Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...
Well, I just got the thermostat out of the car and tested it by boiling.

My thermometer read 92 Celsius before it opened, so I'm pretty sure it's opening at the right time and not before (89 degree thermostat).

I'm kind of stumped now. I'm going to put it back in the car and ponder what could be happening a little more.

UPDATE:
I put the thermostat back into the car, and it still doesn't get up to warm according to the gauge.
The heat however is pretty darn hot, so one would think the car is warming up and it's a temp gauge problem... but then when I let it sit why does the temp gauge go to normal then back to cold when I drive again?

I'm going to test the temp gauge and sensor by checking it with an ohmmeter and if I need to using a potentiometer to test the gauge itself.

Captain Crunk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GoBotSodomizer
Nov 5, 2009
My '01 9-3 does the exact same thing;
If the ambient temperature is under say, 50 degrees F, my temp gauge will read correctly for about 10 minutes of driving time
before slowly drooping towards the bottom of the dial and finally quitting altogether. Replacing the sending unit fixed the problem...for about 3 months, then it started up again.

I'll be goddamned if I can figure out what to check next.
When the temp gauge fails I noticed that the lights sort of flicker, and the temp needle will jump back up to where it should be right before it bombs out.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JayKay posted:

Any reason you suggest the 9-5 over the 9-3? Also, what would be the sweetspot for $7000?

[...]

In case nobody saw my post in the Subaru thread, I ended up buying that Hail Damaged Saabaru for $4700. Just need to pick up some replacement bulbs, get a few key fobs, and a new shifter knob and I'm set.

Not a huge fan of the Opel engines. Even less so than GM's 3.0. The B205/B235 are not bad, you just need to pamper them a little.

Congratulations, and good luck with it.

Faerunner posted:

We paid about $7k for our 2000 9-3 SE convertible. It was a great way to spend $7k.

Aggregate or initially? :q:

Captain Crunk posted:

I'm going to test the temp gauge and sensor by checking it with an ohmmeter and if I need to using a potentiometer to test the gauge itself.

This may sound really stupid, but is your battery fully charged? SAAB instrument clusters like to act really odd if you're running low or the alt is putting out too much juice. I had mine reading perm-low and after replacing the thermostat (I did the boil test, and it was a little sluggish so I just opted to replace), I noticed that it was being a bit of a bear to crank. Did a test, and was down further than I thought. Stuck it on a 6A charge overnight and the next day, everything was magically normal, and has been since.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 18, 2010

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

JayKay posted:

In case nobody saw my post in the Subaru thread, I ended up buying that Hail Damaged Saabaru for $4700. Just need to pick up some replacement bulbs, get a few key fobs, and a new shifter knob and I'm set.

Lucky!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Four Banger posted:

What are people running for after market wheels on the 9-5? I curbed mine bad right after a snow storm, cracked a rim, and threw the winter rubbers on some steelies and am using this as an excuse to upgrade for my summers.

I'm thinking of going with 17", 18's just look too big. Opinions?

No reason to start looking for take off BBS RKII's from a 9-5 Aero. The bolt pattern and off spacing is just so weird the options for Saabs are either crazy expensive or ugly and cheap. You could try the double y spokes off a newer 9-3 as well, I believe the bolt pattern is the same.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mcqueen posted:

No reason to start looking for take off BBS RKII's from a 9-5 Aero. The bolt pattern and off spacing is just so weird the options for Saabs are either crazy expensive or ugly and cheap. You could try the double y spokes off a newer 9-3 as well, I believe the bolt pattern is the same.

I have to agree with this. I have seen some amazingly ugly 110x5s, and not much else. Your best bet for finding something decent is actually trolling forums and Craigslist.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I found some ones I liked on Ebay, I don't think they're ugly :colbert:

edit: ASA JH8s are the model.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Petekill posted:

I found some ones I liked on Ebay, I don't think they're ugly :colbert:
When Viggen said "troll forums", he didn't mean us.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Posted this in the stupid questions thread, but might as well post here because Saabs are pretty quirky.

quote:

I have a 1999 Saab 9-3. Whenever I drive at speeds exceeding around 50 mph, I begin to hear a really loud flow of air. The sound seems to be coming from the left side of the car, at the top of the driver's window. It basically sounds like the window is cracked open.

