Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Perry Normal posted:

I think a lot of guys who have those fancy pads don't wear boots, but some kind of athletic shoe. Off the top of my head, I can think of Lance Storm, Waltman and Shelton Benjamin who did this, but I'm sure there are hundreds more.

Yeah, a lot of indy guys also get kickpads instead of actual wrestling boots because they're a lot cheaper and don't look half bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Endorph posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Cena, Barrett, Kane, Miz, Orton, and Edge are getting first-class. On the same plane. WWE's next move will be making a buddy-comedy about their flight getting delayed and them having to race from Virginia to California in 48 hours to make it to the next show.

That kind of movie would be something that interests me. Assuming they are in character, of course.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hockles posted:

That kind of movie would be something that interests me. Assuming they are in character, of course.

And Tony Atlas is the comic relief, trying to get to the same location by any means necessary, desperately trying to get a cella-phone.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
And the winner gets to be in the main event at WrestleMania.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Endorph posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that Cena, Barrett, Kane, Miz, Orton, and Edge are getting first-class. On the same plane. WWE's next move will be making a buddy-comedy about their flight getting delayed and them having to race from Virginia to California in 48 hours to make it to the next show.

I may be wrong but I think I've heard a certain few get to use the private plane.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009

Raeg posted:

I may be wrong but I think I've heard a certain few get to use the private plane.

Pretty sure this is just HHH.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Exactly which episode of the Bryan and Vinny show was it that they reviewed Victory Road 2009 and Alverez yells MINUS FIVE STARS?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

El Generico posted:

Exactly which episode of the Bryan and Vinny show was it that they reviewed Victory Road 2009 and Alverez yells MINUS FIVE STARS?

I think it's actually on an Observer Radio and not a B&V show, since Vinny usually does his PPV report as part of those. So check the WORs from July 2009.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

July 19th 2009 Wrestling Observer Radio. Dave's segment is pretty great too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Yeah, a lot of indy guys also get kickpads instead of actual wrestling boots because they're a lot cheaper and don't look half bad.

You wear the kickpads over your boots. You still have to have boots to wear the kickpads.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

You wear the kickpads over your boots. You still have to have boots to wear the kickpads.

No you don't. They can also be worn with wrestling shoes. Wrestling shoes are much lighter than boots which is great, but they don't provide ankle support so there is a trade off.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, Regal gave AmDrag some boots for ankle support. I imagine he doesn't wear them anymore due to vegan reasons. It's hard to find a good vegan shoe.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

Meaning, if a guy sits on the shelf with injuries, not only is he paying for his own insurance out of pocket, but he's not earning money from being on the road or TV.

I've heard that WWE will usually cover surgeries from an in-ring injury.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Bikeage posted:

Pretty sure this is just HHH.

JBL was allowed to use it when he was an announcer.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Aren't those kickpads so that they can use a more kick based offense without breaking someone or their own shins? That's what I'd have to guess anyway. As for the guys that wear them that don't have a kick based offense I have no idea.

In horse riding, people wear short boots with.. uh.. "kickpads", to reduce the ammount of weight being carried on the ankle joint. The pads are "held up" by the muscles around the top of the calf, wheras the weight of long boots is supported entirely by the ankle and the foot.

If I'm riding in long boots for a few hours, I notice that I lose a lot of the flexibility in my ankle, because of the weight my foot has been carrying. I guess for people wrestling 40-minute matches, it's a bit of a no-brainer. You don't want to be wearing big heavy leather boots to do it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

No you don't. They can also be worn with wrestling shoes. Wrestling shoes are much lighter than boots which is great, but they don't provide ankle support so there is a trade off.

Or if you're Sid none of it will matter when it comes to support - it's just how much you'd like to contain your ankle goo after it explodes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chilly McFreeze posted:

My understanding's that they try to make sure their performers are taken care of (as did WCW when they were around), even though they won't go so far as to actually give them health insurance.

TNA apparently uses a reimbursement system, which seems like a less good idea, but TNA.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'd replace Barrett and Miz (since this is probably a contract renewal discussion point) with Mysterio.

Hinoarashi fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 15, 2010

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Tyma posted:

I guess for people wrestling 40-minute matches
So people not in WWE :smug:

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Is that who I think it is?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It ... kind of looks like Francine.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Yes, that is Umaga

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man, Marvel Comics is really running out of ideas.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Scott likened Nash in his later WCW days as Poochie from the Simpsons. If Nash was on the screen, everyone would be talking about him; if Nash wasn't on the screen, everyone would ask "where's Nash." Scott was transferring the Poochie moniker from Nash to Taker.

I like being a pedantic dick about wrestling recappers from more than a decade ago.

http://slashwrestling.com/nitro/981207.html

quote:

Let Us Take You Back to Moments Ago. Nash is annoyed, Taylor says there's a match tonight, Nash guarantees the match won't happen and Goldberg better stay focused on him. Goldberg says that not a second goes by that he doesn't DREAM of knocking his rear end to the mat. Hey, he said "rear end" again! Remember Homer's idea to make Itchy & Scratchy better? "When Poochy isn't on the screen, the other characters should be sad, look around, and say 'Where's Poochy?'" KEVIN NASH IS POOCHY!

And now I am ready to kill myself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chilly McFreeze posted:

That's all well and good, but that doesn't really over poo poo like childbirth or your kids' doctor visits or your wife's cancer or whatever.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

That's all well and good, but that doesn't really over poo poo like childbirth or your kids' doctor visits or your wife's cancer or whatever.

Then don't get married! Simple solution.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Timby posted:

It ... kind of looks like Francine.

Probably is.

I'm not a playa I just gently caress a lot.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 15, 2011

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Colon Parenthesis posted:

Does anybody want to watch RAW 1998 with me? :unsmith:

http://www.livestream.com/allahworldsimulator

Hell yeah!

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Hockles posted:

Hell yeah!

My crappy hungarian internet can't do it. :-(

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 15, 2011

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, thanks man.

golden
Jul 28, 2006
yes.
A million times, yes.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I wholeheartedly agree.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I don't really have a question, but in all the threads about how insane and stupid WCW was, I can't believe I've never seen anyone mention Oz. This is on par with the Shocker.

http://dai.ly/bXXGuA

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can anybody remember more than a few face/heel turns over the last few years? It seems like people are just suddenly faces or heels without one big act that signifies the turn. Orton, for instance, started getting cheers and just slowly became a face.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

LividLiquid posted:

Can anybody remember more than a few face/heel turns over the last few years? It seems like people are just suddenly faces or heels without one big act that signifies the turn. Orton, for instance, started getting cheers and just slowly became a face.

Masters and his dancing pecs winning over the hearts and minds of the WWE Universe.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Batista beating the poo poo out of Rey Mysterio comes to mind.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

LividLiquid posted:

I would say Edge attacking the GM computer was a significant event that said "OK, he's a face now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

-Masters (yeah I'm counting that)
-Morrison (turned face by getting attacked by Miz)
-Punk (cashing in on Hardy)
-Edge (laptop)
-Show (punched out Miz)
-Heeltista
-Paul Bearer
-Gabriel technically (CLEARLY face on NXT, shows up with Nexus)
-Bryan, technically (see above)

Those are just off the top of my head, and within like, the past year, year and a half.