Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Auspex posted:

Phace & Misanthrop - Desert Orgy
http://soundcloud.com/neosignal/phace-misanthrop-desert-orgy-nsgnl006

This tune KILLS IT. Huge, huge huge. Love the House sample.

Also uploaded a temporary stream of my latest song that you dudes gave feedback on, hope I improved it. The style of the tune is staying the same but any mixing suggestions or comments at all are coolio.

holy poo poo link to a tune im working on was here but i just got the best email of my life. yessssssssssssssss

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
I've been into DnB since I started DJing in like 1998 or so. It's been so cool hearing the genre progress and change and branch out so much.
I'm also ashamed I've never posted in this thread before...

So to make up for that faux pas, I offer some mixes I made. These are recent, I have to re-upload my older stuff:

All Meat, No Gristle: http://www.mixcloud.com/Killerjunglist/all-meat-no-gristle/

Dread (A Ragga Mix): http://www.mixcloud.com/Killerjunglist/dread/

Playlists are on the website when you stream. If anyone wants the downloads I can post those links too, or you can check the DJ mixes megathread in Musicians Lounge.

Also, too add to the track love, I just can't stop listening to People Together by Bachelors of Science and Flatline by TC. I just love how relentless they are.

Edit: Punctuation!

Edit 2: Also Stompbox by The Qemists is a great track... all remixes that I've heard included.

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 12, 2010

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

KillerJunglist posted:

I've been into DnB since I started DJing in like 1998 or so. It's been so cool hearing the genre progress and change and branch out so much.
I'm also ashamed I've never posted in this thread before...

So to make up for that faux pas, I offer some mixes I made. These are recent, I have to re-upload my older stuff:

All Meat, No Gristle: http://www.mixcloud.com/Killerjunglist/all-meat-no-gristle/

Dread (A Ragga Mix): http://www.mixcloud.com/Killerjunglist/dread/

Playlists are on the website when you stream. If anyone wants the downloads I can post those links too, or you can check the DJ mixes megathread in Musicians Lounge.

Also, too add to the track love, I just can't stop listening to People Together by Bachelors of Science and Flatline by TC. I just love how relentless they are.

Edit: Punctuation!

Edit 2: Also Stompbox by The Qemists is a great track... all remixes that I've heard included.

Dread is pretty cool. I'm postin' that up on my music blog tomorrow for "MIXTAPE MONDAY".

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
A little bit of ragga goes a long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzbdBk6XQ6Y

Youtube comments!

"don't make raw poo poo like this anymore. everything nowadays is wannabe americanised pussy air-brushed chicken-poo poo "

Boy wish I knew what it was like to be an insufferable uk elitist! :allears:

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Zahi posted:

A little bit of ragga goes a long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzbdBk6XQ6Y

Youtube comments!

"don't make raw poo poo like this anymore. everything nowadays is wannabe americanised pussy air-brushed chicken-poo poo "

Boy wish I knew what it was like to be an insufferable uk elitist! :allears:

I remember this one time I had gone to Barnes & Noble and I had my MP3 player with me, but low to the point where only I could hear what I was listenin' to. Anyways, I'm gettin' rung up by this one dude, and he asks me if I'm listening to Drum & Bass (how the gently caress did he know? I wasn't even bobbin' my head, and like I said...poo poo was LOW)...so I tell him I am. He asks me who I'm listenin' to at the moment and I tell him I'm listenin' to Gridlok. He then gets this snotty, unapproving tone and responds with, "Oh, I listen to UK stuff." What the gently caress does it matter where it's coming from? If it's good, it's good!

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Riot.EXE posted:

I remember this one time I had gone to Barnes & Noble and I had my MP3 player with me, but low to the point where only I could hear what I was listenin' to. Anyways, I'm gettin' rung up by this one dude, and he asks me if I'm listening to Drum & Bass (how the gently caress did he know? I wasn't even bobbin' my head, and like I said...poo poo was LOW)...so I tell him I am. He asks me who I'm listenin' to at the moment and I tell him I'm listenin' to Gridlok. He then gets this snotty, unapproving tone and responds with, "Oh, I listen to UK stuff." What the gently caress does it matter where it's coming from? If it's good, it's good!

