Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Well, except that the distances and so on don't really make sense. The distance between Westeros and the Free Cities is not Atlantic Ocean distance, and Summer Isles is off the coast of a huge Africa-like continent named Sothoryos.

Yeah, the image a page ago where Westeros is shown against Europe makes much more sense. It plants Dorne square in the Maghreb area of North Africa, the North is pretty much Scandinavia and Braavos is almost Venice (by a few hundred kilometers), which absolutely makes sense.

And I just realized this: the ironmen are a loving Cthulhu cult. The drowned god, what has died can never die again, the Kraken, suddenly it all makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Whoever said that the latter half of AsoS gets amazing was right. After reaching the point where Robb and Catelyn are definitely dead and there's an Arya death fakeout, I powered through the rest of the book in two days. I already had AffC waiting on my shelf, so I picked that up right away and finished it in one week. However, I still have some questions about both books. I looked in the other thread and it didn't seem to be the place for questions so I hope it's alright if I post here instead.

At the end of Storm, what happened to the Horn of Winter? Did the Night's Watch keep it, or did Stannis take it? It was a big deal until it was actually revealed and then everyone kind of just forgot about it.

During Feast, what exactly happened between Littlefinger, Sansa and Lysa? I know Littlefinger murdered Lysa, but did Lysa really try to kill Sansa, or was Sansa just repeating a lie fed to her? Why would Lysa try to kill her in the first place? Clearly she was crazy but that's not a good enough explanation. I feel like there was some incident alluded to that I just missed completely.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."

Huge Liability posted:

At the end of Storm, what happened to the Horn of Winter? Did the Night's Watch keep it, or did Stannis take it? It was a big deal until it was actually revealed and then everyone kind of just forgot about it.

Most of the stuff pertaining to the North happening concurrently with the events in A Feast for Crows will be revealed in A Dance with Dragons.

Huge Liability posted:

During Feast, what exactly happened between Littlefinger, Sansa and Lysa? I know Littlefinger murdered Lysa, but did Lysa really try to kill Sansa, or was Sansa just repeating a lie fed to her? Why would Lysa try to kill her in the first place? Clearly she was crazy but that's not a good enough explanation. I feel like there was some incident alluded to that I just missed completely.

What lie? I don't remember.

In any case, Lysa is incredibly jealous and always has been. Especially since Petyr always loved Catelyn, rather than her. Seeing Petyr kiss Sansa pushed her over the deep end a bit, and since she is loathe to blame Petyr, she directs her anger at Sansa (and by Proxy, Catelyn). Also, she's crazy, reclusive, and a little power-mad.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Huge Liability posted:

My guess is it is in stannis or snow's hands and will be reintroduced later on in the story.

quote:

Lysa is definitely capable of killing sansa and as time went on she'd be more and more likely to do it. Lysa felt highly threatened by sansa: 1) It's plain littlefinger has the hots for her, 2) it's also plain he always liked her sister catelyn more, and sansa is now basically a facsimile of cat from 'round the time petyr really yearned for her, 3) sansa's mere presence and the prospect of her marrying MY BABY really stirs up all her hosed up MY BABY complexes and that in itself is a whole conglomerate of threats she perceives towards MY BABY

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Bhaal posted:

My guess is it is in stannis or snow's hands and will be reintroduced later on in the story.

I was always suspicious that it was the actual Horn of Winter- I think Mance was bluffing. It would be nice if that was how The Wall fell- the Others have the real Horn.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJR3eBfcusM

After watching this four or five times, I have to say that Sean Bean is going to be heart-breaking as Ned.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bhaal posted:

Lysa is definitely capable of killing sansa and as time went on she'd be more and more likely to do it. Lysa felt highly threatened by sansa: 1) It's plain littlefinger has the hots for her, 2) it's also plain he always liked her sister catelyn more, and sansa is now basically a facsimile of cat from 'round the time petyr really yearned for her, 3) sansa's mere presence and the prospect of her marrying MY BABY really stirs up all her hosed up MY BABY complexes and that in itself is a whole conglomerate of threats she perceives towards MY BABY

I love how much you nailed this.

PS- Don't watch the behind-the-scenes video unless you like seeing glimpses of things you're not supposed to. There are no major spoilers, but you will see more out-of-context shots than you probably should.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I thought we could spoil GoT in this thread? Because there's nothing in the behind-the-scenes that would spoil anything for a reader of Thrones.

Except if you don't want the actual character appearances, set designs, or maybe extra scenes spoiled for you.

And speaking of which, I'm curious as to what the scene between Jon and Jaime would pertain to.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

bengraven posted:

And speaking of which, I'm curious as to what the scene between Jon and Jaime would pertain to.

"You know, loving your sister is actually pretty enjoyable. You should try it someday."

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

3Romeo posted:

"You know, loving your sister is actually pretty enjoyable. You should try it someday."

*looks at Arya, then shakes his head quickly*

"I...I...I don't know what you're talking about Ser..."

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I was thinking more of the inevitable Jon Dany get-together.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

3Romeo posted:

Let us know how that works out for you.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

3Romeo posted:

Dany would be Jon's aunt, not his sister if that particular theory is true.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Oh. That's much worse.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

3Romeo posted:

Oh. That's much worse.

If my aunt looked like Emilia Clarke, I would fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Final section of Clash of Kings
Why did Bran and Rickon seperate? I read it twice and both times it seemed rushed and vague.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

blue squares posted:

Final section of Clash of Kings
Why did Bran and Rickon seperate? I read it twice and both times it seemed rushed and vague.

As Robb's heirs, it's better if they separate because if one is caught and killed, the other will still survive to claim Winterfell if poo poo ever settles down. A secondary reason is that Bran is obvious as hell, what with the riding a huge man who can only say 'Hodor' and all, so it protects Rickon somewhat to be separated from him. A tertiary reason is because Rickon is boring and annoying and I for one was tired of reading about him.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

As Robb's heirs, it's better if they separate because if one is caught and killed, the other will still survive to claim Winterfell if poo poo ever settles down. A secondary reason is that Bran is obvious as hell, what with the riding a huge man who can only say 'Hodor' and all, so it protects Rickon somewhat to be separated from him. A tertiary reason is because Rickon is boring and annoying and I for one was tired of reading about him.

Thanks for the great response, Showbiz Liz.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've finally caught up with the series. George Martin needs to stop swilling ale with his larping buddies and finish writing the next bloody book. The images at the start of this thread are incredible, are there any more?

I think I'm pretty up to date on everything that has gone on in the series, but there's one detail that I can't quite understand: What is Petyr Baelish's motivation in luring the Starks to court by engineering the assassination of Jon Arryn and pinning his death on the Lannisters?

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Montalvo posted:

I think I'm pretty up to date on everything that has gone on in the series, but there's one detail that I can't quite understand: What is Petyr Baelish's motivation in luring the Starks to court by engineering the assassination of Jon Arryn and pinning his death on the Lannisters?

To get back at Ned for humiliating him in a duel for Catelyn.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

Boogle posted:

To get back at Ned for humiliating him in a duel for Catelyn.

Pretty sure that duel was with Brandon. As far as littlefingers motivations go... Nobody really knows. Power? The Starks are ruined, The Lannisters are sinking fast, and Petyr controls a third of the kingdom, has Sansa in pocket to take the north, and who knows what kind of deal he really made with the Tyrells.. Im of the opinion that he's playing the game just to play the game.

Mr_Companie fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 16, 2010

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mr_Companie posted:

Pretty sure that duel was with Brandon. As far as littlefingers motivations go... Nobody really knows. Power? The Starks are ruined, The Lannisters are sinking fast, and Petyr controls a third of the kingdom, has Sansa in pocket to take the north, and who knows what kind of deal he really made with the Tyrells.. Im of the opinion that he's playing the game just to play the game.

There's an element of that, for sure, but there's also power to be won.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Mr_Companie posted:

I get the impression his goal was just to stir up as much chaos as he could, because in chaos he sees potential opportunities. As we can see, has has pretty effectively exploited the chaos so far to his advantage.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also did anyone else find A Feast for Crows to be a little more dry than the previous books?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Montalvo posted:

Also did anyone else find A Feast for Crows to be a little more dry than the previous books?

I wouldn't call the myrish swamp dry :pervert:

Aug 15, 2010
Quick question(s) regarding the last book, AFFC. Apologies for this being in ACOK Thread.

Regarding Jon at The Wall: When he sends Sam under the special passageway under The Wall with Coldhands and Ricton (sp?) there is never another mention of their "quest". Also, any clue to why Coldhands is helping them? (My guess, it's Jon's uncle who was lost beyond The Wall.)

