Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
I'm considering visiting LA (UK goon here) again in the near future, and i'd like to read a few novels that capture something of the spirit of the place. It's vague I know but when I think about it I don't think i've ever read a novel set there. I'm not sure what this says about my taste or what. Nyeh. So yeah, Los Angeles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Rubber Biscuit posted:

I'm considering visiting LA (UK goon here) again in the near future, and i'd like to read a few novels that capture something of the spirit of the place. It's vague I know but when I think about it I don't think i've ever read a novel set there. I'm not sure what this says about my taste or what. Nyeh. So yeah, Los Angeles.

The Day of the Locust is pretty much the quintessential Hollywood story of people fleeing their old lives to pursue dreams (and failing miserably).

Their Dogs Came with Them by Helena Maria Viramontes is a great read that's a really interesting depiction of latino life in '60s LA.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

inktvis posted:

Max Havelaar is so much better than it sounds on the face of it. Even the framing story, before he gets around to Java, has one of the great characters in Dutch literature.

Talking about Dutch literature, it's about time you visited this topic.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
I'm kind of looking for a book similar to "On The Road" or "The Motorcycle Diaries" but set on a continent that's not North or South America. The thing is, I just saw the movie "Encounters at The End of The World;" and hearing this woman talk about driving the length of Africa in a garbage truck made me want to read another travel book.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Alhough I've never actually been there; and if what I've heard is true. Then Bret Easton Ellis "Less Than Zero" Should be what you're looking for.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Perhaps too wide a net to cast, but if I enjoyed Harry Potter and Narnia, and want to read more fantastical adventures spanning multiple books, is there something I should keep an eye out for?

I have already read the Northern Lights trilogy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Centipeed posted:

Perhaps too wide a net to cast, but if I enjoyed Harry Potter and Narnia, and want to read more fantastical adventures spanning multiple books, is there something I should keep an eye out for?

Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain would be a good next step.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain would be a good next step.

Thank you, this seems to fit the bill precisely. Although I suppose it's missing that element of discovering an unknown world that Harry Potter and Narnia had in droves?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Centipeed posted:

Thank you, this seems to fit the bill precisely. Although I suppose it's missing that element of discovering an unknown world that Harry Potter and Narnia had in droves?

Well, you don't know anything about Prydain!

You could also try Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, the Redwall series, or, hell, Tolkien. Start with The Hobbit.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 15, 2010

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Prydain's sort of based on medieval Wales and Welsh legend. If you know Welsh legend then you might have some sort of handle on it, but some stuff - like Gurgi - should be new.

I love those books. :3:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Centipeed posted:

how about one of the other major series that informed the likes of Harry Potter- Ursala K LeGuin's Earthsea

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

I just finished Johannes Cabal the Necromancer and Johannes Cabal the Detective. I also liked Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which is kind of similar, when I read it about a year ago. Can someone recommend me some sarcastically funny-but-not-dumb fantasy or something along those lines? Say Terry Pratchett and you lose my internet respect for copping out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm looking for some good books that give great overviews of different aspects of World War II. Particularly DDay, and the Battle of the Bulge. Western front stuff. More so strategy than first hand accounts.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

zacpol posted:

I just finished Johannes Cabal the Necromancer and Johannes Cabal the Detective. I also liked Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which is kind of similar, when I read it about a year ago. Can someone recommend me some sarcastically funny-but-not-dumb fantasy or something along those lines? Say Terry Pratchett and you lose my internet respect for copping out.

So, you liked these? They're on my reading list. I'm thinking about taking them on after I finish the book I'm on now. Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for you.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

zacpol posted:

Okay, well there goes one of my suggestions. If you haven't read any Neil Gaiman I would suggest anything by him, but specifically Stardust as it is one of his more overt fantasy stories.

I would also suggest the Promethean saga by Elizabeth Bear. They focus on Faerie mythology so if you liked Strange & Norrell they should work for you.

