Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Question: Am I the only one whose Lego Kingdoms calendar comes with a ton of extra poo poo? I usually have two of every accessory in a given box, sometimes more. When I got the minifig yesterday, motherfucker came with three swords. Same for the sword in the stone today. I feel like I made out like a bandit.

Yeah, I mentioned that back when I opened up my Kingdoms calendar back when I bought it a couple months ago. A wealth of accessories!

A heads up: The Puyallup, WA TRU had about 3.5 cases of S3 minifigs as of 3pm today, and they're having a deal: spend $30 on Lego, get a free minifig.
Of course, TRU prices are $4 apiece for the figs.

I went to Target today to look for those Lego gift cards, but couldn't find a sign of 'em anywhere.

If anyone wants to prep for the Gordon Freeman minifig next series, check out the new set 7279: Police Minifigure Collection. Has two cops and two robbers, a dog with a new print on its head (eyes, nose, and a German Sheperd-like pattern), and the important bit: a crowbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

So I put up a post on Craigslist the other night about a bulk lot of LEGO I was selling and a guy shoots me an email expressing interest. I'm looking at the name and it's somewhat familiar but I just can't place it. Then a few minutes later, it dawned on me. I was contacted by one of the main writers/senior producer of Futurama!

He came over, we joked around a bit, talking about the show and a few other things, then he paid for the bricks and told me that once they get going with production again in March that I need to email him so that I can come to a table read with everyone. :)

Sometimes I really love living in LA.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

ireladd posted:

So I put up a post on Craigslist the other night about a bulk lot of LEGO I was selling and a guy shoots me an email expressing interest. I'm looking at the name and it's somewhat familiar but I just can't place it. Then a few minutes later, it dawned on me. I was contacted by one of the main writers/senior producer of Futurama!

He came over, we joked around a bit, talking about the show and a few other things, then he paid for the bricks and told me that once they get going with production again in March that I need to email him so that I can come to a table read with everyone. :)

Sometimes I really love living in LA.

LEGO. What CAN'T it do? :allears:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Pyroclastic posted:

I went to Target today to look for those Lego gift cards, but couldn't find a sign of 'em anywhere.

I hit both my local targets and managed to find some, they are on end caps of the isles. First place to look would be the greeting card section. They have a special hook/display for the lego cards.

As of this afternoon they had about 4 of em left.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Katana Gomai posted:

Question: Am I the only one whose Lego Kingdoms calendar comes with a ton of extra poo poo? I usually have two of every accessory in a given box, sometimes more. When I got the minifig yesterday, motherfucker came with three swords. Same for the sword in the stone today. I feel like I made out like a bandit.

Nope, same here.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Amazon's having a sale on construction toys. Most are knockoff poo poo, but there are some real things there:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ty_blfr10_boysFD_60pct_1000643311_pglink_next?ie=UTF8&plgroup=2&docId=1000643311

Even some individual Power Functions bits are on sale!

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 15, 2010

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Ika posted:

Nope, same here.

Ditto. I have so many extra swords now in dark and light metallic grey.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Amazon's having a sale on construction toys. Most are knockoff poo poo, but there are some real things there:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ty_blfr10_boysFD_60pct_1000643311_pglink_next?ie=UTF8&plgroup=2&docId=1000643311

Even some individual Power Functions bits are on sale!

There are some decent deals on sets there, but those PF components are "discounted" to their lego.com price. Some are actually still more expensive, like the 20" wire. 25% off a PoP Battle of Almut is good though. That set is a great deal anyway.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I ordered the Fire Brigade and the Tantive IV sets from amazon with the buy one, get one 50% deal. Good price, but man I need to stop buying Lego.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Ninja Bob posted:

I ordered the Fire Brigade and the Tantive IV sets from amazon with the buy one, get one 50% deal. Good price, but man I need to stop buying Lego.

I just did the same! And also, a pair of Tie Defenders, and then a Trifighter Droid and a Separatist Shuttle. And using my Amazon branded credit card for 3% cash back. I haven't bought Lego in years, but I felt a jonesing after reading this thread.

Since I haven't seen this deal mentioned before Ninja Bob's post, Amazon's Buy One, Get One 50% is below. Promotion is applied when checking out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000635581_pglink_1?&ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000635581&plpage=1

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 15, 2010

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

ElMudo posted:

I just did the same! And also, a pair of Tie Defenders, and then a Trifighter Droid and a Separatist Shuttle. And using my Amazon branded credit card for 3% cash back. I haven't bought Lego in years, but I felt a jonesing after reading this thread.

