Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Dr. Light posted:

Does anyone know of any good patterns for fingerless gloves? I'm talking about the type of glove where there are individual separations for the fingers, but they only go about halfway up the finger, not the open-ended fingerless mitts which are all I can find patterns for.
If you're on Ravelry, look up: Urban Necessity Gloves; Natalya; Knucks; Broad Street Mittens.

Honestly, once you do one pair of half-fingered or full gloves, you won't have any problem adding fingers to the undivided mitts you're finding now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
So I decided to learn to knit Sunday. Since then I've logged ~9 hours of knitting, and I have about 1 inch of curled up (but well stitched) scarf to show for it!

This is seriously becoming an obsession.

I can't figure out how to make a ribbed knit, every time I try to my stitches get tangled up. That's the main reason I've scrapped so much work so far. The scarf I'm making right now is 3 rows knit to start, then knit 1 row, purl 1 row. I thought alternating between knitting and purling would keep it from curling? What should I do to fix it? If I could figure it out, the scarf is supposed to be k3p2 row 1, k2p3 row 2, repeat.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

dopaMEAN posted:

So I decided to learn to knit Sunday. Since then I've logged ~9 hours of knitting, and I have about 1 inch of curled up (but well stitched) scarf to show for it!

This is seriously becoming an obsession.

I can't figure out how to make a ribbed knit, every time I try to my stitches get tangled up. That's the main reason I've scrapped so much work so far. The scarf I'm making right now is 3 rows knit to start, then knit 1 row, purl 1 row. I thought alternating between knitting and purling would keep it from curling? What should I do to fix it? If I could figure it out, the scarf is supposed to be k3p2 row 1, k2p3 row 2, repeat.

Hey first time knitter!

What you're describing isn't ribbing- knitting 1 row and then purling the next is Stocking Stitch (the bog standard everything stitch). Ribbing is where you alternate between knit and purl stitches within the row, so 1x1 rib would be made [K1, P1] for row 1 and then [P1, K1] for row 2.

You pattern should be like this:
Row 1- knit 3 stitches, purl 2 stitches, repeat for length of row
Row 2- knit 2 stitches, purl 3 stitches, repeat for length of row.

If you follow that, you knitting should start to form lines that are perpendicular to your knitting needles.

The important thing to remember when changing from knit to purl within a row is that you need to move your yarn from the back of the work to the front, through the gap between your needles. So your yarn is at the back of the work where you were knitting, bring it to the front of your work by going anticlockwise (it should now lie between the 2 needles) and you're in the right position to make a purl stitch.

Do you understand or am I just confusing you horribly?

Edit: being loving stoooopid

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 14, 2010

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

Hey first time knitter!

What you're describing isn't ribbing- knitting 1 row and then purling the next is Stocking Stitch (the bog standard everything stitch). Ribbing is where you alternate between knit and purl stitches within the row, so 1x1 rib would be made [K1, P1] for row 1 and then [P1, K1] for row 2.

You pattern should be like this:
Row 1- knit 3 stitches, purl 2 stitches, repeat for length of row
Row 2- purl 3 stitches, knit 2 stitches, repeat for length of row.

If you follow that, you knitting should start to form lines that are perpendicular to your knitting needles.

The important thing to remember when changing from knit to purl within a row is that you need to move your yarn from the back of the work to the front, through the gap between your needles. So your yarn is at the back of the work where you were knitting, bring it to the front of your work by going anticlockwise (it should now lie between the 2 needles) and you're in the right position to make a purl stitch.

Do you understand or am I just confusing you horribly?

I actually just gave up, temporarily, on the ribbing and went with a stocking stitch so I could practice more. I think you might be right about moving the yarn, as I was not doing that at all. Also, when I was following the pattern it was described as K3P2 row 1, K2P3 row 2. So maybe I was messing up how the stitches were aligned, by always staring with the knit?

I'll try ribbing again tonight and see if moving the yarn doesn't fix my problem. Basically, I was getting stitches that were crossed over each other, really tight, or doubled. It was so confusing!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

dopaMEAN posted:

I actually just gave up, temporarily, on the ribbing and went with a stocking stitch so I could practice more. I think you might be right about moving the yarn, as I was not doing that at all. Also, when I was following the pattern it was described as K3P2 row 1, K2P3 row 2. So maybe I was messing up how the stitches were aligned, by always staring with the knit?

