Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That's it. I'm moving to New Zealand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I lived in NZ all my life up until March this year, but mostly in the city.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

RazalasSol posted:

Maybe it's because I live in rural Kansas and see this sort of thing all the time, but this photo just doesn't do it for me. I see a field and a barbed wire fence, but I don't see anything remarkable about either of those things.

I think this kind of subject material might work better from some sort of perspective that you wouldn't see just sitting in a car on a highway, or perhaps with some spectacular light or something. I realize this sounds harsh, and I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to give you some feedback here.

Naw its cool.

I was down in Florida visiting family. Up here in VA, there is nothing really close by that is nice and 'rural' like that. Nothing but city here.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I went to Scotland in September, but I didn't get round to sorting and processing most of my shots until now because of Fallout: New Vegas

Glen Coe

I saw that photo first when I opened the thread and just thought "Scotland" as soon as I saw it, great shot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lando posted:

Naw its cool.

I was down in Florida visiting family. Up here in VA, there is nothing really close by that is nice and 'rural' like that. Nothing but city here.

C'mon. Where in VA are you that you're not more than 10 minutes from farmland?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

77mm CPL's are gently caress-you expensive 8(

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

evil_bunnY posted:

That and I don't think they are that effective on a super wide angle lens.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

evil_bunnY posted:

Apparently the effect will be mixed when you're wider than 28mm (18mm on a crop sensor), but FF lenses like the 24-70 F/2.8 also take 77mm filters. TheMarumi Super DHG is only $73 which, for photography stuff isn't too terrible. I've purchased from this seller on multiple occasions with good results.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
This thread really makes me hate living where I am.

Nice pictures everyone. :sigh:

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Clouds!

Excuse the black lines

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That water is gently caress-you good. Maybe work a bit more contrast in the distant coast and skies?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

tapper's cove #5 by scottch, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Trees of the valley in late fall.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Trees of the valley in late fall.

Very good Reichstag.

wh1te
Jun 7, 2004

I am kind of new to this photography thing. But here are my best attempts so far with my lovely Samsung S850 point and shoot.

Foggy Sunrise by NeuroticBlender, on Flickr

Rocks by NeuroticBlender, on Flickr

So tips for a landscape photography beginner?

wh1te fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 16, 2010

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The misty one looks pretty sweet, just from a mood standpoint. I like the bands of color.

But neither of the pictures are straight.. the phone poles are leaning, and the ocean has a slope.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Reichstag posted:

If this was taken with a homemade pinhole camera- congrats! Otherwise, why would you intentionally create low quality photos ? I don't get it.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Cross_ posted:

If this was taken with a homemade pinhole camera- congrats! Otherwise, why would you intentionally create low quality photos ? I don't get it.

It's "cool" and "hip". Just say it's amazing or something.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
A couple more from Scotland:

Near Gruinard River, Ross-shire.

A puddle somewhere around Yesnaby, Orkney.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Cross_ posted:

Because it's cool and hip.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
rocks + water + sun

Im Leaving You by Daniel Fenner, on Flickr

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Sebastian Flyte posted:

A couple more from Scotland:

Near Gruinard River, Ross-shire.

A puddle somewhere around Yesnaby, Orkney.

Hot drat, both incredible.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Reichstag posted:

I don't know what it is about this one, but it's stuck with me for days. It's almost like the Platonic version of a evergreen or something.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

These are the first two that i'm actually proud of so go easy.

Took these two in the Smokey Mountains. One is from the upper parking area for Clingmans Dome observatory, looking back into the valley at the smoke, in early morning. The second was shot an hour or so later from the observation deck at the peak.

Would love to get some tips. Shot with a D90 & Nikkor 18-105mm walk-about lense. Hopefully getting the 70-300mm lense & a tripod for christmas!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I heard you guys like rocks here.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 26, 2010

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I like trees.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Just got back home, starting to go through photos from the past week or so.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I like trees.

I like this picture. :)

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
Went to Hawaii with a bag full of cameras. One of them was a Hasselblad, and I accidentally brought my 150mm Sonnar instead of my 50mm Distagon. I ended up using it for this shot on Ektar 100:

Waikoloa Palm at Sunset by cmmatt, on Flickr

I've been goofing around with the colors all week and am printing an ultra-saturated version of it as well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I am Very Original

Bell Rock by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

E: one more for now, 1920px wide version available on flickr

Coconino National Forest by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 4, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Dread Head posted:

I like the spot lighting in the background. Looks like you put a few dozen strobes there.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Cross_ posted:

I like the spot lighting in the background. Looks like you put a few dozen strobes there.

I assumed that was just the sun cutting through the trees and that this was only natural light.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

This is going to sound tacky but reading through Adams' three books again helped me refocus on landscapes. Zone system for life.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

macx posted:

I assumed that was just the sun cutting through the trees and that this was only natural light.

This the river goes like:

code:
SUN ------
         |    -------- 
         Falls
The sun was shinning down along the river so the light is coming from the left hand side and going into the trees.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

macx posted:

I was kidding- of course it's natural light, but because it's so localized it reminds me of artificial lighting. (Though perhaps Dread Head does carry a dozen strobes around on his hikes, you never know)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Some shots from Whistler/Blackcomb.

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007
Here are some rocks in Kansas.

Castle Rock 1 by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

Castle Rock 2 by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those are both awesome. Especially the second.