Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

ExtremeODD posted:

Just got a puppy from a coworker, the mom is a "bordador" half boarder collie and half Labrador. The dad is they believe to be a neighbors pitbull, one of the friendliest dogs Ive ever met. Just a hair over 4 weeks old or so, cute little bastard.

This is a troll. Surely. Surely this is a troll.

If not, then everything about this post is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wide Area Network
May 6, 2009

Connecting the world...FOR EVIL
Not so little puppy update:

This was Wally when I rescued him (@ 8 weeks):

This is Wally today (@ 7 months) (just ignore the laser beam eyes...he only uses them to force me to give him treats):

Aside from Brown Dog, which I am totally happy with, can anyone hazard a guess?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Wide Area Network posted:

Looks like some pibble in this guy. Other than that, brown dog.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Pibble/GSD or Pibble/Shar Pei maybe? Wally = :3:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
This is my family's dog, Shawney. She's ten years old now (had her since she was 2 or 3), but the vet says she has "the physique of a three year old" :3:. No one seems to be able to put a finger on what she is. I have my guesses, of course, but I've been around her so long it's hard to really say. Anyway, she's a sweetie, if a bit aloof. And, apparently, the week before I got home, she faced off three big coyotes and barked at them from a couple feet away before my mom realized what was going on and called her up. Right now she's being chased by the kitty.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Not so little puppy update:

This was Wally when I rescued him (@ 8 weeks):

This is Wally today (@ 7 months) (just ignore the laser beam eyes...he only uses them to force me to give him treats):

I'd say there's probable pit and shepherd influences but he's mostly mutt. With enough generations of randomly bred mutts you tend to end up with medium sized yellow or brown dogs with stick up ears and a short coat.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Took a few more pictures of Farlow. The list of what people think she may be a mix of has grown a bit.

EDIT: Added video of the Akita-like tail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsxiwjfdZd0

[Labrador / Chesapeake Bay] Retriever
German Shepherd
Chow Chow (half her tongue is dark blue, after looking it up this isn't restricted to just Chows so I'm not sold)
Akita (when she walks her tail curls up and over her back)

pik_d fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 15, 2010

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
I just adopted a dog. His name is Cheeky. The person I got him from things he's a terrier and australian cattle dog mix. While that is possible, his personality leads me to believe he isn't. He is extremely laid back. He doesn't bark excessively. He isn't hyper. Here are pics. These are from his petfinder ad. edit: he is 25-30 pounds and 2 1/2 years old.

lastly here is one I took of him relaxing on his new bed :3

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

happy cabbage fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 15, 2010

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Awww, he has freckly-weckly feet too! I think pointer mixes and dalmatians are also prone to freckle-feet. Aside from that, nothing about him really screams ACD to me.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Lab x Border collie maybe?

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

He reminds me a lot of one of my pooches, Hermes, who we were told is a Carolina Dog or a mutt with some Carolina Dog in him. We don't know for sure, since he's a shelter dog, but he does have some of the characteristics of my dog (big ears, black mouth, brown dog-ness). This isn't the best picture for capturing his sillyness, as it makes him look like a lab, but usually he's moving around those big ears like satellite dishes and looking expressive with his wrinkly face.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Diodeous posted:

He reminds me a lot of one of my pooches, Hermes, who we were told is a Carolina Dog or a mutt with some Carolina Dog in him. We don't know for sure, since he's a shelter dog, but he does have some of the characteristics of my dog (big ears, black mouth, brown dog-ness). This isn't the best picture for capturing his sillyness, as it makes him look like a lab, but usually he's moving around those big ears like satellite dishes and looking expressive with his wrinkly face.

The name 'Carolina Dog' isn't really a breed thing tbh; it just means a pariah dog from that area. A pariah dog is basically just a mutt of a mutt of a mutt that's gone feral.

Basically, whenever dogs have gone feral in an area, you're gonna get Brown Dogs, AKA tan/light colored dogs with stick-up ears and tails. It's just a genetic conglomeration of traits, not really any specific breed characteristics. All dogs that go feral and breed for a while will eventually produce Brown Dogs, even snooty purebreds. It's not really a bad thing to have a dog that's just a mutt, but shelters and rescues often try to insert a 'rare breed' into a dog's description so that people will be more likely to adopt them, and usually those descriptions are waaay off.

American Brown Dogs for everyone. :3:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Here is Sheeba, a mix of...something. She followed my stepmom into a bank as a skinny sick puppy and we've had her ever since (about 12 years now). I can't find any puppy pictures though :( The xray of her stomach after swallowing a rubber ducky is still hanging up on the wall of the vet's office.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

a duck posted:

Here is Sheeba, a mix of...something. She followed my stepmom into a bank as a skinny sick puppy and we've had her ever since (about 12 years now). I can't find any puppy pictures though :( The xray of her stomach after swallowing a rubber ducky is still hanging up on the wall of the vet's office.

boxer.....lab?
she's cute :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is Max. We're adopting him Sunday.

