Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Caedar posted:

What are some really warm long johns / undershirts? I was thinking Terramar Woolskins, but I'm not sure if wool is still the top dog for this kind of thing, or if synthetic fibers have surpassed it. I'm not looking for something that will wick a lot of sweat, as I don't go running out in the cold, but just something that will keep me very warm.

Search around for military polypropylene stuff. It was designed to keep troops alive in -50 degree weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I'm citing from an anthology, what author do I put? The author of the work inside the citation or the author of the anthology?

I'm specifically referring to an in-page citation.

Ex: Collected Childrens Stories by John Smith includes One Fish Two Fish by Dr. Suess.

And then he talked about blue fish. (Seuss, 324)

EDIT: Figured it out, nevermind!

the fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 15, 2010

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I need the title of a British comedy series shot within the last ten years or so. It featured a guy in a wheelchair who didn't actually had an disability and a sensible guy who was carrying him around. Googling "british wheelchair comedy" does not bring up anything useful and I don't think it has been listed here: http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/top/

Appreciate the help.

\/ Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 15, 2010

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I need the title of a British comedy series shot within the last ten years or so. It featured a guy in a wheelchair who didn't actually had an disability and a sensible guy who was carrying him around. Googling "british wheelchair comedy" does not bring up anything useful and I don't think it has been listed here: http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/top/

Appreciate the help.

Andy and Lou, Little Britain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkTOW7XaN7I

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I was going to post this in AI, but I figured it was too small of a question.
I believe my drivers side car door lock is frozen. I tried unlocking it yesterday, and my key wouldn't even begin to get into the lock. After some wiggling' my key got in, but then wouldn't turn. The same goes for my trunk. My passenger side door was doing the same thing, but I got it open after a minute. My door unlocks and opens from the inside with no problems, so I can get into my car, it's just a pain in the rear end.
Any way to remedy my issue?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I was going to post this in AI, but I figured it was too small of a question.
I believe my drivers side car door lock is frozen. I tried unlocking it yesterday, and my key wouldn't even begin to get into the lock. After some wiggling' my key got in, but then wouldn't turn. The same goes for my trunk. My passenger side door was doing the same thing, but I got it open after a minute. My door unlocks and opens from the inside with no problems, so I can get into my car, it's just a pain in the rear end.
Any way to remedy my issue?

You can actually buy little aerosol cans of lock de-icer at most drug stores and definitely auto-part and home improvement stores.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Bojanglesworth posted:

You can actually buy little aerosol cans of lock de-icer at most drug stores and definitely auto-part and home improvement stores.

Found some, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My girlfriend dropped a bowl onto her stove today and cracked the glass stove top. Can she safely keep using the stove top in the short term, or is it out of commission until she can get it replaced?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to exercise my forearms a little while sitting around. I have one of those goofy v-shaped grippers that squeaks incessantly and I can do like eight thousand reps on the thing. Great for a nervous tic, but I know it's not doing me any good.

Can anyone recommend anything worthwhile?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
A little? This may sound dumb, but you can grip the poo poo out of something and really work your forearm. A dumbell or solid cylindrical object would work. Turning something also does something different. I read a long time ago in Men's Health that the guy on the cover sat around with a piece of wood and repeatedly screwed in a bunch of screws with his bare hands and it helped him beef up his forearms. Just be careful with these hand/forearm exercises. I'm not sure how they affect your wrist health.

Check out this article: http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-640#building-the-death-grip (grip is related to forearm strength)

And products like these: http://ironmind-store.com/Crushed-to-Dust153-Grip-Tools/departments/7/

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 16, 2010

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Get a long, round piece of wood and drill a hole in it. Thread some rope through the hole and then thread weights through the rope. Then practice rolling and unrolling the weight up and down. When it gets too easy, add more weight.

Edit: From the link above, this is what I was describing.

So buy one for $75 or make one for $5.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 16, 2010

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys. I'm really looking for something I can do throughout the day at my desk while being an otherwise sit-down worker, so the wrist rollers are kind of out.

