Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Durgat posted:

Alright I got one from the olden days that I'm trying to remember, so here is what I remember.

It was some kind of space game where you would send ships around and such, not quite like Star Control I don't think. I remember this one scene that would seemingly happen all the time to my ships, which basically equated to a cut-scene of a generic guy in a cockpit putting his hands on his face and then his face explodes.

I can say for certain that it was an old game, and I'm 50% sure I played it on the PC.

This could be Alien Legacy, a resource-management/space exploration game. The cut scene you're describing often happened when ships you sent approached a particular asteroid.

Zubumafoo posted:

Got one I've been trying to rememeber for a while.

Me and my cousin used to play this old Sega Genesis platformer that I can't remember the name of. I seem to remember the art style being on the dark/weird side. The main thing I remember is in between levels you had to do these mini games like tic-tac-toe, or rock paper scissors, to beat the boss? Hopefully someone can recall this one.

It's not exactly dark, but the paper rock scissors boss thingy sounds like Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TabulaRasa
Nov 17, 2005

Ready to fight for right, against wrong!
Here's a request...

A PC Windows games from around 1994-95 I'd guess.

It was a futuristic driver, your car looked like an old jalopy that had been converted into a hover car. Most others looked the same I think. You would drive in these canals, hard to explain but basically the bottom was flat and the walls were on 45 degree angles so you could drive up on the walls if you wished.

You would run different kinds of missions and your car was loaded up with weapons and poo poo. I think you could choose what kind of weapons before missions, though I don't recall exactly.

Overall the areas looked real trashy and gritty.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

TabulaRasa posted:

It was a futuristic driver, your car looked like an old jalopy that had been converted into a hover car.

A lot of this makes it sound like Quarantine, or the Road Warrior sequel. Right sort of age, hover cars, gritty setting, missions and customizable weapons.

I just don't remember the canals so much - that's the only reason I'm not 100% sure.

TabulaRasa
Nov 17, 2005

Ready to fight for right, against wrong!

Major Ryan posted:

A lot of this makes it sound like Quarantine, or the Road Warrior sequel. Right sort of age, hover cars, gritty setting, missions and customizable weapons.

I just don't remember the canals so much - that's the only reason I'm not 100% sure.

Looked at some screen caps of that and I should mention that I don't think there was any in-dash view option. All the view angles are from outside the car.

The "canals" for lack of a better term were a part of the challenge because ultimately they ended up being a maze or dead ends where you had to swing around and fight your way out of whoever was chasing you.

Edit> Oh yeah and there was one minor detail that may not help. Even for the age of the game the motor sounds were really nice. I would play the game sometimes just to rev up and tear around the canals. Despite them being all hovering and poo poo it still sounded like they had a gnarly big block V8 or something. Last I remember it was basically always night time in the game... it was very dark.

Edit 2> I remembered I bought the game because I played it on a demo disk that had all sorts of games on it a friend gave me and really dug it. It had some old LucasArts games demos on it too like Full Throttle and some Star Wars FPS. I don't believe it was strictly a LucasArts demo disk though, I looked through the LucasArts games and nothing looked like that game.

TabulaRasa fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 13, 2010

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Zubumafoo posted:

Got one I've been trying to rememeber for a while.

Me and my cousin used to play this old Sega Genesis platformer that I can't remember the name of. I seem to remember the art style being on the dark/weird side. The main thing I remember is in between levels you had to do these mini games like tic-tac-toe, or rock paper scissors, to beat the boss? Hopefully someone can recall this one.
Decap Attack?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBCK6wsnh8A

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 12, 2010

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vakal posted:

It looked a lot like the nes game Shadow Gate below, but it was in black & white. All I remember about it
was watching my older brother fight knights and blob monsters.

In addition to Hal Incandenza's good suggestions, it could certainly be one of the early Wizardry games. Or Akalabeth; yes, it sounds like splitting hairs as most people call it "Ultima 0," but you might not find it if cursorily looking at Ultima games to check them.

For that matter, depending on the time frame we are talking about here, it could have been your brother playing any manner of 1980s or even early 1990s first-person CRPG on a monochrome monitor. Abandoned Places, Dungeon Master/II, Ishar, oh no, I do not even want to think about just how many there were. But I would bet you would have mentioned if your memory were from 1992.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Old old DOS game, where you drove some sort of buggy around (top-down view) on an island that had forests and mountains, and you were hunting down a certain number of missile silos.

Anyone remember what this was?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

The game I'm looking for is on PC. It came out probley in 1997.

I remember the game having a female lead character. It was a futuristic diablo-esque clone. It is not ONI. But I never played it and saw the box and thought it looked fun.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Boo This Man posted:

I remember the game having a female lead character. It was a futuristic diablo-esque clone. It is not ONI. But I never played it and saw the box and thought it looked fun.

Maybe Nox?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm trying to remember the name of a couple games, both for the PS1.

One was an rpg where I think you could transform into different monsters and stuff? I don't think it was turn based combat...That's probably way too vague but, hey, if anyone has any guesses.

