Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
There's really no point in converting txt files though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

LooseChanj posted:

There's really no point in converting txt files though.

If you have text files that
are full of manual line breaks
like this.

Calibre will strip those out so that it flows naturally, so you don't get weird line breaks.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Oh, TXT files are fine? OK.

The Kindle doesn't support HTML for books, though, does it? So I should convert those?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

madprocess posted:

like this.

Calibre will strip those out so that it flows naturally, so you don't get weird line breaks.
Can Calibre strip those kinds of problems from PDFs? I've been messing around with it a bit and all I can do is make a normal but somewhat squinty PDF into something that looks like it was written by a crazy person who loves the tab and enter keys carnally.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 16, 2010

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Girlfriend just got her nook today; stupid question, how the hell do we find the free books from B&N?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Sputnik posted:

Girlfriend just got her nook today; stupid question, how the hell do we find the free books from B&N?

Like these kind of free books? http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can Calibre strip those kinds of problems from PDFs? I've been messing around with it a bit and all I can do is make a normal but somewhat squinty PDF into something that looks like it was written by a crazy person who loves the tab and enter keys carnally.

It may be that the wrecked formatting of a converted pdf is too crazy to fix automatically. It is a lot easier for a parser to notice and remove a linebreak every 80 characters or something.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Like these kind of free books? http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Barnes and Noble has a bunch of books for free, and it's easy to find them listed on the site, but going through the nook we don't see the free ones grouped together anywhere. Just come across them listed among everything else.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Saint Sputnik posted:

Barnes and Noble has a bunch of books for free, and it's easy to find them listed on the site, but going through the nook we don't see the free ones grouped together anywhere. Just come across them listed among everything else.
Do a search in the shop menu for 0.00.
Easier yet; log onto bn.com with the same email and password you used to register the nook, find the free books you want and get them for free while logged into the account, then go to my library on the nook and select check for new content, the online account will sync with your device and the books should show up.

jfff fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 16, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

withak posted:

It may be that the wrecked formatting of a converted pdf is too crazy to fix automatically. It is a lot easier for a parser to notice and remove a linebreak every 80 characters or something.
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. The other, much better solution seems to be to just turn the device sideways, when I do that it somehow grows a brain and actually stretches the text to fit the screen.

edit: do any of the buttons that are part of the main keypad of the device move through pages, or it is on the buttons on the side of the kindle? When holding it sideways they are not the most convenient way to turn pages.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

jfff posted:

Do a search in the shop menu for 0.00.
Easier yet; log onto bn.com with the same email and password you used to register the nook, find the free books you want and get them for free while logged into the account, then go to my library on the nook and select check for new content, the online account will sync with your device and the books should show up.

Thanks for that. She seems pretty bugged with it already though and is talking about returning it. Go figure.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Here's a list from the website of the current free ebooks that are being pushed by B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379001668/?start=1&cds2Pid=29905

Keep an eye on that, because sometimes surprising stuff will pop up, or there will be deals where you can get a bunch of classics for free. Last year I snagged a ton of Charles Dickens when they had a different themed "free classics" deal every week. Obviously you can get most of those free anyway, but in that case they'll often be just straight scans from public domain works in libraries, these are the "B&N classics" versions that have nice footnotes and stuff included.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I asked a while ago about Kindle cases. A few people recommended the Timbuk2 Envelope Sleeve, but this doesn't seem likely to be available in the UK any time soon. My remaining choices are the BUILT Neoprene Kindle Sleeve or the Belkin Grip Kindle Sleeve.

Does anyone have any recommendation on which of the two latter cases would be best?

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

I don't know about the Belkin but I love the BUILT one. The Kindle fits very snugly and doesn't fall out even if I turn the sleeve upside down and shake it. I will warn you that the lime green is a lot more eye-searingly bright than the picture makes it look. Green's my favourite colour but it was so bad I returned it and went for black.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Clara posted:

I don't know about the Belkin but I love the BUILT one. The Kindle fits very snugly and doesn't fall out even if I turn the sleeve upside down and shake it. I will warn you that the lime green is a lot more eye-searingly bright than the picture makes it look. Green's my favourite colour but it was so bad I returned it and went for black.
So is there a fair bit of padding in the BUILT one?

