Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's some tips for Metro 2033. I just reached the second chapter at the bar, but if I missed anything important, I can always go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

What's some tips for Metro 2033. I just reached the second chapter at the bar, but if I missed anything important, I can always go back.

Do you want the good ending? If so you'll want to make sure you talked to your dad twice, took the photograph, and played one of the random lyres hanging around. For the rest of the game, if you see a hookah smoke it, if you have a vision run at the monster as unless its the final one atop the tower at the end of the game (which kills you), some random junk lying about, and helping the homeless. You don't need to do everyone, so pretty much as long as you've done the ones in your hometown you should be pretty good for the rest of the game.

Additionally; a scoped, silenced pistol is a godsend and makes the communist/nazi part of the game tolerable. The final shop in the game is a small, hallway looking city that leads out to a nazi base outside in the snow. Once you pass that point money-bullets are just extra damage bullets.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Just Cause 2. Grabbed it on Steam along with the Air and Boom packs.

One of the lesser known facts is that you have a little signal bar in the upper left corner. The closer you are to a pickup, the more the bar will grow until it flashes white meaning you're right on top of a pickup. At this point the game will usually flash an arrow in the item's direction.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thwack! posted:

Thanks Quarex and ToxicFrog. Though I am aware of respec your skill points, I'll start again due to the fact that I missed out on the Malachite gems on Broken Valley as well as skipping the side-quests aside from the one where you gotta save some pigs.

Missing out on the malachite gems isn't a big deal as long as you keep your eyes open from now on - you can generally find enough to enchant a single set of endgame equipment, and once you're into the expansion it hands them out like candy as quest rewards.

Missing out on the quests is rather more upsetting, though, and definitely worth a restart - or at least a rewind to before you completed the Temple.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

These are extremely old-school, but any tips for the Ishar games? My experience with these types of RPGs is extremely limited so more general tips would be appreciated as well. A few basic questions I had...

-Should I keep multiple saves and is it possible to get "stuck" via puzzles or lost items?

-Is food required and should I be sparing or just consume whenever?

-Any particular party compositions or character designs that work better than others in the Ishar games specfically?

And of course anything else that could be helpful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jive One posted:

These are extremely old-school, but any tips for the Ishar games? My experience with these types of RPGs is extremely limited so more general tips would be appreciated as well. A few basic questions I had...

-Should I keep multiple saves and is it possible to get "stuck" via puzzles or lost items?

-Is food required and should I be sparing or just consume whenever?

-Any particular party compositions or character designs that work better than others in the Ishar games specfically?

And of course anything else that could be helpful.
All of this is based on the first game.

Being an early RPG you should always keep multiple saves. Remember that saving costs money so only do it when you absolutely need it. You can't bring back dead characters so this is when you want to reload.

I think characters suffer damage when starving but I never let myself get low. Just eat food when you get low.

For party composition, some characters are thieves that will betray you while resting or they hate other characters. You can tell how trustworthy someone is by talking to your party before hiring them. You'll want at least three warriors, a healer, and a spellcaster.

The game doesn't have an updating map so you want to take notes and you'll have to use landmarks (like water) to determine which direction you're facing. The game will tell you when you're entering a new region and some characters have the ability to tell the direction and landscape automatically. Enemies aren't randomized so you can fight all enemies in a region and not worry about having them respawn. Use this time to explore. The game world is surprisingly small so exploration doesn't have you wandering aimlessly for hours at a time.

The game's difficulty varies vastly depending on how much exploration you do. It's imposing at first because you have no idea what the gently caress you're doing but it's actually kind of a simple game. In the beginning you'll talk to a guy who gives general information (he's a thief and will betray you) and you can find one of the best healers by a grove in the same region. There's a secret village in your starting area but it's guarded by a white knight who can be very powerful unless you have ranged attacks. In the first town located to the south of your starting position there's a house near the coast that has tons of money in it. Use this to buy a bunch of good equipment and hire some folk. There are several other money caches located in abandoned houses. These will carry you for the majority of the game.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Looked on the wiki and didnt find anything, Anything I should know before attempting to play through God of War, and subsequently, God of War II? I just bought the God of War Collection.

Thanks guys.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

Looked on the wiki and didnt find anything, Anything I should know before attempting to play through God of War, and subsequently, God of War II? I just bought the God of War Collection.

Thanks guys.

The two most important upgrades are the blades you start with and Poseidon's Rage, which does ludicrous damage to groups of enemies, and even single large enemies.

There are chests hidden in all sorts of places, many of which you'll probably miss, but the best thing you can gain from them is an upgrade to your health or magic bars, so they're not essential.

Learn and use the fighting combos available to you as you unlock them. They're useful.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

TheTofuShop posted:

Thanks guys.

A bunch of the hidden chests can be found by simply going towards the camera, for example after climbing a ladder.