TIA

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

1554 posted:

Quick question(s) regarding the last book, AFFC. Apologies for this being in ACOK Thread.

Regarding Jon at The Wall: When he sends Sam under the special passageway under The Wall with Coldhands and Ricton (sp?) there is never another mention of their "quest". Also, any clue to why Coldhands is helping them? (My guess, it's Jon's uncle who was lost beyond The Wall.)

TIA

Its a common theory that coldhands is indeed Jon's Uncle Benjen. Thats what I lean towards. I think theres a few sentences which reinforce this.

Where rickon is. Its a mystery!

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

1554 posted:

TIA

Well, actually, Coldhands had Sam send Bran, Jojen, Meera, and Hodor under the Wall. Rickon and Osha split off earlier, presumably heading to White Harbor. Do you mean Bran's quest, then? He's looking for the Three Eyed Crow to learn more warging (and maybe other magic?). And yes, Coldhands=Benjen is the prevailing theory.

Aug 15, 2010

Jorenko posted:

Well, actually, Coldhands had Sam send Bran, Jojen, Meera, and Hodor under the Wall. Rickon and Osha split off earlier, presumably heading to White Harbor. Do you mean Bran's quest, then? He's looking for the Three Eyed Crow to learn more warging (and maybe other magic?). And yes, Coldhands=Benjen is the prevailing theory.

My mistake. I transposed Bran and Rickon. Been a while since I read it!!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

zedar posted:

I get the impression his goal was just to stir up as much chaos as he could, because in chaos he sees potential opportunities. As we can see, has has pretty effectively exploited the chaos so far to his advantage.

I think he saw that the Lannisters were closing their grip around the Iron Throne, and the game in general; so he needed to stir poo poo up. Also, if the lannister kids had been exposed as illigimate, Stannis would be the heir, and all the brothels Littlefinger owned would be closed.

ninja edit: [/spoiler]

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I always figured Coldhands for one of the Children.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I'm a little more than halfway through A Clash of Kings and am speculating that Jon's mother is Lyanna Stark and his father is Rhaegar Targaryen, thus explaining the "Promise me, Ned." Though it's pure speculation, it's spoiled because I'm certain I'm correct.

I totally missed the Joffrey-is-a-bastard reveal so I'm hoping I got this one. I can't wait to finish this book, tear through the next two, and then join the bad/good thread.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Haraksha posted:

I always figured Coldhands for one of the Children.

yeah, im actually leaning away from Coldhands being Benjen. If he was, wouldn't he just reveal himself to them so they will just trust him outright or what?

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."

scr0llwheel posted:

I'm a little more than halfway through A Clash of Kings and am speculating that Jon's mother is Lyanna Stark and his father is Rhaegar Targaryen, thus explaining the "Promise me, Ned." Though it's pure speculation, it's spoiled because I'm certain I'm correct.

I totally missed the Joffrey-is-a-bastard reveal so I'm hoping I got this one. I can't wait to finish this book, tear through the next two, and then join the bad/good thread.

That is the prevailing theory concerning Jon. There are some wonderful write-ups on that, too. Avoid them until you finish the published material, though.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Jon's mother hasn't been revealed in the books yet? I'm surprised.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

scr0llwheel posted:

Jon's mother hasn't been revealed in the books yet? I'm surprised.

The only person who knows for sure is Howland Reed and he knows a bunch of other poo poo that can't really be revealed yet.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished CoK and was disappointed by the ending. Maybe the awesome endings (yes, plural) of GoT spoiled me but I was hoping for more. Regardless, on to the third.

scr0llwheel fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 20, 2010

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
When I finished AFFC I also wanted more.

But your in for a treat with SoS. Not just awesome endings but awesome everywhere.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

scr0llwheel posted:

Just finished CoK and was disappointed by the ending. Maybe the awesome endings (yes, plural) of GoT spoiled me but I was hoping for more. Regardless, on to the third.
He goes in cycles of building things up and knocking them down, and for the amount of action that takes place in CoK, most of the book is yet more buildup. SoS on the other hand....

(And this is why it's especially frustrating that he stopped writing after book 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

scr0llwheel posted:

CoK reminds me a bit of Two Towers. Sure it has a much hyped battle in it, but frankly it's the low point between two better bookends.

Don't worry, the last 1/4 of SoS is the best parts of the series.

• Locked thread