Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Do you think this non-violent protest will accomplish anything? Besides extra beatings and solitary confinement?

This is not really an argument you can use when I can assure you that violent protest will do much, much worse than the status quo.

Rutibex posted:

It may very well, there have been lots of success stories of non-violent disobedience. There has been a larger amount of successful violent revolutions. It's not a stupid fantasy, it's worked before. The USA is proof positive.

It is an extremely stupid fantasy in this situation. You have zero chance of success and close to a 100% chance of making things dramatically worse than the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Violent revolution by the prisoners will not only accomplish nothing, but be wildly counterproductive.

According to one of HFG's many, many prison effortposts, the prevalence of prison gangs today can be directly traced back to new policies pursued by the prison system in the wake of the bloody Attica prison riots back in the 70s.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

And nothing stops any effort to "unite prisoners further in the cause" like 24/7 solitary confinement.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.
The only way a "violent uprising" could possibly occur would be if gangs on the outside literally sieged a prison in the middle of a riot or uprising.

The bloody aftermath of gangs going up against SWAT teams and a whole police department would be the label of "Terrorist" bandied about and more horrible brutality, not people realizing "hey, we drove these people to this extreme, maybe we should reconsider treating them like animals!"

Now, elect some progressive congresspeople with backbones, we might get somewhere.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

And nothing stops any effort to "unite prisoners further in the cause" like 24/7 solitary confinement.

They literally don't have enough regular cell for prisoners, let alone solitary. They couldn't put them all in the hole.

I don't think this is an issue that can just be dismissed. Budget cuts and overcrowding are only getting worse. As the ratio of prisoners/security dollars gets higher the possibility only increases.

You are right though that (unless it was part of something bigger) a violent prison rebellion would end up making things worse for the prisoners in the short term.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Rutibex posted:

What makes mass escape impossible? I imagine that response time for a prison riot is likely pretty good, but we're talking about thousands of healthy young males. I can't see it being stopped if they where united and determined.

A mass-action or 'riot' situation is actually the absolute worst time to even think about an escape, let alone a mass escape. There's just too many physical barriers, and prisons have been built that way since the Civil War. That's why you didn't see mass escapes during the Attica riots, and that was as close to a full-scale military operation as you can get in this country unless you're trying to break up a coal-miner strike or something.

Especially in a lockdown situation like this one, there will be many redundant barriers between the inmates and the outside. Add to that the gun-towers which will actually be manned in a situation like this (and manned with go-getters instead of doddering grandpas a year from retirement), plus anyone caught in a common area or traversing from a lockdown zone to any other zone will be dealt with (shot), on and on... attempting escape during a lockdown is suicide.

Successful escapes happen when guards slack off during the routine, day-to-day grind; not when they are at triple strength on full alert and pumped full of 5hr drinks, adrenaline, and amphetamines. They happen by exploiting the natural human tendency toward complacency, or the natural tendency of institutions and corporations to cut corners to save a buck.

Right now every law enforcement officer and reserve deputy in the surrounding community is on high alert- wound up tighter than a Swiss watch- with countermeasures at the ready such as dog teams, helicopters with sophisticated sensors, infra-red scopes, and all the rest. Plus half the yahoos in a 25-mile radius heard about it on the radio and got their trusty shotguns loaded up waiting for some dude in an orange jumpsuit to wander by their trailer.

This is the worst possible time to try and break out of a Georgia prison, and an even worse time to succeed.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Rutibex posted:

They literally don't have enough regular cell for prisoners, let alone solitary.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

You have to be brain-damaged to think that a prison riot that causes bloodshed would lead to improvements.

Just in my hometown, the 1988 Fremantle prison riot in Australia burnt a huge chunk of the ancient and frankly brutal old prison to the floor, led to 18 serious injuries (Including by pouring shitloads of boiling water on some guards heads) involved kidnapped screws, and generally was a pretty violent and messed up riot.

3 years later the place was shut down, pretty much as a direct result, and replaced with newer prisons that are basically not too far removed from the european ones many prison reform advocates seem to drool over.

Theres plenty of examples of prison riots leading to improvements.

Not that its all rosy. Theres criminal investigations on at the moment over prison guards using tasers for enforcing discipline, rather than just self defense.

Mind you thats not isolated to prisons. Evidence has recently emerged that police here have been using tasers on people merely for disobeying orders, leading to some cops being fired and some criminal charges against the cops for using them for reasons other than self defense.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 13, 2010

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

duck monster posted:

Just in my hometown, the 1988 Fremantle prison riot in Australia burnt a huge chunk of the ancient and frankly brutal old prison to the floor, led to 18 serious injuries (Including by pouring shitloads of boiling water on some guards heads) involved kidnapped screws, and generally was a pretty violent and messed up riot.

3 years later the place was shut down, pretty much as a direct result, and replaced with newer prisons that are basically not too far removed from the european ones many prison reform advocates seem to drool over.

Not that its all rosy. Theres criminal investigations on at the moment over prison guards using tasers for enforcing discipline, rather than just self defense.

Mind you thats not isolated to prisons. Evidence has recently emerged that police here have been using tasers on people merely for disobeying orders, leading to some cops being fired and some criminal charges against the cops for using them for reasons other than self defense.

I'm all for violent revolt, don't get me wrong, but Australia has a vastly different, and in many ways better, culture than America. In America, people don't generally question the media's reason why violence occurred, let alone want to understand why violence occurred, let alone want to prevent violence from occurring. This also doesn't touch on the many powerful interests that can and will do everything in their power to silence popular opinion on positive reform, if such a will for reform was to ever start to gain power in America.

We use prisons as a loop hole to continue slavery once slavery was outlawed. I don't think Australia used prisons for that reason, but I could be wrong.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 13, 2010

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

We use prisons as a loop hole to continue slavery once slavery was outlawed. I don't think you guys used prisons for that reason, but I could be wrong.

If it wasn't for the recent surge of privatized prisons I would have to say no (Not saying prison system in America is great, in fact I think it's terrible, draconic and completely takes advantage of our poor) but since we've been pushing really hard for private companies to take over our prisons I have to say yes. How else can you justify paying prisoners literally anywhere from 10 cents to 50 cents an hour for labor, forced to work 7 days a week for 12 hour shifts? Also I've read a few articles hinting that prison labor is starting to become commercially available to other private corporations, it's loving disgusting.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8289

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 13, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

flux_core posted:

The entire premise of prison seems loving stupid. The only reason we don't address it and try something completely different, only locking up the truly dangerous, is because we've had it for so long.

I wonder how long it will take until we find another means to deal with crime. The way things work now is stupid. I cannot think of something more useless than locking people up in cages, particularly for so loving long.
California voters, who are normally complete assholes when it comes toc rime, did the right thing and passed prop 36. Prop 36 is supposed to be a court supervised drug treatment program with a wide variety of good, affordable (or free) programs. If you succeed, you will never do any jail time and not suffer a conviction.
Because it was never funded, it is a clusterfuck. It is basically a prison sentence on the installment plan because there is no real effective treatment provided.
We need to understand that spending money on "criminals" in terms of treatment and education is expensive. Very expensive. But it is cheaper and better for society than than putting non-violent offenders (a category I might define more broadly than the average person) in prison. However, for some reason voters can't get this through their head. They want punishment and think education is "rewarding" the criminal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

However, for some reason voters can't get this through their head. They want punishment and think education is "rewarding" the criminal.

They're right to a degree, from my perspective. I would love nothing more than to be able to return to university, though it is financially impossible. If I could get the same education for free in prison I would very much consider committing some crimes to do so.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rutibex posted:

They're right to a degree, from my perspective. I would love nothing more than to be able to return to university, though it is financially impossible. If I could get the same education for free in prison I would very much consider committing some crimes to do so.

Thank you for demonstrating the problem with virtually every voter: they think, "Someone has something I don't! gently caress THAT PERSON AND TAKE THAT poo poo AWAY!" instead of, "Hey, how come that person has something I don't when both of us should have that something? Why don't we both have that something? It's not like the guy in the box is keeping me away from free education complete with complimentary chance of raping. Hm. Who, who is keeping free education away from everyone? Who?"

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it was the prisoners lack of access to education (or decent education because let's not lie the majority of public schools are a joke in USA) that may have something to do with the fact that he or she is in prison in the first place?

Imagine if you will being the child of two gang members. All you've ever know and been exposed to is gang life. You were never forced to go to school because your parents didn't value education but rather everything you were taught comes from your gang member parents and the gang. Is it really a surprise that this individual ended up in jail? And don't you think instead of telling this person how horrible they are, sticking them in a cage and then making sure to brand them with an arrest conviction that will follow them around the rest of their lives we should be educating them and trying to help them unlearn the horrible lessons they were taught while they were children.

To me that seems like the only reasonable thing to do if we expect these people to become functioning members of what we deem our "Society".