In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez is a fun little fantasy novel, very sarcastic and entertaining.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Where do I start with Charles Bukowski?

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
Are there any lists out there of what is considered canon for 20th-21st century literature (or like top 100 books or whatever?) I need some new stuff to read and figure that's as good a place as any to look for things.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ShutteredIn posted:

The Day of the Locust is pretty much the quintessential Hollywood story of people fleeing their old lives to pursue dreams (and failing miserably).

Their Dogs Came with Them by Helena Maria Viramontes is a great read that's a really interesting depiction of latino life in '60s LA.

You're also going to want to check out Ask the Dust by John Fante.

spouse posted:

For his prose, check out Post Office and my favorite, Ham On Rye.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Are there any lists out there of what is considered canon for 20th-21st century literature (or like top 100 books or whatever?) I need some new stuff to read and figure that's as good a place as any to look for things.

People are probably going to bitch about it, but the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die series has been updating with new editions and the 2010 version has become something fairly solid. The main problem is by 'book' they mean 'modern novel', but seeing as that's what you're after anyway it's not much of an issue.

It's not perfect, but for every Anne Rice or Paulo Coehlo they've included there's a Gombrowicz, Krasznahorkai or Cabrera Infante.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Time did a list of ALL TIME 100 Novels that is, in reality, a list of the best english-language novels of the past hundred years or so. obviously it's not all-inclusive, but there's still some good stuff on there (not to mention some nice branching-out points).

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Can anyone recommend any good biographies? I'm looking for some Christmas gifts for my Dad. I think he would be more interested in political figures, celebrities from the 50, 60 and 70s, modern explorers/adventurers etc.

Thanks

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Does your dad like Sinatra? James Kaplan's biography of him (Frank: The Voice) is getting good reviews. I haven't read the whole thing, just a couple excerpts here and there, but I liked it.

Red Haired Menace
Dec 29, 2008

I had finally found a safe way to alter the way the timeline to such a degree as to not rip a hole in time itself.

Rhaegar posted:

Can anyone recommend any good biographies? I'm looking for some Christmas gifts for my Dad. I think he would be more interested in political figures, celebrities from the 50, 60 and 70s, modern explorers/adventurers etc.

Thanks

Roger Morris' Nixon bio is pretty sweet, albiet very detailed and 900 pages. Morris was in Dick's cabinet and resigned after the invasion of Cambodia, and talks about everything up to Nixon's election as vice-president. The NYT reviewed it more favorably than Ambrose's book on the Dick.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

I posted in the chat thread but maybe this is the better place.

Has any one read Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian? Is the content suitable for young readers - specifically a sheltered 13 year old in a religious family? I was thinking of getting it for my nephew for Christmas but don't want to piss off my family by introducing inappropriate material into their conservative household. A little non-graphic violence may be O.K. but any sex whatsoever would be a deal breaker.

The Arsonist
Aug 15, 2009

What do you see?
So I want to get my girlfriend a book among other things. She's currently reading some mystery novel that was made into a lifetime movie that she borrowed from a friend. She doesn't really want something along those lines at all. She's looking for something funny, but with substance as well. I got her Slaughterhouse five last year and she loved it, if that's any sign. Info about here, she's a nurse, she's 25, she's sarcastic, she's goofy, Filipino. I have no idea if these details help, but its worth a shot.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

spouse posted:

Start with Ham on Rye, Post Office, Women or Factotum then track down some of his poetry collections if you liked the novels.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

ch1mp posted:

Has any one read Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian? Is the content suitable for young readers - specifically a sheltered 13 year old in a religious family? I was thinking of getting it for my nephew for Christmas but don't want to piss off my family by introducing inappropriate material into their conservative household. A little non-graphic violence may be O.K. but any sex whatsoever would be a deal breaker.

