Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
Looks like the CM folks got 4G working on the EVO, but they still need to clean it up a bit (4g icon etc) before including it in a nightly build. Finally true AOSP with 4g!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Looks like the CM folks got 4G working on the EVO, but they still need to clean it up a bit (4g icon etc) before including it in a nightly build. Finally true AOSP with 4g!!

It's been my understanding that they've had it working for a while but that there were significant power drain issues. Do you know if the latter has been resolved, too?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

BunLengthHotDog posted:

:dong::dong::dong:

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

brc64 posted:

It's been my understanding that they've had it working for a while but that there were significant power drain issues. Do you know if the latter has been resolved, too?

Not entirely sure about that...someone posted a speedtest screenshot capture showing 4g speeds with WiFi off...I have not seen that kind of proof in the thread before over at XDA

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sizzlechest posted:

I bit the bullet and updated poor wifey's Mytouch Slide. I got sick of it telling me it was out of memory all the time. Installed Cyanogenmod 6.1.1 and it's like having a new phone. She's going to be pissed that her Angry Birds scores are gone, but at least it's playable now.

Two questions:

1) I didn't do a nandroid backup of the original rom. Did I done goof?
2) AdFree doesn't work. I get a "failed to remove /system/etc/hosts" error. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Is there a one stop shop walkthrough on getting a factory myTouch Slide to the latest CM release? Getting really sick of listening to my girlfriend bitch about how lovely mySense is and how often system processes crash. I know literally nothing about the dev community on this phone and I loathe searching on XDA.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there a one stop shop walkthrough on getting a factory myTouch Slide to the latest CM release? Getting really sick of listening to my girlfriend bitch about how lovely mySense is and how often system processes crash. I know literally nothing about the dev community on this phone and I loathe searching on XDA.

Cyanogen forums. There is an xda link so you don't have to search ;)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a way to unroot the Evo from Unrevoked3? I've been trying for 2 days now using various methods, and none work. It's not just simply "reflash a stock RUU." I get a message "wrong bootloader" or it wont even put the phone into bootloader through the RUU. One of the PC36IMG.ZIP methods gives me the message, "Main is older!" and wont run.

Where can I get a stock RUU in update.zip or PC36IMG.ZIP format?

Fixed it finally. The ROM I had on there wouldn't let the Stock RUU go into bootloader. It let me flash Fresh through the SD card. Then I tried a stock RUU but it said I had the version was older, so I did the 3.30 Stock RUU and it worked. Hooray.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Good news! GB is being pushed to AOSP as we speak. Although this is an interesting note that I haven't seen said on either the ADP1, ADP2 (ION) or N1:

Jean-Baptiste Queru posted:

Even though Nexus S is designed to be suitable for AOSP work, there
are some caveats. I very strongly recommend against trying to use
Nexus S for anything related to AOSP at the moment. Trying to unlock
or use your Nexus S for AOSP work could easily turn it into a Nexus B
(where B means "brick"); I have two of those, they're not very useful.
I'll send some guidelines about what is currently possible once I've
finished pushing the source code.

http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/091172a81604c8a0?pli=1

This reads like Samsung fuckery.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 17, 2010

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

I've gotten really weird results (including missing Market apps) using ROM Manager, and I don't think I'm the only one. It's probably worth manually downloading and re-flashing both the update and the Google apps packages. Maybe even worth trying once without a wipe, but of course you should be ready to do it again with a wipe if that doesn't work out.

That fixed it. I downloaded Cyanogen 6.1.2 + Google Apps, rebooted into Clockwork, did a factory wipe and cache wipe, then installed both from .zip files. Works like a charm and Tweetdeck was the first result of a market search as expected. Thanks!

Is it possible to get Launcher2 back though? ADWLauncher is fine, but I accidentally dragged an icon over the "App Drawer" once and never figured out how to get it back.

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 17, 2010

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Emo Businessman posted:

That fixed it. I downloaded Cyanogen 6.1.2 + Google Apps, rebooted into Clockwork, did a factory wipe and cache wipe, then installed both from .zip files. Works like a charm and Tweetdeck was the first result of a market search as expected. Thanks!

Is it possible to get Launcher2 back though? ADWLauncher is fine, but I accidentally dragged an icon over the "App Drawer" once and never figured out how to get it back.

MoDoCo has the Gingerbread launcher in the market. Appbrain link. That or the LauncherPro is a rewrite of the stock launcher, I believe. It's well received.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Currently it's built off of the stock launcher's code. The rewrite is still in progress.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I just converted last week to Cyanogen on the Evo, and even being in a 4G area its pretty much worth losing 4G for something that is not sense based. There isn't much I miss (mostly because I realize sense is that annoying), although for video streaming the speeds were nice.

Updating today to 6.1.1. If i see anything new i'll let you know.

Phandroid is reporting that xda has gotten WIMAX to work on AOSP ROMs.

Edit: Goddamn additional pages!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Phandroid is reporting that xda has gotten WIMAX to work on AOSP ROMs.

Edit: Goddamn additional pages!

gently caress yes.

