Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

qxz9p posted:

...assaulted by a friend...
...punched me in the face completely unprovoked...
...restitution through court could mean he loses his job as a teacher...

Yes, heaven forbid you do anything that prevents this national treasure from being around children.

At the very least, maybe you could contractually obligate him to take an anger management course while you're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

baquerd posted:

...and yes to your second question.

Can you cite that? I don't think I've ever seen somewhere that penalizes someone for attempting to defend themselves by increasing the fine.

Of course, many places try to dissuade you from it by lowering the fine.

qxz9p
Aug 15, 2005

your salmon tastes like happiness

entris posted:

You should have a lawyer draft it up for you, and have your "friend" pay the lawyer fees associated with that as part of the settlement.

Fortunately I'm still really good friends with my ex-girlfriend whose parents are both lawyers, so I may be able to call her and ask if her dad would type something up for me or at least refer me to someone in my area that he trusts.

mboger posted:

Yes, heaven forbid you do anything that prevents this national treasure from being around children.

At the very least, maybe you could contractually obligate him to take an anger management course while you're at it.

I have thought about this. Everyone who was there when this happened has suggested the same thing.

qxz9p fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 15, 2010

qxz9p
Aug 15, 2005

your salmon tastes like happiness
double post

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
I'm in Michigan, I was lit on xanax and got whipped. I did all the field tests good, but the girl I was with was really hosed up, so they took me in for a blood test. They gave me this piece of paper that worked as a license for 10 days. It said I had to go to court within those 10 days.

I called my super expensive lawyer and he managed to get it so I didn't have to go to court within those 10 days. I think I would have lost my driving privileges anyways, but at this point I just want to get it over with. I also had a xanax in my car, which is schedule 4 so I'm not too worried.

How can I get this expedited so I can get my restricted license? I know I am going to lose it for at least a month.

Is it only multiple offenders who have to do that thing where they have to wait a year to go in front of a board to try to get their license back?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Valuum posted:

I'm in Michigan, I was lit on xanax and got whipped. I did all the field tests good, but the girl I was with was really hosed up, so they took me in for a blood test. They gave me this piece of paper that worked as a license for 10 days. It said I had to go to court within those 10 days.

I called my super expensive lawyer and he managed to get it so I didn't have to go to court within those 10 days. I think I would have lost my driving privileges anyways, but at this point I just want to get it over with. I also had a xanax in my car, which is schedule 4 so I'm not too worried.

How can I get this expedited so I can get my restricted license? I know I am going to lose it for at least a month.

Is it only multiple offenders who have to do that thing where they have to wait a year to go in front of a board to try to get their license back?

One of the general rules of this thread is that if you have a lawyer already, that's the person you should direct your questions to.

Also, don't admit to poo poo online like having a Xanax in your car illegally.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Why didn't you ask your lawyer all these questions?

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

eviljelly posted:

Why didn't you ask your lawyer all these questions?

Because his lawyer is "super expensive" and the Internet is free.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Can you cite that? I don't think I've ever seen somewhere that penalizes someone for attempting to defend themselves by increasing the fine.

There probably isn't a cite because penalizing someone for asserting his/her right to trial/due process is illegal.

On the other hand is reality. You will be punished for asserting your rights; how much depends on where you are. Here, motions to suppress are an acceptable impediment to judicial efficiency, but asserting your right to trial is not. If you plead, your sentences run concurrently; if you go to trial, they'll run consecutively.

Valuum, you winner you, unless your super expensive lawyer is an actual expert in Michigan Secretary of State driver's license administrative policies/procedures you need to find a lawyer who is.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

ratbert90 posted:

I have a question that hopefully some of you may have come across.

I live with my fiancée, and she was recently laid off. We have two kids, 13 and 10, boy and a girl that live with us for 267 Days of the year. He gets them every other weekend, and every other week during summer vacation. He is re-maired, lives with his Mother in Law, Two children, One on the way, his Wife, four cats and two Dogs. When the kids are over at his house, they share a room.

The Ex Husband is listed as Joint on the Divorce Decree, and here is where the issues come from.

We pay for Everything. From Food, to School Supplies, to Clothes, to Medical Insurance and drugs. EVERYTHING is paid by us.

I know in the Laws eyes my fiancée is single, but this is really starting to piss me off. He wants to claim one of our kids for tax purposes, and while I hate to admit it, we need some help for a few months so we also need to collect food stamps until we are completely back on our feet. I have a job and make about 1800$ a month. In Boise, this is enough to cover the Rent, Bills, and Gas, but not the food. When we went to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, we found out he is Claiming one of the kids. In the Divorce Decree it says he may do so as he is a joint parent.

