Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ketchupface posted:

My parents were huge fans of MST3K (and bad movies in general) and for Christmas I want to get them some rifftrax, but they hate sitting down in front of a computer to watch a movie. How feasible is buying a riff, burning it to a CD, and playing it on a CD player?

Also, I'm afraid I might incite some kind of fan-riot with this, but what riffs do you guys recommend me get? I already have DVDs of Forbidden Zone (which has no riff, yes, but is also a movie that fascinates me with everything I hear about its plot) and Plan 9, and nearly every riff on the catalog is for a movie my family doesn't own, which I'd buy as well.
mp3 player hooked to speakers, or re-authoring the dvd with synced audio, are the two best options.

The Happening and Roadhouse are solid riffs in addition to what has been mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Ketchupface posted:

... what riffs do you guys recommend me get?

The live version of "Plan 9" (so long as you just watch the short and the movie), the live Christmas shorts, "The Happening", "Jurassic Park", and "The Matrix Reloaded" would be my biggest recommendations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

You can't go wrong with the unholy trinity: Road House, Point Break, Over The Top (arm wrestling movie starring Stallone, enough said)

Also Top Gun

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 13, 2010

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of the Live shows, did they ever release a dvd of the last two live shows?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rirse posted:

Speaking of the Live shows, did they ever release a dvd of the last two live shows?

Yeah, what is up with that? I really wanna see that Grass short again from the Reefer Madness show.

:gonk: "WHAT AM I?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of odd that they still haven't released the grass short on its own either.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

muscles like this? posted:

Its kind of odd that they still haven't released the grass short on its own either.

Or the creepy paper short from House on Haunted Hill

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My friend listens to sports talk radio at work and out of nowhere they start talking about Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax and how you can now go to the theaters and watch them live, and then poof, the discussion disappeared as if it never happened. It lasted maybe 15 seconds, and then back to orgasming over THAT GUY WHO TURNED DOWN THE YANKEES OMG.

But man, those 15 seconds, it was like we had entered the Twilight Zone.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Tragedienne posted:

Or the creepy paper short from House on Haunted Hill

Or "Aesop's Frozen Frolics", the most mean-spirited cartoon in the history of all mankind.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

From Bill Corbett's Facebook:

"I am here to tell you!...that SANTA AND THE ICE CREAM BUNNY is as unbelievably bad as ANY movie ever done on MST3K. And yes, I mean as bad as MANOS; THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES (etc.); and [your pick here]. PLAN 9-level bad. Badness. BAD."

Still not available for purchase on the Rifftrax site. :f5:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

From Bill Corbett's Facebook:

"I am here to tell you!...that SANTA AND THE ICE CREAM BUNNY is as unbelievably bad as ANY movie ever done on MST3K. And yes, I mean as bad as MANOS; THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES (etc.); and [your pick here]. PLAN 9-level bad. Badness. BAD."

Still not available for purchase on the Rifftrax site. :f5:

I'm excited about this since it's been a looong Christmas tradition of mine to watch as much holiday-related MST3K material as possible (Santa Claus, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Rifftrax shorts, etc.).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobservo posted:

I'm excited about this since it's been a looong Christmas tradition of mine to watch as much holiday-related MST3K material as possible (Santa Claus, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Rifftrax shorts, etc.).

Don't forget the Star Wars Christmas Special and it's wonderful commercials.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Surprised the new feature isn't up yet. Its getting pretty late in the day for something that's supposed to be out today.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It's up. Just got it, I can't wait to see this holiday horror tonight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh, its the VoD version. I'll wait for the download to burn.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
This will make my many plane rides easier tomorrow.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What format is the VoD version in? Could I load it onto my flash drive and run it on my PS3 or 360?

EDIT: I just realized, these videos DO play on my PS3. Buying this now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

$10 makes me wish they had an option for something like "$20 + S&H preorders a disk, and you get the digital copy now". I know this whole thing was changed last minute so there was no way to get a disk out in time, but I wouldn't mind the wait.

Also, Monday I'm bringing last year's Christmas Live special to my friend's house, who've I gotten into RiffTrax. She's seen the latest 2 Live shows with me (speaking of things that need to be on DVD...) but hasn't seen this.