I'll try ribbing again tonight and see if moving the yarn doesn't fix my problem. Basically, I was getting stitches that were crossed over each other, really tight, or doubled. It was so confusing!

For ribbing you want a pair of rows where a knit stitch becomes a purl stitch and vice versa, otherwise you'd knit on knit stitches and just get garter stitch.
You just need to make sure you're stitching the opposite of what you did the previous row.

Let's say your first row is:

K K K P P K K K P P K K K P P

Then you would start with K because the last stitch of the last row is now your first stitch and that was a P. The next row would therefore be:

K K P P P K K P P P K K P P P

Oh gently caress I gave you bad advice in my last post

maybe I'm not qualfied for this hold out for a better knitter

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

For ribbing you want a pair of rows where a knit stitch becomes a purl stitch and vice versa, otherwise you'd knit on knit stitches and just get garter stitch.
You just need to make sure you're stitching the opposite of what you did the previous row.

Let's say your first row is:

K K K P P K K K P P K K K P P

Then you would start with K because the last stitch of the last row is now your first stitch and that was a P. The next row would therefore be:

K K P P P K K P P P K K P P P

Oh gently caress I gave you bad advice in my last post

maybe I'm not qualfied for this hold out for a better knitter

Well at least you're giving me the theory- that's the most important thing for me! It makes sense the way you just explained it, thanks :)

Is there an easy way to keep track of all of the rows and stitches? The thing that takes me forever is counting stitches when I cast on- when I was over-cocky I tried starting the hat I wanted to make, casting on 112 stitches. That was a lot!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
You can use little markers to keep track, I like to use plastic coated paper-clips as stitch markers that you hang in your work to show a certain stitch's place. As for counting stitches when you cast on, do it in groups of 3 or 5.

As for counting rows, there are little counting devices you can stick on the bottom of your needles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row_counter_(hand_knitting) ). I tend to keep a post-it note or notebook page for each project and make a tally count of rows because then I've got space to scrawl any other mad ramblings that make the project easier. Say, for example, the pattern is online but uses the same 4 rows for 8 inches, I write down that part of the pattern on my page, go off to watch TV and mark out my rows as I go underneath in tally counts or little numbers. You've just got to make a habit of marking down the rows as you go.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

As for counting rows, there are little counting devices you can stick on the bottom of your needles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row_counter_(hand_knitting) ).

I love that every single counter example on that wiki article was set to 42. Someone is a pretty big Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Fan, and somewhat obsessive...

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Thanks for the tips on the gloves! For some reason it never crossed my mind that I could just take a regular glove pattern and just stop halfway up the fingers...

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

dopaMEAN posted:

I think a scarf is a really bad idea for a first project and you should start with something smaller. Your gauge will change as you get used to knitting and the scarf will look better at the end than at the start.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Just keep knitting swatches until you're comfortable/have a consistent gauge, then work your way up. Also, I never realized I could keep my counter on the needle until I saw that wikipedia link.

EDIT: I don't care if her mother is Elizabeth Zimmerman, these are god drat gimp masks.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 15, 2010

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

they were smoking MARIJUANA! in the CHURCH!
Thats it. I give in to the temptation of knitting. I have a knitting class starting on the 10th(and a crochet on on the 13th) and my xmas wish list is full of wonderful knitting stuff.

I'm SO EXCITED.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Dru posted:

Thats it. I give in to the temptation of knitting. I have a knitting class starting on the 10th(and a crochet on on the 13th) and my xmas wish list is full of wonderful knitting stuff.

I'm SO EXCITED.

As a beginning knitter you should only use rosewood needles and if someone hands you acrylic spit in their face.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

dopaMEAN posted:

It sound like you are doing exactly what I was doing until a couple of weeks ago, i.e. not moving the yarn when switching from knitting to purling.
This video makes it really clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLZfxF64nI

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Pookah posted:

It sound like you are doing exactly what I was doing until a couple of weeks ago, i.e. not moving the yarn when switching from knitting to purling.
This video makes it really clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLZfxF64nI

Yep, that's exactly what it was. Since I posted I ended up restarting the scarf (again) and I've got 8 inches knitted so far. It looks pretty nice, though it's now curling vertically. I think that might be normal? The ribs are together unless I pull on it, it makes it seem thicker but less wide. I've been trying to keep an even tension, and now that I'm good at undoing knits I've been catching problems before they become bad. I haven't missed any stitches, but sometimes I look up/break my concentration and mess up my pattern by knitting or purling an extra stitch.