At this stage we are fed up with him. He can't hold a job, and hasn't searched for work in at least 3 years, he is a pathological liar, he has no consistent job history to speak of either. Would it be a good idea to file for Primary Custody? I feel that if we provide everything, and he is just using them for a tax writeoff and money, that this seriously needs to be addressed.

Once my fiancée gets back on her feet and her student loans/employment kicks in, we will be at around 4500$ a month and will be just fine and won't need food stamps or any other welfare. But in the meantime, he is being a complete jerk about taking our other kid off of food stamps, so we can get the aid we defiantly do need. Also considering he hasn't paid for anything at all since the divorce, she should be able to claim both for tax purposes, and child support.

Any advice would be welcome!

In Idaho, you must show a substantial, material, and permanent change in circumstances to modify custody. I can give you a referral for a Treasure Valley lawyer.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

joat mon posted:

There probably isn't a cite because penalizing someone for asserting his/her right to trial/due process is illegal.

On the other hand is reality. You will be punished for asserting your rights; how much depends on where you are. Here, motions to suppress are an acceptable impediment to judicial efficiency, but asserting your right to trial is not. If you plead, your sentences run concurrently; if you go to trial, they'll run consecutively.

But we were talking about speeding tickets. I have never heard of a traffic court that raises the listed fine for any reason. It's a pretty common misconception people have about traffic court.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

But we were talking about speeding tickets. I have never heard of a traffic court that raises the listed fine for any reason. It's a pretty common misconception people have about traffic court.

Actually, his second question wasn't about increasing his potential punishment. Reread it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

They might not raise the listed fine, but if you decide to fight, you're probably going to have to pay more court costs. While the distinction is important from a legal standpoint, it doesn't matter all that much if you're a person trying to figure out whether you want fight a ticket. If you fight and lose, you lose more money than if you just paid up to begin with.

aslewofmice
Dec 22, 2003

Incredulous Red posted:

Actually, his second question wasn't about increasing his potential punishment. Reread it.

ABombInABowl posted:

- I don't really have any defense, could I just be up front and try and plea bargain down to a parking ticket violation. (My only other speeding ticket was 9 years ago)

Yea, this is actually the question I'm most concerned about. As for higher court fees, that's fine as I'm willing to chalk it up as a learning experience.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Space Gopher posted:

They might not raise the listed fine, but if you decide to fight, you're probably going to have to pay more court costs. While the distinction is important from a legal standpoint, it doesn't matter all that much if you're a person trying to figure out whether you want fight a ticket. If you fight and lose, you lose more money than if you just paid up to begin with.

Exactly, his overall "fine" from his perspective is (odds-wise) overwhelmingly going to increased by fighting it for no good reason if the cop does show up.

And no, you are likely not going to be able to plead it down. If the cop shows, he may still have personal notes regarding the nature of the incident and he will be pissed if so. In smaller communities as a practical matter, pissing off a cop is a Bad Idea.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 16, 2010

zero0ne
Jul 20, 2007
Zero to the O N E
The company I work for in NY is starting to impose strict drug testing guidelines that includes oral swabs taken by a "Trained" HR employee. (By trained I mean watch a video and take a multiple choice exam).

Is there any recourse to refuse the swabs and specifically ask for a piss test at a qualified test facility like Quest?

Also, along with the drug testing policies, they are now asking us for our SSN's and driver license numbers to start pulling credit and driving history.

What type of recourse is there if a bad driving record or bad credit score causes them to terminate me? I know HR is saying that isn't why they are pulling the information, but it makes no sense why a company I am already employed by would want to pull my credit history. (note I am in IT, not driving around or in any financial type of position).

Thanks!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zero0ne posted:

The company I work for in NY is starting to impose strict drug testing guidelines that includes oral swabs taken by a "Trained" HR employee. (By trained I mean watch a video and take a multiple choice exam).

Is there any recourse to refuse the swabs and specifically ask for a piss test at a qualified test facility like Quest?

Also, along with the drug testing policies, they are now asking us for our SSN's and driver license numbers to start pulling credit and driving history.

What type of recourse is there if a bad driving record or bad credit score causes them to terminate me? I know HR is saying that isn't why they are pulling the information, but it makes no sense why a company I am already employed by would want to pull my credit history. (note I am in IT, not driving around or in any financial type of position).

No recourse for drug testing except to try to work it out with them, it's not an illegal qualification for employment and they are free to implement it how they choose.

