Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

SWATJester posted:

Let's say I have hypothetically decided that my JD is useless and that I don't want a career in law. And then lets further say I decide to go back to grad school. If I was going to do that, what areas of study actually lead to viable, interesting careers that are not dead-end hellhole shittraps like law?

As far as professional schools go medicine owns pretty hard, but it's 4 years of school plus at least 3 years of residency before you are done. On the other hand, you are essentially guaranteed an interesting and well-paying career. Pharmacy is 4 years of school but is starting to have the same sorts of problems that law is currently having due to an abundance of new pharmacy schools. Dentistry is an attractive option since you can do 4 years of school and be done but....well, teeth.

If you don't want to go to professional school then I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Der Meister posted:

As far as professional schools go medicine owns pretty hard, but it's 4 years of school plus at least 3 years of residency before you are done. On the other hand, you are essentially guaranteed an interesting and well-paying career. Pharmacy is 4 years of school but is starting to have the same sorts of problems that law is currently having due to an abundance of new pharmacy schools. Dentistry is an attractive option since you can do 4 years of school and be done but....well, teeth.

If you don't want to go to professional school then I have no idea.

Don't you have to have a whole bunch of qualifications before you even get admitted to med school though? Like undergrad courses or something I dunno. Or is it like law where you can just* take the MCAT and hope you do well?

*by "just" I don't mean to imply that the MCAT is as easy to do passingly well on as the LSAT

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Defleshed posted:

VVVV - Yeah I guess I should mention that it took me 1.5 years of trying in order to get selected, and people in my entering course are West Point Grads and polyglots and former Foreign Service People and all kinds of interesting and they are coming from law schools like Harvard, UCLA, Michigan, Columbia, et. al... just under 6% of applicants were selected last time around. So it is not a "well I guess I'll fall back on this" type of thing like it used to be. That said, as a 2009 grad from a mid 70's ranked law school I had a much higher chance of becoming an Army JAG than I ever did of working for a big firm.

As a 1L at a T14, is it very beneficial to look into JAG 1L summer programs?

If I do 1L and 2L summers with JAG, am I putting too many eggs in one basket by forsaking other opportunities, or is it a significant enough boost to my chances that it's worth it?

(Assuming JAG is my first choice of careers, that is)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Ainsley McTree posted:

Don't you have to have a whole bunch of qualifications before you even get admitted to med school though? Like undergrad courses or something I dunno. Or is it like law where you can just* take the MCAT and hope you do well?

*by "just" I don't mean to imply that the MCAT is as easy to do passingly well on as the LSAT
Nope. Since everyone gets jobs rankings don't matter as much and so schools don't need to slavishly game their numbers. The MCAT is a barrier to entry but not a ticket. Soft factors like recommendations are a much bigger factor than they are in law school.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elotana posted:

Nope. Since everyone gets jobs rankings don't matter as much and so schools don't need to slavishly game their numbers. The MCAT is a barrier to entry but not a ticket. Soft factors like recommendations are a much bigger factor than they are in law school.

That's too bad. I can't think of anyone who could recommend that I'd be a doctor. Maybe my mom or something but she still thinks I'm going to be a lawyer, so what does she know

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

To have a shot you need to complete the prerequisite science courses (2 years biology, 2 years chemistry, 1 year physics, 1 semester calculus, some other crap), do ok on the MCAT, get 4 letters of recommendation and not show up to your interviews looking like a goon. Getting letters of recommendation would probably be easier than you think. The whole process usually takes at least 2-3 years.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

poofactory posted:

Anyone here do consumer bankruptcies? What are the fees like? Are the clients as needy as divorce clients?

In Dallas it's 1500-1700 for a chapter 7 & ~2300 for a chapter 13 + any legal fees on the back end.

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010
Hi!

I love this thread. Love it. I've referred two of my friends here when they got it in their heads to go to law school, and well, unfortunately it didn't sway them but I can't say I didn't try.

I am also a lawyer, 2007 grad and currently working for the federal government, and happy to lend my perspective if anyone needs it.

I also am seriously, seriously considering joining the AF JAG reserves, and so I'm in the unique position of both needing and able to give advice.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Yes, Army only and just recently instituted.

I don't know about that, because I'm pretty sure Air Force had a similar bonus system. Something to do with signing for a second term after the initial one ended.

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010
Does anyone have experience with the Air Force JAG Reserves?

This is the program I am talking about : http://jagrecruiting.law.af.mil/

The essentials about me: I'm 28, 5'11'' and 228 lbs. I've had a desire to join the military for a long time, but the reasons that it never came to be are not relevant at the moment. I've been reading about the program I linked for some time and I believe it's a good fit for me. The problem is that I have not been able to get a perspective from someone with experience as a JAG Reservist.