So question: How long does it normally take you guys to knit something like a scarf? Do you ever get good enough to not need to watch the whole time? I don't mind watching, but I hope I can get to the point where I can just check it as I go. Because I'm so slow right now, and it involves so much constant watching, I feel like this is the most labor intensive hobby ever. It has taken me about 5 hours to get that 8 inches of scarf. I still like it though!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sounds good!
The purl bit will tend to close in on themselves so that curling sounds normal. As to how long it takes? I'm not very fast so it might take me a week or two to make a scarf in a reasonably fine yarn, like you are probably using. I made a 4x4 rib scarf a little while ago and after a day or so, switching between knit and purl became pretty automatic, so much so that when I started the Irish hiking scarf, I kept having to redo stiches that I had unconsciously done 4 of when I only needed 2.

If you want to make a super quick scarf I find the quickest thing is to get a fancy hairy THICK yarn and big needles - you can run up a garter stitch scarf in a couple of hours that will look very nice :)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

dopaMEAN posted:

So question: How long does it normally take you guys to knit something like a scarf? Do you ever get good enough to not need to watch the whole time? I don't mind watching, but I hope I can get to the point where I can just check it as I go. Because I'm so slow right now, and it involves so much constant watching, I feel like this is the most labor intensive hobby ever. It has taken me about 5 hours to get that 8 inches of scarf. I still like it though!

Well golly gosh there Mickey, there are a million and one variables there. The Palindrome scarf I knitted took me from about the 18th of Nov to the 10th of December BUT it was on 8mm needles, all one colour, simple pattern, not very wide, and I wasn't knitting it every day. It took me about 12 episodes of The IT Crowd to get through, which I guess translates as just under 6 hours of solid knitting?

You will learn the muscle memory required to knit without looking, it just takes practice. I've been knitting since I was 5 (and it's my 21st tomorrow WOO) and I still prefer to look at my work for anything more complicated than stocking stitch. My advice to you is to find some interesting podcasts (there's a thread in PYF, I recommend Wiretap), sit back, relax, and just focus on the knitting if you really want to get it done. If you're happy to just plod along, go ahead and plod. If you decide a quarter of the way in that you want to start something else, do that too. Whenever I do a big project, be it a sweater, quilt or giant amigurumi palm tree, I usually have 2 to 3 smaller projects orbiting it.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

My advice to you is to find some interesting podcasts (there's a thread in PYF, I recommend Wiretap), sit back, relax, and just focus on the knitting if you really want to get it done. If you're happy to just plod along, go ahead and plod. If you decide a quarter of the way in that you want to start something else, do that too. Whenever I do a big project, be it a sweater, quilt or giant amigurumi palm tree, I usually have 2 to 3 smaller projects orbiting it.

I feel stupid for not thinking of this. I have a *ton* of podcasts I listen to (I recommend most of the How Stuff Works ones) and I've been falling behind since I stopped running the mindless part of my research at work. Thanks for suggesting that!

Oh, and I'm knitting on 4.5mm/size 7 needles with worsted weight yarn. It looks nice and tight, hopefully it'll be warm! We just moved to the midwest from AZ and my fiance has never had a scarf before.

(Also: Happy birthday! Don't get too drunk!)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

dopaMEAN posted:

Oh, and I'm knitting on 4.5mm/size 7 needles with worsted weight yarn. It looks nice and tight, hopefully it'll be warm! We just moved to the midwest from AZ and my fiance has never had a scarf before.

(Also: Happy birthday! Don't get too drunk!)

Yeah, that's going to take a while longer than mine did but don't sweat it- just take your time and let it grow naturally. Whenever I've tried to rush a project, I end up fudging it somehow or the stitches get too tight because I get stressed.

