Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

McMadCow posted:

Good deals do happen, though. You just have to be patient and thorough. I just bought a classic car on CL about a month ago for about half of what it would be worth if I wanted to flip it. On the other side of that coin, I have a friend who was ripped off to the tune of thousands by a BUYER on Ebay who exploited Paypal's buyer protection.

A friend of mine found a Nikon mount Promaster 17-50 f/2.8 (it's just a rebadged Tamron) for $85 on Craigslist. Turned out to be a dentist that just didn't know what it was worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm not going to complain about my 85 f/1.8 I got for $150 on CL.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm not going to complain about my 85 f/1.8 I got for $150 on CL.

drat, I thought I was going crazy when I saw one for $250 a month or so ago. I messaged the guy like two hours after he posted it and it was already gone. How fast did you see the $150 that it was still there?

But then I guess I was pressing my luck after getting a brand new 100mm 2.8 Macro (non L, obviously) for $360.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Or my $20 Canon 55/1.2, from some old lady on CL trying to get rid of her husband's old stuff before they moved to a much warmer state.

I see awesome bargains on forums all the time...I've had great luck buying from people here, rangefinderforum, largeformatphotography, etc. You'll have to be very patient, but better-than-KEH prices can and will come up.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
He actually was selling an N90 film camera, and the description showed an 85 f/1.8. I took a shot at it, and there it was. So he had no idea how much the lens was worth.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Took my camera along to the office xmas party (there's around 50-60 of us), consumed a lot of booze and took photos during the night. Shared photos with the office on Monday.

Got an email from one of the department managers "Mate, not criticism, just a minor comment to consider. X, X and X are not in any of these photos but the bartender working for the bowling place has 4 photos…"

Now let's get one thing straight, I took photos of the round of shots the bartender was pouring for us - as you can see in the picture below, the subject of the photo is obviously the alcohol - not the bartender.

Additionally I wasn't being paid to cover the event and there was no law stopping anyone else bringing a bloody camera!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

psylent posted:

Additionally I wasn't being paid to cover the event and there was no law stopping anyone else bringing a bloody camera!

Then gently caress 'em.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alternatively, stop giving a gently caress.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Yea, seriously, what a dick. The next function, take a million pictures of just him making stupid faces as he talks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

If you want to smooth things over, just say you took pictures of them but they were too blurry or whatever.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
If you work in an office, the LAST thing you want them to know is that you're competent with a camera. I work for a multi-billion dollar international company, I'm the lowest-paid admin lackey in the office, and I STILL have to routinely turn down request for pictures that the company is unwilling to pay for. All. the. time.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

quote:

Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2010 8:28 AM
To: Dept Manager
Subject: RE: Xmas Party Photos
I shot the people I hung around and what I was doing – and we did quite a few shots. It’s not really up to me to get photos of everyone, anyone else could have brought a camera with them – I know Sharon did.

Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2010 9:03 AM
To: Me

I know mate but u R the 1 doing it so well and consistently so I thought I'd ask nicely anyway :)

Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2010 9:06 AM
Thanks. When COMPANY starts paying me for photography then I’ll start offering complete coverage of all company events :)

Cheers

The :) makes it less bitter. And what the gently caress is is with a manager writing like a 14 year old girl on a phone?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

psylent posted:

Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2010 9:06 AM
Thanks. When COMPANY starts paying me for photography then I’ll start offering complete coverage of all company events
Cheers
:golfclap:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I got poo poo from my friends over Facebook after I posted some photos from a friend's wedding because I had a bunch of shots of the people I was hanging out with and only a couple of the bride and groom. They were on the other side of the reception hall and I wasn't going to step on the toes of the wedding photographer to indulge in my hobby.

"I didn't bring my camera to the reception because I didn't want to have to look after it." Well, then deal with not having the photos you want.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

aliencowboy posted:

I got poo poo from my friends over Facebook after I posted some photos from a friend's wedding because I had a bunch of shots of the people I was hanging out with and only a couple of the bride and groom. They were on the other side of the reception hall and I wasn't going to step on the toes of the wedding photographer to indulge in my hobby.

