  • Post
dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

McMadCow posted:

Good deals do happen, though. You just have to be patient and thorough. I just bought a classic car on CL about a month ago for about half of what it would be worth if I wanted to flip it. On the other side of that coin, I have a friend who was ripped off to the tune of thousands by a BUYER on Ebay who exploited Paypal's buyer protection.

A friend of mine found a Nikon mount Promaster 17-50 f/2.8 (it's just a rebadged Tamron) for $85 on Craigslist. Turned out to be a dentist that just didn't know what it was worth.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm not going to complain about my 85 f/1.8 I got for $150 on CL.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm not going to complain about my 85 f/1.8 I got for $150 on CL.

drat, I thought I was going crazy when I saw one for $250 a month or so ago. I messaged the guy like two hours after he posted it and it was already gone. How fast did you see the $150 that it was still there?

But then I guess I was pressing my luck after getting a brand new 100mm 2.8 Macro (non L, obviously) for $360.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Or my $20 Canon 55/1.2, from some old lady on CL trying to get rid of her husband's old stuff before they moved to a much warmer state.

I see awesome bargains on forums all the time...I've had great luck buying from people here, rangefinderforum, largeformatphotography, etc. You'll have to be very patient, but better-than-KEH prices can and will come up.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
He actually was selling an N90 film camera, and the description showed an 85 f/1.8. I took a shot at it, and there it was. So he had no idea how much the lens was worth.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Took my camera along to the office xmas party (there's around 50-60 of us), consumed a lot of booze and took photos during the night. Shared photos with the office on Monday.

Got an email from one of the department managers "Mate, not criticism, just a minor comment to consider. X, X and X are not in any of these photos but the bartender working for the bowling place has 4 photos…"

Now let's get one thing straight, I took photos of the round of shots the bartender was pouring for us - as you can see in the picture below, the subject of the photo is obviously the alcohol - not the bartender.

Additionally I wasn't being paid to cover the event and there was no law stopping anyone else bringing a bloody camera!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

psylent posted:

Additionally I wasn't being paid to cover the event and there was no law stopping anyone else bringing a bloody camera!

Then gently caress 'em.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, stop giving a gently caress.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Yea, seriously, what a dick. The next function, take a million pictures of just him making stupid faces as he talks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

If you want to smooth things over, just say you took pictures of them but they were too blurry or whatever.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
If you work in an office, the LAST thing you want them to know is that you're competent with a camera. I work for a multi-billion dollar international company, I'm the lowest-paid admin lackey in the office, and I STILL have to routinely turn down request for pictures that the company is unwilling to pay for. All. the. time.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug