Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So the partner goes "T as in tedious, M as in moron, and one forty five as in when I dropped off your wife."

hahaha who does this?

That's like something out of the Mad Men era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

entris posted:

hahaha who does this?

That's like something out of the Mad Men era.
I imagine his face looks exactly like: :smug:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

One time when I was a young associate about three lawyers and me were entertaining a client in the Quarter. By the end of lunch a partner was running around the table with a bottle of Crown Royal he stole from the bar, filling wine glasses with whiskey while a waitress followed him around keeping track in a little notepad. I think the tab was just under $2k for the five of us.

So then we took the client to the strip club and proceeded to continue drinking. A different partner bought everyone VIP lapdances, and we decided which one was the best and sent her upstairs with the client for a knobber.

After that I think I got in an argument with one of those annoying waitresses about Katrina and she basically called me a carpetbagger because I wasn't born in New Orleans (neither was she, she was from down the river in St. Bernard). This was post Katrina and the implication was that I wasn't a real New Orleanian who had suffered from the storm, which pissed me off because I was here well before and chose to come back when it wasn't fashionable, as in when my house was still flooded and had no power.

I called her "worthless Chalmette mud," and she threw a balled-up cocktail napkin in my face, so I picked the napkin back up and stuffed it down the front of her bra and told her to suck another dick for money why don't you.

I went across the street to another bar. I was sure I would get in trouble with the other lawyers or the client or something, but one of the partners followed me over and when he pointed out that the client had just been blown by a prostitute and I was hanging out in a strip club on Bourbon Street with three wasted lawyers on a Tuesday at 2 in the afternoon, I felt better about myself.

Well now I am definitely going to call you when I'm in town on Saturday.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Stunt Rock posted:

Well now I am definitely going to call you when I'm in town on Saturday.
We will need a trip report.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Petey posted:

Don't go Sophia. It will ruin you.

Petey, SA has already dragged me to evil. I may as well finish the process!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You're not far off. This was the sane guy who ran round with the bottle of Crown in the other story.

One time around Halloween someone told him a female paralegal was wearing a cat mask and so he yells from his desk, "[paralegal], come in here so I can see your costume. And you better be on all fours like a good little pussy."

This is the same guy that made the decision about who to list first on the letterhead between me and a guy who passed the bar with me by whoever could pound a beer the fastest.

Another time we were having lunch at Galatoires (think old time blue blood) and this guy is on fire drunk, yelling at the top of his lungs and running around the dining room talking to people he knows. We were there with a heavy hitter who probably dropped $20k a year at the place so the staff wasn't saying a word, but one old man took it upon himself to intervene.

The guy was like 80. He walks over to our table and says to the partner, "I just wanted you to know that you have ruined my wife's lunch."

The partner picks himself up and gets a solemn look an his face and says. "Sir, I apologize. Let me buy you and your wife a drink."

"No thank you. You, sir, are an rear end in a top hat."

Not missing a beat: "Then I'm in good company, because you're a dick and your wife's a oval office."

We were banned for a month for that one. A WHOLE MONTH

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 17, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is the same guy that made the decision about who to list first on the letterhead between me and a guy who passed the bar with me by whoever could pound a beer the fastest.

You better have won that challenge!

quote:

Another time we were having lunch at Galatoires (think old time blue blood) and this guy is on fire drunk, yelling at the top of his lungs and running around the dining room talking to people he knows. We were there with a heavy hitter who probably dropped $20k a year at the place so the staff wasn't saying a word, but one old man took it upon himself to intervene.

The guy was like 80. He walks over to our table and says to the partner, "I just wanted you to know that you have ruined my wife's lunch."

The partner picks himself up and gets a solemn look an his face and says. "Sir, I apologize. Let me buy you and your wife a drink."

"No thank you. You, sir, are an rear end in a top hat."

Not missing a beat: "Then I'm in good company, because you're a dick and your wife's a oval office."

We were banned for a month for that one. A WHOLE MONTH

I am laughing so hard right now.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread 13: Phil with it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

entris posted:

You better have won that challenge!