The "Plume of Prometheus" move (square, square, triangle) is handy in just about all situations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Just Cause 2:
Upgrading weapons also upgrades the enemy weapons, too.

Seriously?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PJStelford posted:

Seriously?

It actually makes sense in a weird way. The majority of your weapons you're going to collect from fallen enemies because you dont get that much ammo and you cant just buy ammo. So it saves you from being pissed off when you have to drop your 6 star revolver for a 1 star pistol just because you have no ammo.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic at a thrift store recently and was curious about what's the best build for someone new to this game? What kind of build is best suited for the main character?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

I picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic at a thrift store recently and was curious about what's the best build for someone new to this game? What kind of build is best suited for the main character?

Literally any build works. The games so easy you can do anything and not gently caress it up. My only advice is max out persuade, no matter what class you play, and repair, same deal. There's a party member you can make really buff with high repair. Other than that seriously just do what you like.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I don't know if they ever patched the Carth glitch, but if you're ever using stealth in a part where you're forced to go solo, save your game.

After your first play through, if you return to do the other side you might want to avoid levelling up your main character at first to use them all after the Jedi class-switch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

If you're going for a light side play then force speed and kill droid are the best abilities. Force speed gives you ridiculous boosts at the highest level. Without spoiling anything, the final boss has about 10 or so items scattered about the room that instantly heal him but kill droid destroys these. The guy can be a bitch without kill droid, you have to fight him solo, and it basically turns into an endurance match which might be unbeatable if you didn't stock up before the "point of no return."

BTW you'll see the point of no return coming pretty blatantly. Still, the final level is long and there's another solo boss fight before the final fight.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Starhawk64 posted:

When you get to choose which planets to go to, recommended order is Tatooine, Kashyyyk, Manaan, Korriban. The party members you pick up on Tatooine and Kashyyyk are the coolest party members in the game and were my default party. Upgrade force speed asap - not only is it a great combat buff, but you run real fast and it makes fetch quests faster in the geographically huge levels. Dark or light side, my first powers are heal and speed. I usually rolled tank since I wanted my guy to be in front but it is easy either however you cut it, you get really overpowered by the endgame.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

al-azad posted:

The guy can be a bitch without kill droid, you have to fight him solo, and it basically turns into an endurance match which might be unbeatable if you didn't stock up before the "point of no return."

BTW you'll see the point of no return coming pretty blatantly. Still, the final level is long and there's another solo boss fight before the final fight.

To be more precise, there is a reason why the enemies in the last level almost drown you in mega-health-hypos. And yes, it is unbeatable if you think that "I already have more than enough of these, just lets get over with this level" and don't have kill droid-ability. Also do not think that earlier encounter is any indication: The earlier confrontation is a joke compared to the last fight if you aren't prepared.

Also as said, the last fight is a solo fight, one of the three/four one in the game, so play style which heavily draws from group dynamic won't work. Actually, now that I think of it, it is rather stupid as there is no reason why you shouldn't have a group at that point. You took care of the cock block that incapacitated the rest of the people just earlier, and you still should have like five other guys in reserve. What are they doing, looking out for a meter maid?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

Just Cause 2. Grabbed it on Steam along with the Air and Boom packs.

There are mods to make the blackmarket items either free or cost 10% of what they normally do. Get one of these mods. The game is fun, but once you can just call in more grenades, machineguns or vehicles at will, it's incredibly fun.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

It actually makes sense in a weird way. The majority of your weapons you're going to collect from fallen enemies because you dont get that much ammo and you cant just buy ammo. So it saves you from being pissed off when you have to drop your 6 star revolver for a 1 star pistol just because you have no ammo.

But they could have accomplished that by simply having your weapons be more powerful and not boosting the enemy's weapons. I'm not doubting you necessarily, but it simply seems like a terrible game design decision.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

To be more precise, there is a reason why the enemies in the last level almost drown you in mega-health-hypos. And yes, it is unbeatable if you think that "I already have more than enough of these, just lets get over with this level" and don't have kill droid-ability. Also do not think that earlier encounter is any indication: The earlier confrontation is a joke compared to the last fight if you aren't prepared.

Also as said, the last fight is a solo fight, one of the three/four one in the game, so play style which heavily draws from group dynamic won't work. Actually, now that I think of it, it is rather stupid as there is no reason why you shouldn't have a group at that point. You took care of the cock block that incapacitated the rest of the people just earlier, and you still should have like five other guys in reserve. What are they doing, looking out for a meter maid?

To be fair, it's a star wars game. The Final battle of Master and Apprentice is so key to the star wars "feel" that it would have cheapened the experience if done differently.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Some of you might think that the Wiki is dead, but it just hasn't been contributed to in a long time.