Its been awhile since I've read it but I don't remember there being any sex in that. However, it is extremely heavy in old world sailor jargon, so much to the extent that there is a glossary of terms in my edition. If your 13 year old reader is bright, he should be able to pick up on it if he has an interest in Napoleonic history and old world Naval battle tactics. The violence iirc was just things stating that so-and-so lost a leg, this or that crewman was killed by flying shattered oak pieces from cannon fire, etc. No graphic Blood Meridian type gore.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

ch1mp posted:

It's implied that Capt. Aubrey is having an affair with his admiral's wife, but nothing direct or even remotely graphic.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Rhaegar posted:

Thanks
Orwell by Mr. Michael Shelden is excellent. (Does Orwell count as a political figure? I think of him as such but he wasn't a politician.)

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good novel that offers some depth and introspection, maybe reminiscent of the dramatic monologue in Shelley's Frankenstein?

So far I have been recommended The Fall by Camus which I added to my xmas shopping list.

Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rhaegar posted:

Thanks

Edmund Morris's three-volume Teddy Roosevelt biography just published the final volume. The first volume, Theodore Rising, won a pulitzer, and the other two volumes (Theodore Rex and Colonel Roosevelt) are just as good, if not quite as exciting. Roosevelt did a fair bit of genuine exploration (there's a previously-un-navigated-before-Roosevelt river in Brazil named after him, for example), so he hits both those notes, though he may not be modern enough.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any good police procedurals where it isn't really about who-done-it, but the characters around the crime? I'm thinking Clockers, Lush Life, Mystic River....

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Junkenstein posted:

Any good police procedurals where it isn't really about who-done-it, but the characters around the crime? I'm thinking Clockers, Lush Life, Mystic River....

Criminal Minds is about as close as you can get to this for a TV show (unless you count The Wire which is another thing alltogehter)

When it comes to books, it sounds more like a classic noir but you'd want one where it was the police department involved instead of a private eye.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Thank you IceNiner and PatMarshall. Very helpful.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Go for the original classic cop novels by Joseph Wambaugh: The New Centurions, The Choir boys, The Black Marble the stories are excellent. Primarily they focus on the law enforcement side of things but they're ugly, gritty and realistic as hell. I think New Centurions is my favorite among the Wambaugh works.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

A good friend of mine is going through a ton of classics like The Grapes of Wrath, The Catcher in the Rye, and especially John Steinbeck stuff recently. I wanted to get her something classic in the same vein, but I also want to be absolutely sure she hasn't read the book yet as well. I was thinking of Siddhartha, one of my favorites, but do you think it's too much of a deviation from her current kick? Also, do you think The Stranger would be too weird to gift to someone? I enjoyed the book but I don't want to weird her out what with all the weird poo poo. Please give me some recommends yo!

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
The Stranger isn't really all that weird, but you might want to avoid it if she's been churning through classics - it is, in the parlance of our times, Pretty Entry Level.

I'd go buy her one of the recentish lit bestsellers like Freedom or something. It's enough just to say 'I thought of you and bought you this book of literature'. They're not going to judge the depth of your sentiment on whether it turns out to be an eternal classic or not.

I hope that's helpful, though I suspect you probably just wanted to be told a book title, in which case go buy Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

My wife liked the His Dark Materials trilogy, Dan Brown books, Dune, the Kite Runner, stories with puzzles to them, or where series of seemingly unrelated events intertwine. I'm thinking she might like Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, but I'd love some other recommendations.

Good Guy Chucky
Jan 13, 2006

I'm your friend till the end.
I’m enjoying end of the world novels at the moment:

The Stand
The Road
Blindness
Earth Ebides
Lucifer’s Hammer
Day of the Triffids
World War Z
I am Legend

All great books (maybe apart from Blindness which was more choresome than the others). If anyone has other recommendations I’d love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Good Guy Chucky posted:

I’m enjoying end of the world novels at the moment:

All great books (maybe apart from Blindness which was more choresome than the others). If anyone has other recommendations I’d love to hear them.

I recommended Wastelands earlier and I stand by that. It's a collection of apocalyptic short stories.