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

There isn't a ton--it's a pretty slim sleeve. I wouldn't depend on it to protect the Kindle if it was dropped, I just use it to make sure my keys don't scratch the screen when it's in my purse and to keep it from getting dirty. If you're looking for more robust protection another case or sleeve would be better.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've been looking at a few reviews of these cases - there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the protection they offer. Looks more like a matter of personal preference than anything else. God I'm so indecisive.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to make .doc files into .pdf?

vvv oh sweet, thanks!

Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 17, 2010

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Guilty posted:

Office 2007 can do this, just chose save as .pdf.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I asked a while ago about Kindle cases. A few people recommended the Timbuk2 Envelope Sleeve, but this doesn't seem likely to be available in the UK any time soon. My remaining choices are the BUILT Neoprene Kindle Sleeve or the Belkin Grip Kindle Sleeve.

Does anyone have any recommendation on which of the two latter cases would be best?

I got this case based on a recommendation from the last thread. It just came in today. While I haven't had much time with it yet, I am really liking it so far. It holds the kindle snugly, it looks nice and unassuming, it protects while leaving all of the buttons accessible. The cover folds back without any issues, and the clasp to shut it is metallic, and it even has screens in the back for the speakers. The company is based in the UK, so shipping shouldn't be too slow or expensive. I waited a little over two weeks to get mine, but I'm in the states.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Guilty posted:

vvv oh sweet, thanks!

If this is for Calibre, RTF works as well.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been looking at a few reviews of these cases - there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the protection they offer. Looks more like a matter of personal preference than anything else. God I'm so indecisive.

I really, really love my official leather case with light. If someone kidnapped it I would probably pay the ransom and then spend the night comforting it. Just saying, those sleeve-style cases seem like a huge pain in the rear end in comparison.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I prefer the leather covers myself, not the sleeve ones.

Sleeve ones:
Pros -
Cheaper, I guess..
Protects better from liquid based mishaps/keeps poo poo out of holes/ports.

Cons -
I'm not 12 anymore, and this seriously feels like a velcro wallet for an adult.
Gotta unzip every time you want to read.

"Book" ones:
Pros -
Looks awesome.
Tend to be more rigid, meaning less chance of damage to screen.
Ereader feels more like a book.

Cons -
More expensive.
Limited choice of colors.
Doesn't keep poo poo out of ports/holes on ereader.

There are arguments to make for both styles, but if I had a choice, I would go with the leather book style cover.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

"Book" ones:
Pros -
Looks awesome.
Tend to be more rigid, meaning less chance of damage to screen.
Ereader feels more like a book.

Cons -
More expensive.
Limited choice of colors.
Doesn't keep poo poo out of ports/holes on ereader.

There are arguments to make for both styles, but if I had a choice, I would go with the leather book style cover.

The con that had me switch to a sleeve: extra weight and bulk while holding the device and reading. I started out with the official folder style holder for my Kindle 2, but found I kept taking the Kindle out to use naked since it was lighter and easier to use the buttons while holding it up to read.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cheers for the input folks. At the moment I'm not considering an attachable cover as I intend to read the Kindle naked. I'm not 12 anymore either, but I have a bunch of nieces who run around the place so I'd like something to completely cover the device.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I am finally off probation. I am still down for posting up awesome Kindle screen savers in the 2nd post of the OP, so if you want it included please repost below.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Okay this is really pissing me off, I need to get my Kindle updated to 3.0.2 from 3.0.1 but I can't find the update anywhere because Amazon is only posting their preview for 3.0.3. Is there a link floating around somebody can point me to? I've got lockups like whoa.

Edit: And of course found it 2 seconds after posting
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/Update_kindle_3.0.2_B008.bin

Ferg fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2010

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Hooray, another PDF question. (sorry)

I get that the e-ink readers aren't optimal for reading PDFs, but my question is just "how bad" are they? I don't have the budget for an iPad, and if the kindle 3 isn't going to work then are the android tablets any good? I want a relatively inexpensive eReader to read my computer books on so that I don't have to carry 20-30lbs of book everywhere. I also don't want to re-buy all the books I already have just to get them in Kindle format.

If somebody with a kindle could test this PDF and let me know if the diagrams still flow/display properly that would be really helpful.

http://crymore.com/img/ccna-pages.pdf

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Most pdfs (including that one) render perfectly in the new Kindle, it's just a bit too small to comfortably read them. Landscape mode makes it a lot better but it's not ideal.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Oben posted:

Most pdfs (including that one) render perfectly in the new Kindle, it's just a bit too small to comfortably read them. Landscape mode makes it a lot better but it's not ideal.

So if "too small" is the core problem, wouldn't an LCD eReader be the same?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The difference with an LCD reader is that it will do a much better job with zooming and scrolling because the screen refreshes so much faster.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

madprocess posted:

like this.

I've never gotten this to work, sadly. Maybe Calibre isn't detecting txt files properly? I also wind up with a lot that have double spacing between paragraphs, or hard line breaks in the middle of a sentence, like following:

quote:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus molestie gravida imperdiet. Suspendisse tincidunt nisl at nibh egestas id sagittis quam venenatis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Cras feugiat ligula eu elit porttitor eu mattis metus posuere. Donec non erat urna. Sed semper euismod elementum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Phasellus molestie gravida imperdiet. Suspendisse tincidunt nisl at nibh egestas id sagittis quam venenatis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Cras feugiat ligula eu elit porttitor eu mattis metus posuere. Donec non erat urna. Sed semper euismod elementum.

Or

quote:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing

elit. Phasellus molestie gravida imperdiet. Suspendisse tincidunt nisl at nibh egestas id sagittis quam venenatis. Aliquam erat

volutpat. Cras feugiat ligula eu elit porttitor eu mattis metus posuere. Donec non erat urna. Sed semper euismod elementum.

Wish I knew how to fix this.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

If somebody with a kindle could test this PDF and let me know if the diagrams still flow/display properly that would be really helpful.

http://crymore.com/img/ccna-pages.pdf

Here's a couple shots of your PDF on a Kindle 3, in portrait and landscape views. There's no "reflow" in a PDF, that's the whole point of PDFs. They're supposed to display in the intended layout no matter where they're viewed.

Portrait view is legible, but would be a bit of a strain for more than the occasional skimming. Landscape is better.

These are kinda huge, to show what the resolution (800x600 if I'm not mistaken) does to the pictures and diagrams. Remember the screen is only 6" diagonal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

Wish I knew how to fix this.

A regex that removes any occurrence of one or more linebreaks not preceded by punctuation would do it. You might have to replace with a space instead if there is not a space already before or after the linebreaks.

You might still have a few left in if the stray whitespace happened to fall at the end of a sentence that wasn't the end of a paragraph though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Here's a couple shots of your PDF on a Kindle 3

Alt-Shift-G drops a screenshot into the documents folder of the Kindle so you can show it in actual resolution if you wanted.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

sirbeefalot posted:

Here's a couple shots of your PDF on a Kindle 3, in portrait and landscape views. There's no "reflow" in a PDF, that's the whole point of PDFs. They're supposed to display in the intended layout no matter where they're viewed.

Portrait view is legible, but would be a bit of a strain for more than the occasional skimming. Landscape is better.

These are kinda huge, to show what the resolution (800x600 if I'm not mistaken) does to the pictures and diagrams. Remember the screen is only 6" diagonal.

well, poop. It's not terrible, but I see what you mean.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The real answer to pdfs on kindles is one of those magnifying glasses they sell old people to read with.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

CrazyLittle posted:

You may want to reconsider for just how much of the book it's vital for tables and images to be perfectly aligned like the PDF. I'd wager most of the time, the reflowed as a mobipocket format stuff will work ok.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The biggest thing a good PDF reader needs is a big screen, one that comes close to matching the size of the page the PDF uses. The Kindle DX is good, the iPad is good. Everything else is a major compromise. Reflowing PDFs is challenging, especially when the author uses lots of graphic elements, columns, text boxes, etc. The other alternative is scrolling and zooming, unsatisfying as well, especially on a slow e-ink screen.

So if you want to read, use a better format like ePub or mobi (or html, or rtf), and not a page description language like PDF. If you have to read PDFs, use a device that does that well, and they won't be small.

Much of the CCNA study materials are available in "real" ebook formats, including Sybex and Cisco Press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrazyLittle posted:

LOL that book look very familiar.

I used to use a dos tool call pdftohtml.exe to convert all kind of nasty CCNA textbook and exam pdf files into html and then read it on my Treo's native browser.

I ended up passing CCNA with the video tutorial disks without reading the book.