I won the first one but was told I spilled some and so we had to do it again. The other guy won that time and so I took my place at the bottom of the letterhead in shame.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ah memories

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Today in Manhattan Criminal court we saw New York County's finest do battle with the public defender service to convict a fifty-five year old crack addict on a buy bust. Both sides continually used phrases like, "When defendant sold you the crack (sustained)" and "When Mr. Thomas arranged for UC 0914 to buy crack (sustained)" and "When you look at your notes, you remember full details about the day in question (sustained)." All in all, it was a complete waste of a jury, of three lawyers, a judge, four court officers, and a clerk.

When I grow up and be a prosecutor (if that's where I end up), I swear I'm just going to ACD these stupid arrests.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

also hahahaha wtf http://www.bus.miami.edu/graduate-programs/one-year-mba/jd-llm-mba/index.html

quote:

Miami Law and the School of Business has created a new offering: the possibility of obtaining three degrees-a JD, and LLM in Tax or Real Property Development, and an MBA-in only four years and 2 summers.

This new program offers a combination of legal and business degrees to students who were undergraduate business majors. These credentials are ideal for anyone with a long-term goal of servicing top corporate clients or becoming a senior executive at a bank, real estate company, or financial institution. They also serve as significant assets in today’s competitive marketplace to any attorney starting out in tax or real estate law.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

They should get their proofreader a couple more degrees

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

My brother works at Kaplan, and their "university" makes degrees like a factory. They decided a certain singer/songwriter appealed to their demographic, so they awarded him a degree in creative writing and paid him a bunch of money to promote how the degree helped him become a great success :wtf:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bahn mi chat

Grilled pork. Mmmmmm.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Phil Moscowitz posted:

One time around Halloween someone told him a female paralegal was wearing a cat mask and so he yells from his desk, "[paralegal], come in here so I can see your costume. And you better be on all fours like a good little pussy."

i don't mean to be Brigadier General Gender Equality up in this thread or anything but this sounds like this would be mega uncomfortable for everyone else in the office

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Just So You Nerds Know, it looks like the PMF website has been completely overhauled and the new one is located here. What's more, the PMF Program Office

quote:

now estimates that the notice of results for all nominees in the PMF Class of 2011 on whether or not selected as semi-finalists are projected to be sent via email the week of December 20-24, 2010. Once the official list of semi-finalists is ready, a copy will be posted to the PMF website. Thank you!

My understanding from reading random blog posts I found on some blog somewhere is that last year they sent out a number of false positive emails to finalists so my advice would be to wait until the official list is posted before you get excited about any email you receive for OPM, provided you are even biologically capable of becoming excited this far along in your graduate studies.

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 18, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

Bahn mi chat

Grilled pork. Mmmmmm.

Oh jesus. I loving love bahn mi. The bread is like crack.

Some places now are selling them with chinese bbq pork inside and somehow it gets even better.

But the best I've ever had cost me a nickel, was a small loaf with a chopped snout in it and some cucumber that cost the equivalent of a buck. And I got ripped off.

Fucke.

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008

builds character posted:

What's the best way to set up a college fund? If I buy an index stock and put it into a trust in the name of not-atlas-of-bugs-in-20-years and they're entitled to the trust estate on enrollment in not-school-in-new-orleans will the tax base be the initial amount I put the stock in at? I vaguely recall there being some trick here but don't remember what it is.

I have to admit we don't do a lot of college planning. I know of one client who set up 529 plans for some of his grandkids, but then there was a big issue we had to research about whether under the terms of the trust, the beneficiaries were entitled to X amount that was put in the fund, or X amount distributed out - as some of the 529 plans had lost a ton of money in the market crash. People in our group are actually pretty divided about the best way to save for college - some like 529s and some don't.

builds character posted:

Which firms are good at T&E law and how much lateral movement is there among those practices? What are your exit opportunities?

In terms of national presence, Chambers and Partners has a pretty accurate list of the top firms and practitioners: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/37128

These are the firms that dynastic families and other incredibly rich folks will use, but I'm sure most of them do lower end planning as well.

Also, there are firms with good regional reputations. Here in LA, in addition to those on the list I would say off the top of my head, Mitchell Silberberg, Hoffman Saban, Oldman Cooley, Venable, the Weinstock firm, and probably others.

builds character posted:

Which firms are good at T&E law and how much lateral movement is there among those practices? What are your exit opportunities?