What is that single mother who's been in prison for 3 years on a non-violent drug charge suppose to do once she is free, has no money, no friends or family, is a recovering drug addict and now has a criminal record? Don't you think for those 3 years in prison she should be getting an education, have access to a job that pays at least minimum wage so that when she gets out of jail she would have enough money for at least a low income apartment and 3 years work experience to put on her resume that would greatly help her find a job?

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 14, 2010

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

S.T.C.A. posted:

Thank you for demonstrating the problem with virtually every voter: they think, "Someone has something I don't! gently caress THAT PERSON AND TAKE THAT poo poo AWAY!" instead of, "Hey, how come that person has something I don't when both of us should have that something? Why don't we both have that something? It's not like the guy in the box is keeping me away from free education complete with complimentary chance of raping. Hm. Who, who is keeping free education away from everyone? Who?"

I don't think it should be taken away, quite the opposite. For the few people I think are actually worth locking up for everyone's safety I think it should be mandatory.

I'm just saying maybe publicly financed university for all (not bullshit loans, a right for everyone to free education) might prevent some of these cases from getting to the point of prison in the first place.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I don't think it should be taken away, quite the opposite. For the few people I think are actually worth locking up for everyone's safety I think it should be mandatory.

I'm just saying maybe publicly financed university for all (not bullshit loans, a right for everyone to free education) might prevent some of these cases from getting to the point of prison in the first place.

You were referencing the idea that people consider education a "reward" for criminals and you said they were right to a degree. That's what I'm referring to as a problem in the framing of how education for prisoners is viewed. Otherwise it appears we're in agreement.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

free education
Change the degree on your resume to reflect "University of Phoenix / CDCR Correspondence Program; San Quentin State Prison" and see how many callbacks you get.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HidingFromGoro posted:

Change the degree on your resume to reflect "University of Phoenix / CDCR Correspondence Program; San Quentin State Prison" and see how many callbacks you get.

I study physics and cosmology, I'm more interested in the education then getting a job :v: I doubt it's something they offer in the state prison curriculum anyway.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Rutibex posted:

I study physics and cosmology, I'm more interested in the education then getting a job :v: I doubt it's something they offer in the state prison curriculum anyway.

He does make a good point, though. Even if you do educated prisoners, they probably won't have a better chance at getting a job unless, you know, people's attitudes change first.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

21stCentury posted:

He does make a good point, though. Even if you do educated prisoners, they probably won't have a better chance at getting a job unless, you know, people's attitudes change first.

But would an ex-con who is a high school drop out be on equal footing with one who has a degree? It still improves their chances, as well as the variety of places they can even attempt applying. They are still in for real difficult time being reintegrated, but it is less so.

I also believe that education improves the character of a person. Even if it doesn't help them financially it will be of great benefit to their lives and the lives of the people they are returning to.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Elaine Brown, formerly of the Black Panthers, was on Democracy Now today to talk about the on-going strike in Georgia, and a bit of the general prison shittiness as well.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/12/14/prisoner_advocate_elaine_brown_on_georgia

Apparently the cellphones were purchased from guards, like practically all smuggled contraband, in one case for as much as $800.

PTBrennan
Jun 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Using cell phones purchased from guards, the prisoners coordinated the nonviolent protests to stage the largest prison strike in U.S. history.

quote:

There are reports of widespread violence and brutality by the guards against the prisoners on strike.

This more than anything is what disgusts me the most.

We like to stigmatize prisoners as these seedy, below human individuals but the people who watch them break the laws right beside them. It's a double standard that everyone likes to downplay or pretend it isn't as wide spread as the prisoners make it out to be but is a serious part of the problem in my opinion because unfortunately we have no way of watching for this and I'm sure prison officials aren't exactly rushing to out their guards for being corrupt.

If you have a prison guard beating you for participating in a non-violent protest what is a prisoner suppose to do? Just sit back and let that officer beat him because he or she is an inmate? But if you fight back it's resisting arrest or assault on a police officer. It's disgusting.

PTBrennan fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 14, 2010

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

JMBosch posted:

$800.

Not as much as it sounds for a cellphone, especially considering whoever sold it to them knew what was going to happen. Then too, a packet of ramen is $1 and a can of soda is $2. (and those are the prices to get them legit from the facility). Contraband costs a lot more, 5 to 10 times the price for things like drugs or cellphones. $80 for a totally anonymous phone with minutes on it isn't too bad in the World.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

HidingFromGoro posted:

$80 for a totally anonymous phone with minutes on it isn't too bad in the World.