Since I haven't seen this deal mentioned before Ninja Bob's post, Amazon's Buy One, Get One 50% is below. Promotion is applied when checking out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000635581_pglink_1?&ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000635581&plpage=1

Ugh I couldn't justify spending $225 for a Fire Brigade and a Tantive IV, considering it only brings them down to $112.50 each. I did, however, pull the trigger on two Quest against Time sets, because $18 for a $50 506 piece set with 4 cool minifigs and a light brick is right up my alley. Even if you don't like PoP, just look at the price. You could spend $15 on a Seabed Scavenger or $18 on this.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ElMudo posted:

I just did the same! And also, a pair of Tie Defenders, and then a Trifighter Droid and a SepSince I haven't seen this deal mentioned before Ninja Bob's post, Amazon's Buy One, Get One 50% is below. Promotion is applied when checking out:

Crazy deal on two LEGO Prince of Persia Quest Against Time (7572) sets if they let you buy two and qualify for the promotion.

[edit] Just checked and it works... $36 gets you two sets out the door.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Welp, my local TRU happened to have series 3 when I stopped in there during lunch. Tried to assemble a whole set using the bump patterns, but I missed a couple. At any rate, now I have a have/need trade list for you all :)

NEED:

Pilot
Mummy
Rapper

HAVE TO TRADE:

Fisherman x2
Samurai x3
Snowboarder x2
Sumo Wrestler x2
Tennis Player
Gorilla Man

Any takers?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Mascot posted:

Welp, my local TRU happened to have series 3 when I stopped in there during lunch. Tried to assemble a whole set using the bump patterns, but I missed a couple. At any rate, now I have a have/need trade list for you all :)

NEED:

Pilot
Mummy
Rapper

HAVE TO TRADE:

Fisherman x2
Samurai x3
Snowboarder x2
Sumo Wrestler x2
Tennis Player
Gorilla Man

Any takers?

Would you like to trade pilot for Fisherman? :)

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I picked up the Endor set for 75 today off of craigslist. I wish I had bought battle droids when they were cheap so I could have made an army.

Also does anyone own the lego stop motion camera? Is it any good?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Stupid minifigures. I'm addicted to 'em. I looked for an elf for my girlfriend (she liked it :3:) and just got random ones for the rest and ended up with 5 or 6 of the aliens. I don't have any of the Space Police sets but I think I'm obligated to pick one up so the alien that comes with it will have his own posse.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Just a heads up that the Marshalls and TJMaxx's around me have Lego in for the holiday season, all about 5-15 bucks cheaper than they would be just around the corner at Toys R' Us. They have a small, but good selection ranging from Star Wars and Space Police, to Atlantis and Racers.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Just a heads up that the Marshalls and TJMaxx's around me have Lego in for the holiday season, all about 5-15 bucks cheaper than they would be just around the corner at Toys R' Us. They have a small, but good selection ranging from Star Wars and Space Police, to Atlantis and Racers.

I just picked up the space limo after stopping at Marshall's for something else. I'm going back for the smaller Atlantis temple thing. Can't beat the prices. :D

Edit: SPACE PIMP. This set is awesome. He really should come with a green-skinned space babe instead of some weird underbite alien. Unless...

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I just picked up the space limo after stopping at Marshall's for something else. I'm going back for the smaller Atlantis temple thing. Can't beat the prices. :D

Edit: SPACE PIMP. This set is awesome. He really should come with a green-skinned space babe instead of some weird underbite alien. Unless...

How much did you pay for the Lunar Limo? Target has it on sale for 22.40 right now and I'm curious which one is lower. I need a space pimp to keep the space ho's in front of my Grand Emporium in line.

ireladd fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 18, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

That is lower. Go for it!

Edit: ireladd seriously go get it. I just built mine, and it's awesome. It's really big, fun to build, has SPACE PIMP (his head glows in the dark!) and it even has a missile launcher that is surprisingly strong.
The only downside, tiny downside, is that it comes with a space police guy...and that's it. I mean, he doesn't even have a little scooter to chase them down with. And he's kind of lame. But who cares! Space Pimp!

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 18, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I can't believe Brick Daddy goes for $10 minimum on bricklink.com. That said, I decided to get another Lunar Limo and the Undercover cruiser from Target, and my 4 Construct-a-Zurgs arrived today. My stock of purple is piling up!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Anyone know if Lego stores do anything on the day after Christmas?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Yeah, so I am in some kind of S3 mini black hole here.
I was out Christmas shopping today and stopped in 3 toy stores, including a TRU and they all have big displays of S2 but no sign of S3. :sigh:

InfinEight posted:

Undercover cruiser

I know LEGO sets have stupid names in general, but I don't get what is "undercover" about the Undercover Cruiser.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm hoping for a severe discount on the Winter Toy Shop and Winter Bakery, kind of like the Advent Calendar dropping down to $10.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Flavor Bear posted:

I know LEGO sets have stupid names in general, but I don't get what is "undercover" about the Undercover Cruiser.

I guess 'Needless Pendulum See-Saw Gimmick Cruiser' was too convoluted.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

S3 I need:

Fisherman
Indian
Space Alien
Rapper

S3 extras I have:

Gorilla
Snow Boarder * 2
Pilot * 2
Elf
Sumo

Looking to trade 1 for 1 please!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

kensei posted:

S3 I need:

Fisherman
Indian
Space Alien
Rapper

S3 extras I have:

Gorilla
Snow Boarder * 2
Pilot * 2
Elf
Sumo

Looking to trade 1 for 1 please!