What about those Captains of Crush grip trainers? It's kind of along the lines of what I have, but they look a lot more sturdy and offer way more resistance.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

nesbit37 posted:

My girlfriend dropped a bowl onto her stove today and cracked the glass stove top. Can she safely keep using the stove top in the short term, or is it out of commission until she can get it replaced?

It's probably out of commission. The heat will focus on the cracks. At best it will cause uneven heating, at worst it will explode.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Danger Mahoney posted:

Thanks guys. I'm really looking for something I can do throughout the day at my desk while being an otherwise sit-down worker, so the wrist rollers are kind of out.

What about those Captains of Crush grip trainers? It's kind of along the lines of what I have, but they look a lot more sturdy and offer way more resistance.

When I worked in an office and had no Internet I would draw photos of the people in my office in weird situations, like the hot girl in a short skirt as a preacher in a baptist church, or the fat lady in accounting driving a muscle car.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking to exercise my forearms a little while sitting around. I have one of those goofy v-shaped grippers that squeaks incessantly and I can do like eight thousand reps on the thing. Great for a nervous tic, but I know it's not doing me any good.

Can anyone recommend anything worthwhile?

Open palmed wrist curls with a heavy dumbbell where you let it almost roll down your fingertips will get you gorilla forearms.

I used to do this with an olympic bar (and probably some plates, I don't remember. 45s lol) and both arms at the same time, dumbbell is probably harder to control letting it roll down your fingers but I'm sure it can be done, is office friendly and would probably benefit you more than an olympic bar like I used.

edit: reverse wrist curls too.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 16, 2010

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
Is Kanye known as "Yeezy" just because he once needed to rhyme it with "Sleazy" In flashing lights or is there a real reason?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Pizer posted:

Is Kanye known as "Yeezy" just because he once needed to rhyme it with "Sleazy" In flashing lights or is there a real reason?

One of his nicknames is "Ye," short for Kanye, and Ye - Yeezy is a pretty short hop. But don't think too hard about it, it's not like there's a coded message in there or anything. Rappers just riff on each other's names a lot.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Lil' Wayne is Weezie, Chris Brown is Breezie. It's just a thing. It doesn't mean anything.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Any good sites for premade layouts for Blogger blogs that aren't all pre-teen crap?
Or maybe someone can just tell me where in the CSS for one of my blogs I can change the height and width of the picture beneath the title because I can't find it anywhere.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Microsoft Word question:

How do I permanently disable that obnoxious "add space after paragraph" feature so that I don't ever have to do it every time I start a new document?

EDIT: VVV YES thank you!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 16, 2010

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Microsoft Word question:

How do I permanently disable that obnoxious "add space after paragraph" feature so that I don't ever have to do it every time I start a new document?

Worst feature ever.

1. On the Home ribbon, in the Paragraph group, click the Paragraph dialog box launcher.
2. Select the check box for Don’t add space between paragraphs of the same style.
3. Click the Default… button to apply to all future documents.
4. Click OK.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004

Eyeball posted:

Lil' Wayne is Weezie, Chris Brown is Breezie. It's just a thing. It doesn't mean anything.
Wa -> Weezie
Br -> Breezie
Ky -> Kyeezie

but yeah rappers etc, got it

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Pizer posted:

Wa -> Weezie
Br -> Breezie
Ky -> Kyeezie

but yeah rappers etc, got it

It's not like... an alphabet or anything. I really think you're overthinking it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Pizer posted:

Wa -> Weezie
Br -> Breezie
Ky -> Kyeezie

Covergirl.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Slashie posted:

It's not like... an alphabet or anything. I really think you're overthinking it.
You're underthinking it. -eezy names actually adhere to a complicated hierarchal naming structure inspired equally by the Greek alphabet and Darwin. It's currently under review by KRS-One and Russel Simmons for induction into the tenets of Hip Hop.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eyeball posted:

People react differently to different drugs. Nitrous can make people act pretty goofy.

Nitrous does not cause black outs unless you are depriving the person of oxygen. They probably gave him some benzos and he doesn't even remember because well, benzos.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

baquerd posted:

Nitrous does not cause black outs unless you are depriving the person of oxygen. They probably gave him some benzos and he doesn't even remember because well, benzos.