And don't worry, I'm British so I've had alcohol at birthdays since I was 14! :toot:

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

dopaMEAN posted:

I've been knitting about 2 years now, and it didn't take long for me to become used to just doing it without really concentrating. If I'm doing things like increases and stuff then I'll look, but knitting and purling I usually don't. I know it seems like a huge hurdle right now but you already sound like you're getting better and better. The best thing about knitting is that (depending on the mistake) you can't see mistakes once it's done. I always tell my friends to knit a scarf or something for their first real item because they can really make it however they want, and you can show people and say "yeah I made this!" even if it looks funny! You'll get there, promise!

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
Help me, knitters!

My Secret Santa giftee at work is a knitter. What is a good gift that's about $10-$15?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Hood Ornament posted:

Help me, knitters!

My Secret Santa giftee at work is a knitter. What is a good gift that's about $10-$15?

Do you know if there's a yarn store in your area? Locals usually have gift cards, if you want to let her pick some yummy yarn. They also may have notion kits (tape measure, stitch markers, darning needle in a little case), which are always really useful, and usually aren't very expensive. Also, a ball of yarn is always lovely.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Personally I'd love to get DPNs. I dont care if i already have the size

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I always need more stitch markers because I lose them like crazy, so a notions kit would be great.

Yarn is also nice, or really nice needles. Things like rosewood needles or a ball of yarn that is beautiful but too expensive to buy for myself (I can never bring myself to spend more than 12 bucks or so on a skein of yarn for myself) would be great. I got some Zauberball for my birthday last year and was SO thrilled with it - I just kept in in my stash and held it and thought about the tons of awesome things I could make with it for more than a year. I FINALLY broke down and made myself something out of it this fall.

Dru
Feb 23, 2003

they were smoking MARIJUANA! in the CHURCH!

Fooley posted:

As a beginning knitter you should only use rosewood needles and if someone hands you acrylic spit in their face.

Everyone around me knows not to buy me acrylic already! I have skin sensitivities, so it'll be trial and error to find wool that doesn't cause breakouts, but natural fibers are alwasy best. I've got my eye on some lovely llama wool at the local wool store.

My first present came today. Namaste mini-cozy needle bag for my crochet hooks, and an IOU for the full sized one, as they did not have it in hot pink.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Hood Ornament posted:

Help me, knitters!

I'm on team yarn she wouldn't normally buy for herself, like SWTC's Tofutsies, which is partially MADE FROM CRAB SHELLS! omg, coolest sock yarn ever! or maybe something fancy like a ball of a cashmere and wool. I'm against the notions even though I feel like I never have enough stitch markers, because you don't know if she really could use them or is swimming in that stuff. Yarn is always appreciated. If you have a yarn store near you, I'm sure someone in there would love to help you pick something out :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

DEFINITELY a really crazy or interesting yarn.

There are so many different yarns that I'd never get myself, but would love as a gift.

Notions are pretty tricky for me, actually- if I get needles, it's inevitably just size 8 (how is it that I have about 50 sets of that) and stitch markers that I won't really like. But I bet that really varies depending upon the knitter.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Yarn porn incoming. My GWS secret santa did a hell of an internet detective job and got me some cool looking yarn.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

Fooley posted:

I've been putting around the ravelry group and i feel like it's finally time to post here but what the gently caress is this? It looks like it should be edible.

For content, I just finished my (crappy, acrylic) take on Turn-a-square for my Dad for christmas. I just cast on this knit-in-the-round shawlette with this ridiculously expensive Kauni. This is the first time I've used anything that wasn't 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn and it's a little scary!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Maid posted:

I've been putting around the ravelry group and i feel like it's finally time to post here but what the gently caress is this? It looks like it should be edible.

For content, I just finished my (crappy, acrylic) take on Turn-a-square for my Dad for christmas. I just cast on this knit-in-the-round shawlette with this ridiculously expensive Kauni. This is the first time I've used anything that wasn't 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn and it's a little scary!

Its really fluffy and has a nice fleece feel to it. The normal looking yarns I think are wool, but the whole label is Japanese so I dunno.

Also $20 for a 600 yards isnt bad at all.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Hood Ornament posted:

Help me, knitters!