All of the weather stripping is fine, and I can't seem to find anything else that could be causing this issue. Anyone got any suggestions?

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...
Fixed my car!
It was the temp sensor, I took it out and as soon as I did I could see the wires going into the sensor looked odd and the ceramic back of the sensor was cracked and broken.

Finding a new one was hard, had to drive a good 20 miles to an O'Reily that had one. Got it home and hooked up and everything is good again!

I really forgot how quick this car is, but only if it can find traction (that's a big if).
So happy it's fixed again...for now. :tinfoil:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Karl Barks posted:

Posted this in the stupid questions thread, but might as well post here because Saabs are pretty quirky.

What happens if you pull the shade to the moonroof?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Karl Barks posted:

Get another person, have them get inside the vehicle, roll the drivers side window down, then back up while you're on the outside making sure the weather stripping on the top is making a proper seal and not catching and rolling upward with the window. Saab window weather stripping is inherently quirky and starts rolling after while.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Karl Barks posted:

As an addition, these are set manually inside the door for 'where it stops'. Yours is probably just worn out, and needs to be readjusted. This pictoral link is for a 9-5, but it wouldn't hurt to check your rollers.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Can anyone confirm or deny that there is no front license plate bracket kit made specifically for the 92x. However I can use a 9-3 bracket, or any generic 2 hole bracket and be fine?

From what I've read, the front plate is supposed to be screwed directly into the front bumper.

http://www.stateofnine.com/page/stateofnine/PROD/LPBRACKET

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

Can anyone confirm or deny that there is no front license plate bracket kit made specifically for the 92x. However I can use a 9-3 bracket, or any generic 2 hole bracket and be fine?

From what I've read, the front plate is supposed to be screwed directly into the front bumper.

http://www.stateofnine.com/page/stateofnine/PROD/LPBRACKET
There are some generic front license plate relocation kits that ride off your tow hook. That might be an option that won't involve screwing or bumper mutilation.

edit: link

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 31, 2010

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There are some generic front license plate relocation kits that ride off your tow hook. That might be an option that won't involve screwing or bumper mutilation.

This is about the only solution I've ever seen for a 9-2x that doesn't involve doing dastardly things to the car.

Also, to add actual semi-content. Daily driver rolled over 175k today. Booyeah!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Viggen posted:

This is about the only solution I've ever seen for a 9-2x that doesn't involve doing dastardly things to the car.

Also, to add actual semi-content. Daily driver rolled over 175k today. Booyeah!

I bought a generic mounting kit for it that I might just screw into the bumper. I'm still considering trying 3M VHB tape for mounting it, but A) I can't find it locally and B) It needs to be 65F+ for application which it's not here and I don't have access to a garage.

I'm not a huge fan of the offset kits as the look isn't what I'm going for and the fact they're like $60 bucks (Rho-Kit)

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Saw a new 9-5 today in Harvard Square for the first time, drat its good looking.

talk show ghost
Mar 2, 2006

by Ozma
So I'm in the market for a new daily driver, and got caught on this Saab. It looks fantastic and the price is right but I have to ask, will it eat me out of house and home? What are some things to look for if I go out and inspect this car personally?

It's a 1999 9-3 4 door with the five speed and 97k miles, one owner. In the pictures it seems absolutely immaculate, but who knows what lurks beneath those plastic engine covers.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2161994717.html

talk show ghost fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 17, 2011

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

I am looking at an '06 9-3 Aero SS. It just rounded 55k and had the 50k service done. Is there any known issues I should be looking for?

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Prylex3 posted:

I am looking at an '06 9-3 Aero SS. It just rounded 55k and had the 50k service done. Is there any known issues I should be looking for?

You should see if the coolant expansion tank has been replaced with the newer design (they cracked repeatedly, there was a service campaign). There's also a 120k GM warranty on corrosion-prone front springs for all 03-06s.

Not really a design problem, but check that the front spoiler/bumper hasn't been damaged, there's not much clearance and they're incredibly prone to getting cracked and pulled off when people back out of driveways.

