Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

doctor thodt posted:

The Digital Bits suggests that we may see an extended cut of 2001: A Space Odyssey next year:

If you're buying The A-Team, get it at Target. It's $22.99 now, but it'll be $14.99 the week of the 26th and you can just get it price-adjusted then.

Good find. Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm kind of wary of the idea of an extended cut of a Kubrick film.

However, this was a fun read about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)

quote:

Kubrick filmed several scenes that were deleted from the final film. These include a schoolroom on the moon base—a painting class that included Kubrick's daughters, additional scenes of life on the base, Floyd buying a bush baby from a department store via videophone for his daughter, details about the daily life on Discovery, additional space walks, astronaut Bowman retrieving a spare part from an octagonal corridor, a number of cuts from the Poole murder sequence including the entire space walk preparation and shots of HAL turning off radio contact with Poole—explaining the non sequitur of HAL's response to Bowman's question, and notably a close-up shot of Bowman picking up a slipper during his walk in the alien room—the slipper can still be seen behind him in what was then the next shot[85]. The most notable cut was a 10-minute black-and-white opening sequence featuring interviews with actual scientists, including Freeman Dyson,[86] discussing extraterrestrial life, which Kubrick removed after an early screening for MGM executives. The actual text survives in the book The Making of Kubrick's 2001 by Jerome Agel[87]. If the music intro and outro are included, 29 minutes of film have been excised from the theatrical version.[88] Kubrick's rationale for editing the film was to tighten the narrative; reviews suggested the film suffered too much by the radical departure from traditional cinema story telling conventions. Regarding the cuts, Kubrick stated; "I didn't believe that the trims made a critical difference. [...] The people who like it, like it no matter what its length, and the same holds true for the people who hate it".

According to Kubrick biographer Jan Harlan, the director was adamant the trims were never to be seen, and that he "even burned the negatives"—which he had kept in his garage—shortly before his death. This is confirmed by former Kubrick assistant Leon Vitalli, "I'll tell you right now, okay, on Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Barry Lyndon, some little parts of 2001, we had thousands of cans of negative outtakes and print, which we had stored in an area at his house where we worked out of, which he personally supervised the loading of it to a truck and then I went down to a big industrial waste lot and burned it. That's what he wanted."[89]

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 14, 2010

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
17 minutes of 2001 is like 30 seconds of a normal movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm a little confused by the wikipedia article. Kubrick destroyed the deleted footage, therefore he wants the theatrical cut to be the only cut? Or does he not really care about whether the deleted footage was deleted or not, and it's the same either way to him?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The American reviewed
Restrepo reviewed (everyone should own this)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is estimated for a March release.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

doctor thodt posted:

My friend just got done telling me about this film not two hours ago. I'm really interested in picking this one up now!

Thanks Doc!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The deleted scenes have been known to exist for decades. No one just "stumbled" onto them. However, they're supposed to exist only as 65mm B&W color separations. Only with today's technology can the footage be scanned and re-combined into full color at a reasonable cost and effort.

Given that Kubrick was fine with The Shining existing as both the full-length American and trimmed European cuts, I'd imagine it's not heresy to make both versions available on video. The big question is whether the full 6-track soundtrack exists for the deleted scenes, which probably isn't the case.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
TRUE muthafuckin GRIT :clint:

Yeah, it's not as awe-inspiring as some of the blu-ray releases of westerns/old movies/etc. have been. But this is a big-rear end step up from the DVD. And $15 is a sweet price.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

If anyone comes here looking for an answer, LG did get back to me and they are working on a firmware update for the Inception blu

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
January 11

quote:

* Two audio commentaries:
- David Fincher
- Writer Aaron Sorkin and cast
* How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook?: a feature-length documentary in four parts
* David Fincher and Jeff Cronenweth on the Visuals
* Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter and Ren Klyce on Post
* Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and David Fincher on the Score
* Ruby Skye VIP Room: Multi-Angle Scene Breakdown
* In the Hall of the Mountain King: Reznor's First Draft
* Swarmatron
Two commentaries and a feature-length doc. Why is there not a drooling smiley?

The Venture Bros. Season 4 is coming March 22

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bambi posted:

January 11

That's some aggressive text placement.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Heat dropped down to $6.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017HRJ04?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0017HRJ04

morestuff posted:

It still sad how many people think "a movie about Facebook...*raspberry* stupid"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

doctor thodt posted:

I do not understand the near universal praise/love for this movie. The editing, cinematography, and storytelling are all mediocre at best. None of the 'characters' are particularly fascinating and the story itself does not seem important enough to be lauded this much.

The fact that this is being held up as a brilliant piece of wartime storytelling and things like Gen Kill (which is fictional, but based on actual events/characters) are largely overlooked is criminal.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

William Pahllace posted:

My friend just got done telling me about this film not two hours ago. I'm really interested in picking this one up now!

Thanks Doc!

It's in HD on Netflix Instant Watch as well if anyone wants to watch it before they pick it up

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bambi posted:

January 11

I really really like this cover for some reason.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

morestuff posted:

I think it's an incredible box, including the text. It contributes to the Facebook aesthetic.

And it's perfectly aligned with the title. That's not accidental.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I know a couple of people who will be happy about this.

http://www.amazon.com/Carnival-Magi...ASIN=B004FZAYHK

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Criterion Blu-Rays for March:
Au Revoir les Enfants
The Mikado
The Times of Harvey Milk
Topsy-Turvy
Yi Yi

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I have a question that's hopefully alright for this thread:

I preordered the UK steelbook version of Scott Pilgrim. Do I need to worry about customs when it finally gets shipped (I'm in the US)?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Pizza Club posted:

I have a question that's hopefully alright for this thread:

I preordered the UK steelbook version of Scott Pilgrim. Do I need to worry about customs when it finally gets shipped (I'm in the US)?

No, typically not for a small order like that.

MGM is releasing Thelma & Louise on Feb. 8

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Almost Famous (Bootleg Cut) is being released in the States as a Best Buy exclusive on January 30.

edit: Last Tango In Paris (uncut) 2/15
King of Kings 3/29

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 16, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

King of Kings 3/29

This is the underrated Nicholas Ray film. Great cast, great script, and it's beautifully photographed. It was shot in Technirama and even the DVD edition looks stunning. Worth seeing if just for the camera work and cast (which includes Robert Ryan as John the Baptist and Rip Torn as Judas).

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews21/king_of_kings_dvd_review.htm

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Awwwwww yeah son:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Dancing Peasant posted:

Awwwwww yeah son:

Oh, poo poo. I'm guessing you live in the US? I do and amazon.co.uk says it'll arrive after January 5th. But then again, I got Band of Brothers like 2 weeks earlier than the estimated delivery, so.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Dancing Peasant posted:

Awwwwww yeah son:

Ha, I got mine yesterday. It's sweet as hell but I don't think all that much of the supplemental comic.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

pissedoffcrawdad posted:

I'm in the exact same position. It's completely ridiculous at this point. I actually ordered them on Amazon while they were on sale and canceled the Deep Discount order, but DD shipped out and charged me for season 1 a couple days later anyway. So right now, I can't cancel any further, but they still show up as on an open order.

I sold season 1 to my parents, since I had a copy from each retailer, but I have no idea if/when season 2 will ship. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend Deep Discount under any circumstances. I'd like to hear if they get back to you, though; the one email I got on the problem was an automated one saying "your item is backordered" a month after I'd placed my order.

I have good news! It looks like I have finally been charged for Breaking Bad Season 2. Hopefully it will arrive soon and my dealings with Deep Discount will be over.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

doctor thodt posted:

Getting this for Christmas. The wait is borderline impossible. It sounds like such an incredible film. The Blu-Ray seems very well done.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

"Arts Alliance" is releasing the classic noirs Kansas City Confidential and The Stranger in February.

I think I'll hold on to my DVDs until I see some reviews.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

"Arts Alliance" is releasing the classic noirs Kansas City Confidential and The Stranger in February.

I have no idea why, but up until now I thought The Stranger was based on the Camus novel. I always wondered how they could possibly have adapted that one.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Legs Benedict posted:

Oh, poo poo. I'm guessing you live in the US? I do and amazon.co.uk says it'll arrive after January 5th. But then again, I got Band of Brothers like 2 weeks earlier than the estimated delivery, so.

Yeah I'm in the US. I got a bit impatient and just got my shipping expedited. I honestly don't mind if it's something like this.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Dancing Peasant posted:

Yeah I'm in the US. I got a bit impatient and just got my shipping expedited. I honestly don't mind if it's something like this.

oh man, I got all excited thinking my copy from amazon.co.uk would show up soon. Guess I've probably got another two weeks of waiting. dag nabbit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, the rights in the US are held by MGM/Fox, even though it's in the public domain. Given the atrocity Gulliver's Travels turned out, I would expect a VHS to be uprezzed to 1080i with buckets of DVNR added.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Sure it's HD! Do you see any grain?"

MicMacs, this had a showing here that I missed, glad the BD's good.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

MicMacs, this had a showing here that I missed, glad the BD's good.

Film of the Year, hands down.

Which begs the question, why can I not get a U.S. release of A Very Long Engagement and Amelie?!

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 16, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

morestuff posted:

I have no idea why, but up until now I thought The Stranger was based on the Camus novel. I always wondered how they could possibly have adapted that one.

Actually, there's a Luchino Visconti adaptation of the Camus novel with Marcello Mastroianni. I haven't seen, but my friend wasn't so hot on it - granted, from the perspective of an unabashed Camus fanboy, whereas I'd be going at it as a Visconti fanboy. His gay Marxist melodrama gets me all a-flutter :allears:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Black Pirate reviewed
Vampire Circus reviewed

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

zenintrude posted:

I do not understand the near universal praise/love for this movie. The editing, cinematography, and storytelling are all mediocre at best. None of the 'characters' are particularly fascinating and the story itself does not seem important enough to be lauded this much.

The fact that this is being held up as a brilliant piece of wartime storytelling and things like Gen Kill (which is fictional, but based on actual events/characters) are largely overlooked is criminal.

This isn't really a movie review thread, but I can't disagree with this guy more. Comparing Restrepo to Generation Kill (which is quite good, don't get me wrong) is ridiculous. Restrepo was filmed in a real combat zone while the director was being shot at. It's is a film about real people in a terrible situation, not composite characters with witty dialogue.

The scene where the soldiers learn that their friend has been killed in the middle of a firefight is one of most intense things I've ever seen on film. Certainly more so than any manufactured death scene in a regular war movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
3 preorders just popped up on Amazon for $13.99

Thelma & Louise (20th Anniversary)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGQMTW?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GGQMTW

Last Tango In Paris

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGQN1E?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GGQN1E

King Of Kings

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GJYR8W?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GJYR8W

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just pre-ordered King of Kings. $14 is a steal for a film that will undoubtedly have a stunning HD remaster from Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody looking to pick up The Town today can grab the single-disc Best Buy exclusive for $15.99
(edit: Just found out the single-disc version only contains the theatrical cut, whereas the combo pack also includes an extended cut)

Rain Man is coming 2/15

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 17, 2010

• Locked thread