"I didn't bring my camera to the reception because I didn't want to have to look after it." Well, then deal with not having the photos you want.

gently caress 'em.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

psylent posted:

The :) makes it less bitter. And what the gently caress is is with a manager writing like a 14 year old girl on a phone?

There are some very senior people in some very wealthy organisations who literally cannot turn on a computer.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Fists Up posted:

There are some very senior people in some very wealthy organisations who literally cannot turn on a computer.
I work for an IT outsourcer. This guy is an SQL/Sharepoint developer :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You know, it may actually be very sage advice.

X, X and X might get pissed at you for deliberately not taking their photos.

They won't say anything to your face, but will badmouth you behind your back for the rest of the time you work in the same company.

Petty, unbelievable and childlike? Yes.

Plausible? Yes.

Especially if X is a middle-aged woman.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

spog posted:

You know, it may actually be very sage advice.

X, X and X might get pissed at you for deliberately not taking their photos.

They won't say anything to your face, but will badmouth you behind your back for the rest of the time you work in the same company.

Petty, unbelievable and childlike? Yes.

Plausible? Yes.

Especially if X is a middle-aged woman.

Dude probably just wanted photos for his secret folder.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

psylent posted:

I work for an IT outsourcer. This guy is an SQL/Sharepoint developer :(
You should know better than to talk to devs! 8)

e: also this

mr. mephistopheles posted:

No, you still sound like an rear end in a top hat. I mean, you're totally justified, but office politics isn't usually a game you want to gently caress around with.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 16, 2010

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

psylent posted:

The :) makes it less bitter.

No, you still sound like an rear end in a top hat. I mean, you're totally justified, but office politics isn't usually a game you want to gently caress around with. I'm telling you, I've used the "they came out bad" excuse before and people are always understanding. Then you look like you try to maintain the integrity of your work, which anyone can sympathize with, rather than just not giving a poo poo because you're not getting paid.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Sometimes you just need to suck it up and look like an rear end in a top hat, though. A consultant in my office went to my BOSS to get me to take headshots of him for a magazine in which his article and bio was being published. They of course wanted me to do it for free. I said absolutely not and they had someone else do it.

I really don't care if that makes me look like an rear end in a top hat in their eyes. That was for publication and it was advertising for the company. They look like assholes for expecting me to do that for free.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Sometimes you just need to suck it up and look like an rear end in a top hat, though. A consultant in my office went to my BOSS to get me to take headshots of him for a magazine in which his article and bio was being published. They of course wanted me to do it for free. I said absolutely not and they had someone else do it.

I really don't care if that makes me look like an rear end in a top hat in their eyes. That was for publication and it was advertising for the company. They look like assholes for expecting me to do that for free.

I personally like to bust out a brief, sanctimonious lecture about amateurs undermining the profession of photography, and having too much respect for the craft to contribute to its erosion. I'm sorry, it's just a personal principle. Just hire a professional or find someone who doesn't care.
\
:smugdog::pipe:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

McMadCow posted:

I would rather be an rear end in a top hat than a pushover.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^^^Exactly

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I personally like to bust out a brief, sanctimonious lecture about amateurs undermining the profession of photography, and having too much respect for the craft to contribute to its erosion. I'm sorry, it's just a personal principle. Just hire a professional or find someone who doesn't care.
\
:smugdog::pipe:

Our consultants make deep into the six figures per year while I tiptoe the poverty line. I've spent just as much time working and training for photography as they have for... whatever the gently caress it is they do. If they don't see the value in what I do, then I'm not doing it for them. I didn't get sanctimonious, I'm the lowest peon on the totem pole, I definitely know better than that. I just said no.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think anyone's suggesting otherwise. Nobody should let themselves be pressured into doing what is essentially a paid job for free just because you happen to own a camera and know how to use it.

I think a bunch of us just feel that last email could have been worded a little differently :)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

McMadCow posted:

You should've offered to do it for free if you got to put your creative touch on it and then done some nice MF shots of him standing in a field with his shirt off.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You should've offered to do it for free if you got to put your creative touch on it and then done some nice MF shots of him standing in a field with his shirt off.

There's a reason the people I work with are actuarial consultants and not nude models.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

McMadCow posted:

There's a reason the people I work with are actuarial consultants and not nude models.