JMBosch posted:

$800
According to the comment by Elaine Brown that the figure comes from it was "a $50 phone" or so, which gives it about a 1600% mark-up value from the guards. Seems about right for valuable contraband.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rutibex posted:

I've known a number of homeless people, educated and not. I've met mentally ill homeless, misfits, freeloaders, druggies, and the purely unlucky. Not one single person has said they would prefer to commit crimes for the privilege of "three squares and a cot". This is a myth, and a particularly vile one at that.

Even people who have no other place to go than the sidewalk recognize the mental imbalance of someone who says such a thing. And the ONLY people I've heard say such things are relatively wealthy people who are unafraid of their position in society...people like YOU think it's a big joke.

Jail's no joke, even if it were reformed and provided more rehab than segregation from society. It still wouldn't provide motivation for committing crimes.

The motivation for crime are the rewards gotten from not being caught. People, by and large, just want something from the crime, not some potential benefit from being caught and put in jail. They want the money. They want the property. They want the enjoyment of taking their sorrow out on another person.

So stop saying this thing, that a "kinder" prison would provide increased incentive to commit crime. It's untrue, make you look stupid, and furthers the myth of the Welfare Queen.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos posted:

I've known a number of homeless people, educated and not. I've met mentally ill homeless, misfits, freeloaders, druggies, and the purely unlucky. Not one single person has said they would prefer to commit crimes for the privilege of "three squares and a cot". This is a myth, and a particularly vile one at that.

Even people who have no other place to go than the sidewalk recognize the mental imbalance of someone who says such a thing. And the ONLY people I've heard say such things are relatively wealthy people who are unafraid of their position in society...people like YOU think it's a big joke.

It was an off the cuff post, apon further reflection it's obviously incorrect. We pretty much agree on all of these issues.

As a side note I don't really appreciate making this some kind of personal attack. Your assumptions are just plane wrong, I'm not by any stretch a "relatively wealthy people who are unafraid of their position in society". I in fact live in an unheated car port and consider myself fortunate to have eaten any particular day. The only reason I am able to post this is because I refuse to pawn my netbook and the neighbors chose a poor form of wifi encryption. Don't assume things about people.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

anonumos posted:

It happens, it's not super common, but it does happen. There's even a name for it: "doing life on the installment plan."

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

HidingFromGoro posted:

It happens, it's not super common, but it does happen. There's even a name for it: "doing life on the installment plan."
I assume you have a source for this?

Regardless, that doesn't make the problem prison, it means the problem is a lack of alternatives.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

HidingFromGoro posted:

I had no doubt that a few people did this, but I didn't think it was very common.

Having said that, a horribly common response to me anytime I try to bring up prison reform is "pfft, those guys have it good. Food, cable, etc."

I don't know why that persists. It's tough to argue against that kind of ignorance, though, without pointing them to a pile of text that they have zero interest in reading because "gently caress criminals".

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Personal experience, although if you need a paper or something I'll look around. Do you have a Lexis account? To be clear, what I hear is not literally "I can't wait to come back and have this great food," but instead "I'm getting out and I don't know what I'm going to do, I'll be back in here soon, I just know it" and "gently caress it man I do better in here than out there."

Alternative sentences or alternatives to punishment altogether? I'd say the main way to eliminate the installment plan would be more access to better-funded drug treatment and post-release socialization, and some place for the mentally ill to go that isn't jail or one of those shoddy "homes" that boomers run (my parents are trying to get one of the three in their neighborhood shut down right now). With the mental illness, a lot of the meds are expensive and you know how it is if you're broke or have no insurance. And something better for post-release transitional housing than the current system of halfway houses (although not all HH are bad). Now that kind of stuff costs tax money, but it's possible that after the upfront costs are paid it's still cheaper than prison time; since basically every imaginable alternative is cheaper than prison. Then you've also got things that make compliance with parole or probation more difficult; that's kind of it's own issue though.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

We need to understand that spending money on "criminals" in terms of treatment and education is expensive. Very expensive. But it is cheaper and better for society than than putting non-violent offenders (a category I might define more broadly than the average person) in prison. However, for some reason voters can't get this through their head. They want punishment and think education is "rewarding" the criminal.

What's even more of a mindbender is people's reactions to the "your kid" question:

"If your kid committed a first-time crime of X (caught with a quarter-gram of crack, whatever) what punishment would you recommend?"

The answer is universally: "Well obviously I'd send him to drug treatment, he shouldn't be sent to prison for seven years. My child is an angel. The judge would probably show mercy and the attorneys would understand and we'd work it out."