How did you not already give them your SSN? That's required for tax reporting purposes.

Could your job potentially involve driving? It doesn't make sense they would want this information unless it could or perhaps for health insurance purposes to negotiate group packages.

Depending on your location, you may have no recourse if they fire you due to credit score or driving record, as long as the policy is non-discriminatory towards the protected classes of people.

zero0ne
Jul 20, 2007
Zero to the O N E
Thanks for the quick info baquerd.

Now if they decided to fire someone after a credit check or driving record, would they be able to successfully deny you unemployment?

I just don't get how companies can use that as a factor in the hiring process... I mean if you have bad credit and are looking for a job, that job is going to help you increase your credit rating, usually.

Also, it is update NY (not NYC)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ABombInABowl posted:

Yea, this is actually the question I'm most concerned about. As for higher court fees, that's fine as I'm willing to chalk it up as a learning experience.

I figured it was. I have yet to see a place where they increase the fine for an unsuccessful defense.

I have *heard* of them adding on court costs and also have *heard* of the judge adjusting the ticket upward from the testimony of the officer that he wrote down the infraction. I've yet to see this cited anywhere.

Again, what I have seen is a reduced fine (removal of "court costs" or other wording) for just paying the ticket (or whatever deferred type thing they have) but never an actual increase of the fine or court costs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I figured it was. I have yet to see a place where they increase the fine for an unsuccessful defense.

I have *heard* of them adding on court costs and also have *heard* of the judge adjusting the ticket upward from the testimony of the officer that he wrote down the infraction. I've yet to see this cited anywhere.

Again, what I have seen is a reduced fine (removal of "court costs" or other wording) for just paying the ticket (or whatever deferred type thing they have) but never an actual increase of the fine or court costs.

Well you won't get a decrease in fine as credit for a guilty plea so in relative terms your penalty will always go up for an unsuccessful defense.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Well you won't get a decrease in fine as credit for a guilty plea

In my jurisdiction you can, for minor traffic offenses.

In Hennepin County, Minnesota, they have hearing officers you can go talk to. Almost everyone who takes the time to do this gets a deal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

eviljelly posted:

In my jurisdiction you can, for minor traffic offenses.

In Hennepin County, Minnesota, they have hearing officers you can go talk to. Almost everyone who takes the time to do this gets a deal.

Ah, no, I phrased it badly, that's what I meant in context of what he said.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
ABombInABowl: Regardless of what is possible or probable elsewhere, I have seen absolutely nothing that indicates a traffic court in california will add on to the original fine (the one you would have paid if you plead guilty at arraignment) should you be found guilty.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

joat mon posted:

Valuum, you winner you, unless your super expensive lawyer is an actual expert in Michigan Secretary of State driver's license administrative policies/procedures you need to find a lawyer who is.

You don't have to be a jerk. The lawyer is an excellent drug lawyer and the best in Mid-Michigan. Sorry I was worried and thought I would ask a question in the legal question thread.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

The Valuum posted:

You don't have to be a jerk. The lawyer is an excellent drug lawyer and the best in Mid-Michigan. Sorry I was worried and thought I would ask a question in the legal question thread.

But we do have to be jerks. It is in our nature. Because we are *lawyers*...

Incidentally, in my midwestern state, if you contest a ticket and lose, you will pay a lot more. Cheers!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

eviljelly posted:

That's because in MN you retain all your rights for petty misdemeanors (aka traffic tickets) except jury and public defender.
This means you can demand a real judge (they won't offer it, but you can) and the reasonable doubt standard. The city will have to put up a real lawyer to try the case. People actually win traffic court cases in MN. They will give away the farm in Hennepin (well, at least the Minneapolis court) and to a lesser extent Ramsey. The suburbs are less generous.
Don't settle for less than a continuance without plea or stay of adjudication in Minneapolis or St. Paul for a "normal" traffic ticket.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Solomon Grundy posted:

Incidentally, in my midwestern state, if you contest a ticket and lose, you will pay a lot more. Cheers!

Not true in California, but with a fixit ticket your fine is severely reduced if you fix the issue and have the CHP inspect it and sign off on your ticket. Plus then you don't have to pay court costs. Otherwise, with general traffic infractions, you lose nothing by contesting, and in fact you should contest.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
I rented a space in a parking lot in September. Very low-key deal -- I gave the lady a check, she gave me a sticker, no contract signed. She told me that my check paid for the month of September, and if I wanted to renew I'd have to send a new check. If I didn't send a new check, she'd assume I wasn't renewing and give the spot to someone else. I never renewed and I stopped using the lot in September.