Exactly why they need your skilled touch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Nothing a little* HDR SLIDER TO THE RIGHT won't fix.

*lot

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

McMadCow posted:

This is a completely different scenario, though. This is asking you to do published work for free, which is insulting, frankly. All the other guy did was say "hey, maybe you could take more pictures of everybody so they don't feel left out." If you're not an rear end in a top hat about the first one then you're an idiot, but being an rear end in a top hat about the second just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat.

"I just don't want people feeling left out."
"gently caress YOU IF EVERYONE WANTS A PICTURE PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT."

One is being asked to do professional work for nothing, and one is asking you to consider that people might feel like you don't like them. Having some awareness of other peoples feelings doesn't make you a pushover. And it wasn't like the guy said, "HEY DON'T DO THIS" he just was making a friendly suggestion. Goddamn.

Martytoof posted:

I don't think anyone's suggesting otherwise. Nobody should let themselves be pressured into doing what is essentially a paid job for free just because you happen to own a camera and know how to use it.

I think a bunch of us just feel that last email could have been worded a little differently :)

This thing.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

One is being asked to do professional work for nothing, and one is asking you to consider that people might feel like you don't like them. Having some awareness of other peoples feelings doesn't make you a pushover. And it wasn't like the guy said, "HEY DON'T DO THIS" he just was making a friendly suggestion. Goddamn.
It's not a friendly suggestion. According to the post above, the manager was asking for all employees at the event to be covered, not that a certain individual felt bad about being skipped. That's a fair request for an event photographer, but not for a guy who's just having a good time taking photos of what he likes.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

No, you still sound like an rear end in a top hat. I mean, you're totally justified, but office politics isn't usually a game you want to gently caress around with. I'm telling you, I've used the "they came out bad" excuse before and people are always understanding. Then you look like you try to maintain the integrity of your work, which anyone can sympathize with, rather than just not giving a poo poo because you're not getting paid.
Actually, he sounds like as rear end in a top hat. I really should have asked to see the photos his guys took of me on the night. I wasn't working and it wasn't my job to ensure no one felt left out, I was drinking and messing around with my friends. I was under no obligation to take any photos at all. I had another guy who I've spoken to maybe four times in two years complain that I only got one photo of him bowling. gently caress's sake. If they're that desperate to have me take their photo they would have been more than welcome to ask me at any point during the night and I would have happily obliged.

gently caress office politics.

psylent fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 17, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Two words usually solve that issue:

"Group photo!"

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
If you end up bringing your camera to any other parties, make sure to take a few shots with a 5+ second shutter speed so you can just say "the picture of x,y,z turned out pretty badly so I didn't post them up" If anyone calls you on your poo poo, just show them the picture.

You shouldn't ever feel obligated to photograph everybody at an event where you're not a paid photographer, but someone felt left out and bitched about it.

e: Avoiding office politics games would be the best route to take, you don't want to give in and get nagged at for not taking photos at another event or some garbage, and you don't want to make any enemies.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 17, 2010

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMERZ-PHOTO-CONTROL-201-001-SLR-ZOOM-70mm-CAMERA-/380026961962?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item587b5f402a#ht_3080wt_1141

Does anyone know what the hell this thing is?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Not sure, but it does have a Kinderfoto (franchise portrait studio?) inventory badge. Could this be some industry-specific all-in-one setup designed to be used by employees with minimal training? v:raise:v

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

It's a camera made specifically for taking a poo poo ton of portraits in a single session. Mostly used for school pictures. I've seen a pair of these listed on the local craigslist. No idea what kind of film would be needed to go in them.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just bought my first dslr last Friday. Yay!

Now I'm chilling at my folks' house and my Dad is offering to loan me his Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3. This thing must weigh 7+ pounds and could pretty easily be mistaken for a surface-to-air missile :ohdear:

Then he let me toy around with his 135mm f/4 f/3.5 :hellyeah:

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aircraft
Nov 2, 2007

Eegah posted:

Now I'm chilling at my folks' house and my Dad is offering to loan me his Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3. This thing must weigh 7+ pounds and could pretty easily be mistaken for a surface-to-air missile :ohdear:

It was, actually - you probably wouldn't want to pull out that lens if there's an Apache attack helicopter circling ominously overhead