just finish growing in on its own. I'm 21 and my wisdom teeth are about halfway through right now. Two of them are just in the state you described--a hole in the gum where only a piece of the tooth pokes out and otherwise it feels like nothing's there.

That might be it. I don't know jack poo poo about dentistry other than I brush my teeth and they seem to do pretty well. It's the very last molar in the upper row, and after Googling it for a bit you might be right. It could be that the wisdom tooth is pushing the tooth in question too far up, exposing the underside. If that's the case, I'm probably going to have to get the bastard removed. Oh god, I've heard so many horror stories about that poo poo.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

That might be it. I don't know jack poo poo about dentistry other than I brush my teeth and they seem to do pretty well. It's the very last molar in the upper row, and after Googling it for a bit you might be right. It could be that the wisdom tooth is pushing the tooth in question too far up, exposing the underside. If that's the case, I'm probably going to have to get the bastard removed. Oh god, I've heard so many horror stories about that poo poo.

Ehh, it sounds nasty, but it's a pretty routine surgery. I'm sure it'll be unpleasant, but probably not a horror story. I'm getting mine out once they're not impacted, and I'm just gonna look at it as a way to take some Vicodin and lay on the couch for a day. v:)v

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Any reasons why certain websites won't load on my computer at work? For example, Facebook is just a blank page. No error, not "couldn't load" browser messages, etc. Just pure white.

It's not being blocked by our firewall because I see an actual message when sites are being blocked.

Edit: It seems to happen with all browsers.

You really couldn't be any more vague in your problem.

Make a thread in HoTS so someone can troubleshoot it with you.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I'm citing something from within a reader, specifically a criminology book that contains many criminology journal articles, how do I do this? Do I just cite the journal article, or do I cite the journal article as something within the book?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Can it be made an unofficial rule that "why did you not google it, I googled it and i found it" is not a legitimate response?

If one wants to help, and has gone to the trouble to do the google, just post the result. If you think it is stupid, just don't help. Eveytime someone tries to score internet points by saying "I found it it in google", we get the witty banter of "did too" "did not" for a page or so. And the stupid question tends to be from someone who is not a thread regular, so it is not as if you are protecting the thread from stupid questions. (not that a thread titled "stupid questions" even needs protection from stupid questions.)

Google is not nearly as effective now as it was before they started selling ad-sense ads anyway, so it no longer the case that google will even find stuff easily. So many companies are in business simply to game google search results to drive traffic to their customers that google is often hilariously off.

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

teeth

I don't know if the wisdom teeth thing could be your problem, but if it is, I wouldn't worry about it. It tends to be bad when they're impacted, which usually means they haven't come through yet. If yours is stickin' out already, it's likely not impacted and the surgery will be a piece of cake.

If you're still worried it might be a cavity, this stuff can help stop it from getting any worse, according to my dentist.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Had my wisdom tooth removed last week, wasn't all that bad. In my case I had a huge gaping hole (half the tooth was missing, essentially). It was fine for most of the time but one day I started getting a persistent headache that just wouldn't let go. So by the time they took the tooth out, it was actually a relief.

I don't know if the procedure differs if it's just impacted (and not fully grown with a cavity like mine), but for me they just injected some local anesthesia and yanked it right out. Had to be careful a few days (not eat anything solid or warm for the first day etc.), but it's been fine otherwise. Didn't even really hurt at any point.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Yeah, having wisdom teeth out isn't a huge deal. It kinda sucks for a day or two, but you get all the drugs you want. I think I had Oxycontin - the stuff made me feel sick, so I stuck with ibuprofen.

VV - I was given some gas which didn't knock me out, but made me goofy as poo poo, and I blacked out immediately. Apparently I kept on insisting that I was the "main character", and that they couldn't treat me like this. :D

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravity Pike posted:

VV - I was given some gas which didn't knock me out, but made me goofy as poo poo, and I blacked out immediately. Apparently I kept on insisting that I was the "main character", and that they couldn't treat me like this. :D

There aren't any such gasses, you were also given something else in addition to the nitrous or you were in fact knocked out.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

baquerd posted:

There aren't any such gasses, you were also given something else in addition to the nitrous or you were in fact knocked out.

People react differently to different drugs. Nitrous can make people act pretty goofy.

Anyway, OMG, you can buy one of those little dental mirrors at any drug store. They should be in the section with toothbrushes and other dental junk. You should buy one of those and just look and see what's going on. If it's a wisdom tooth coming in, it's not that big of a deal. If it's a broken tooth, it could potentially be a big deal.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Daemus posted:

Had my wisdom tooth removed last week, wasn't all that bad. In my case I had a huge gaping hole (half the tooth was missing, essentially). It was fine for most of the time but one day I started getting a persistent headache that just wouldn't let go. So by the time they took the tooth out, it was actually a relief.

I don't know if the procedure differs if it's just impacted (and not fully grown with a cavity like mine), but for me they just injected some local anesthesia and yanked it right out. Had to be careful a few days (not eat anything solid or warm for the first day etc.), but it's been fine otherwise. Didn't even really hurt at any point.

If they're super impacted, they just shatter the teeth and scrape the chunks out :haw:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

kapalama posted:

Can it be made an unofficial rule that "why did you not google it, I googled it and i found it" is not a legitimate response?

If one wants to help, and has gone to the trouble to do the google, just post the result. If you think it is stupid, just don't help. Eveytime someone tries to score internet points by saying "I found it it in google", we get the witty banter of "did too" "did not" for a page or so. And the stupid question tends to be from someone who is not a thread regular, so it is not as if you are protecting the thread from stupid questions. (not that a thread titled "stupid questions" even needs protection from stupid questions.)

Google is not nearly as effective now as it was before they started selling ad-sense ads anyway, so it no longer the case that google will even find stuff easily. So many companies are in business simply to game google search results to drive traffic to their customers that google is often hilariously off.

My vote is for this. Read about ten posts up to see why I think this is a great idea.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Daemus posted:

one day I started getting a persistent headache that just wouldn't let go. So by the time they took the tooth out, it was actually a relief.

I'm actually starting to experience that right now. Oh boy, it's going to be a great Christmas this year. Thanks for the advice though, guys.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'm actually starting to experience that right now. Oh boy, it's going to be a great Christmas this year. Thanks for the advice though, guys.

I had a broken tooth that I was putting off dealing with until I started getting the undying headache. Turns out I had an exposed root/nerve ending. Some of the time, it would lay coiled in such a way that it didn't bother me. Other times, it would be exposed to air, food, whatever, and was just causing all kinds of problems. I had gotten so used to the pain that I had forgotten what it felt like to not have it. When they yanked the tooth and the anesthetic wore off, it was the most blissful sensation.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Wyatt posted:

I had a broken tooth that I was putting off dealing with until I started getting the undying headache. Turns out I had an exposed root/nerve ending. Some of the time, it would lay coiled in such a way that it didn't bother me. Other times, it would be exposed to air, food, whatever, and was just causing all kinds of problems. I had gotten so used to the pain that I had forgotten what it felt like to not have it. When they yanked the tooth and the anesthetic wore off, it was the most blissful sensation.

That's probably the exact same situation I had. The problem was, it was starting to affect my ability to sleep. Plus, the OTC painkillers I used stopped working after a while. I was originally just going in for a check up, but they squeezed me in between schedules because "you're not going to be able to stand this for much longer". After a weekend of that, they were quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
What are some really warm long johns / undershirts? I was thinking Terramar Woolskins, but I'm not sure if wool is still the top dog for this kind of thing, or if synthetic fibers have surpassed it. I'm not looking for something that will wick a lot of sweat, as I don't go running out in the cold, but just something that will keep me very warm.