"If some random guy committed the exact same crime, how would you react?"

"SEND THAT DEVIL TO JAIL!"

BigHead fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 17, 2010

Michaelos
Oct 11, 2004

Upgraded to platinum to donate money to Lowtax.
HidingFromGoro, does this sound like a better alternative then existing programs or a worse one? It's discussing something I hadn't heard of called a 'wet house' that focuses on Alcoholics.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16774107

quote:

Marion Hagerman appreciates your concern.

But it's OK to give up on him, he says. Everyone else has — which might be the only sensible thing to do. Hagerman has been drinking for 39 years. He drinks despite decades of lectures, prayers and punishment. He drinks despite two years of homelessness, six DWI convictions, six treatments for alcoholism and 13 months in jail.

What's ahead for Hagerman? The 54-year-old can see only one thing in his future — more drinking. That's why he feels lucky to live in a hospice for alcoholics — St. Anthony Residence in St. Paul. There, 60 men can — and often do — drink until they die.

There are no counselors, no scolding, no 12-step programs, no group hugs. Just the love of Hagerman's life, waiting for him every day — alcohol. On his weeklong binges, he chugs vodka, beer or mouthwash. They are interchangeable to him, he said, gazing around his 12-by-12-foot concrete apartment.

"I drink," he said quietly, "until I kill the drat day off."

For three years, St. Anthony has been operated by Ramsey County, St. Paul, the state of Minnesota and Catholic Charities, at a cost of $18,000 per person per year. It's one of four so-called "wet houses" in the state. Like a growing number of wet houses across the country, it allows alcoholics to drink, even when it's killing them. Some experts attack places like St. Anthony. "To me, a wet house is nothing more than a house of despair and death," said William C. Moyers, vice president of foundation relations for Hazelden treatment centers.

"It is never too late for someone to get help," Moyers said. "Just because there are people who have been through treatment before does not mean we can write them off."

But the men staying at St. Anthony say alcohol isn't just a habit — it is who they are. If any kind of treatment were required, they would return to a homeless life of fear, disease and tremendous public expense. It's not uncommon for a homeless alcoholic to cost the public more than $1 million during decades of drinking — for multiple jail stays, emergency room visits, rounds of alcoholism treatment and other costs.

But the costs and the suffering are greatly reduced once they arrive at St. Anthony.

"This place is a godsend," said 61-year-old Ron, a 40-year alcoholic and former South Dakota farmer who didn't want his last name published. He plans — as much as he plans anything — to drink until he dies at St. Anthony.

"I am happy here," he said.

'IT'S JUST SO HONEST HERE'

Social workers refer homeless alcoholics to St. Anthony. That usually happens after a dreary cycle of drunken-driving arrests, hospital visits and trips to detox, the county-run centers for sobering up.

"A counselor might say: 'You've been through treatment six times. This doesn't seem to be working for you,' " said Bill Hockenberger, a former alcoholic who manages St. Anthony.

These are not soccer moms on chardonnay. Hockenberger's clients have no family connections, no jobs and no money. "These people have burned their bridges. They are done couch-surfing," he said. "They have peed on their last couch."

The alcoholics arrive at the 3-year-old building, which looks like a modern twin-tower hotel out of place in an industrial park. There's no sign outside. Inside, each room is like a minimum-security jail cell, with one light on a wall, one window and concrete floors, walls and ceilings. They arrive as refugees of countless anti-drinking treatments.

"Treatment is a bunch of B.S.," snapped Ricky Isaac, a three-year resident, as he drank a beer on the center's drinking patio.

"Those AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) people make me sick. I hate hearing about other people's problems. I have my own problems. If you want to quit, you quit on your own."

They rebel against the chirpy optimism of abstinence-based programs: Try harder. Pray. Ask for help. Don't give up. We feel your pain. In contrast, St. Anthony feels like Death Row. The message is refreshingly grim: Everyone is going to keep drinking, it's probably going to kill them, and no one's going to talk them out of it.

"It's just so honest here," Hockenberger said. "I ask someone, 'Have you had a drink today?' and they say: 'Definitely! I wish I had some more!' "

Once inside, the men come and go as they please. Mostly, they go to buy alcohol. They walk to nearby liquor stores. Or to drugstores, for mouthwash — which has up to 28 percent alcohol. Hockenberger had to ask the nearby Holiday gas station to stop selling 99-cent bottles of rubbing alcohol — too tempting for his men, he said. To get money, the alcoholics beg on the streets, collect cans for cash or work odd jobs.