Unlike a bunch of other people, I would be totally unhappy to get a ball of "isn't this weird?! It's like 12 colors!" yarn, or a wacky novelty chenille eyelash ribbon crab sugar yarn. Needles would be nice, but there have been fights to the death over circs vs. dpns, and for all you know she already has a set of interchangeables! I think notions are good because it's hard to go wrong -- a cute row counter, stitch markers, a cute/portable measuring tape, or maybe one of those little Clover yarn-cutter necklaces would all be useful for almost anyone. Maybe one of those little project wrist bags, if you know she likes smaller items, or if she likes complicated sweaters or afghans, one of those magnetic sets to cover up parts of your pattern and mark where you are.

I still pretty much vote gift certificate, though. If there's a local yarn shop, they usually do a really nice presentation, and you can include a note something like "this is for whatever would make you happy -- I noticed some __________ while I was there..." That shows you put thought into it and you're suggesting something she might like, but ultimately the choice is hers.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 17, 2010

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

I still pretty much vote gift certificate, though. If there's a local yarn shop, they usually do a really nice presentation, and you can include a note something like "this is for whatever would make you happy -- I noticed some __________ while I was there..." That shows you put thought into it and you're suggesting something she might like, but ultimately the choice is hers.

Seconding this. What's weird and unique to you might be the last thing someone who's been knitting for a while would want.

Xinica
Mar 20, 2007

I don´t like to recieve yarn either because I´m very picky about what yarn I like..

Finished the jackets finally, I´ll upload I photo later so you can see how it turned out :)

Now I´m trying to make these socks for a friend for christmas, but I have a question about the diagram. Hopefully some of you can help me.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/selbudeath

Does the gray areas mean decreasing? And what are the black squares with a white line? Maybe those are decreases to?

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I'm wanting to learn to knit socks, once the holidays are over and I get over knitting and crocheting furiously for the past month. I've been knitting for about 2 years or so, and feel ready to tackle them. Socks just seems complicated to me for some reason. Anyone have any suggestions for a good book or a good place online to learn the basics?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I don't like to get yarn either... people tend to get me one skein (never enough for anything) of yarn I don't like anyway. I'd rather get a gift card.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Xinica posted:

Now I´m trying to make these socks for a friend for christmas, but I have a question about the diagram. Hopefully some of you can help me.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/selbudeath

Does the gray areas mean decreasing? And what are the black squares with a white line? Maybe those are decreases to?
Yup, if you look at the top of the second page of the pattern: "Decreases are worked as k2tog and ssk, always in black. Grey in the chart means no stitches." Did you notice the part about holding the chart upside-down, too?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'll have to post pictures later, but the grab bag has more eyelash yarn than I will ever use. Somehow, though, I don't hate it. There's also some shiny yarn and some pretty spool of a jumbly white maybe sport? weight yarn. It's not a bad grab bag, it's just surprising. Now to figure out what in the world to do with fire orange/yellow eyelash yarn!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Black scarf with a flame design, obvs!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Ma_NiC posted:

I'm wanting to learn to knit socks, once the holidays are over and I get over knitting and crocheting furiously for the past month. I've been knitting for about 2 years or so, and feel ready to tackle them. Socks just seems complicated to me for some reason. Anyone have any suggestions for a good book or a good place online to learn the basics?

I've heard good things about Knitting Circles Around socks, though I admit that I haven't read it. I just know at least half the ladies in my knitting group have used it to learn or as a reference while they were in a class.

I'm pretty sure Knitty has a basic sock pattern, and explains gauge and how all that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinica
Mar 20, 2007

Ma_NiC posted:

I don´t have any suggestions for books, but knitting socks isn´t that hard really. When I first started knitting socks I would use only one colour, or multicoloured yarn. There are lots of patterns at ravelry, and you can search by difficulty :)

Anne Whateley posted:

Yup, if you look at the top of the second page of the pattern: "Decreases are worked as k2tog and ssk, always in black. Grey in the chart means no stitches." Did you notice the part about holding the chart upside-down, too?

Thanks :) I guess I should have read the pattern more carefully. And I´m holding the pattern upside down, but thanks for checking :)

Here are the jackets I knitted. I´m quite happy with how they turned out.

Xinica fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 17, 2010