Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

gently caress, beat me to it. This song is so loving good.

e: According to Twitter, the final version will have like "Cam, Vado, Jimmy, Pusha, Big Sean, Cyhi, Teyana Taylor & Musiq"

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Brett824 posted:

gently caress, beat me to it. This song is so loving good.

e: According to Twitter, the final version will have like "Cam, Vado, Jimmy, Pusha, Big Sean, Cyhi, Teyana Taylor & Musiq"

Listening to it right now, it's the first post on Nah Right right now. It's good too. And can you people let the "omfmgmfmg clipping" talk end for the love of God. If you are that much of a sperg case, don't listen to music.

Dark Clam
Jul 1, 2002

Bonye West posted:

Listening to it right now, it's the first post on Nah Right right now. It's good too. And can you people let the "omfmgmfmg clipping" talk end for the love of God. If you are that much of a sperg case, don't listen to music.

The clipping is pretty awful. Do you not notice it or does it just not bother you?

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Dark Clam posted:

The clipping is pretty awful. Do you not notice it or does it just not bother you?

I don't notice it. I don't notice a lot of the complaints about "compression" and all this other stuff, I'm not that technical I suppose, and I'm glad because apparently all it leads to is deconstructing music down to it being unlistenable. I listen to music because I like it, I don't run it through a lab sequence. People need to do less complaining and more :monar: I don't even know what that little guy is from but his attitude is proper.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Dark Clam posted:

What is it, I am not trying to be cute or funny, I honestly can't hear anything wrong

Maybe on So Appalled when it's "One hand in the air/if you don't really care" on the air it seems to cut off quite quickly
is that what you mean?

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

teacup posted:

What is it, I am not trying to be cute or funny, I honestly can't hear anything wrong

Maybe on So Appalled when it's "One hand in the air/if you don't really care" on the air it seems to cut off quite quickly
is that what you mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

Listen to the GOOD Friday Monster back to back to the album version. If you can't hear the difference I don't know what to tell you.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

F201 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

Listen to the GOOD Friday Monster back to back to the album version. If you can't hear the difference I don't know what to tell you.

I have done that I just did it again and what I'm picturing you telling me is "I am an audiophile snob"

I'm sure it's there. But really it's hilarious hearing people up in arms over it because the average person won't be able to hear it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Superchunk posted:

Sorry guys! Of course after I talk InSound up and down about being awesome we get a delay on the album. It's the #3 top-selling record on the website now, so they must be coping with some serious demand.

Insound doesn't manufacture records: you'd experience this delay regardless of who you bought the record from.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
The tagged final(ish? it has all the features) version of Christmas in Harlem is floating around hip hop sites. Dipset and G.O.O.D. Music is a great Christmas gift.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Brett824 posted:

The tagged final(ish? it has all the features) version of Christmas in Harlem is floating around hip hop sites. Dipset and G.O.O.D. Music is a great Christmas gift.

http://hulkshare.com/mcy2me9dzdiv

Straight from GOOD Music Blog

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

traveling midget posted:

http://hulkshare.com/mcy2me9dzdiv

Straight from GOOD Music Blog

Yeah this is the one with Funkmaster Flex tags.

e: also the GOOD Music Blog is run by Karl/MrKrc, who is in Kanye's "camp" but doesn't really get exclusives.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 17, 2010

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Is there any full version of this song anywhere without the FUNKMASTER FLEXs and explosions? I can't find one.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Clipping basically sounds like distortion. In a lot of cases it's used on purpose, and it actually sounds really loving good on Monster.

For those of you who don't know how to identify clipping, listen to this video... it's a Clap Your Hands Say Yeah song that has TONS of clipping (on purpose, although I and most people think they took it way too far here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doi2HRUxVUY&feature=related

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

polo-rican posted:

Clipping basically sounds like distortion. In a lot of cases it's used on purpose, and it actually sounds really loving good on Monster.

For those of you who don't know how to identify clipping, listen to this video... it's a Clap Your Hands Say Yeah song that has TONS of clipping (on purpose, although I and most people think they took it way too far here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doi2HRUxVUY&feature=related

The clipping works on some songs (Monster) but I think it's just too much on every song and there's really no dynamic range at all.

I'm also still really mad at the skip in one of Swizz Beatz' vocal parts on So Appalled, even if Kanye says it was intentionally left in.

adjective_noun
Jan 5, 2007

Antony played guitaaaaaaaaar!!
Since we're still on the mastering topic, anyone get word on what the mastering on the vinyl is like? I asked for it for Christmas and would love if it were more tastefully done. I think a good example of how the mastering should sound is the mastering on Lucius Leftfoot, Big Boi's new album. LL is LOUD definitely, but still retails the subtle dynamic of the mixing.

katatonic
Mar 14, 2007

Mike Dean on gearslutz posted:

Actually while the album mastering was being Mastered I was in England doing watch the throne. They distorted the master but... I am remastering whole album and remixing a few songs next week. Album had to make the date so that's what was. No less great though. Lookout for new master.

Mike Dean is apparently remastering the whole drat thing, great news :D

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Mike Dean :swoon:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
That's great. Between that and the bonus tracks Q-Tip promised, I'm glad I waited to pick up a physical copy.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
One of my favorite lines is in Take One for the Team: "Why every ghetto bitch gotta smell like Love Spell? Or that god drat cucumber Bath & Body Works. I can still smell the sweat the poo poo hardly works. What about Cool Water that poo poo prolly worse."