It may not cause honest-to-God blackouts, but I've had experiences with nitrous that I think would be reasonable to describe as blackouts. I was not unconscious, but afterward, I had really patchy memory of what I experienced while I was affected. I've blacked out on alcohol plenty of times and that's pretty much how I would describe a blackout.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Does anyone know what the song on the heavy metal edition of Robot Unicorn Attack is?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Why would I need a large HDD on an xbox 360 outside of storing music and videos, which I would do on my TB externals anyway? I see these 4GB models rolling around but I recall them being like 20Gb when they first started rolling out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Why would I need a large HDD on an xbox 360 outside of storing music and videos, which I would do on my TB externals anyway? I see these 4GB models rolling around but I recall them being like 20Gb when they first started rolling out.

A larger drive is helpful if you want to install games to the drive.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Because installing games and downloading stuff from the marketplace takes up a lot of space very quickly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

DLC packs and retail game demos are often 0.5-1GB. XBLA games are usually a couple hundred MB but are getting bigger and bigger. Xbox Originals, Games On Demand, and the install game feature will consume 3-6GB a pop (so they're entirely unusable on the 4GB models). Rock Band and similar games release an endless stream of songs. If you want to use any or all of these and don't want to be constantly redownloading stuff or swapping flash drives, you need the larger HD. The 4GB Xboxes are the budget/entry model, the others now come with 120GB or 250GB disks.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

You can "install" games to the hard drive in order to have much less waiting around for things to load in game, but that easily requires 6 to 8 gigabytes of space per title. It's really worth it, since it cuts out almost all the noise from reading disks as well as the whole "poo poo starts faster" thing.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Thanks for all the replies. I'm assuming this is something that I can't easily remedy after the fact? (external/USB HDD, mapped drives, etc)

E: I'm only asking because I found an great deal with 4gb + kinect and other stuff, of course it's not such a great deal if I'm boned on space in a month

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm assuming this is something that I can't easily remedy after the fact? (external/USB HDD, mapped drives, etc)

E: I'm only asking because I found an great deal with 4gb + kinect and other stuff, of course it's not such a great deal if I'm boned on space in a month

Well the drive you'll want is http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Hard-Drive/dp/B002I0JDC6/ref=pd_sim_vg_4 and that's $130. If you buy the 250 gb Xbox 360 you do still get the 4 GB inside as well as the 250 gb hard drive for $100 more than the 4 GB Xbox 360.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

This is your best option if you or someone you know is slightly tech savvy:

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/xbox-360-guides/3152-xbox-360-how-hack-250gb-sata-drive-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html

A LOT cheaper. Just make sure you don't go crazy and buy a huge drive, the max the 360 will currently recognize is 250gb.

Also, there is no noticeable benefit to buying the WD Black over the Blue.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 16, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Great information madprocess and Aphasian! I didn't know the 360 was so easily upgradeable (hdd wise).

That hack looks pretty easy too.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

silversiren posted:

Any good sites for premade layouts for Blogger blogs that aren't all pre-teen crap?
Or maybe someone can just tell me where in the CSS for one of my blogs I can change the height and width of the picture beneath the title because I can't find it anywhere.

The one for 667airplane.jpg? Its dimensions are 700x408. The source code for the page has this line in it:

<div id='header-inner' style='background-image: url("http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RfX-ZaFkdWg/SmNOBoRu62I/AAAAAAAAAAM/drRHbzjuk4Y/S1600-R/667airplane.jpg"); background-position: left; width: 700px; min-height: 408px; _height: 408px; background-repeat: no-repeat; '>

Change the values of these numbers to shrink or blow up an image

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Is it dangerous to piss the bed while using an electric blanket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Is it dangerous to piss the bed while using an electric blanket?

They say no, for two reasons:
1. US Electric blankets go above so they don't get wet. (Japanese use a different system of an underlying heating element.)
2. They heating wires are all heavily insulated anyway.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2010