Max is a German/American Rottweiler mutt, with an American face and a German butt. He's about a year and a half old, and the previous owners took really good care of him. Unfortunately their family has fallen on some hard times. They did the commendable thing though and put him up for adoption instead of dropping him at a shelter. That's meant spending a few weeks taking care of Max and another lab even though the wife is pregnant and the husband has had shoulder surgery.

He's super sweet, not at all aggressive, and seemed to be really good with other dogs. We're really looking forward to adding him to our family.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

a duck posted:

My guess was boxer/something too. How big is she?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

anachrodragon posted:

My guess was boxer/something too. How big is she?

She's definitely not small. I think last time she was weighed it was on the order of 65-75 pounds, maybe a little bigger, but it's been a while so I might be remembering wrong. When they brought her to the vet as a puppy the vet also guessed she was mostly boxer, but had no idea about the other part.

Wide Area Network
May 6, 2009

Connecting the world...FOR EVIL

Captain Foxy posted:

The name 'Carolina Dog' isn't really a breed thing tbh; it just means a pariah dog from that area. A pariah dog is basically just a mutt of a mutt of a mutt that's gone feral.

Basically, whenever dogs have gone feral in an area, you're gonna get Brown Dogs, AKA tan/light colored dogs with stick-up ears and tails. It's just a genetic conglomeration of traits, not really any specific breed characteristics. All dogs that go feral and breed for a while will eventually produce Brown Dogs, even snooty purebreds. It's not really a bad thing to have a dog that's just a mutt, but shelters and rescues often try to insert a 'rare breed' into a dog's description so that people will be more likely to adopt them, and usually those descriptions are waaay off.

American Brown Dogs for everyone. :3:

As far as I'm concerned, American Brown Stick-up Eared Short Coated Dogs = the best dogs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

People constantly assume my "brown" greyhound is a mutt all the time. I find it kind of amusing - with all the mutt cats I've had over the years, people always asked "Oh, what breed is he?" and my first purebred animal gets "Oh, what's he mixed with?" :downs:

I love the random mixed-up brown dogs, though. Especially when they have eyebrow wrinkles. They just look so concerned all the time, I love it!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Captain Foxy posted:

Basically, whenever dogs have gone feral in an area, you're gonna get Brown Dogs, AKA tan/light colored dogs with stick-up ears and tails. It's just a genetic conglomeration of traits, not really any specific breed characteristics. All dogs that go feral and breed for a while will eventually produce Brown Dogs, even snooty purebreds.

There don't even have to be purebred dogs involved. Pariah dogs are basically the original dogs, purebred dogs are the exceptions. Especially in rural areas, mutts don't really have to be a mix of purebreds.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

An internet-friend of mine just sent me a photo of his dog, an ACD/Pit cross.

She looks like a short-haired Brisbane. Her name's Megatron.

Click here for the full 1000x800 image.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Megatron has glorious ears and wonderful freckles. I hope she gets to go swimming in that pond.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

a life less posted:

An internet-friend of mine just sent me a photo of his dog, an ACD/Pit cross.

She looks like a short-haired Brisbane. Her name's Megatron.

Click here for the full 1000x800 image.

wanna pet that dawg and play with its ears :3:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Here's the awesome awesome dog I grew up with. Gypsy was a Lab X Australian Cattle Dog, named after Gyp from the James Herriot story. Blue skin, webbed feet and freckled socks; she was equally happy running around and playing in the water. When she was older she started "fetching" rocks, wading out and ducking her head way under water to bring them up. It really did a number on her teeth as you can see in the first photo.

Opening Christmas presents :3:

Giant bouncy balls are the best!

Happiest dog in the world!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Gypsy is gorgeous. I can definitely see the ACD in that last shot.

mydogwatchestv
Dec 19, 2010
This is Nigel. He was abandoned with his sister in Brush, Colorado. Although his sister was adopted, everyone thought he was too ugly until we found him and loved him. We got him when he was 3 months old and now he's approximately 6 months old. My apologies for the horrible cell phone pictures ahead:

modeling his halloween snuggy

playing like his carrot like bolt

showing off his harness

long dog is long

We think he might be some sort of cairn terrier and dachsund mix, but we have no idea. He's really long and has a wicked underbite. He also has large paws compared to his small body and his long tail curves over him when he walks around.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
This is Roxanne. She is a mystery.