So if I can pick anyone's brain on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Defleshed posted:

Yes, Army only and just recently instituted.

A friend of mine in Air Force JAG just got the 60k bonus, so it's definitely not Army-only.

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010

Draile posted:

A friend of mine in Air Force JAG just got the 60k bonus, so it's definitely not Army-only.

Sorry for being a johnny-come-lately, but are you talking about a straight signing bonus or the retention bonuses that are paid later in a career?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

itsmelen posted:

Hi!

I love this thread. Love it. I've referred two of my friends here when they got it in their heads to go to law school, and well, unfortunately it didn't sway them but I can't say I didn't try.

I am also a lawyer, 2007 grad and currently working for the federal government, and happy to lend my perspective if anyone needs it.

I also am seriously, seriously considering joining the AF JAG reserves, and so I'm in the unique position of both needing and able to give advice.

Do you live in DC? If so, do you have any suggestions on where I should live for a summer internship?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

itsmelen posted:

Sorry for being a johnny-come-lately, but are you talking about a straight signing bonus or the retention bonuses that are paid later in a career?

I believe it was structured as a signing bonus, but I am not the JAG so I'm only relating secondhand information. In any case my friend only has been in a year and a commitment is for four, so it's definitely not a retention bonus.

I think what happened was my friend began as a JAG, then a couple months later the Air Force announced a signing bonus and then made it retroactive to the most recent incoming class.

(Also, I think the bonus may be in the form of student loan relief, and not cash)

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010

Tetrix posted:

Do you live in DC? If so, do you have any suggestions on where I should live for a summer internship?

I live in Philadelphia, but funny enough my girlfriend lives in DC and so I spend an awful lot of time down there. I'm actually hoping to move there in the springtime, when the CR is hopefully all resolved and there is more internal movement again.

Where would you be working? Near the Federal Triangle? I would recommend - if you can afford it - living along the Red Line between Farragut North and Van Ness. If it's in the summer you can walk from the Metro Center stop, or you can switch there and take it one more stop to FT.

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010

Draile posted:

I believe it was structured as a signing bonus, but I am not the JAG so I'm only relating secondhand information. In any case my friend only has been in a year and a commitment is for four, so it's definitely not a retention bonus.

I think what happened was my friend began as a JAG, then a couple months later the Air Force announced a signing bonus and then made it retroactive to the most recent incoming class.

(Also, I think the bonus may be in the form of student loan relief, and not cash)

Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know if there are any bonuses for reservists? Not that I'm in it for the money but it would be nice.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I'm trying to work for the feds... any advice?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

billion dollar bitch posted:

In what capacity?

It will probably be incredibly competitive regardless.

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010

You need to give more details. Are you in law school? A 0L? Looking to lateral?

The short answer to all three scenarios is that it is very difficult to get a job with the federal government.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

itsmelen posted:

I live in Philadelphia, but funny enough my girlfriend lives in DC and so I spend an awful lot of time down there. I'm actually hoping to move there in the springtime,

I live in Philly, can I have your job when you go?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

HooKars posted:

I live in Philly, can I have your job when you go?
And then I can take your job

musical chairs~~~~

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Sorry. 2L at Columbia, have decent but not stellar grades (I think I'm between top 50th and top 65th percentile; there's an upward trend, if that matters), internship with Bronx D.A., current internship with Manhattan criminal court judge, strong focus on statutory interpretation and admin law (taken environmental, legislation, legal interpretation, and of course legal methods), semester of clinic, semester of non law-review journal. No moot court beyond Foundation, which everyone does, and no Law Review...

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Sorry. 2L at Columbia, have decent but not stellar grades (I think I'm between top 50th and top 65th percentile; there's an upward trend, if that matters), internship with Bronx D.A., current internship with Manhattan criminal court judge, strong focus on statutory interpretation and admin law (taken environmental, legislation, legal interpretation, and of course legal methods), semester of clinic, semester of non law-review journal. No moot court beyond Foundation, which everyone does, and no Law Review...

also he doesn't wear a coat in the wintertime so you know he's ~*~TRILL~*~

EDIT: he also flashed me gang signs in the hallway one time non sequitur and it looked natural

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Anyone got anything good on State and Local Govt Law? Test will be about "finance, sunshine laws, and federalism." This is the one class I actually went to every day this year so I feel pretty decent, but could use something else to look at if anyone's got something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my first final is in 7 hours and I've barely studied for it, my studying was a single read-through of the textbook

this should be fun

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evilweasel posted:

my first final is in 7 hours and I've barely studied for it, my studying was a single read-through of the textbook

this should be fun

B+

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Lilosh posted:

As a 1L at a T14, is it very beneficial to look into JAG 1L summer programs?

If I do 1L and 2L summers with JAG, am I putting too many eggs in one basket by forsaking other opportunities, or is it a significant enough boost to my chances that it's worth it?