Also, Gridlok is probably the most 'UK-sounding' US d&b artist. :confused:

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck
guys you can do something about it - vote for bassdrive.com internet radio at the http://www.drumandbassawards.co.uk/ :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Christ I don't know why I didn't think to look for a DnB thread on SA before. I've been on the fringe of the genre of the longest time. I grew up with the go-to names like Bukem and Photek but reading through this thread has put a few more albums on my to-buy wishlist.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Can somebody please enlighten me as to what the fascination with Spor is? The more I listen to this guy, the more I have to wonder. I know he's a pretty popular guy, so he must be doing something right, but I just can't figure out what it is. I'm not a huge fan of Noisia either, but Machine Gun's a pretty catchy track that I just got into. I figured I could give the Spor remix a listen, and I liked for the most part what I was hearing but I don't understand him.

I know very few spor songs off the top of my head, so I may be unfairly judging him, but he seems to do this thing where he builds up energy in the intro... and then just lets it hit the floor. I've noticed this in both his remix of Machine Gun and Kingdom (though it does work well being mixed with Space Time on Nightlife 5). I would liken it to just about to reach orgasm, and then blowing your load too early. Are all of his songs like this? Do crowds like getting pumped up and just to let the intensity drop off to some baseline beat again?

I'm lost, and I -do- want to like this guy. :(

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Can somebody please enlighten me as to what the fascination with Spor is? The more I listen to this guy, the more I have to wonder. I know he's a pretty popular guy, so he must be doing something right, but I just can't figure out what it is. I'm not a huge fan of Noisia either, but Machine Gun's a pretty catchy track that I just got into. I figured I could give the Spor remix a listen, and I liked for the most part what I was hearing but I don't understand him.

I know very few spor songs off the top of my head, so I may be unfairly judging him, but he seems to do this thing where he builds up energy in the intro... and then just lets it hit the floor. I've noticed this in both his remix of Machine Gun and Kingdom (though it does work well being mixed with Space Time on Nightlife 5). I would liken it to just about to reach orgasm, and then blowing your load too early. Are all of his songs like this? Do crowds like getting pumped up and just to let the intensity drop off to some baseline beat again?

I don't know man, but I definitely relate to your plight. Spor has SOME cool poo poo, but his style isn't varied-within-itself enough, so he gets old after a while. I wonder if he's still doing anything under his house name, "Feed Me"...

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Spor used to be much better, went a bit formulaic after Aztec took off (that's still a stonking tune either way). Try some of the older stuff like Dreadnought, Judderman, Lose It etc.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
If the drop on Kingdom has no energy for you, then you are broken and you cannot like that kind of drum and bass. Give up and move on and try not to feel too left out.

In all honesty I don't know what to say. Kingdom is the epitome of mental, balls-out all-over-the-place energy in d&b and is executed almost perfectly and evidently it just doesn't click with you for some reason. Listen to the other three tracks on the Conquerors and Commoners EP - all very different, and all flipping brilliant.

Thoroughly disagree with Neurophonic - Silver Spaceman/Some Other Funk and the C&C EP are some of his best ever releases, with the latter in my opinion being his best work, and both are post-Aztec.