Since that gap has left a lot of pages to add, I decided to throw it open, rather than continuing to enforce the whole "Add pages one by one from the beginning" method.

So, go here and add tips if you're feeling generous:

http://ahobday.com/misc/wsik/

I'm still going to ask that you email me for the password, since I'd rather not run the risk (However small) of some random person deleting entire pages etc. You can find my email address on the home page of the wiki.

Please read the "Help" page to get a grasp on the style conventions and the rules.

Thanks!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheTofuShop posted:

God of War, and subsequently, God of War II? I just bought the God of War Collection.

Thanks guys.

The majority of hidden items (to increase health and magic) are easy to find if you are thorough and explore the game areas. If you run right at the most obvious path of the camera you won't find very many. The game is great at having a ladder or a ledge or a balcony *just* offscreen.

So in between all the mindless bloodshed you should explore the maps carefully.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Starhawk64 posted:

When it comes to classes, for a first play through I'd recommend scout until level 7 to get the feat pick there, and then choose any Jedi class you like when they come available (spoilers you become a jedi). Scout gets you the most generally useful set of feats, and doesn't gimp your hitpoints or skill picks. You can stay at a lower level to get more Jedi levels when you get access to the Jedi classes, but it makes the early game pretty painful.

Force powers:

Like people above have posted, first pick is Force Speed. It's not just a good power, it also makes it a lot more convenient to travel around the maps.

After that, go straight for Dominate Mind, because if you aren't playing the game to mess with weak minded fools, why bother playing at all?

For light side, as mentioned above, Destroy Droid is great. There's a lot of nasty droid opponents throughout the game. Throw Lightsaber works for the last boss as well as Destroy Droid, but it seriously sucks as a power.

The dark side gets all the fun iconic powers, like Force Lightning, but don't overlook the Slow > Poison > Plague path. Plague might seem like a typically worthless RPG stat debuff, but the saving throw on it is ridiculous. Most of the tough bosses in the game won't save against it, so beginning a battle with a Plague will have a significant impact.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

Force Guardian, which is the melee centric class, is the only one that gets the Jump Attack ability, which can be paired with Force Speed for extra attacks. It makes wandering the world map mostly trivial, as soon as an enemy enters detection range your character will simply leap toward it and usually one shot it. It doesn't work inside, unless there are high ceilings; and does actually have a minimum range so scripted encounters won't get jump attacks.

If you'd like to actually see your party members fighting I'd avoid taking Guardian basically.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm considering getting STALKER - Call of Pripyat.
I'm far form a power gamer and generally like to explore things at a leisurely pace, not really caring for completion or efficiency. I don't need spoilers or pointers for how to solve quests or anything, just in general - is there anything I should keep in mind before starting my first game? (I played Shadow of Chernobyl years ago. Don't remember a whole lot but I recall liking it apart from some really unimaginative quests...)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Beeswax posted:

I'm far form a power gamer and generally like to explore things at a leisurely pace, not really caring for completion or efficiency. I don't need spoilers or pointers for how to solve quests or anything, just in general - is there anything I should keep in mind before starting my first game? (I played Shadow of Chernobyl years ago. Don't remember a whole lot but I recall liking it apart from some really unimaginative quests...)

You can choose to join Duty or Freedom, but you only get the opportunity to do that if you favour one of them in any quest that lets you, for example, give an item to one of them. You have to build up enough trust with them for them to offer you membership, you see. Neither one is better than the other, though, so just go for whichever group you like best.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anybody got anything for Muramasa Demon Blade? I just messed around with it for while, and it seems pretty fun. The number of different things I make get seems pretty overwhelming though. Also, as someone who likes a challenge in a game, but doesn't really like very hard games, should I be playing on the Normal or the Hard mode?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Beeswax posted:

You make money pretty much entirely through quests and collecting artifacts, so when you are running around doing stuff don't forget to swing by the anomalies marked on the map and check them out. And with the importance of artifact collecting, you want to get a good artifact detector asap. If you haven't played Clear Sky you won't be familiar with how artifact detectors work, basically you can't see artifacts until you are right on top of them, and your artifact detector indicates to you as to the location of the artifact. It will take a couple times to get used to. To get the mechanics to upgrade your stuff, you have to find them tools. Frankly I looked in a guide for some of them since they are a pain to find but if you ask enough NPCs eventually one will tell you where they are. CoP, particularly the first half, is less linear than SoC so feel free to wander and explore. You probably don't need any mods your first time through.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What I basically want is to know if it's possible to screw yourself out of victory and not know it in any given classic adventure game, particularly the ones on GoG. Early exposure to the King's Quest series has left me with an unwillingness to play adventure games unless I'm sure I'm not going to have to start the game over because I missed something obscure.