The other I remember more vividly. It was this game where you would control characters on a board made up of hexagons and would fight the computer when two characters met. There was a character named quicksilver, a guy riding a hoverbike or something who could kill himself as an attack and a farting rhino.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

PantsBandit posted:

The other I remember more vividly. It was this game where you would control characters on a board made up of hexagons and would fight the computer when two characters met. There was a character named quicksilver, a guy riding a hoverbike or something who could kill himself as an attack and a farting rhino.
Some googling suggests this might be The Unholy War.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Some googling suggests this might be The Unholy War.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

SWATJester posted:

Old old DOS game, where you drove some sort of buggy around (top-down view) on an island that had forests and mountains, and you were hunting down a certain number of missile silos.

Anyone remember what this was?

I remember it and I found the shareware version not all that long ago and I've completely forgotten the name again. Just a sec...

Islands of Danger, a.k.a. Rescue.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe Nox?

Close. Nox is a diablo clone, does have a femal villain. But it was released a few years after the game I was referring to.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Boo This Man posted:

Close. Nox is a diablo clone, does have a femal villain. But it was released a few years after the game I was referring to.

Could be Cybermercs. It came out in 99 and one of the characters was female.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

PantsBandit posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a couple games, both for the PS1.

One was an rpg where I think you could transform into different monsters and stuff? I don't think it was turn based combat...That's probably way too vague but, hey, if anyone has any guesses.

Maybe Persona?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

PantsBandit posted:

If it was an action RPG, this could be Threads of Fate, as transforming into different monsters was the special ability of one of the protagonists.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

If it was an action RPG, this could be Threads of Fate, as transforming into different monsters was the special ability of one of the protagonists.

Yep, this was definitely it. Thanks a lot! I went and found some gameplay and I immediately recognized the main characters weird rear end weapon. I'm still not sure if it's supposed to be some kind of sword-hammer hybrid or what.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Back when I was a kid and picked games solely by their awesome, misleading covers I bought this lovely-rear end driving game for the PS1. You drove some sort of Lamborghini armed with lasers and missiles and drove on some roads in space or something. One distinct "feature" was that you couldn't reverse at all: if you tried to do a 180 degree turn, the game would automatically turn your car around. Also it felt that the competing cars were just spawning randomly for aesthetics and your shooting pleasure. The cover of the game had a red futuristic car with some machine guns mounted to it. I think the name was something like "Auto-Combat". I know of Auto-Destruct which was a semi-good game for its time - the one I'm trying to remember was total poo poo. I think it came out around 1996.

Please help me out! :downs:

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
^^^^ Was it Spy Hunter on the PS2 maybe?

I asked about this a long time ago, but none of the suggestions I got ended up being it. I'm hoping someone new will see this and know what I'm babbling about.

Waaaay back in the day, when computers still used the huge 5" floppies, and 3.25" were a brand new thing, and most computers either ran on DOS or Windows 3.1 (or IBM's proprietary Windows-like platform, which I can't remember the name of), there was this game about being a wizard's apprentice, or being a student at a wizard academy or something like that.

The art style was hand-drawn and cartooney - 2D Sierra-style adventure game perspective that looked and played very much like an old Liesure-Suit Larry game.

You were this nerdy, bumbling wizard wannabe in an academy trying to do I-can't-remember-what. I recall some fairly adult innuendos, and what I'm pretty sure was a frat house. You picked up items, searched things an tried to use things with text commands, very much like Maniac Mansion.

What the hell am I remembering?

Jadz fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 16, 2010

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Jadz posted:

Sounds somewhat like Simon the Sorcerer but it's more like Monkey Island with its interface rather than typing in text commands, if that's what you meant.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Cidrick posted:

Sounds somewhat like Simon the Sorcerer but it's more like Monkey Island with its interface rather than typing in text commands, if that's what you meant.

Very similar, but the screenshots look much too polished and modern. The art style was more Leisure-Suit Larry or Dragon's Lair. Really cartoony.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
If it had a text-interpreter, chances are it used AGI or SCI, so see if any of the games on those lists ring a bell.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Jadz posted:

Nah, it was definitely for PS1. The viewpoint was not 3rd personish (carsonish?) but rather from the driver's seat. There was no visible driving wheel, dashboard or anything though, just the road you saw ahead.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jadz posted:

I asked about this a long time ago, but none of the suggestions I got ended up being it. I'm hoping someone new will see this and know what I'm babbling about.

Waaaay back in the day, when computers still used the huge 5" floppies, and 3.25" were a brand new thing, and most computers either ran on DOS or Windows 3.1 (or IBM's proprietary Windows-like platform, which I can't remember the name of), there was this game about being a wizard's apprentice, or being a student at a wizard academy or something like that.

The art style was hand-drawn and cartooney - 2D Sierra-style adventure game perspective that looked and played very much like an old Liesure-Suit Larry game.