Edit: with regards to Feed Me, he has an 8 track EP just coming out on deadmau5's label, so you asked at just the right time. http://soundcloud.com/youfeedme/sets/feed-me-feed-mes-big-adventure-clips

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Which Spor tracks in particular would say are "big build-up, weak drop"? I just re-listened to a bunch of Spor tracks and got the exact opposite impression.

brathering
Sep 26, 2007

ducky ducky duck duck
guys check out this dj set from netsky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vs_ZeMbTAs&hd=1

not because its good (it isnt)
but because the mix action doesn't really fit to the actual sound :psyduck: (you can clearly see it around 5:20 and after)

brathering fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 16, 2010

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

brathering posted:

guys check out this dj set from netsky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vs_ZeMbTAs&hd=1

not because its good (it isnt)
but because the mix action doesn't really fit to the actual sound :psyduck: (you can clearly see it around 5:20 and after)

I got confused trying to watch his actual physical mixing, but then I realised you meant look at the Serato screen, and yeah, it makes no sense. For example his transition from System to Ill Behaviour - the transition happens with only one Serato track playing. So both System and Ill Behaviour were on that one MP3, evidently. This would be excusable if it was a mash-up, but it's not, it's a (fairly rubbish) mix. He then mixes into another Serato track at 6:24 (notice the top one stop moving) but it continues to be Ill Behaviour, with his next tune pre-mixed in (listen to the drums).

Secondly, watch the bit from 2:14 to 3:00. The track he mixes out of the Let You Go remix (I don't recognise it) drops when it's clearly on the same Serato deck as Let You Go (the top one) - if you watch the waveforms, the waveform on the deck it 'should' be on goes into near-silence at about 2:44 for quite a while. The camera looks away for a while, and when it looks back at 3:36, the track I don't know is now on the bottom Serato deck and the Vocals from System are being mixed in - apparently on the top deck - and it's all well and dandy until at 3:50 he takes the tune out of the top deck...and both tunes remain playing.

I'm pretty sure he has his transitions pre-recorded, and then he matches up the tracks that are the same - i.e., he has 2 MP3s with Ill Behaviour on it: one is an MP3 going from System into Ill Behaviour, and another is an MP3 with Ill Behaviour going into whatever the next tune is.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

Which Spor tracks in particular would say are "big build-up, weak drop"? I just re-listened to a bunch of Spor tracks and got the exact opposite impression.

Probably the ones I just mentioned, his remix of Noisia's Machine Gun and Kingdom. Giving another couple listens to Kingdom, I can grow to appreciate it a little bit more. It does actually drop somewhat hard, but far from the "mental, balls out" stuff Anae is referring to.

That being said, I might try to find some of his music i can enjoy. I thought I hated Noisia too but Machine Gun is pretty awesome. Same with Stigma.

That all being said and done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CS88rYC7as&feature=sub

Remix of Tears for Fear's classic, "Shout" by Q-BiK & Djon. I am not familiar with the DJs but I am loving it right now.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Probably the ones I just mentioned, his remix of Noisia's Machine Gun and Kingdom. Giving another couple listens to Kingdom, I can grow to appreciate it a little bit more. It does actually drop somewhat hard, but far from the "mental, balls out" stuff Anae is referring to.

I'm genuinely curious now. Can you post what you'd class as mental, balls-out d&b?

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Anae posted:

I'm genuinely curious now. Can you post what you'd class as mental, balls-out d&b?

Hmm. Well I can't think of much off the top of my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IaNF1edVz8
Delta Heavy's "Space Time" maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7XYvT3IGM
Metrik's "T-1000"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IRfiA3_Po
Camo & Krooked's "Terra" has a lot of energy to it also, like a lot of C&K songs.

All in all Kingdom is alright. It's just not my taste I guess.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Anae posted:

I got confused trying to watch his actual physical mixing, but then I realised you meant look at the Serato screen, and yeah, it makes no sense. For example his transition from System to Ill Behaviour - the transition happens with only one Serato track playing. So both System and Ill Behaviour were on that one MP3, evidently. This would be excusable if it was a mash-up, but it's not, it's a (fairly rubbish) mix. He then mixes into another Serato track at 6:24 (notice the top one stop moving) but it continues to be Ill Behaviour, with his next tune pre-mixed in (listen to the drums).

Secondly, watch the bit from 2:14 to 3:00. The track he mixes out of the Let You Go remix (I don't recognise it) drops when it's clearly on the same Serato deck as Let You Go (the top one) - if you watch the waveforms, the waveform on the deck it 'should' be on goes into near-silence at about 2:44 for quite a while. The camera looks away for a while, and when it looks back at 3:36, the track I don't know is now on the bottom Serato deck and the Vocals from System are being mixed in - apparently on the top deck - and it's all well and dandy until at 3:50 he takes the tune out of the top deck...and both tunes remain playing.

I'm pretty sure he has his transitions pre-recorded, and then he matches up the tracks that are the same - i.e., he has 2 MP3s with Ill Behaviour on it: one is an MP3 going from System into Ill Behaviour, and another is an MP3 with Ill Behaviour going into whatever the next tune is.

Wouldn't be the first Hospital artist to be caught not mixing at all... Mitsubishi was caught playing pre-recorded too. I think it's just because they are producers and not DJs, but the money is in DJing as well and they need to be appearing at events like Hospitality to make any money.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

infinity2005 posted:

Wouldn't be the first Hospital artist to be caught not mixing at all... Mitsubishi was caught playing pre-recorded too. I think it's just because they are producers and not DJs, but the money is in DJing as well and they need to be appearing at events like Hospitality to make any money.

Don't you mean Mistabishi?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

That being said, I might try to find some of his music i can enjoy. I thought I hated Noisia too but Machine Gun is pretty awesome. Same with Stigma.

That all being said and done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CS88rYC7as&feature=sub

Remix of Tears for Fear's classic, "Shout" by Q-BiK & Djon. I am not familiar with the DJs but I am loving it right now.

Check out these Spor tracks if you are interested:

Spor - Knock You Down

Spor - The Resistance

Spor - 103 Degrees

Evol Intent Feat. Ewun - 8-Bit Bitch (Spor Remix)

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw

Anae posted:

Yeah, hopefully that video is just horribly out of sync. I didn't look at the waveforms, however picking up the needle on a deck means at least one song should stop playing. That clearly didn't happen. DJ edits are alright, but if he's pre-mixing transitions that's just ridiculous. It seems like you'd have to go out of your way to do cheaty mixing like that, but I guess some guys are obsessed with sounding like a mix cd.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Anae posted:

It's possible he has a 3rd track playing internally (with an SL3?)

Edit: On second look, I'm not convinced this is actually "live". Right when the stage cam comes on, you can tell the waveforms don't line up with the currently playing track. I think it's just a crap edit job where the editor just kind of guessed where the video should go. At around 7 minutes, he cuts out and you can hear a bunch of screaming for the next track, but looking at the audience, I don't see any change in the crowd.

chrix fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 16, 2010

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

chrix posted:

At around 7 minutes, he cuts out and you can hear a bunch of screaming for the next track, but looking at the audience, I don't see any change in the crowd.

The Great DnB Laugh Track Scandal of 2010.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw

SUBFRIES posted:

The Great DnB Laugh Track Scandal of 2010.

I couldn't help myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhBfMJUys1w

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

EMUpirate posted:

I couldn't help myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhBfMJUys1w

Well played sir.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

chrix posted:

It's possible he has a 3rd track playing internally (with an SL3?)

Edit: On second look, I'm not convinced this is actually "live". Right when the stage cam comes on, you can tell the waveforms don't line up with the currently playing track. I think it's just a crap edit job where the editor just kind of guessed where the video should go. At around 7 minutes, he cuts out and you can hear a bunch of screaming for the next track, but looking at the audience, I don't see any change in the crowd.

2:16 to 2:23, he's cueing up a tune and it's very obviously in sync.

Edit: what the hell is wrong with me, that means nothing. Ignore this post, I'm a twat.

Anae fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 16, 2010

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

It's really confusing because they got the video "in time" but it's in the completely wrong position.

Netsky DJ forensics up in this piece.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

chrix posted:

It's really confusing because they got the video "in time" but it's in the completely wrong position.