But for starters, how about The Journeyman Project 2?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gerblyn posted:

Anybody got anything for Muramasa Demon Blade? I just messed around with it for while, and it seems pretty fun. The number of different things I make get seems pretty overwhelming though. Also, as someone who likes a challenge in a game, but doesn't really like very hard games, should I be playing on the Normal or the Hard mode?
There's no reason not to play on Hard. The game is, unfortunately I suppose, extremely easy and there is absolutely no penalty for dying. If you find yourself at a roadblock then you can seamlessly switch back and forth between Normal and Hard anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

There's no reason not to play on Hard. The game is, unfortunately I suppose, extremely easy and there is absolutely no penalty for dying. If you find yourself at a roadblock then you can seamlessly switch back and forth between Normal and Hard anyway.

Ehhh, I dunno. I'm not the greatest at brawlers but the game is piss easy on normal and rip-your-hair-out hard on hard. Enemies go from barely scratching you to taking away half your health in a single hit + breaking your sword instantly.

I will say that you should only play the bosses on hard. For some retarded design reason they gave the bosses double health on normal. It turns otherwise neat boss fights into repetitive hack fests where you can close your eyes and still win.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

What I basically want is to know if it's possible to screw yourself out of victory and not know it in any given classic adventure game, particularly the ones on GoG. Early exposure to the King's Quest series has left me with an unwillingness to play adventure games unless I'm sure I'm not going to have to start the game over because I missed something obscure.

Hey, traumatized-by-King's-Quest buddy. :(:respek::(

Don't let it sour you on the genre, while Sierra was cranking out shitheaps like KQ, Lucasarts was making good games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

quote:

But for starters, how about The Journeyman Project 2?

I haven't played JP2, but I was never able to make JP3 unwinnable, and I understand that while JP1 can be made unwinnable, this is a bug - so you're probably good to go. The JP games certainly don't have the same propensity for casually loving over the player that the KQ games have.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, traumatized-by-King's-Quest buddy. :(:respek::(

Don't let it sour you on the genre, while Sierra was cranking out shitheaps like KQ, Lucasarts was making good games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

Oh, it hasn't soured me on the genre—Day of the Tentacle is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm the biggest fan of the Broken Sword series I know. It's just that with adventures from developers other than LucasArts, Sierra, and a few others, I don't know what to expect, and I like to play games with as few spoilers as possible.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Any tips on which powers I should be getting/upgrading first in Infamous? Taking the good path if that matters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brian Fellows posted:

Any tips on which powers I should be getting/upgrading first in Infamous? Taking the good path if that matters.

The power that recharges your electricity, and I think health as well at higher levels, with head-shots is pretty sweet. Other than that pretty much go hog wild.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Unsolicited tip for Evil Genius, because I've been playing it lately.

Cheat. Seriously, cheat yourself free money. Type "humanzee" at any time, then press Ctrl-C for free money. The stealing from the world map thing is tedious bullshit, and having to wait around for 20 minutes for enough money for a giant frickin' laser (in a game that's already mostly waiting around) is stupid. You'll thank me when you're packing your base with traps with impunity.

That said, don't go overboard with power-using stuff until you research and build nuclear generators (which are smaller and more powerful). This includes doors and security cameras.

A good base defence tactic is to have a maze of corridors and doors to dead ends at the start (in which enemies will waste a lot of time breaking into empty corridors), followed by a "corporate facade" (rooms with no heat and no loot - barracks, mess hall without mixer, and so on), then a small maze or at least a U-bend, THEN your main base.

Agents of Justice prioritise doors to hack into by their security level. Make those dead-end doors level 3 and they'll go for them more often than not.

Don't leave the first island until you've researched all of the island 1 research equipment (centrifuge, laser, impact stress analyser, biotanks), the nuclear generator, and the infirmary chair (which you need for a bonus objective that crops up right at the start of island 2 which you'll REALLY want to do).

sexy tram
Nov 5, 2010
Haven't really touched King's Bounty: The Legend much since I got it during the Black Friday sale but I really want to get into this. I've heard how hard this game can be at times, especially for beginners to this type of game. I already ready up on the wiki (not much), so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Brian Fellows posted:

There are no especially overpowered or underpowered powers/upgrades, so there's not much to worry about there. The power you get from doing the good side missions isn't very good, but you don't spend xp on that one anyway.

I will recommend that since you're playing good you should get the first upgrade for the Megawatt Hammer as soon as you can because that's the most fun upgrade in the game. Also, it's worth getting the first I think two upgrades for the Shield right away (the ones that make it so blocking with the shield restores your energy). You don't get either of those powers until well into the second island, though.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
... There is more than one island in Evil Genius?

Welp, time to get mildly addicted to it. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Luisfe posted:

... There is more than one island in Evil Genius?

Welp, time to get mildly addicted to it. Again.

Yes there is and things get even wackier once you've moved there. EG is an awesome game.