Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

codyclarke posted:

Can someone recommend me good movies with deaf characters? I have to watch as many as I can as research for a project. I watched Children of a Lesser God, and it had its moments, but mostly it was a chore. I'm looking for some with a more engaging story and better script, like In The Company Of Men.

The only two I've seen that come to mind are Mr. Holland's Opus and There Will Be Blood.

Oh, and The Miracle Worker, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CheckedNoMate posted:

Hey, can anyone recommend me a crime film in which the protagonist has to balance 'the job' with family, and the emphasis is on this clash of worlds? Something like The Sopranos, really.
Sopranos meets Coronation Street:
Down Terrace.

There is some humour but contrary to the IMDB listing it's not a comedy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skribblez posted:

This might be too specific, but can anybody recommend some horror movies that take place in American city slums? I watched Candyman recently, and the setting was creepier than any cave/forest/haunted house I've ever seen.

I've already seen Leprechaun in the Hood, by the way.

William Lustig's Maniac is the first one that comes to mind. It's like a really ultraviolent, sleazy, slasher movie version of Taxi Driver. I remember really liking some parts of it, but it really made me want to take a shower afterwards and I've never had any desire to see it again. At the very least, it has the most nauseatingly convincing makeup effects of Tom Savini's entire career, and if you know Tom Savini, you know that's saying something.

Joke suggestion: Jason Takes Manhattan.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Can anybody recommend me films set in the 1600-1800's focusing on the high seas? Basically pirates, colonial ships, swashbuckling, tropical islands, Caribbean, adventure etc. Something like Master and Commander and to a lesser extent the Pirates of the Caribbean films (though I only really liked the first one). I've been mesmerised by this setting since reading Treasure Island as a child so any film recommendation will be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I've got a bunch of recommendations on my to watch list, I'll probably need a few weeks to get through them all. Thanks for the awesome responses!

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 9, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SparkTR posted:

Can anybody recommend me films set in the 1600-1800's focusing on the high seas? Basically pirates, colonial ships, swashbuckling, tropical islands, Caribbean, adventure etc. Something like Master and Commander and to a lesser extent the Pirates of the Caribbean films (though I only really liked the first one). I've been mesmerised by this setting since reading Treasure Island as a child so any film recommendation will be appreciated. Thanks.

Swiss Family Robinson was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I don't think it's all that great these days (it's a bit cheesy and some of the acting is terrible) but it certainly fits the bill and it's fun to watch every once in a while.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SparkTR posted:

Captain Blood, with Errol Flynn.

The Black Pirate with Douglas Fairbanks is silent and has some great stuntwork.

It takes place in a later period but Edward G. Robinson is incredible as a vicious captain in The Sea Wolf.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SparkTR posted:

While it's not really the same thing, you might enjoy Captains Courageous.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've only ever listened to the radio series, but there's both a television and a film adaptation of Horatio Hornblower, the film version starring Gregory Peck. It takes place in the early 1800s, but it's fairly close to what you want; not as much swashbuckling, more intense naval combat, though. Very similar to Master and Commander.

e: Here is a fan-made trailer that makes the TV series look pretty drat good.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Binary Logic posted:

Captain Blood, with Errol Flynn.

Seconding this. Mutiny on the Bounty is another one that pops immediately to mind, and if you don't mind an rear end in a top hat protagonist, or just like the idea of Tyrone Power in technicolor, Black Swan (1942) isn't bad.

Drizzle 34
Jul 16, 2007
I really liked Lord of War with nicholas cage. Something about the criminal retelling his tale with a lack of moral regard. Like Goodfellas or Blow, but I'm looking for something with a similar 'feel' to Lord of War.

I could also go for anything that has a world or setting with really well developed or interesting 'character'. There will be blood, Blade runner, and Gangs of New York seem like good examples to cite. They seem to explore their worlds not just visually but with depth. A counterexample is Sherlock Holmes (2009). I liked it, but it just seems like it squandered a huge opportunity to explore victorian london.

Specifically, I'd really like something that explores victorian london like gangs of new york explores civil-war new york. Sweeney Todd was cool visually, but otherwise not what I'm looking for.