When they bring the alcohol back, they check it in at the front desk. When they want to drink, they check it out and take it to the backyard patio. There, they drink with others, shouting and waving bottles and telling stories. Or they sit alone, taking a sip every minute or so. They stagger back to their bedrooms, sleep it off, wake up and do it again.

STILL ALONE

At St. Anthony the men know each other, but it's not like a college frat house. "It's a friendly environment, but they are not my friends," resident Hagerman said. "They are the people I drink with." The isolation was notable on Thanksgiving Day. During a festive turkey dinner, alongside men they had lived with for years, many sat alone in the lunchroom, eating in silence. That's because their primary relationship is not with other people, Hockenberger said, but with a bottle.

"I have seen men coming in and they chug down their vodka right there, just because they were afraid of losing it," Hockenberger said.

When that happens, he gently tells them: "It's OK. Check it in. It will be there for you in the morning." Once alcoholics become residents, the police know their names. If one is found passed out in a park, the police simply return him to St. Anthony — no ambulances, hospitals or trips to detox. If needed, residents get medical care from an in-house nurse. If they get sick, they go to a hospital. And when they get extremely sick?

There's an in-house hospice service. Three to five residents die every year.

Resident Wayne Britton, 59, who has 12 DWI convictions, recalled the death of his best friend, Dave, from throat cancer in 2008. In his final days, Dave was given food and alcohol in his room.

"He would send for me and say, 'Come in and have a bump with me,' " said Britton, sadly shaking his head. They sipped vodka together, which Britton said the dying man found comforting. The deaths don't get Hockenberger down — it's the evictions that bother him most. He sometimes has to kick someone out for misbehavior. When that happens, Hockenberger knows the man is going back to a homeless life of depression, frostbite and loneliness.

"When I see a client walk out of here," Hockenberger said, "sometimes it's the end of the line for them."

PARALLELS WITH HOSPICE

The St. Anthony approach is anathema to treatment programs, which are based on abstinence as the path to recovery. They believe any alcoholic can stop, and should try to.

"AA does not give up on people," said Tom Noerper, director of the St. Paul Area Intergroup, which refers alcoholics to AA meetings through a hot line.

"We will talk to anyone who wants to talk to us. Even if they were dying, we would want to be with them, as long as they want to see us." Hazelden's Moyers said that even if St. Anthony's men refuse treatment, housing them with public money is a tacit acceptance of their drinking.

"This is just a place to allow chronic alcoholics to keep drinking and steal from them any sense of hope or redemption," Moyers said.

Jan Hennings, spokeswoman for the Minnesota Hospital Association, questioned whether the wet-house model was humane. "I know some people would say we should keep trying — eight times or whatever — until we break through," she said.

But other experts say the bottomless optimism is naive. The St. Anthony model accepts the obvious — that a certain number of alcoholics are indeed hopeless, said Katie Tuione, program manager at Dorothy Day Center in St. Paul, a homeless shelter.

"This is about meeting people where they are and loving them. It's not rocket science," she said. "They still grieve, love and hurt. They still need food and shelter. They are you and I."

Dr. Steven Miles, professor of medicine and bioethics at the University of Minnesota, agreed.

The reason to support St. Anthony is not the money saved but the kindness extended to the residents. "It is the humanity of it, just like humanity drives the hospice system," he said. He said seeing people drink themselves to death is like watching chemotherapy patients gathering outside hospitals to smoke.

"Certainly no one encourages them to do this. But this is a society where people get to make their own choices, however bad they are," Miles said. St. Anthony's, he said, "is a rational response to meeting people's needs."

The approach, manager Hockenberger said, isn't treatment at all, but a "harm-reduction model."

'I KNOW I CAN ALWAYS FIND MY WAY HOME'

And the harm is indeed reduced. Housing the homeless slashes use of hospitals and emergency rooms by 50 percent to 75 percent, according to studies cited by Hearth Connection, a nonprofit group that fights homelessness in Minnesota.

Studies in Seattle, Denver and New York City have concluded that providing housing to homeless people with chronic health conditions — common among alcoholics — cuts time in jail and detox by up to 75 percent.

At St. Anthony, the men are healthier because of the on-staff nurse. She monitors their medications for such diseases as diabetes. Officials know the men and their conditions — so they don't have to rely on emergency rooms for routine care.

St. Anthony residents say the housing quells the anger that homeless people feel. When the men feel cared for — even loved — they aren't as likely to hurt others and themselves.

"This place is different. The staff is great. They are like brothers," said resident Isaac, a 30-year alcoholic who has served time for assault. "It's called respect."