Also, the Evo is getting an official update that will be including Swype. Anyone know if Cyanogen will be able to start including Swype as a result?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

gently caress yes.

Also, the Evo is getting an official update that will be including Swype. Anyone know if Cyanogen will be able to start including Swype as a result?

Extremely doubtful.

Just do this.
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/10225-how-to-keep-swype/

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CM6 is now on the MyTouch 4G

CM6 now being on the MyTouch 4G makes it a whole lot more attractive. Espresso Sense, ugh. That useless notification bar has also been integrated into the new Sense UI on the Desire Z and Desire HD.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Godzilla07 posted:

CM6 is now on the MyTouch 4G

CM6 now being on the MyTouch 4G makes it a whole lot more attractive. Espresso Sense, ugh. That useless notification bar has also been integrated into the new Sense UI on the Desire Z and Desire HD.

that would make it the fastest AOSP phone on the market :)

mdy
Nov 7, 2008

<3 tommy
Hey folks, about to flash my first ROM on my Vibrant and I have some really basic and probably stupid questions that I may answer myself.

All of my photos/videos/downloads are saved to the memory on the phone (Vibrant has ~16gb onboard), when I flash to a new ROM, will I lose all of them?

A little while earlier I upgraded to a 4gb microSD from the 2gb that came with the phone, should I move over the DCIM & downloads folder to the SD card temporarily then move them back once I install the ROM? (I would copy them all to my PC HD but I left my USB cable at work)

Thanks for the help guys :)

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

mdy posted:

Hey folks, about to flash my first ROM on my Vibrant and I have some really basic and probably stupid questions that I may answer myself.

All of my photos/videos/downloads are saved to the memory on the phone (Vibrant has ~16gb onboard), when I flash to a new ROM, will I lose all of them?

A little while earlier I upgraded to a 4gb microSD from the 2gb that came with the phone, should I move over the DCIM & downloads folder to the SD card temporarily then move them back once I install the ROM? (I would copy them all to my PC HD but I left my USB cable at work)

Thanks for the help guys :)

It's a good idea to have that stuff backed up anyway, but back in my Vibrant rom flashing days, the ~13GB of onboard storage was untouched when I flashed roms. It acted just like a SD card does on any other phone.

mdy
Nov 7, 2008

<3 tommy

Civil posted:

It's a good idea to have that stuff backed up anyway, but back in my Vibrant rom flashing days, the ~13GB of onboard storage was untouched when I flashed roms. It acted just like a SD card does on any other phone.

Awesome, thanks!

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Some of the 2.2 ROMS have been randomly wiping everything, so back everything up like Civil suggested and pop out the SD card to be on the safe side.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Primworm posted:

You can use Titanium backup to backup all user apps and system data, this will save everything for you, including desktop state. I also have an OG droid and I sometimes run into a blank ADW screen, but only for a few seconds and maybe once a day if I let my phone turn off inside an app. I am overclocked at 1100 Mhz but still controlled by setCPU, so that helps, and while I have a slightly weaker battery, I have a great phone still. I hope this helped!

If I use titanium to backup user apps and system data and restore this when I update to 6.1.2, this won't booger poo poo up will it? I'm going to clean wipe from 6.1.0 RC5 to 6.1.2.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I used this method: http://theunlockr.com/2010/08/16/how-to-root-the-htc-mytouch-slide-exploid-method/

The only issue I had was the update.zip and ESPRIMG.zip files didn't get pushed to the SD card the first time, so I was left with scratching my head when the "Flash the Engineering SPL" part didn't match up. One other confusing part was when it was looking for the ESPRIMG.zip file, there were messages that made it seem the file was missing or signed incorrectly. You need to wait for the blue bar on the top right to fill up and it will continue.

BTW, I solved the adfree issue. Install adfree first and attempt to update the hosts file. After that:

1. adb shell reboot recovery
2. Run clockwork recovery
3. adb shell
4. mount /system

Don't worry if you get an error on steps 5 and 6. It probably means that it's already mounted.)

5. mount /data
6. mount /sdcard
7. cp /sdcard/hosts /data/data/hosts
8. mv /system/etc/hosts /system/etc/hosts.bak
9. ln -s /data/data/hosts /system/etc/hosts

Then reboot.

EDIT: BTW, I noticed the "H" indicator instead of 3G. That doesn't mean I'm really getting 4G on this phone, does it?

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 18, 2010

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
MIUI was neat but definitely moving back to CM after the shitfest I've been dealing with/watching unfold the last few weeks and tonight. The people who handle translation are children and annoying at best. It only compounds the annoying-ness of how MIUI is updated weekly.. with the updates come random bugs which are ignored until the next update where surprise! more updates.

...It's like watching a monkey drink its own piss and slowly kill itself.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sizzlechest posted:

EDIT: BTW, I noticed the "H" indicator instead of 3G. That doesn't mean I'm really getting 4G on this phone, does it?

No. Android idles on UMTS to save power and switches to HSPA during data transfer. Not the same as HSDPA+ or whatever its called. CM is simply showing you what Android did stock behind the scenes.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Looks like supercurio over at xda got Gingerbread booting on his Captivate already. Said in about a day or so he'll have a method for others to put it onto their Galaxy S phones.