I've also recently enjoyed:
Brick
pirates 1
se7en
children of men

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SparkTR posted:

Just to reiterate my earlier idea, after watching some of the Horatio Hornblower TV Series, it's exactly what you want if you liked Master and Commander.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

feedmyleg posted:

Just to reiterate my earlier idea, after watching some of the Horatio Hornblower TV Series, it's exactly what you want if you liked Master and Commander.

Also, the Sharpe's series with Sean Bean. Takes place during the Napoleonic wars. There's more ground-based action than naval warfare in it, but it's still a really great series for people into that sort of stuff.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 9, 2010

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah dating and relationships were totally loving stupid until 1995.

No, its just that recent relationship movies involve people around my age and its easier to relate to.

What are some good depressing movies?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

drat NIGGA posted:

Observe and Report.

Technically billed as a comedy, but personally I find it more depressing than most actual tearjerkers.

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009
I'm looking for movies where huge animals are tha antagonists.
Jaws, Anaconda and the more recent Primeval are good examples.

Preferably not B-movies, but I know that might be asking a bit much.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

drat NIGGA posted:

No, its just that recent relationship movies involve people around my age and its easier to relate to.

Eden Lake. It might also fulfill your need for relationships and people around your age.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Mock the Cross posted:

The Edge features a huge grizzly bear stalking Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins.

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE
Jul 9, 2010

Mock the Cross posted:

I think the crocodile in Rogue was larger than average.

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 10, 2010

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Mock the Cross posted:

King Kong?

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE posted:

This is a great recommendation! I had to turn the trailer of because I didn't want any of the juicy scenes spoiled for me.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

There is also lake placid!

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
What are some movies like The Da Vinci's Code & National Treasure 1 + 2? Like modern treasure hunts.

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009

I just watched it, and thanks again! It was great! Sure, it was a little cheesy and the special effects weren't always perfect, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm thinking listen to this guy!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JohnnyDavidson posted:

What are some movies like The Da Vinci's Code & National Treasure 1 + 2? Like modern treasure hunts.
They're cheesy, but the three made-for-TNT Librarian movies, starring Noah Wyle, are great Indiana Jones-style adventure movies with lots of legendary treasures to be found. The Librarian: Quest for the Spear is the first one. I love them, but I am also a librarian.

And on that note, The Mummy is a great adventure movie too (and co-stars Rachel Weisz as a sexy, heroic librarian). It feels like more of a spiritual successor to the first three Indiana Jones movies than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did. The Mummy Returns is okay, but the first one is awesome. I've never seen the third one. (These are '30s/'40s period pieces, though, unlike the Librarian movies, which take place in modern times.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 10, 2010

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Recommend me a movie that has a witty, eloquent, opinionated protagonist like American Psycho, Naked, Falling Down, Denis Leary's character in Suicide Kings, etc.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

JohnnyDavidson posted:

I can't think of a whole lot of movies that involve the super sleuthing of secret codes the way Da Vinci and National Treasure do (except maybe Indiana Jones, but I'll take for granted that you've seen them).

If you're capable of turning off the serious part of your brain, and just enjoying a fun movie about people looking for treasure and generally having crazy adventures, there are a few I kind of liked (some are definitely better than others, but I find them all mostly enjoyable) that fit the general idea of treasure hunting:

I have to mention one of my all-time favorites. It isn't exactly treasure hunting, but it is adventure and involves the thefts of treasures. You may like it or not, but I can't help myself. One of my favorite Bruce Willis movies ever is Hudson Hawk.
Fool's Gold (probably one of my recent favorites)
Sahara (More Matt McConaughey, looking for opportunities to lose his shirt :v: )
Into the Blue (Paul Walker gets a lot of crap, but I sort of liked this one)
Romancing the Stone (older Michael Douglas/Danny Devito flick)
The Goonies (an obvious one, but I've run into a lot of people my age recently who've never seen it)
Cutthroat Island (the trailer doesn't really do this older one justice. It was pretty underrated in my opinion)
Without a Paddle (the previews didn't really bill it as a treasure hunting thing, but it is)

edit: Also, I know it isn't a movie, but if you have a PS3, I cannot recommend the Uncharted games highly enough. They are like playing a really well-written adventure/treasure-hunting movie. Great voice actors and snappy dialogue. Fantastic games.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 13, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