The residents were aghast to hear anyone would question the wet-house approach.

"If not for this, I would be drinking in the street, in and out of detox," said Hagerman, a 39-year alcoholic. St. Anthony has lifted him out of a life of homelessness. He remembers the panhandling, walking into detox to get some sleep, the petty crime to slake his thirst for mouthwash, which he calls "wash."

"I would buy a bottle of wash or take it away from someone else," Hagerman said. He was told that some experts question spending tax money on hopeless causes. "F—- 'em," Hagerman said, waving at the four cinder-block walls in his tiny room. It's not much, he said, but it is safe.

"Here," he said, "I know I can always find my way home." One sunny November afternoon, a drunk staggered up to the building's front door. His clothes were a mess, his eyes were bloodshot, his words were slurred, and he smelled like a bathroom in a cheap bar. Most any treatment center in the state would have immediately kicked him out.

He ran into Hockenberger at the entrance. "Hey, Bill!" the man said, hoisting a 12-pack of beer. "I went shopping!"

"All right!" said Hockenberger, as he held the door open.

Since it mentioned it was an alternative to prison (among other places), I thought I would post it here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Michaelos posted:

HidingFromGoro, does this sound like a better alternative then existing programs or a worse one? It's discussing something I hadn't heard of called a 'wet house' that focuses on Alcoholics.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16774107

Since it mentioned it was an alternative to prison (among other places), I thought I would post it here.

This "approach" seems to me more like a cost saving/harm reduction measure than an alternative to prison. They have basically given up on these people but don't have the balls to execute them so they put them in a situation to let them commit suicide themselves.

I think an "unconditional love" approach rather than a "gently caress it, I give up, do what you want" would much better serve these desperate people. So let them drink in the halfway house, let them come in drunk, etc. Never turn them away to sleep on the streets, but don't let up on trying to help them improve their situation (which may very well not include stopping drinking, maybe just cutting back enough to function). These people are obviously highly depressed, and who can blame them. They're mostly homeless and even the treatment centers have given up on them. Their only pleasure in life is alcohol, of course they are going to over indulge.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

What's even more of a mindbender is people's reactions to the "your kid" question:

"If your kid committed a first-time crime of X (caught with a quarter-gram of crack, whatever) what punishment would you recommend?"

The answer is universally: "Well obviously I'd send him to drug treatment, he shouldn't be sent to prison for seven years. My child is an angel. The judge would probably show mercy and the attorneys would understand and we'd work it out."

"If some random guy committed the exact same crime, how would you react?"

"SEND THAT DEVIL TO JAIL!"
I like this.
The sad thing is that this would actually happen to the children of the people who write these laws.
It is fascinating how class can work its way into sentencing. And this is beyond the stuff not on the record. How so and so went to college, has a good job, contributes to the community through working with nonprofits, homeowner. How they started intensive drug rehab before even being arraigned (because they could afford bail AND a very expensive drug program).
Facts to find an exceptional circumstance, and grant probation, I'm sure. Thats if the prosecutor, who likely knows the parents (or knows someone who does), doesn't think, well this is a good kid with problems and dumps it to a misdemeanor.
It amazes me how much things matter. Two almost similar cases:
1. Upper class white kid aims a fake gun at another car. "Stupid kid poo poo, community service"
2. Lower class black kid. "He scared the poo poo out of those people. 90d. 60 if he pleas today."
Goddamn. This happens.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

I like this.
The sad thing is that this would actually happen to the children of the people who write these laws.
It is fascinating how class can work its way into sentencing. And this is beyond the stuff not on the record. How so and so went to college, has a good job, contributes to the community through working with nonprofits, homeowner. How they started intensive drug rehab before even being arraigned (because they could afford bail AND a very expensive drug program).
Facts to find an exceptional circumstance, and grant probation, I'm sure. Thats if the prosecutor, who likely knows the parents (or knows someone who does), doesn't think, well this is a good kid with problems and dumps it to a misdemeanor.
It amazes me how much things matter. Two almost similar cases:
1. Upper class white kid aims a fake gun at another car. "Stupid kid poo poo, community service"
2. Lower class black kid. "He scared the poo poo out of those people. 90d. 60 if he pleas today."
Goddamn. This happens.