(Assuming JAG is my first choice of careers, that is)

Doing the summer program is a great way to make yourself more attractive to the selection boards if you don't have any prior military experience. I had two friends who did it their 2L summers. One had a great experience and is now an Army JAG, and the other did not seem to like it very much, however she now works for a firm so it doesn't seem to have ruined her chances at doing something else.

As far as the 60K, at least for Army, it is brand new and is in the form of student loan relief. The other branches may be offering something similar and if they are it is also pretty new. The only other forms of bonuses (bonii?) would be for re-committing to another four or six years after your initial service commitment and every branch (as far as I know) pays something for that and it is usually straight up cash and not a student loan repayment.

itsmelen posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Air Force JAG Reserves?

This is the program I am talking about : http://jagrecruiting.law.af.mil/

The essentials about me: I'm 28, 5'11'' and 228 lbs. I've had a desire to join the military for a long time, but the reasons that it never came to be are not relevant at the moment. I've been reading about the program I linked for some time and I believe it's a good fit for me. The problem is that I have not been able to get a perspective from someone with experience as a JAG Reservist.

I am currently an Army Reservist so I can probably answer some non Air Force specific questions. 5'11" and 228 is uhh pretty stocky you're definitely going to have to get within height/weight standards to be a serious candidate. Probably about 30 pounds just to get you near the upper limit, so if you're serious about applying I would get to work on that asap. Other than that being accepted takes a lot of perseverance and re-applying (at least in the case of me and just about everyone else I know)

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 16, 2010

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

(disclaimer: also a 2L who got a fed. gig for next summer, and I've been to every program my school offers for fed. government)

The two biggest things I've found are:

1. Get good grades.

2. Have a good story for the SPECIFIC agency/department. This is definitely a crucial part. In your cover letters and interviews, don't just say you want to work for the federal government and are interested in public service. You have to sell yourself to the specific agency you're applying to, relying on past experience or anything you can possibly spin in your favor. So, if I'm applying to DOL, I say "I did X, and it got me really interested in labor and employment issues. Everyone in America is defined by their job for better or for worse, and I hope to make sure that everyone has a safe, productive workplace they can go to. I don't want to imagine waking up daily and being afraid to go to work; that would be awful and could really hurt a person when our lives are so closely connected to our work."

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010

Defleshed posted:

I am currently an Army Reservist so I can probably answer some non Air Force specific questions. 5'11" and 228 is uhh pretty stocky you're definitely going to have to get within height/weight standards to be a serious candidate. Probably about 30 pounds just to get you near the upper limit, so if you're serious about applying I would get to work on that asap. Other than that being accepted takes a lot of perseverance and re-applying (at least in the case of me and just about everyone else I know)

Thanks. This is one of the things I have a question about. I'm over the top weight number by 30 pounds, yes, but I'm not fat by any stretch of the word. Honestly, it would be unhealthy for me to lose 30 pounds. To give you a visual, my current power numbers are 315 bench / 415 deadlift and 405 squat. As far as fitness goes, I could score a 100 or close to it on the air force PF test if I took it tomorrow.

Anyway, I've heard there's something called a "tape test" that measures your waist against your neck and chest as an alternative to the height/weight chart. Is that true, or is this something I am gonna need a waiver for?

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010

I would say that you have a compeitive resume. The fact that you are at Columbia is a big plus. In my view, several of the major agencies have shifted their focus upward and into the top schools, so that will be a nice draw.

My biggest recommendation to you is to continue the clinical work. That's the best experience you'll get in school, and the best soft you will have on your resume. Also continue with your secondary journal, it seems to me that you're disappointed it's not law review but honestly, a journal at Columbia means quite a bit in the real world.

Another thing you may want to look into is whether the specific agency you are shooting for offers an unpaid internship. I know the IRS did when I was in school. Even beyond the experience and demonstrating that you are serious about the agency, you will meet and work with people who will probably wind up interviewing you.

At the end of the day, I wish I could tell you it's a simple thing but it's not. It's crazy competitive these days. Finally, get your grades up as much as you can. If you're a 2L you still have three semesters to go. You need to work on that as much as possible.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

itsmelen posted:

Thanks. This is one of the things I have a question about. I'm over the top weight number by 30 pounds, yes, but I'm not fat by any stretch of the word. Honestly, it would be unhealthy for me to lose 30 pounds. To give you a visual, my current power numbers are 315 bench / 415 deadlift and 405 squat. As far as fitness goes, I could score a 100 or close to it on the air force PF test if I took it tomorrow.

Anyway, I've heard there's something called a "tape test" that measures your waist against your neck and chest as an alternative to the height/weight chart. Is that true, or is this something I am gonna need a waiver for?