Once you have worked in T&E for a while it is very easy to move around. I think around 3-5 years is ideal to lateral. I have been getting at least 1-2 recruiter calls a day for the last few months. In terms of exit opportunities, there are a lot but they are not necessarily lucrative. The best would be working for a wealthy client's family office or as their private attorney or trustee. Otherwise you can work for a Private Bank department of a large bank or a smaller wealth management firm, or as some sort of legal advisor or risk management officer for various trust companies or banks.

builds character posted:

Do you typically establish statutory trusts or common law trusts? In Ca. or in Delaware?

I believe they are all common law trusts - when I think of statutory trust I think of something like a Massachusetts business trust. We do primarily CA trusts, but occasionally draft irrevocable DE trusts when the client is willing to pay for the Delaware Trustee. Delaware trusts have a few advantages in that they can last forever and if they are drafted in a certain way and you don't have CA trustees or CA source income, the retained income isn't subject to CA tax.

builds character posted:

What do institutional trustees typically charge?

It depends on what you want them to do. For a directed Delaware Trustee who won't have to do much but make distributions when you tell it to, you can get one for like $3500 per year. If you want a full service trustee - like if you name JP Morgan as trustee of the trust for your no-good grandson, they will charge a lot. Usually something like 1% of assets - with that percentage getting smaller if you put in a lot of money - say $30 million or so. They also charge a ton of additional fees, like for administering your estate or trust right when you die, or managing real estate or LLC assets, or for investing your stocks, or selling or buying assets - it comes out to a about 1-1.5% of assets per year typically, but if you have a lot of money you can negotiate.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

i don't mean to be Brigadier General Gender Equality up in this thread or anything but this sounds like this would be mega uncomfortable for everyone else in the office

No doubt. It made me uncomfortable enough to tell him not to say poo poo like that. I had to explain that he would get sued for sexual harassment before he agreed with me though.

This guy was asked to leave the firm so while these are entertaining stories don't think that you can act like this consistently and keep a good reputation.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

CaptainScraps posted:

Oh jesus. I loving love bahn mi. The bread is like crack.

Some places now are selling them with chinese bbq pork inside and somehow it gets even better.

But the best I've ever had cost me a nickel, was a small loaf with a chopped snout in it and some cucumber that cost the equivalent of a buck. And I got ripped off.

Fucke.

It's banh mi you loving heathen.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No doubt. It made me uncomfortable enough to tell him not to say poo poo like that. I had to explain that he would get sued for sexual harassment before he agreed with me though.

This guy was asked to leave the firm so while these are entertaining stories don't think that you can act like this consistently and keep a good reputation.

You must have better looking support staff than I do because I can safely say that there's not a single female in my office that I would ever want to see in a cat suit, much less on all fours.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yadayadayada posted:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Four Finger Wu posted:

I have to admit we don't do a lot of college planning. I know of one client who set up 529 plans for some of his grandkids, but then there was a big issue we had to research about whether under the terms of the trust, the beneficiaries were entitled to X amount that was put in the fund, or X amount distributed out - as some of the 529 plans had lost a ton of money in the market crash. People in our group are actually pretty divided about the best way to save for college - some like 529s and some don't.

The best way to save for college might be to not, depending on how much you make and where you plan to send your kids.

Unless you can pay the whole way out of pocket when they're that age you might as well just bank on whatever financial aid they get and then IBR the rest of the way.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Recap of my week: Boss had his hand on my rear end the entire Christmas Party, told me to drink more and not to worry if I got pulled over because he'd represent me for free. Then yesterday I basically got goatse'd by the DA's office. Protip: usually, not ALWAYS are discovery photos required to be ordered on disc media. Sometimes they like to slip full color glossies of dead 16 year olds right into your email.

gently caress this gay earth.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Save me jeebus posted:

Recap of my week: Boss had his hand on my rear end the entire Christmas Party, told me to drink more and not to worry if I got pulled over because he'd represent me for free.

Well the solution here's pretty obvious, you should move to GamingHyena's firm.