I loving hate Love Spell.

adjective_noun
Jan 5, 2007

Antony played guitaaaaaaaaar!!
I just checked Discogs, who are usually very reliable, Mike Dean is listed as an "additional producer" on every track except All Of The Lights, which is odd, considering it's probably the most egregiously blown out. http://www.discogs.com/Kanye-West-My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy/release/2606952

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

My Christmas loot was mint copies of all his albums and vinyls (MBDTF vinyl didn't come in time)

I'm still upset Graduation wasn't ever released on Vinyl.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I want College Dropout on vinyl so bad, just for the album art alone. I've got LR and MBDTF, though. Good haul!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Got my vinyl copy today. Actually came in a totally reasonable cardboard shipper.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Got my vinyl copy today and I have to wonder why is the artwork still censored? Otherwise it is a really nice record, but censoring that image still confuses me.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Got a censored album in Canada too. I thought we were beyond this bullshit here but I guess I'm wrong. This is why I can't happily give my money to these corporations.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still haven't gotten my loving record. Godamn snow storms. :rant: Bummer that the artwork is still censored, but what can you expect?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Superchunk posted:

I still haven't gotten my loving record. Godamn snow storms. :rant: Bummer that the artwork is still censored, but what can you expect?

It's still censored on the actual record label for the first disc. It just doesn't make sense since you can't see that or the artwork that is censored unless you buy the album.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Harry Privates posted:

Got my vinyl copy today and I have to wonder why is the artwork still censored? Otherwise it is a really nice record, but censoring that image still confuses me.

Ok I'm pissed about censoring the art of all things. No poo poo it's parental advisory on the label already. Is the vinyl censored as well? I'm going to hope for a European copy that isn't censored.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
poo poo is annoying. It feels like an insult having those cover inserts and one of them is just a blank mosaic.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
the monster video leaked, it's pretty lovely

i'd wait for the final cut before watching

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

This is apparently the new Serato company shirt? (crosspost from PHIZ)

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

atrus50 posted:

the monster video leaked, it's pretty lovely

i'd wait for the final cut before watching

my favorite parts were when the Gettyimages logo pops up.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Roc-a-fella should sell the uncensored prints of the album cover on their website for like $5. I'd buy one, jus so I didn't have to stare at a pixelated mess every time I wanna listen to the album.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Brett824 posted:

This is apparently the new Serato company shirt? (crosspost from PHIZ)

I must have this

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
So I've listened to this album a few times, and I have a kind of mixed reaction to it. I'll have something to say about the critical acclaim in a moment, but while I feel that the first few tracks (through "All Of The Lights") are really the best I've heard from Kanye, I think the rest of the album fails to live up to the A plus production and scope of the introduction--I just can't find a way in past the narcissism and fragmentation.

I guess my complaint is that Kanye's self-construction is simplistic. I understand that he's full of himself, the Taylor Swift moment was hilarious to me, but look by way of comparison to Eminem's Slim Shady. Self-absorbed? Yes, but to a ludicrous degree, and Slim Shady is consistently undermined by Eminem's/Marshall Mathers' critiques of masculinity, whiteness, and rap culture. When I look to the Kanye in this album I see a massive and over-produced monolith. It is quite an impressive spectacle, but it appears superficial in a way that Slim Shady or (since Kanye straddles the pop-rap line) Lady Gaga do not.

As for the critical response, well, de gustibus non est disputandum I guess, but I don't really like the attribution of this album to the genius of one guy. Kanye hardly appears unaccompanied, and he brings a huge amount of other artists under his yoke for this project. There's nothing wrong with that on face, but in the end it is of course Kanye who gets the credit (royalties notwithstanding), Kanye who will inevitably sweep the Grammies--and I think this album was engineered with awards and reviews in mind. I'm not really sure what I'm getting at here except "white people :rolleyes:," so you can ignore this last paragraph if you like.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

deptstoremook posted:

So I've listened to this album a few times, and I have a kind of mixed reaction to it. I'll have something to say about the critical acclaim in a moment, but while I feel that the first few tracks (through "All Of The Lights") are really the best I've heard from Kanye, I think the rest of the album fails to live up to the A plus production and scope of the introduction--I just can't find a way in past the narcissism and fragmentation.

I guess my complaint is that Kanye's self-construction is simplistic. I understand that he's full of himself, the Taylor Swift moment was hilarious to me, but look by way of comparison to Eminem's Slim Shady. Self-absorbed? Yes, but to a ludicrous degree, and Slim Shady is consistently undermined by Eminem's/Marshall Mathers' critiques of masculinity, whiteness, and rap culture. When I look to the Kanye in this album I see a massive and over-produced monolith. It is quite an impressive spectacle, but it appears superficial in a way that Slim Shady or (since Kanye straddles the pop-rap line) Lady Gaga do not.

As for the critical response, well, de gustibus non est disputandum I guess, but I don't really like the attribution of this album to the genius of one guy. Kanye hardly appears unaccompanied, and he brings a huge amount of other artists under his yoke for this project. There's nothing wrong with that on face, but in the end it is of course Kanye who gets the credit (royalties notwithstanding), Kanye who will inevitably sweep the Grammies--and I think this album was engineered with awards and reviews in mind. I'm not really sure what I'm getting at here except "white people :rolleyes:," so you can ignore this last paragraph if you like.

I am probably a moron, but I thought the album centered around how he hates himself.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
To me it's about the duality. The egoism and the self-loathing at once.

I haven't really sat down and analyzed every lyric or anything though.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Exactly. It's about this huge balloon ego that should pop from all the holes poked in it but manages to float about through pure self generated steam aka self-motivation/reassurance.

(probably a moron, also)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Did anyone who ordered from Amazon get their record yet? Mine says shipped, but it's been in a city an hour away from me for a week. I could have bought it from my record store by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I thought this Jimmy Kimmel sketch was pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axzxe1a78E

• Locked thread