Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Is it dangerous to piss the bed while using an electric blanket?

Yes, there is a very good possibility your friends or family could find out you have a pee on a electric blanket in bed fetish and ridicule you into suicide.

Really, though if it would be a shock hazard it would be much more of a fire hazard unless you are laying with the control box under your crotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
What does a defense attorney do if they think their client might be lying? is it just like "ok he may be lying but it is my job to look at the facts of the case and present this in a way that will get this person less jailtime"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For the most part, yes. It's the defending attorney's job to make a good-faith effort to get his client acquitted or at least minimize his penalty, his personal belief about whether or not he's guilty does not matter. The idea of attorney-client privilege was created so that defendants would not be afraid to tell their lawyers anything and everything relevant to their side of the story.

However, it's not unheard of for lawyers to quit cases because the client is hindering their ability to do that (lying to them or withholding information, abusing them, acting out in court, etc).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 17, 2010

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Wait. So if a lawyer knows his client killed someone, they have no legal obligation to tell the authorities?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Wait. So if a lawyer knows his client killed someone, they have no legal obligation to tell the authorities?

Innocent till proven guilty. Just because dude says he killed someone doesn't mean he shouldn't get a trial. Not to mention he wouldn't be on trial for killing someone unless people already thought he did it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

No. In fact, they are legally obligated to try to get them acquitted. If it comes to light that the defense attorney was not trying their hardest, it's a mistrial. (Otherwise, whenever the state provided you with a lawyer, it would be in their best interest to give you a lawyer who thought you were guilty, and would do a lovely job representing you.)

Cupid Painted Blind
Feb 15, 2010
I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but....

I'm looking for tasks/skills that you could do like 20 times a day, when you have a spare minute or two.

The kinds of things I'm thinking of are like:

- vocabulary flash cards. Waiting for the microwave? Pull em out and run through 10 or so. Nobody in the elevator? Run through a quick few.

- pushups / pullups / etc - I have seen several programs that basically tell you to get a pullup bar and knock some out every time you go past it. Or do a set of pushups often throughout the day as a training exercise.

I'm explicitly not looking for things like bejeweled blitz (1 minute...go...) or general smart phone type time wasters.

So, what are other sorts of 'training in 2 minute burts' are there?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Those hand grip/clamp things that were mentioned a while ago. I just use it for a minute when im waiting at my computer.

Same with the gyroball things.

I also like to stretch.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

No. In fact, they are legally obligated to try to get them acquitted. If it comes to light that the defense attorney was not trying their hardest, it's a mistrial. (Otherwise, whenever the state provided you with a lawyer, it would be in their best interest to give you a lawyer who thought you were guilty, and would do a lovely job representing you.)
The funny thing is they do, they are called public defenders, and they typically send people completely up river for a good looking record of guilty verdicts on their way to becoming prosecutors/DAs.

The court systems are a clusterfuck of conflicts of interest if looked at with any scrutiny.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

revolther posted:

The funny thing is they do, they are called public defenders, and they typically send people completely up river for a good looking record of guilty verdicts on their way to becoming prosecutors/DAs.

You're saying that prosecutors hire public defenders that lose a lot of cases? How do they know they just don't suck as a lawyer?

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Attorney-client privilege. No they don't. But, they also can't let their defendant purger themselves (lie) in court. So, if the prosecution asks the murderer if he did it and he says no... Well, then I don't know what exactly happens, but I'm pretty sure the lawyer can't continue the trial.

In fact, a murderer once confessed to his lawyers that he had killed someone and someone else had been put in jail for it. The lawyers couldn't say a thing and Alton Logan, an innocent man, stayed in jail for 26 years until the murderer finally died and the lawyers could go public with the information.

As to what a lawyer does if he thinks his client is guilty? I asked a lawyer about this once. What he said is he thinks of it as being the person who is putting the prosecution on trial instead of defending a guilty person. He used the OJ Simpson case as an example. The guy is almost certainly guilty. The thing is, the cops screwed up, did things wrong, broke the law, etc... The defense lawyers job (in his opinion) is to make sure they don't get a conviction, or at least a reduced one, otherwise the cops will be happy to do the same thing again in the next case. Sure, a guilty guy might go free but you're protecting everyone else from overzealous police / government.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 17, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Cupid Painted Blind posted:

I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but....

I'm looking for tasks/skills that you could do like 20 times a day, when you have a spare minute or two.

Kegels.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
There were some huge grey areas in the Paul Bernardo case about 15 (?) years ago. It got exposure in the US because Canadian media couldn't run it and the crimes were something awful :downsrim:

Bernardo hid some tapes in his house pretty much convicting him and his accomplice and the lawyer knew about it and had them because Bernardo told him about them (the police couldn't find them after multiple searches initially). Bernardo told his lawyer not to look at them. His accomplice got a lesser sentence because the prosecutros didn't know about these tapes until after. I believe his lawyer ended up violating some professional rules. Look this case up if you want more correct details.