Edit: I meant the solution for GamingHyena's problem

nm
Jan 28, 2008

yadayadayada posted:

In my defense, I fat fingered it in my post.

Cost $2.75

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Save me jeebus posted:

Recap of my week: Boss had his hand on my rear end the entire Christmas Party, told me to drink more and not to worry if I got pulled over because he'd represent me for free. Then yesterday I basically got goatse'd by the DA's office. Protip: usually, not ALWAYS are discovery photos required to be ordered on disc media. Sometimes they like to slip full color glossies of dead 16 year olds right into your email.

Are you hot? you sound hot.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

billion dollar bitch posted:

Are you hot? you sound hot.

I'm reasonably attractive but I need to lose some lingering 1L, 5 hours a day commuting weight. Although I'm not as ugly or repressed as his last assistant, so he may have been testing the limits. Predecessor is a 30-something 300# Mormon virgin, so it's not like I have a lot to live up to. Also in her motions she was still sending stuff out on captions listing partners that left 10 years ago (also one is now a client for DUI, along with his son), and spelling "signed" as "singed." So I guess Judges here light their orders on fire or something. Right up there with the "please agreement" I saw.

Oh Christmas Party story time, speaking of my boss: He regaled the entire office and their various spouses of his escapades over Thanksgiving, wherein an on/off girlfriend of his (an ADA) showed up at his house drunk and horny. He took what he thought was a Viagra, turned out to be a sleeping pill (whatever else is blue, Ambien maybe?) The whole room went pretty much silent. Sometimes my boss is awesome in his inappropriateness.

Also later that evening he retired to the hot tub (his house), dragging one of his other longtime partners with him while loudly proclaiming that he was, indeed, still a Man's Man. Also tried to drag myself and the only female atty in the office along with. Party pretty much broke up after that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I love when a girl reveals herself to the thread

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
http://biglegalbrain.com

Is this one of you? It's brilliant.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
phil with it

My boss is a NOLA native, so he makes me think of you Phil. And Atlas too of course.

Maybe if I let him keep touching my rear end he'll take me to Mardi Gras.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazing Tales of a Patent Examiner:

I went to the gym at 3 while my loving lazy dogs slept on my bed.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Amazing Tales of a Patent Examiner:

I went to the gym at 3 while my loving lazy dogs slept on my bed.

Amazing Tales of a Patent Prosecutor:

I only go to the gym once a week now. Not having free time sucks.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Anyone know how to download a database in westlaw?

I'm trying to download Bankruptcy Law and Practice 3d by Norton but it seems to want to make me go section by section rather than the whole thing?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ersatz posted:

I'm having second thoughts about interviewing. I'm in the gym five days a week right now, and I have to keep it up for spring rugby starting in February.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Ersatz posted:

I'm a patent prosecutor, too, but I have tons of free time. Granted, I've switched over to a smaller boutique firm. But I haven't been to the gym so often in quite some time. Sometimes I'll just leave work at 3:30 or 4:00 and just head over to the gym. This must be the patent examiner life.

mongeese fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 18, 2010

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love when a girl reveals herself to the thread
*breathes heavily*

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Feces Starship posted:

lawnet consulted. holland oats identified.

commence reputation sabotage procedure

Oh goddammit, I should have thought of that. Now all of CLS will know about my love of MMA and Pokemon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

*breathes heavily*

I tee em up, you hit em out, kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Save me jeebus posted:

Also in her motions she was still sending stuff out on captions listing partners that left 10 years ago (also one is now a client for DUI, along with his son), and spelling "signed" as "singed." So I guess Judges here light their orders on fire or something. Right up there with the "please agreement" I saw.

Before I give my judge his copies of motions, I always make sure to highlight those items. I think they amuse him, but he's too nice to call out the attorneys on them.

Although once we did get a brief on a motion for reconsideration (which I assume was copy pasta that the associate who drafted it didn't scan carefully enough) in which Plaintiff's attorney repeatedly referred to her client as Defendant and even signed herself "Counsel for Defendant." She didn't respond to a call offering her the chance to rectify it before Judge got his copy, so when the order went out, I dropped a footnote highlighting her inability to determine who she was representing.

Do senior partners read orders like that? Would there likely be a chewing-out to follow? I like to think so.