"Rudolph, I need you!"
"WOAH!"

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Click here for the full 661x496 image.

:frogsiren:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy Christ. Holy poo poo. I had to pause Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny because holy poo poo. And then I almost made a sign of the cross in honor of Mike, Bill, and Kevin, who probably had to watch this more than once and didn't always have the luxury of a pause button.

Because HOLY poo poo.

Bill Corbett undersold this one. I'm only ten minutes in, but this is the Rifftrax equivalent of that tape in The Ring; once you see it, you have to show it to someone else or it will eat away at you. It's becoming clear to me, for instance, that I'm gonna have to drop this on my extended family like a nuclear bomb when we get together for Christmas Eve.

Because holy loving poo poo.

EDIT: Lot of hyperbole in this post, maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. Sorry. I'm just amazed someone could be this incompetent with a camera.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 18, 2010

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

DivisionPost posted:

EDIT: Lot of hyperbole in this post, maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. Sorry. I'm just amazed someone could be this incompetent with a camera.

Just think though: At some point, that film was showing, in a theater, to most likely a room filed with kids.

There are not many films where I have to take a break because it is so mind numbingly incompressible that I fear my sanity... This is one of those films. Even with their riffing, it is extremely hard to sit through. The last 15 minutes alone can drive someone to madness.

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
If I purchase the VOD version will I be able to download the ISO when it's released?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I purchased it as VOD and I don't seem to be able to get the iso (which is now released).

Grab the iso and rip it yourself and you'll have the best of both worlds.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, I did some cursory research on Wikipedia in an effort to understand what the hell I watched. Pirate's World opened in 1965 and was a highly successful theme park until Walt Disney World opened in 1971. Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny was produced in '72. The park declared bankruptcy in '73 and eventually closed in '75. There's now luxury condominiums where the park once was.

I think it's clear that this film was bad enough to bankrupt an entire amusement park.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, I did some cursory research on Wikipedia in an effort to understand what the hell I watched. Pirate's World opened in 1965 and was a highly successful theme park until Walt Disney World opened in 1971. Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny was produced in '72. The park declared bankruptcy in '73 and eventually closed in '75. There's now luxury condominiums where the park once was.

I think it's clear that this film was bad enough to bankrupt an entire amusement park.

I hear what you're saying: but having a Disney theme park open next to you will bankrupt you faster than a hundred Battlefield Earth's.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Never done the "download to burn" before.

Do I need softwares? :ohdear:

e: derp, just throw it into "disk utility". HOORAY!

e2: 6 hours 19 minutes to download? :argh:

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 19, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is loving NUTS.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I'm just grabbing a few holiday riffs, is Nestor worth it?

Also, haven't heard anything about the new short yet.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

New short is great and has a genuinely shocking "sweet Christ they could only get away with this in the 40s" moment.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Ohhhh it's hot. So hot. Too hot for Santa

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny in a nutshell:

That explains it pretty clearly I think.

Also I got that Punch and Judy short. That is quite bizarre as well, but nearly as much as this.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

drasticactions posted:

"For the first time in over one hundred and fifty movies, Rifftrax has nothing to say."

Edit:

drasticactions posted:

Oh God. I can't get enough of that kid's fey wrist-slapping motion.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 19, 2010

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 1, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

exponentory posted:

"Guys, if you don't mind, I got this one- AHHHHHHH OHMYGODAHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHHHH"

One of my favorite bits was Mike's "close your eyes and these sounds take on a whole new meaning" joke.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
The Sir Lawrence Olivier line actually had me in tears. My girlfriend took a picture. It was not very flattering.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Chuggarum...chuggarum...He's actually giving you advice on how to forget this film. Chug a rum.

DivisionPost posted:

Pirate's World

Pirates World. Not possessive- just a world with more than one pirate.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I just saw Tron Legacy and I hope they Riff that very disappointing movie.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

IUG posted:

So I just saw Tron Legacy and I hope they Riff that very disappointing movie.

Dit-friggin-oh.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

muscles like this? posted:

One of my favorite bits was Mike's "close your eyes and these sounds take on a whole new meaning" joke.

What the hell is that? Is Pee-Wee Herman watching a movie somewhere?

• Locked thread