Be prepared to lay out 500-1k on the 60k service too (although if you have the space/tools you can easily do it all yourself), I'm not sure a "50k service" means anything more than an oil change.

astropika fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2011

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

talk show ghost posted:

So I'm in the market for a new daily driver, and got caught on this Saab. It looks fantastic and the price is right but I have to ask, will it eat me out of house and home? What are some things to look for if I go out and inspect this car personally?

It's a 1999 9-3 4 door with the five speed and 97k miles, one owner. In the pictures it seems absolutely immaculate, but who knows what lurks beneath those plastic engine covers.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2161994717.html

In the same vein as this post I am also interested in what are some of the better year/models of saab and things to look for? Obviously they aren't going to be as bulletproof as a honda but I imagine they are alot more fun to drive.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

ifuckedjesus posted:

In the same vein as this post I am also interested in what are some of the better year/models of saab and things to look for? Obviously they aren't going to be as bulletproof as a honda but I imagine they are alot more fun to drive.

2000-2002 9-3s and 1998-2004 9-5s with the B205/B235s are sludge monsters, I would be very wary of buying one unless it has enjoyed 5k synthetic oil changes its entire life (the official interval was 10k!) and had the PCV #6 update in a timely fashion. A 1999 9-3 or earlier (a 900ng or a 9000 etc) with a B204/b234 may be a better bet.

The 2003 9-3 has a fair few issues including the failure of an o-ring which allows coolant to leak into the transmission, they also have secondary air injection which is prone to failure and no later years have.

Edit: as to the years to actually buy, well, any 9-3 before 2000 or after 2003 and any 9-5 after 2004. Or a 900/9000 but I don't really know about those. Oh yeah, don't buy any V6 before 2006, the 54 degree engines were pieces of poo poo.

astropika fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 17, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ifuckedjesus posted:

Go back and reread this whole thread. People have posted the good, bad, and ugly of various different models here.

astropika posted:

Edit: as to the years to actually buy, well, any 9-3 before 2000 or after 2003 and any 9-5 after 2004. Or a 900/9000 but I don't really know about those. Oh yeah, don't buy any V6 before 2006, the 54 degree engines were pieces of poo poo.

Yes, keep far, far away from the earlier 9-5s. I need parts for the daily, after all.

I'd take a 3.0T for free if it wasn't leaking already - but that could get me off my lazy rear end and actually tear into one.

All I can do is echo these statements, however, I have a sludger, and I just rolled over 175k - but I've also put nearly as much into it as I bought it for. I'd probably suggest you keep away from C900s (1993-) as parts are getting difficult to source for specific things.

That '99 is a red DIC, check the number to see if it's been replaced/repaired - but before you buy anything, be sure to do a VIN check and have it checked out by a local indy. I'd probably go to Planet SAAAB (http://www.planetsaaab.com/) for a pre-flight checkup, although I have not dealt with them personally, I have heard good things about them.

They can tell you if you've got your PCV update, and all of the other goodies, and as a Master Mechanic can throw that sucker up on a Tech2 and read everything since the last power reset, check all warranty work, etc. You may offer to 'go in' on the inspection and offer to have the oil changed as an excuse to 'scope' it (check the intake for sludge).

A rule of thumb that I employ (but not always) is to check for PCV#6 and dead SID pixels. If someone's bothered to keep up to date (at least up to 2007) and repair/replace a dying SID, they've likely taken care of the car - in my experience.

You have at least one broken wiper. Doing the work yourself to replace that is going to be at least a hundred bucks if you get used.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 17, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I must be retarded - I went to look at an 89 C900 Vert (3 speed :(), and I fell in love- other than the transmission.

It's on the third owner; first owner knew third, but sold to second. 120k, fresh top, only problems are under 5 hours of work for a novice (floods are messed up, windshield needs buffing, seatbelt tensioner busted).

I could buy it, and flip it in California for a couple grand, but I'd probably just keep it, because I'm an addict.

Here's a side pic:

oops i suck. tables.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2011

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Nice, Viggen. Not to be confused with "nice viggen." poo poo, I think that's the first real (classic) SAAB in this thread in a long time. I drove a 3 speed auto convertible once and I hated it. Those 3 speeds are garbage IMO, though the one in my example was pretty thrashed. The other problem was that it had a pool in the back, amongst the convertible stowage. Looks like that one is in good shape. Go for it if you like it. By the way, does it have any rogue fluid leaks?