Here is where we can get into differences between the services and how specifically they calculate this. You are correct in that there is a body fat percentage calculation that is done for people who are over the height/weight standards but I've never seen it done and do not know specifically how the Air Force calculates it. I'd be willing to bet if you asked that in the Air Force thread over in Goons in Platoons though you'd be able to get a correct answer from one of those guys though.

You must be loving stacked if you are at that height and weight and not fat why don't you wrestle dingos for money or something?

itsmelen
Dec 16, 2010

Defleshed posted:

Here is where we can get into differences between the services and how specifically they calculate this. You are correct in that there is a body fat percentage calculation that is done for people who are over the height/weight standards but I've never seen it done and do not know specifically how the Air Force calculates it. I'd be willing to bet if you asked that in the Air Force thread over in Goons in Platoons though you'd be able to get a correct answer from one of those guys though.

You must be loving stacked if you are at that height and weight and not fat why don't you wrestle dingos for money or something?

Haha. Thanks for making me laugh out loud at my desk.

If I'm being fair with myself, I have about 18 pounds I could lose. But anything beyond that would be me starving myself which I don't want to do.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Four Finger Wu posted:

Thank you! I read the thread for a while before dropping in.

The biggest concern right now is predictability. No one I know really cares what the exemption amounts or rates end up at - but everyone is biting their nails to get some certainty ASAP.

Some clients are considering doing some planned taxable giving this year because of the 35% rate, but that makes a lot less sense if next year the estate tax rate will also be 35%, plus there is a potential for a higher exemption amount so that gifts wouldn't even be taxable.

I love talking about this stuff so feel free to ask whenever. Good luck with finals.

What's the best way to set up a college fund? If I buy an index stock and put it into a trust in the name of not-atlas-of-bugs-in-20-years and they're entitled to the trust estate on enrollment in not-school-in-new-orleans will the tax base be the initial amount I put the stock in at? I vaguely recall there being some trick here but don't remember what it is.

Which firms are good at T&E law and how much lateral movement is there among those practices? What are your exit opportunities?

Do you typically establish statutory trusts or common law trusts? In Ca. or in Delaware?

What do institutional trustees typically charge?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Defleshed posted:

As far as the 60K, at least for Army, it is brand new and is in the form of student loan relief. The other branches may be offering something similar and if they are it is also pretty new. The only other forms of bonuses (bonii?) would be for re-committing to another four or six years after your initial service commitment and every branch (as far as I know) pays something for that and it is usually straight up cash and not a student loan repayment.

Is the 60k signing bonus you were talking about an actual cash payment though, or do they just directly pay it against your student loans themselves? If you have a lot of loans and are going for IBR/PSLF, it kind of makes any amount of direct loan repayment kind of a waste.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

prussian advisor posted:

Is the 60k signing bonus you were talking about an actual cash payment though, or do they just directly pay it against your student loans themselves? If you have a lot of loans and are going for IBR/PSLF, it kind of makes any amount of direct loan repayment kind of a waste.

As far as I know it is 60K as a student loan payoff, not a cash bonus. And you are right, to those of us whose entire loan balances fall under the eaves of IBR that 60K is not much of an incentive. After all, 10 years of timely payments amounting to maybe 15% of the total owed and the debt will be erased entirely anyway. However if someone took out private loans (BAD BAD BADDD! NEVER DO IT) that 60K could be a godsend.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
I have to go to municipal court today to handle a ticket for one of our major clients. Unfortunately, he got it in one of the many pissant bedroom communities around here, and even though the ticket is wrong on its face (they told him it was for one violation, they filled it out for another completely irrelevant one), I have the strong feeling I am going to get hometowned big time by the kangaroo court. Oh well. I guess the experience is good. I'm under orders to appeal it to county court if it goes against us.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Cortina posted:

I have to go to municipal court today to handle a ticket for one of our major clients. Unfortunately, he got it in one of the many pissant bedroom communities around here, and even though the ticket is wrong on its face (they told him it was for one violation, they filled it out for another completely irrelevant one), I have the strong feeling I am going to get hometowned big time by the kangaroo court. Oh well. I guess the experience is good. I'm under orders to appeal it to county court if it goes against us.

Take it to the US Supreme Court!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Cortina posted:

I don't think its really being hometowned, more like "judge isn't even really listening and tells everybody to pay the ticket because blah blah preponderance blah blah"

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Man, when the gently caress are the PMF online assessment results gonna get published <:stare:>

Supposedly the in-person assessments are gonna be in about a month. Hurry up, OPM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Cortina posted:

They may drop the charges once they find up they're up against an actual lawyer. Traffic court prosecutors aren't used to that, they probably haven't prepared for it, and they don't want to get embarrassed in front of the judge, especially if the facts are on your side.