I think it's too much of a slippery slope to not adhere to the strict rules set down for attorneys. If every side who has an interest in a case does their jobs properly then that's the best we can hope for. I look at defence lawyers as people who are there to challenge prosecutors rather than defend their clients. Good defence lawyers should get prosecutors to step up their game and cracks in the investigative process will be exposed and hopefully fixed. There are defence lawyers who will exploit the law to their advantage, but what else can they do? That's their job and it's human nature anyway to do what's best for yourself first and foremost. If the law needs to be fixed then it will be fixed.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 17, 2010

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I need some time to play mah videogames, therefore I need to get rid of my girl. Tell me what TV series I should get her hooked on. She already watches quite a few, including Desperate Housewives, Cougar Town, Fringe, Gossip Girl and a host of ER like shows.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Is there a thread somewhere in A/T about cross country moving? I just found out I'll be moving from VA to CA in a few months and since I've never lived more than 3 hours from where I grew up I'm pretty much at a loss as to how all this works. Is car shipping viable? What about shipping all my furniture and stuff? I think my company is going to pay for it all so money shouldn't be a problem.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Affi posted:

I need some time to play mah videogames, therefore I need to get rid of my girl. Tell me what TV series I should get her hooked on. She already watches quite a few, including Desperate Housewives, Cougar Town, Fringe, Gossip Girl and a host of ER like shows.

Community.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For stabbing victims in general, no particular region or time period, are there any data on mortality rate versus number of stab wounds?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

baquerd posted:

For stabbing victims in general, no particular region or time period, are there any data on mortality rate versus number of stab wounds?

I can't really find anything on google scholar, the overwhelming interest in the literature concerns the mortality of the area of the wound, not necessarily the number of wounds. I don't have access to these papers but the abstracts suggest that they may have something related to what you're after.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
edit: never mind

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 17, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Where can I find some pictures online of a Jian (mythical bird)? I'm sure my monolingualism is limiting my search abilities; all I can find variations of this one sentence on multiple sites:
A mythical bird supposed to have only one eye and one wing: 鶼鶼 a pair of such birds dependent on each other, inseparable, hence, represent husband and wife.

The only other things are pictures of adorable old Chinese couples, and this picture:

I'm hoping to find a picture of an old painting or illustration.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 17, 2010

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

The Aphasian posted:

Where can I find some pictures online of a Jian (mythical bird)?

A GIS for "鶼鶼 illustration" led me to this page, which calls them Hiyoku-no-tori or 比翼の鳥. There's one very nice illustration on that page and a few less so. A GIS for 比翼の鳥 gives me a few more nice images including a nice one here.

Hope that helps!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a name for the sort of label that you can't apply to yourself? Something that's normally positive and to apply it to oneself would be immodest. Some examples I can think of are 'philanthropist' and 'heartthrob'.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Affi posted:

Intervention. :rimshot:

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Anjow posted:

Is there a name for the sort of label that you can't apply to yourself? Something that's normally positive and to apply it to oneself would be immodest. Some examples I can think of are 'philanthropist' and 'heartthrob'.
Self-aggrandizing?

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma
Goons! Whats going on with Georgeous George? The SA-GG videos are gone from youtube, and the GBS thread is closed. Did he "win" or something?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Aardlof posted:

Self-aggrandizing?

That's not quite what I was thinking of, but it will certainly do for now. Thanks.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Anjow posted:

That's not quite what I was thinking of, but it will certainly do for now. Thanks.

Self-fellating? :v:

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
What the gently caress is "Minnesota nice?"

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

WHEEZY DECK A HALL posted:

Basically acting like Flanders. Wikipedia has an article on it, apparently.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

WHEEZY DECK A HALL posted:

Minnesota nice is passive aggression evolved into a mastered state. It includes the ability to shrug anything off, yes, but at its best it allows the wielder to be ridiculously callous and insulting without the target being able to pick up on the insult.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Slim Killington posted:

Minnesota nice is passive aggression evolved into a mastered state. It includes the ability to shrug anything off, yes, but at its best it allows the wielder to be ridiculously callous and insulting without the target being able to pick up on the insult.

Awesome, thanks. That makes more sense in the context I'm hearing it used than "acting like Flanders."

EDIT: here's the context, fyi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K641nudCFZM

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 17, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I dispose of/recycle/whatever an aluminum Lian-Li computer case?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

the posted:

Put it in the garbage/recycling bin/take it to a recycling facility.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
"Minnesota nice" made me think of the movie Fargo. Though, Fargo is in North Dakota and not Minnesota.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

betterinsodapop posted:

"Minnesota nice" made me think of the movie Fargo. Though, Fargo is in North Dakota and not Minnesota.

Except half of the movie takes place in Minnesota.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

betterinsodapop posted:

Weirdly, there's a documentary about Fargo titled "Minnesota Nice."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the posted:

In many parts of the US Goodwill is equipped to appropriately handle electronics and the like for disposal if it's not fit for sale.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

the posted:

If it's in half decent shape you can probably sell it to someone for $10 or $20 on craigslist.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
What's the website that shows how many people are playing multiplayer for a game. Like, "Call of Duty 2 - 5,000"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I can't believe I'm posting an "is this a scam" post, but here I am. I'm selling a Keys 8500 treadmill on Craigslist for $1000, and I got an email from someone that just says "Keys 8500?" It's obviously a Keys 8500, because that's what I titled the ad. So I responded and sent them a link to a picture of one, and they sent this back

quote:

Thank you for getting back with me

sorry about that, My mail had been,

I'm very intrigued in this but before I buy it We need to find out if its an identical one I'm interested in because I can't afford a second slip-up If possible check out this video here I published and let me know

/play.php?pid=dsa1e5fas5yui4op&?name=#words#_special_products-forall

If its the same one I will be there right away to pay for it
Thanks
This has to be a scam, right? I'm sure as hell not clicking that link. I just don't understand what this person would be hoping to accomplish, since they're not offering to pay Paypal. Are they just trying to get me to click that link?