Netsky DJ forensics up in this piece.

Yeah christ this was nerdy.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Cross posting from the DJ Mix Megathread:
Mix I made about two years ago. Just finally got around to uploading it...
Mostly older tracks. Hope you like it!
Stream: http://www.mixcloud.com/Killerjunglist/convulsion/
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmngz...angleJungle.mp3
Name: Convulsion
Time: 'bout an hour
Tracks:
1. Spasm – Neurotix
2. Suicide – Kosheen (Decoder Remix)
3. Wendigo – Psidream
4. Back @ Mine – Decoder
5. 8 Bit – Breakage & Threshold
6. Pacman (Remix) – Ed Rush & Optical
7. Hydrophonics – Sonic and Silver
8. Today – Drumsound and Bassline
9. Scar Tissue – Twisted Individual
10. Subculture – Styles of Beyond (Upbeats Remix)
11. Invid – Diesel Boy
12. Sphinx – DJ Reality
13. Brace – Tech Itch
14. Panic Attack – E. Keely and A. Ash, ft. Nu Balance
15. Puerto Rico – Ed Rush & Optical
16. Short Kut – Nu Balance
17. Because I Got It Like That – Jungle Brothers (Freestylers Remix)
18. Snow – Wildchild & Damage

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

no criticism on the mix, but is there a reason you label your tracks: "title - artist" instead of the other way around? It looks funny to see Kosheen (Decoder Remix) instead of Suicide (Decoder Remix)

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

chrix posted:

no criticism on the mix, but is there a reason you label your tracks: "title - artist" instead of the other way around? It looks funny to see Kosheen (Decoder Remix) instead of Suicide (Decoder Remix)

I think because the program I use to make most of the mixes (Mixmeister... and before anyone criticizes that I want you to know, I'm really cheap) uses "Title-Artist" as the default. The bad habit does spill over to when I label live mixes too... I'm trying to break myself of it but this was an old mix so I used an old playlist.

As for the whole "remix" thing I'm still on the fence on whether it should be "Artist (remix artist)" or "Title (remix artist)". Any thoughts on that one?

Edit:
VVVV this is what I see the most, but sometimes it is part of the artist line.

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 16, 2010

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Kosheen - Suicide (Decoder Remix) is how I would label it.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

chrix posted:

Kosheen - Suicide (Decoder Remix) is how I would label it.

This - it's the track that's being remixed, not the artist.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

This - it's the track that's being remixed, not the artist.

Yea, this makes the most sense, actually. I'm glad you put it that way, now I'll remember!

Edit: Now that I look at it, this is the only playlist I've made where I put the remix artist in the artist line. I don't know what I was thinking...

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 17, 2010

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

SUBFRIES posted:

If you like Jubei, definitely check out Code 3 (it's Jubei + SP:MC + a third guy whose name I can not remember right now). And if you like Teebee, check out his collabs with Calyx.

Definitely check out Confession. Actually, i'll just post it and you can thank me later :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dtFFIIHkY

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

Definitely check out Confession. Actually, i'll just post it and you can thank me later :)

This is the tune that got me back into drum and bass after becoming very disillusioned with the direction of most producers from 2006 onwards.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

Check out these Spor tracks if you are interested:

Spor - Knock You Down

Spor - The Resistance

Spor - 103 Degrees

Evol Intent Feat. Ewun - 8-Bit Bitch (Spor Remix)

See here's what I'm talking about... I knew there had to be some tracks I like. All 4 of these are badass. I really love The Resistance. Can't keep that one off the replay right now. Thanks!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

chrix posted:

I'm not making a huge fuss about what you're saying here (read: I'm not gettin' defensive up in here), but usually when I list a track on my blog or whatever, I do it like this: "8-Bit Bitch (Spor Remix)" - Evol Intent. Is that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dell_Zincht posted:

Good lord that bass tone.

Sick tune, thanks for that.