My fiancé picked her up off the street in Tampa about eight years ago (hence her name). He's shown me pictures of her when she was younger, and her muzzle was much darker and her fur had more black in it.

She is hairy as gently caress. She also has stubby legs in comparison to the rest of her. We've always thought she was part corgi because of that (and her face, ears, coat), but everything else is pretty much a guess. Collie? Sheltie? Retriever? Chow? Mutant pomeranian?

(That is snow on her)

We also have Tyler, but we know what he is. Border collie. Aussie. Jim Henson creation.

Size comparison:

She ALWAYS lies down like that. She usually puts her head between her front paws, which don't reach past her nose. I've pushed her along the kitchen floor like that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

New pictures of Farlow since puppies grow fast. Some weird looks, some playing with the other dogs, some exploring the house. :3:

EDIT: and some more:

The best Christmas present is an old sock

She captured and ate a spider in this position

More floppy ears

pik_d fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 23, 2010

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

demolition rickshaw posted:

This is Roxanne. She is a mystery.

She looks like a corgi x pomeranian to me, but the size definitely throws me off. Maybe rough collie or something similarly hairy!

Farlow is giving you a Class 10 Stink-Eye, haha.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

this is my freckle mutt, Spock.

he's always been a bit of a pimp.

ToastFaceKillah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 25, 2010

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Playing around in the snow all day has wore her out:

fitzpenguin
Nov 17, 2009
Hey fellow underbite dog person!

mydogwatchestv posted:

This is Nigel. He was abandoned with his sister in Brush, Colorado. Although his sister was adopted, everyone thought he was too ugly until we found him and loved him. We got him when he was 3 months old and now he's approximately 6 months old. My apologies for the horrible cell phone pictures ahead:

long dog is long

We think he might be some sort of cairn terrier and dachsund mix, but we have no idea. He's really long and has a wicked underbite. He also has large paws compared to his small body and his long tail curves over him when he walks around.

If Nigel wasn't a half a continent away, I'd think my dog Bob was Nigel's long lost brother, only in whitish and sort of brown. Shelter thought he might be part shi tzu, but we're leaning toward some sort of lhasa apso/terrier/gremlin mix. His shelter name was Scruffy, but his nickname was The Old Man. He was approx. six months old when we brought him home.

Wicked underbite? Check.

Click here for the full 1024x577 image.

Long dog with big feet? Tail curled over the back? yep!
Bob of the arctic!

Click here for the full 1024x577 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

He's a year and a half old now, and his fur is very coarse and wiry. It's really starting to grow very long and thick these days, so he's going to the groomer in the new year for a good trim.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Bob is a really sweet little dog, healthy, happy and friendly, but holy gently caress - he has the attention span of a fruit fly with attention deficit disorder. We love him, but The Old Man really isn't the brightest pup on the block. :3:

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Guess the breed!

His papers say "Border collie mix." His vet immediately thought, "Akita mix." Could be both. I'm not sure I want to do the DNA test right now. I'm waiting till it gets cheaper.

He is 10 weeks old and weighs 10 pounds. He learns really fast. He doesn't like to hear the word "no" but he hears it a lot.

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 29, 2010

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Guess the breed!

Immediately looked like a Border Collie/Akita mix. (Sorry for being unoriginal.)

There might be some Blue Heeler in there too.

The coat texture screams primitive breed. The head looks like a herder to me.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I see a lot of Border Collie in him for sure, but I think a life less has a good point regarding the coat. Be prepared for the most adorable endless supply of energy you've ever experienced :3:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

rivals posted:

I see a lot of Border Collie in him for sure, but I think a life less has a good point regarding the coat. Be prepared for the most adorable endless supply of energydestruction you've ever experienced :3:

Really cute though

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Thanks! Endless supply of energy, check. Herding instinct, check. Unfortunately his herding instinct is currently focused on my cats. They are Not Happy. But they are schooling him.

Any guesses on how big he might get? Border collie big, akita big? (Gulp. My husband was after a mid-sized dog--say, Sheltie size.)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

My dog was also about ten pounds at ten weeks. She's now ~35lbs and 19 inches at the shoulder at a year old.

My guess is the dog will be between 40 and 50 pounds all told.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

mydogwatchestv posted:

This dog. He is not ugly at all. That underbite is pretty wicked, but it's an addition to his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saveremreve
Dec 30, 2004

a life less posted:

My dog was also about ten pounds at ten weeks. She's now ~35lbs and 19 inches at the shoulder at a year old.

My guess is the dog will be between 40 and 50 pounds all told.

I've read in breed books that at 8 weeks you could lose a Borzoi puppy in a litter of whippets. I think 10 weeks is a little to early to call.