You were this nerdy, bumbling wizard wannabe in an academy trying to do I-can't-remember-what. I recall some fairly adult innuendos, and what I'm pretty sure was a frat house. You picked up items, searched things an tried to use things with text commands, very much like Maniac Mansion.

This has gotta be one of the Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All the Girls games. Definitely had adult themes, like an island of sex-crazed amazons that will literally screw you to death. And the frat house was a location early on as well.

edit: Well...on second thought maybe not, since it wasn't a 2D Sierra game or played like that, they were more like classic Zork-style text adventures except with graphics. But the scenario you describe is a dead ringer.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 16, 2010

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

This has gotta be one of the Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All the Girls games. Definitely had adult themes, like an island of sex-crazed amazons that will literally screw you to death. And the frat house was a location early on as well.

edit: Well...on second thought maybe not, since it wasn't a 2D Sierra game or played like that, they were more like classic Zork-style text adventures except with graphics. But the scenario you describe is a dead ringer.

Yeah, absolutely. I was going to post this too, but you beat me to it.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

YES! This is it! The screenshot showing the courtyard with the bird is EXACTLY the way I remember it. I guess I got the interface a little confused (hey, it's been like 15 years or more :shobon: )

Thanks a bunch!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this Super NES game I used to play at the neighbor kid's house back in the early 90s.

I remember it was a sidescrolling beat-em-up featuring those more "mature" "badass" versions of the Troll dolls (yknow, the ones with potbellies and fuzzy, brightly colored hair?) and you would beat up dudes and get crystals I think? For points? Or health?

That's pretty much all I remember. I don't even remember the name of those toys the game was licensed off of, or I'm sure I'd be able to find it.

The Uber Skull
Feb 2, 2010

Death is pretty in pink
All I know about this game is that it had a medusa like scary lady's head on the cover and it came out in the 90s. It wasn't System Shock, System Shock 2 or Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Anyone got any ideas?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

dropkickpikachu posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this Super NES game I used to play at the neighbor kid's house back in the early 90s.

I remember it was a sidescrolling beat-em-up featuring those more "mature" "badass" versions of the Troll dolls (yknow, the ones with potbellies and fuzzy, brightly colored hair?) and you would beat up dudes and get crystals I think? For points? Or health?

That's pretty much all I remember. I don't even remember the name of those toys the game was licensed off of, or I'm sure I'd be able to find it.
Think I found it. Stone Protectors?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Pablo Gigante posted:

Think I found it. Stone Protectors?

Holy poo poo that's it! Good call. I couldn't remember the name of the lovely cartoon. Looking forward to playing this one again and seeing how terrible a judge of taste I was when I was like 10 years old.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

The Uber Skull posted:

All I know about this game is that it had a medusa like scary lady's head on the cover and it came out in the 90s. It wasn't System Shock, System Shock 2 or Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Anyone got any ideas?

StarCraft: Brood War? :downsrim:

The Uber Skull
Feb 2, 2010

Death is pretty in pink

Discount Viscount posted:

StarCraft: Brood War? :downsrim:

Nope, more medusary than that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boo This Man posted:

Possibly Odium or Gender Wars?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjCqSRW9N4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zblBzyVKewg

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Uber Skull posted:

Anyone got any ideas?

Rings of Medusa, maybe? I never played it, but one of my friends bought it because we were in middle school and found terrible budget pc games hilarious for some reason. Pretty sure Medusa was on the cover.

The Uber Skull
Feb 2, 2010

Death is pretty in pink

Twitch posted:

Rings of Medusa, maybe? I never played it, but one of my friends bought it because we were in middle school and found terrible budget pc games hilarious for some reason. Pretty sure Medusa was on the cover.

This was just a stylised head that looks sort of sculpted, not a whole person.

ETA: Nevermind, I think I found the game myself, looks like it was Dark Seed.

The Uber Skull fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 17, 2010

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

TabulaRasa posted:

Here's a request...

It was a futuristic driver, your car looked like an old jalopy that had been converted into a hover car. Most others looked the same I think. You would drive in these canals, hard to explain but basically the bottom was flat and the walls were on 45 degree angles so you could drive up on the walls if you wished.

You would run different kinds of missions and your car was loaded up with weapons and poo poo. I think you could choose what kind of weapons before missions, though I don't recall exactly.

Overall the areas looked real trashy and gritty.

I'm guessing this is Slipstream 5000

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Was a beat em up type game on the NES, you would go around fight people on the screen, when it was done you would usually pick a door to go to a new room and continue fighting. I remember some of the rooms containing women that would swing their purses at you, another level you were on a motorcycle and could kick other peoples bikes down.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

dms666 posted:

Was a beat em up type game on the NES, you would go around fight people on the screen, when it was done you would usually pick a door to go to a new room and continue fighting. I remember some of the rooms containing women that would swing their purses at you, another level you were on a motorcycle and could kick other peoples bikes down.

Renegade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone remember a flash game from back in the day where you ran around a planet, avoiding obstacles and throwing traps at other players? I remember it was really bright and colorful and I'd really like to find it again.