I knew I got this POS for a reason :)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Its just going to be a lovely sdk build where most things don't work.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No. Android idles on UMTS to save power and switches to HSPA during data transfer. Not the same as HSDPA+ or whatever its called. CM is simply showing you what Android did stock behind the scenes.

Hsdpa is what the h means. Hspa+ is tmobiles "4g."

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I don't know about the drama, but miui on my g2 is bliss. This is really nice.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

big mean giraffe posted:

Its just going to be a lovely sdk build where most things don't work.

It's not an SDK build.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

quadratic posted:

It's not an SDK build.

To clarify, he's building a kernel from the Nexus S source with modifications to get it running on SGS.

He posted a video of it booting up a stock Nexus S ROM dump.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
so what'w the difference between a kernel and a ROM? Also tell me why a few amateur programmers can get 2.3 ported to phones but big companies full of professionals can't do it?

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
I have a TMobile Vibrant I use on AT&T and while traveling. I got it running smoothly with the original ROM (and GPS finally showing me as being in the same state). I've been waiting to go to 2.2 until T-Mobile releases a 2.2 version for the community to work with, but with them promising it a few weeks ago and the Canada one rolling back, I figured I should just go with what is out there.

XDA has like 30 2.2 Vibrant roms. Which one is recommended for stability and GPS still working?

Side note: G1 with the new radio + 2.2 is so sweet.

b0nes posted:

Also tell me why a few amateur programmers can get 2.3 ported to phones but big companies full of professionals can't do it?
If your XDA ROM crashes a couple of times and requires you to wipe your data, you are ok with it. If your OTA update so much as makes the browser sometimes crash, you'll call them up to bitch and try to get a replacement phone.

Mine GO BOOM fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 18, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

Extremely doubtful.

Just do this.
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/10225-how-to-keep-swype/

Cool. I'm already on Cyanogen, can i do that with a stock evo and then swap it to mine?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Duckman2008 posted:

Cool. I'm already on Cyanogen, can i do that with a stock evo and then swap it to mine?

From what I understand, you should be able to pull those files from any stock Evo and put them on yours.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

Hsdpa is what the h means. Hspa+ is tmobiles "4g."

I always get those 2 mixed up.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

b0nes posted:

so what'w the difference between a kernel and a ROM? Also tell me why a few amateur programmers can get 2.3 ported to phones but big companies full of professionals can't do it?

From what I understand: the system's hardware talks to the kernel, and the kernel talks to the ROM. It manages the systems resources. Most custom kernels are designed to improve on how those resources are managed, ie by scaling CPU when possible to save battery life.

Amateur programmers are usually professional programmers from other companies or industries. They don't have any business infrastructure and have a relationship with users that doesn't require them to releasing it in a 'perfect' form. Bazaar > Cathedral, yo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

b0nes posted:

The kernel is Linux. A ROM contains Android which is a whole other layer on top of Linux as well as whatever apps the ROM creator packaged.

I would guess that the reason it seems like amateurs are able to get 2.3 on a device much easier than the "pros" is because the "pros" have all kinds of tests and edge cases that the phone has to meet, whereas the amateurs just have to make it run, and they do that with varying degrees of effectiveness.

I say all this with little experience in the rooted Android community, and a poo poo ton of experience in the WinMo ROM community, and as a software developer. So that means I'm giving you an educated guess.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What Thermopyle said, even as amazing as it is Cyanogenmod is bound to have one or two hiccups eventually that consumers aren't usually willing to put up with (although CM6 is probably more stable and reliable than anything on the Moment, or phones like the Eris which had tons of issues with 2.1.)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I always get those 2 mixed up.

Yeah it's a really stupid rear end naming scheme. Just remember, + means better.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 18, 2010

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Mine GO BOOM posted:

XDA has like 30 2.2 Vibrant roms. Which one is recommended for stability and GPS still working?

I've been running a leaked stock 2.2 for a while. The latest one is JL4 and it seems to be pretty solid.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
How do I know if I'm running the latest version of the radio and when is it a good idea to upgrade it? (All I really know about the radio upgrade is that if you gently caress it up, you can brick your phone.)

EDIT: BTW, when I was googling for info, I found this: http://newbestgadget.com/cell-phone/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide-android-smartphone-review-and-spec

quote:

The myTouch 3G Slide’s radio is capable of theoretical 7.2 Mbps downloads and supports T-Mobile’s 21 Mbps HSPA+ network — currently implemented in Philadelphia, parts of Las Vegas, New York City, New Jersey, Long Island, and Washington, D.C.

The article was written in May, so I doubt it's accurate. But still...

EDIT 2: Is this normal 3G speed?

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

yamdankee posted:

I've decided that Rom Manager hates me.

I've tried installing Clockwork Mod through ROM Manager on this MyTouch 3G 3 times, and it keeps booting to the triangle with an exclamation point every time. So I can't install a custom ROM with it. Any advice?

Rom Manager is a pain in the dick a lot of times and you're better off just sideloading the ROM and booting to recovery yourself.

I especially had problems with Rom Manager trashing my clockwork mod install.