JohnnyDavidson posted:

There was a special 2 part episode of MacGuyver about searching for the Holy Grail that was pretty good :3: It's watchable online:

Part 1
http://www.cbs.com/classics/macgyver/video/?pid=XJSJwLyaVfjfaH4JzZA3cJXxy_qWNR9x

Part 2
http://www.cbs.com/classics/macgyver/video/?pid=C9b9sn7T1SQlyMVEfR5QW3iniQcId2_z

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Disharmony posted:

Recommend me a movie that has a witty, eloquent, opinionated protagonist like American Psycho, Naked, Falling Down, Denis Leary's character in Suicide Kings, etc.
Love and Death? How about

Alfie with Michael Caine.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'm looking for a great modern Western. I've never been a big fan of the genre but I'm trying to get into it and The Proposition was fantastic. I've watched many older ones so I'm looking for something from the last 10-15 years preferably. I'm thinking The Assassination of Jesse James but if anybody more well versed than myself (most people, I imagine) in the genre can throw up anything left field or confirm that's a perfect choice I'm going to go and buy it tomorrow.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

PTizzle posted:

I'm looking for a great modern Western. I've never been a big fan of the genre but I'm trying to get into it and The Proposition was fantastic. I've watched many older ones so I'm looking for something from the last 10-15 years preferably. I'm thinking The Assassination of Jesse James but if anybody more well versed than myself (most people, I imagine) in the genre can throw up anything left field or confirm that's a perfect choice I'm going to go and buy it tomorrow.

Unforgiven - (don't read the plot outline).

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

PTizzle posted:

Deadwood, the HBO TV series. It's out as a disc set.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Underflow posted:

Unforgiven - (don't read the plot outline).

This and Deadwood are both great. I personally really, really liked Tombstone (Kurt Russell made a way better Wyatt Earp than Kevin Costner). The Quick and the Dead (Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe) is also one of my favorites, even if it's a little cheesy in places. A few other recent favorites have been 3:10 To Yuma (the new one with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale), Appaloosa (with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen), Open Range (Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall), and, as silly a movie as it is, I can't help but love Maverick (Mel Gibson, James Garner) :3:

Jadz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 14, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Jadz posted:

This and Deadwood are both great. I personally really, really liked Tombstone (Kurt Russell made a way better Wyatt Earp than Kevin Costner). The Quick and the Dead (Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe) is also one of my favorites, even if it's a little cheesy in places. A few other recent favorites have been 3:10 To Yuma (the new one with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale), Appaloosa (with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen), Open Range (Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall), and, as silly a movie as it is, I can't help but love Maverick (Mel Gibson, James Garner) :3:

Ah yeah, Harris is amazing in Appaloosa. Tombstone's a better film than Earp indeed. Or perhaps the latter just suffered from Costnerism in general. Also, though older: The Shooting and Ride In The Whirlwind are great non-conventional westerns.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
You could also have a look at Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man". One of my favorite movies with Depp, it has an AMAZING soundtrack by Neal Young and it is...different. Since you liked the proposition you will probably like this too.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
What are some movies where we get to see intelligent people solving problems? Kind of like seeing geniuses at work. I'm thinking along the lines of Goodnight and Good Luck, Quiz Show or Wag The Dog.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

oceanside posted:

What are some movies where we get to see intelligent people solving problems? Kind of like seeing geniuses at work. I'm thinking along the lines of Goodnight and Good Luck, Quiz Show or Wag The Dog.

All The President's Men is a classic along these lines.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

oceanside posted:

Aaron Sorkin's TV show The West Wing would be perfect for this. Also Apollo 13, with the scenes in Mission Control with Ed Harris. For much lighter fare, Iron Man actually has a lot of great engineering scenes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

oceanside posted:

All The President's Men is a classic along these lines.
Redford specializes in that type of role. Sneakers and Spy Game for instance. The Last Castle has him trying to out-think a sadistic prison warden played by James Gandolfini.