1. 14 year-old black girl steals car, crashes it. It rolls onto and kills a toddler. Charge? First degree felony murder.
2. 17 and 18 year-old white high school football players from rich side of town playing paintball shootout on a four-lane highway. One of the trucks crashes and kills a passenger. Charge? Misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter all time suspended, expunged after a year. (Don't want to ruin their bright futures, after all)
This was actually a good thing, in a twisted way. The WTF injustice between the two cases (that happened within weeks of each other) played a part in getting the girl sent to juvenile rather than adult court.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

joat mon posted:

1. 14 year-old black girl steals car, crashes it. It rolls onto and kills a toddler. Charge? First degree felony murder.
2. 17 and 18 year-old white high school football players from rich side of town playing paintball shootout on a four-lane highway. One of the trucks crashes and kills a passenger. Charge? Misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter all time suspended, expunged after a year. (Don't want to ruin their bright futures, after all)
This was actually a good thing, in a twisted way. The WTF injustice between the two cases (that happened within weeks of each other) played a part in getting the girl sent to juvenile rather than adult court.

I may or may not have written a memo advocating that a nurse be charged with felony murder 'facilitating in the consumption of a schedule 1 drug' for accidentally administering morphine when she did not have the dispensation to without doctor supervision. (Yes the woman receiving the morphine died and a doctor was not around to give dispensation).

Felony murder is a blight upon our criminal justice system.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Hawaiian inmates beaten, threatened, at for-profit CCA prison in AZ.

quote:

Hawaiian Prisoners Beaten, Threatened in CCA Prison in Arizona
Dec. 16, 2010

A lawsuit brought on behalf of 18 Hawaiian prisoners held in Corrections Corporation of America’s Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy charges that guards stripped, beat, and kicked the prisoners and threatened to kill them in retaliation for a prison disturbance over the summer that injured a CCA employee. The guards beat the prisoners in order to coerce statements from them. The guards beat their heads against tables while they were stripped to their underwear with their hands cuffed behind their backs. CCA staff, including the Warden of the facility, threatened the prisoners and their families. The Warden reportedly told them he would add time to their sentences if they did not cooperate.

The suit also alleges that the CCA administrators and guards destroyed evidence of the beatings, including videotapes, and deliberately falsified reports to cover the incident up. The prisoners were also denied prompt medical treatment for their injuries in an effort to conceal evidence of the abuse.

An article in the Honolulu Courthouse News provides the shocking details:

“Plaintiffs were threatened with harm to themselves and their families, including through such statements as:

“a. ‘We have your emergency contact information;’

“b. ‘We know who your family is and where they live and we are going to harm them;’

“c. ‘We are going to kill you;’

“d. ‘We will continue to beat you and the only way to stop that is to commit suicide;’

“e. ‘We will send you to hell;’

“f. ‘We will stick something up your rear end.’

The Governor of Hawaii, Neil Abercrombie, has pledged to do everything in his power to bring all Hawaiian prisoners back to the islands and out of CCA and other private prisons on the mainland.

Meanwhile, here in Arizona, state legislative leaders are pledging to do everything they can to put more of our prisoners in these facilities.

Representative Nancy McLain, who represents Mohave County, where the Kingman prison is located, said she’s all for allowing for-profit corporations to run our prisons: “I’m still in favor of private prisons, and the escape at the Kingman prison doesn’t change that,” she said.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

duck monster posted:

I have met one of the 'screws' that happened to be one of the people who copped the boiling water treatment. I am not exagerating when I say that at first I thought he had been caught in a fire. He looks that bad. Funnily enough, not only was he pragmatic about the attack, saying it could have been worse and his children might not have a father, but he was also an advocate of prison reform. He hoped it would stop what happened to him from happening again.

Our prison system has progressed, Rangeview is non-confrontational for juveniles and Hakea is a world class example of a medium security prison, combining incarceration with education, activities and programs for all of the residents that wish to participate.

Casuarina still has a long way to go. There are less programs, as you would expect of a maximum security prison, and there is still the looming prospect of segregation. Residents who are considered to be trouble still face the prospect of being locked up 22/7. In special cases this can extend to 23/7 and be combined with complete segregation from the other residents and guards.

At least we still have Wooroloo. That is where I would like to go if I was locked up. No bars, no bullshit and a great selection of programs for those who are interested.

E: ESL horrible grammar.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

JudicialRestraints posted:

Felony murder is a blight upon our criminal justice system.

Felony murder is right up there with three strikes laws in my eyes. Especially considering all the poo poo they can put on you because of your co-felons. Basically, your co-felon kills someone, and you get felony murder because they're your agent. Or negligent poo poo that your co-felons did that got themselves killed (car accident while escaping or something comparable).

• Locked thread