Today I get a letter, which basically said: "You haven't payed for these past three months, and you have to notify us in writing if you're canceling. So you owe us $280."

I'm going to call her tomorrow in an attempt to straighten this out. But if she refuses to see reason, is this even worth lawyering up?

I'm in Pittsburgh PA if it's relevant, thanks in advance :)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No written contract means your word vs hers, and I doubt anyone will believe that a verbal contract would include a term that cancellation should be in writing when the contract itself isn't important enough to be in writing. It probably isn't worth lawyering up.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

In michigan can doctors give out information on when you had appointments outside of being subpoenaed?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

wigtrade.cc posted:

In michigan can doctors give out information on when you had appointments outside of being subpoenaed?

Not a lawyer, but HIPAA trained. Information is at the federal level.

If it falls under the three areas of Payment, Treatment or Operations, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Examples:

If you are referred to a specialist for a toe problem, the specialist can obtain information about previous visits for the same problem from your other doctors.

Insurance companies can obtain information about your visits so that they can pay out your claims.

If your mom calls your doctor and asks if you've been there recently (and you are over the age of 18, and she is not the person paying for your treatment), then no they can not release that information.

If you think your privacy rights have been violated, information on filing a complaint is here:
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

Punishment for violating your privacy rights is pretty limited and in most cases, if your information was shared inappropriately, the only thing that would happen would be that the person who released the information would be reprimanded/fired or the clinic/company would be fined a nominal amount. It would take releasing information on a hugely negligent and significant scale to see any significant fines from HHS.

Edit: I should also add that some information can be released with implied consent in emergency situations. For example, if you are unconscious because you were in a car accident, then it is implied that doctors can contact your next of kin/provide basic updates. There's a lot of "let's just use common sense" involved in privacy rights and release of information.

vanessa fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 17, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Solomon Grundy posted:

I'm genuinely interested in hearing more about this. Like I have said, I have seen/heard people say this but it's usually hearsay. If there's actually somewhere that does this I will stop telling people it's pretty much their duty to defend themselves against absurd traffic fines.

chinchilla posted:

I rented a space in a parking lot in September. Very low-key deal -- I gave the lady a check, she gave me a sticker, no contract signed. She told me that my check paid for the month of September, and if I wanted to renew I'd have to send a new check. If I didn't send a new check, she'd assume I wasn't renewing and give the spot to someone else. I never renewed and I stopped using the lot in September.

Today I get a letter, which basically said: "You haven't payed for these past three months, and you have to notify us in writing if you're canceling. So you owe us $280."

I'm going to call her tomorrow in an attempt to straighten this out. But if she refuses to see reason, is this even worth lawyering up?

I'm in Pittsburgh PA if it's relevant, thanks in advance :)

Is the letter from the person you wrote the check to or a collection agency/lawyer?

Either way, familiarize yourself with your and everyone elses best friend and first line of defense against bullshit:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/legal/FDCPA.shtml#809

They have a sample letter but I am not saying it is what you should use:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml

Both times I have sent a letter which simply cited the law and asked for the information the law requires I never heard from the agency/person again.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

The Valuum posted:

The lawyer is an excellent drug lawyer and the best in Mid-Michigan.

The best in Mid-Michigan? I can certainly name a few people who'd be likely to consider themselves "the best," though it's a decidedly subjective field.

Great big internet, small small world.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Alaemon posted:

The best in Mid-Michigan? I can certainly name a few people who'd be likely to consider themselves "the best," though it's a decidedly subjective field.

Great big internet, small small world.

I'm trying to figure out who this is too.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Feces Starship posted:

I'm trying to figure out who this is too.

I'm not taking a stance as to where they fall on the "best" criteria, but my brain immediately went to a couple of attorneys I know who are really working the medical marijuana field -- I think both are a little more down the Wayne County-ish way to qualify. They've both appeared in front of my judge, though, so they've at least been in the area.

aslewofmice
Dec 22, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

ABombInABowl: Regardless of what is possible or probable elsewhere, I have seen absolutely nothing that indicates a traffic court in california will add on to the original fine (the one you would have paid if you plead guilty at arraignment) should you be found guilty.

Indeed this was the case.

My cop did show up (in fact, he had an entire courtroom assigned to his cases; 9+ people :arghfist:) and I lost. I was denied any possibility to plea bargain but I only have to pay the same fine that I would have had to in the first place and I was still given the opportunity to go to traffic school to erase the points. So after all of this, I was only out my time, and ended up paying the same amount I would have had to paid in the first place.