Edit: Don't watch the trailer it gives away too much of the plot.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 19, 2010

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Loooong post incoming:

Skribblez posted:

This might be too specific, but can anybody recommend some horror movies that take place in American city slums? I watched Candyman recently, and the setting was creepier than any cave/forest/haunted house I've ever seen.

I've already seen Leprechaun in the Hood, by the way.

Tales From The Hood, it sounds bad but is actually quite awesome. It was produced by Spike Lee back when he still was cool and features a some vignettes in a series that all tie together at the end. Don't read to far into it on Wiki or anything because it has a twist ending (assuming you care about that)

Drizzle 34 posted:

I really liked Lord of War with nicholas cage. Something about the criminal retelling his tale with a lack of moral regard. Like Goodfellas or Blow, but I'm looking for something with a similar 'feel' to Lord of War.

I could also go for anything that has a world or setting with really well developed or interesting 'character'. There will be blood, Blade runner, and Gangs of New York seem like good examples to cite. They seem to explore their worlds not just visually but with depth. A counterexample is Sherlock Holmes (2009). I liked it, but it just seems like it squandered a huge opportunity to explore victorian london.

Specifically, I'd really like something that explores victorian london like gangs of new york explores civil-war new york. Sweeney Todd was cool visually, but otherwise not what I'm looking for.

I've also recently enjoyed:
Brick
pirates 1
se7en
children of men
Domino, the only film that I really like Kira Knightly in. Her and Mickey Rourke's characters are both great, plus it has a mid movie appearance by Tom Waits as Satan (he gives them a lift).

drat NIGGA posted:

There is a Japanese director who has been offhandedly referred to as "the next Miyazaki" and while that might not be entirely accurate his movies are quite good. The one that will probably interest you the most is 5 Centimeters Per Second although The Place Promised Us In Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star are also good. The last one is impressive if not only for the fact that its a professional quality piece of animation he basically made by himself in a basement.

Fonzarelli posted:

Does anybody know any horror movies that focus on like, a dark occult underbelly of the world? Where its set in the normal world, but there's a lot of darkness going on underneath. I recently watched Lord of Illusions and completely loved it, and I suppose Hellraiser is almost in the same vein. So is Midnight Meat Train. Clive Barker seems to be the common denominator between those movies, so anything with similar themes that he uses.
Angel Heart stars Mickey Rourke as a private eye who has to infiltrate the occult world in order to track down a runaway soul for Satan (or is it?). Nightwatch is a Russian movie about the forces of light and darkness fighting over modern day Moscow. The TV Show Carnivale might also be up your alley.

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm aching to see movies about the 60s and 70s (maybe even 80s) rock n' roll scene. The only ones I've watched so far are Almost Famous (which I loathed) and This Is Spinal Tap. Are the two Wayne's World movies worth watching? What other films would you guys recommend? Also, if you happen to know any great documentaries about the music scene in general, not just specific bands, I'd be glad to hear of them. So far I've seen Woodstock: Three Days of Peace & Music and Festival Express. :guitar:
Rock N Roll Highschool was a movie made in the late 70's rock scene, by people who were into the late 70's rock scene and features a legion of extras from the late 70's rock scene. It's super low budget, it has very little plot, it's sort of bizzare and it has lots of bad jokes, but it's a very enjoyable movie. Get the DvD and watch it with the commentary on to learn about all the wacky hijinks the crew went through making the thing (all the crew members are in the movie at some point).

Also Detroit Rock City, a movie about some kids who want to go see Kiss. A lot of stuff happens in between their town and Detroit but that's sort of the whole point. It was very much made by people who grew up in that time period and goes above and beyond in order to evoke it. It's sort of like a 70's rock version of a Fairy Tale or a Fable. It doesn't really adhere to logic, but does so intentionally because it wouldn't be fun if it did.

Adus posted:

I'm looking for Horrors or Thrillers with a lot of atmosphere.
Near Dark and Nightwatch. Both are about Vampires (the second is more about evil wizards), both are gritty and dark with a sense of oppressive desolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

oceanside posted:

Apollo 13. I haven't seen it in forever but that has both intelligent people and one really big problem.

EDIT: I can't read. But seconding it.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 20, 2010

• Locked thread