Would you like to trade indian for elf?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pyroclastic posted:

Lego Stores in Germany have a sale starting December 27th, details of which have not been released yet. Don't know about the US.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ireladd posted:

How much did you pay for the Lunar Limo? Target has it on sale for 22.40 right now and I'm curious which one is lower. I need a space pimp to keep the space ho's in front of my Grand Emporium in line.
I wanted the Limo so badly I accidentally ordered two from their site. But that's okay, because I want the Lunar Limo that badly. I think I'll combine the two and make some sort of monstrosity.

Also, it's free shipping, so buying those two they informed me that I saved 27 dollars!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Captain Invictus posted:

I wanted the Limo so badly I accidentally ordered two from their site. But that's okay, because I want the Lunar Limo that badly. I think I'll combine the two and make some sort of monstrosity.

Also, it's free shipping, so buying those two they informed me that I saved 27 dollars!

Just make one in to a Genestealer limo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ireladd posted:

Would you like to trade indian for elf?

Sure! PM me your address and we can just mail them off to each other.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
The first Hero Factory wave sucks. It's too Bionicley. (Sorry Bionicle fans.) The masks and weapons are kind of cool, but the limbs are like gen 1 bionicle limbs. Hero Factory 2.0 is much better. There's this standardized frame that's almost like a Stikfas guy. The armor plates snap on at ball-and-socket joints, and it's extremely modular. They did away with pins, but there are several pin sockets in the torso and extremities. That said, I think the MOC possibilities are rather limited, or may take some extreme creativity to pull off. It doesn't integrate with System well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lord Commissar posted:

Just make one in to a Genestealer limo.
Good lord you're right, these would look absolutely bitchin' in Lego form.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
So what's the modern day equivalent of this bad boy?

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6081-1

I was looking for something similar. I can't remember how much Imy parents paid for it back in the day, but I'm looking for something that's fun to build (from instructions!) and hopefully not too expensive.

edit - sooooo tempted to buy one of those exact kits off ebay.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Yoshimo posted:

So what's the modern day equivalent of this bad boy?

The current version is the King's Castle:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7946-1

with more than twice as many parts, and the same number of figures. However, I would probably go with Prison Tower Rescue:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7947-1

It's a bit more affordable and the Dragon Knights have a much cooler colour scheme than the Royal Knights.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I bought something interesting off ebay.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

7 of them to be exact.

and yes, they are official lego.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 19, 2010

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I was inadequately prepared for seminude Santa in today's Advent calendar.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Veeb0rg posted:

big bricks

Compatible with Quatro? Duplo?

Coder
Nov 15, 2004
I dug out my legos after probably 5 years to build this:

My parents neighbors have an old school clock like this (obviously not made of legos) and when I saw the inside of it I knew I had to make a lego version.

Here is a close up of the clock face and the pendulum bearing and the ratchet:

The ratchet was by far the hardest part of the clock to get working. This is the part that goes 'tick tock'. I was hoping to use a 24 tooth gear as the ratchet but I couldn't get those to work reliably. The clock would be much more efficient with more steps per rotation of the ratchet. This ratchet looks nice though, it is easy to adjust and it is not nearly as fragile as all the other crap I tried.

I cut one of those 2 stud long smooth axle sheaths in half to make those black things you see the yellow propellor hitting (actually did this a long time ago and don't remember why, but they came in handy for this!). Other than that it is all official lego parts, besides the string and batteries of course.

Here is a look up into the clock:

The blue spool holds the weight, which drives the differential. The diff is there so you can wind the clock without stopping the pendulum. One output of the diff goes to the winding wheel (the pulley wheel on the far side), the other output of the diff goes to drive the clock. The winding wheel has a ratchet to prevent it from going the wrong way, so to wind it all you have to do is spin the wheel (or what I do, stick a motor in the wheel and turn it on).

Right now it runs for around an hour on a wind up with the weight falling about 6 feet. Its about 1 second per minute slow, but it will be very easy to tune it once its done, just move the weights up or down the pendulum.

Still left:
- Figure out how the hell to put 3 hands on one axle for an hour hand. Any ideas? If I can't figure out anything, I'll just get rid of the seconds hand and just have hours and minutes. That would be unfortunate because the seconds hand looks really cool.
- I'm going to replace the batteries with some of the official lego weights. I don't have enough of these now but I ordered some more off bricklink. Once I do this, I will be able to wind the weight up all the way to the bottom of the clock. Right now, the weight is too bulky to pass the pendulum.
- I want to use better string than what I'm using now, which sucks. I like the official lego string but I don't have nearly long enough of a piece. It would also run a bit longer with thinner string.
- I hope to make the winding a little easier. Right now it takes ridiculously many turns to wind the weight all the way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

The Duck of Death posted:

Compatible with Quatro? Duplo?

Just dug out a Duplo and Quatro block. They aren't compatible.

Normal > Duplo > Quatro > ???

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 19, 2010