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I have a mystery coolant leak on my 900SE. The water pump was leaking when I bought the car, but I replaced that and it hasn't leaked from there since. The level on the tank slowly drops until the sensor tells me its low and I fill it back up. It doesn't seem like a leaky head gasket, because it doesn't seem to be burning any coolant. It will leave a puddle (more like a stain actually) of coolant under the motor sometimes, but last time I had it jacked up it was completely dry underneath. This isn't really a SAAB specific question, just looking for ideas I guess.

Good news is my ECU tune should be showing up any day now...

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

localized posted:

I have a mystery coolant leak on my 900SE. The water pump was leaking when I bought the car, but I replaced that and it hasn't leaked from there since. The level on the tank slowly drops until the sensor tells me its low and I fill it back up. It doesn't seem like a leaky head gasket, because it doesn't seem to be burning any coolant. It will leave a puddle (more like a stain actually) of coolant under the motor sometimes, but last time I had it jacked up it was completely dry underneath. This isn't really a SAAB specific question, just looking for ideas I guess.

Good news is my ECU tune should be showing up any day now...
Based on my own experience and time on 900 forums, I have a couple suggestions on where to check: the freeze plugs (or block heater connection if equipped), manifolds and possibly the thermostat or thermostat purge valve. The only other thing I can think of, though it's obvious, is a heater core or heater core valve leak.

Let it be known that the only real way to check the freeze plugs on the B202 is to reach blindly under the exhaust manifold and check your fingers. It's drat tight under there, at least it was for my meaty paws. If anything else comes to mind on possible places to check, I'll let you know.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

astropika posted:

Oh yeah, don't buy any V6 before 2006, the 54 degree engines were pieces of poo poo.

What makes the 54 degree engines pieces of poo poo? I've never had an issue with mine, that said, I also have a meticulous stack of records from the previous owner and I keep up on all maintenance intervals and records myself. I'm probably not a good case of a bad vehicle owner that hops in their car to run it into the ground though.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

keykey posted:

What makes the 54 degree engines pieces of poo poo? I've never had an issue with mine, that said, I also have a meticulous stack of records from the previous owner and I keep up on all maintenance intervals and records myself. I'm probably not a good case of a bad vehicle owner that hops in their car to run it into the ground though.

Well, for a start its an interference design with a timing belt, the tensioner of which failed as a design fault.

Its not a strong engine, saab only felt they could use 3.6PSI of boost in a hokey arrangement where exhaust from only one bank is used.

It was leaky and could lose coolant out of a myriad of places, inside and outside the engine (the oil cooler leaking oil into the coolant is a common problem).

And after all this it only made 200hp which is pathetic compared to the far better (apart from the sludging) and more fuel efficient b205/b235.

astropika fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 4, 2011

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Well it seems this weekend will be devoted to working on the car. I ordered a new front O2 sensor, getting some new NGK plugs, replacing the boost pressure control valve to try and get my new tune to work properly, as well as searching for a coolant leak and bolting the stock muffler back on for a state inspection. I am going to need a new diverter valve at some point too, as the stock bosch one isn't holding full boost with the new tune...

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
2000 9-3 SE, 101k miles.

Current problem:

Throwing codes P300, P304, P1171, P116. Intermittent light on on the dash. Occasional shuddering/drop in RPM while idling/stopped. Also it drinks a little coolant every couple months, but the oil/coolant are both clean.

Any ideas? Could all the other problems be based on the coolant temperature sensor code being thrown?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

Looks like that one is in good shape. Go for it if you like it. By the way, does it have any rogue fluid leaks?

It was in impeccable shape. Owner decided he didn't want to sell because I wanted to sleep on it overnight. Offered full price, and he decided no deal. Top was impeccable, everything was perfect.

Kind of pissed about losing it. Guess how much he was asking? $3200.

Faerunner posted:

2000 9-3 SE, 101k miles.

Current problem:

Throwing codes P300, P304, P1171, P116. Intermittent light on on the dash. Occasional shuddering/drop in RPM while idling/stopped. Also it drinks a little coolant every couple months, but the oil/coolant are both clean.