Seeing as how at least 50% of the officers didn't show up, it's probably worth it if you can afford to put the time into appearing in court.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ABombInABowl posted:

Indeed this was the case.

My cop did show up (in fact, he had an entire courtroom assigned to his cases; 9+ people :arghfist:) and I lost. I was denied any possibility to plea bargain but I only have to pay the same fine that I would have had to in the first place and I was still given the opportunity to go to traffic school to erase the points. So after all of this, I was only out my time, and ended up paying the same amount I would have had to paid in the first place.

Seeing as how at least 50% of the officers didn't show up, it's probably worth it if you can afford to put the time into appearing in court.

Next time, ask for a continuance. Most courts schedule it like that, but they will give you one continuance if you ask. For my ticket I got it changed from 2 PM on a Tuesday to 9 AM on a Thursday, and the cop didn't show.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I live in Ohio, and I've been working as a pizza delivery driver. Last Wednesday night we were hit with a heavy blizzard, and I was working day shift on Thursday. We have two new hires that I have been training, so one of them was with me that day. Despite the weather conditions (even the main roads were still covered in snow and ice, schools were closed and a Level 1 emergency was declared,) our regional manager demanded that we still make deliveries. I didn't have a problem with it - I had a clean driving record and am no stranger to winter driving. So I was trundling along with the new guy at around 25 mph when I hit a patch of black ice, and then a tree. The impact was enough to tear into my engine, but not enough to trigger the airbags.

We use our own cars, so mine is currently out of commission and probably totaled. I'm fine and the new guy is fine. After the accident, our regional manager tried to coerce our store manager into driving instead, but she called him out and he then canceled deliveries for the rest of the day.

The company is comping me for lost time, but my question is whether or not I can expect to make the regional manager pay me for repairs or a new vehicle. In my mind, he knowingly sent myself and the new hire into adverse conditions, which he later acknowledged were dangerous enough to cancel deliveries over. Would I be solid in that, or did I screw myself over by deciding to deliver in those conditions anyway?

Again, I'm not interested in getting money from the company, just the man. I'm okay and my passenger is okay, but my car is in horrible shape. My car is also insured, and I'm not being cited, if either of those matter.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Ximum posted:

I live in Ohio, and I've been working as a pizza delivery driver. Last Wednesday night we were hit with a heavy blizzard, and I was working day shift on Thursday. We have two new hires that I have been training, so one of them was with me that day. Despite the weather conditions (even the main roads were still covered in snow and ice, schools were closed and a Level 1 emergency was declared,) our regional manager demanded that we still make deliveries. I didn't have a problem with it - I had a clean driving record and am no stranger to winter driving. So I was trundling along with the new guy at around 25 mph when I hit a patch of black ice, and then a tree. The impact was enough to tear into my engine, but not enough to trigger the airbags.

We use our own cars, so mine is currently out of commission and probably totaled. I'm fine and the new guy is fine. After the accident, our regional manager tried to coerce our store manager into driving instead, but she called him out and he then canceled deliveries for the rest of the day.

The company is comping me for lost time, but my question is whether or not I can expect to make the regional manager pay me for repairs or a new vehicle. In my mind, he knowingly sent myself and the new hire into adverse conditions, which he later acknowledged were dangerous enough to cancel deliveries over. Would I be solid in that, or did I screw myself over by deciding to deliver in those conditions anyway?

Again, I'm not interested in getting money from the company, just the man. I'm okay and my passenger is okay, but my car is in horrible shape. My car is also insured, and I'm not being cited, if either of those matter.

There is no realistic prospect for holding a manager personally liable for a business decision under current Ohio law given the circumstances you describe. Your bigger problem may be insurance. Are you an employee, or an independent contractor? Does the pizza place have insurance for you, or are you relying on your personal policy? If you are relying on your personal policy, be aware that it very likely has a clause that disqualifies you for coverage if you were using your vehicle for a business purpose. So if you haven't mentioned to your insurance company that you were driving for business, don't volunteer that information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Solomon Grundy posted:

There is no realistic prospect for holding a manager personally liable for a business decision under current Ohio law given the circumstances you describe. Your bigger problem may be insurance. Are you an employee, or an independent contractor? Does the pizza place have insurance for you, or are you relying on your personal policy? If you are relying on your personal policy, be aware that it very likely has a clause that disqualifies you for coverage if you were using your vehicle for a business purpose. So if you haven't mentioned to your insurance company that you were driving for business, don't volunteer that information.

Um, maybe the US has different rules over contracts of the upmost fidelity but did you just suggest that he commit insurance fraud?