Any ideas? Could all the other problems be based on the coolant temperature sensor code being thrown?

It could be the DIC, it could be bad plugs, could almost be anything without a good Tech2 read, I don't have a clue where to start. Try following this thread.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I hope it's not the DIC, we just replaced that a few months ago... :( Oh well, off to badger the fiance to get to work on it since the temperature has improved outside a bit.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Viggen posted:

It was in impeccable shape. Owner decided he didn't want to sell because I wanted to sleep on it overnight. Offered full price, and he decided no deal. Top was impeccable, everything was perfect.

Kind of pissed about losing it. Guess how much he was asking? $3200.
That sucks, man. In my experience, classic SAAB owners are kind of wishy-washy like that. Personally, I like the non-vert 900s better - I say keep looking.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pre-edit, sorry these photos blow, must have had oil on the camera phone lens, was working on my buddies 850 Turbo that felt that it did not like containing oil.

Two weeks ago I picked up another Viggen from the same guy I bought a Thule rack from not 4 weeks prior. Apparently he had some money troubles and was selling his '99 Lightning Blue two door for cheap. It was the model I wanted when I first fell in love with the car and most of the modifications I would buy are already on it. Sweet.

130k on her. The pictures do not do the car justice. Due time for a timing belt and normal 120k maintenance. I may put in a newer clutch. Good news is it has the Genuine Saab intake, motor mounts, tranny mounts, lots of poly bushings, the Koni kit, front and rear sway, front subframe brace, 3" exhaust, and some other goodies. Feels good and tight, the suspension is great.

First things first, I want to transfer my 3" DP to this car. The larger DP made a huge improvement in the responsiveness in my car and I don't feel like selling my car and leaving a $500 part on it that retains none of its value.

That was easy, bottom of the car looks nice, no drips or coolant and still has the underskirts! Wow, I've never seen a Viggen who's owner has managed to keep those intact. New front bumper too. Nice.

What. The. gently caress. The shop who did this welded the lower cat to the loving exhaust under the clamp fitting. WHY GOD?! Oh well, off to the shop later to get this fixed.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009
drat, that is a beautiful Viggen. Congratulations! I'm immensely jealous.

I'm such a huge fan of factory Viggen wheels that I tend to think that Viggens don't take well to aftermarket wheels, but the wheels on your new car look incredible. What are they?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mcqueen posted:

Two weeks ago I picked up another Viggen from the same guy I bought a Thule rack from not 4 weeks prior. Apparently he had some money troubles and was selling his '99 Lightning Blue two door for cheap. It was the model I wanted when I first fell in love with the car and most of the modifications I would buy are already on it. Sweet.

I've just put roof bars on my ng900 and get loads of wind noise from them. It starts to howl from about 30mph up. Is there something I can do to prevent this? or is this normal for roof bars on cars?

I've got a landrover with a roof rack which ive never noticed howling but then there is a tiny bit of engine/road noise in that! ;)

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tomarse posted:

I've just put roof bars on my ng900 and get loads of wind noise from them. It starts to howl from about 30mph up. Is there something I can do to prevent this? or is this normal for roof bars on cars?

I've got a landrover with a roof rack which ive never noticed howling but then there is a tiny bit of engine/road noise in that! ;)

My old C900 howled like crazy with the old Thule style fairing. Do you have the current one that looks more like a surfboard than a ski? Like...thicker? I still get wind noise but I find it to be much quieter than the old style, even if it doesn't look as nice.

Sambo - Thanks, to be honest I don't remember the type of wheel these are, he said they are "nails" and powder coated grey. I don't think these came stock on any saab and I don't see them on Tirerack so I'm lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

That sucks, man. In my experience, classic SAAB owners are kind of wishy-washy like that. Personally, I like the non-vert 900s better - I say keep looking.

First not-a-goddamn-Zombie I've seen here in 3 years. What's a zombie? A car that survives only to eat the parts of the living. Yeah, I was pissed, but, what can you do?

Have a C900 1992 owner who is motivated to sell her needs-paint-badly hatch, but do I really need another one?

Mcqueen posted:

Pre-edit, sorry these photos blow

Even if so, I'd hate you anyhow. What a gorgeous car. Give you $20 for it? :q: