Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm going to mention again that whoever decided to put the construction images at an unreadable resolution is a loving twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

So much awesome art! Picking my top 5's was tough, except for one.

Picking number one is easy
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/finals_polycount_3d_4282.html

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Boobs and high heels. :shepface:

That's a pretty awesome model though.

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
Its very generic in a way Eastern Europeans only seem capable of but in saying that it's a drat good as heck model.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Jesus christ how fast can things turn, every studio is hiring like gangbusters now.

Hmmmmmmm.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
Hey don't forget to head over to 3dtotal's page and give me some voting love :dance:

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I've been wrestling with this for a few weeks now and I can explain how to set up DBR or backburner if you need. Which one are you planning using? You're using MR right? Here's a good tutorial I used to set up DBR. Backburner is more difficult.

Anyway, if you need help you can shoot me a PM or email omicron91 at gmail dot cawm.

Thanks man :) I don't have PMs but I sent ya an email.

Kingsbury
Mar 28, 2010

by angerbot

Fearian posted:

So much awesome art! Picking my top 5's was tough, except for one.

Picking number one is easy
http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/finals_polycount_3d_4282.html

enginedriver posted:

Its very generic in a way Eastern Europeans only seem capable of but in saying that it's a drat good as heck model.

Kingsbury fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 18, 2010

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kingsbury posted:

She's just as digital as Bogdan's model.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mutata posted:

She's just as digital as Bogdan's model.

Seriously I think at least 3 women went into the making of that body

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I'm new to 3d modeling and Maya. After using the software for a few months I'm happy with what i've made for my class. I'm really enjoying the process of making a short animation and I know that with more practice I can get it down.

Here is what I've made for my beginner 3d modeling class. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O17hMw-y88o

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how to achieve a line art appearance to renders in XSI? I know very little about rendering, any help would be greatly appreciated.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I don't use XSI but this looks about right, if that's what you mean by line art

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-2264.html

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

SVU Fan posted:

I don't use XSI but this looks about right, if that's what you mean by line art

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-2264.html

Thanks, that's put me on the right track- except I can't seem to figure out how to connect the toon_ink_lens node to the camera node; it just won't attach.

edit- figured out how to attach.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 20, 2010

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Didnt have anything to do today, so I set myself a modeling test because i'm not quick enough.

About 6 hours, but 1 of those were spent on the top of the columns which i've not shown as I hosed them up good & proper.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Geared Hub posted:

Jesus christ how fast can things turn, every studio is hiring like gangbusters now.

Hmmmmmmm.

Isn't Dneg STILL hiring for the massive show that is John Carter of Mars?

I know LA is gonna start getting pretty busy next year, finally, even though I'm gonna booked for at least half the year :waycool:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ratmann posted:

I know LA is gonna start getting pretty busy next year, finally, even though I'm gonna booked for at least half the year :waycool:

Vancouver also is getting mucho busy. MPC, CIS and DD at least. MPC is hiring for pretty much everything at the moment.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

Vancouver also is getting mucho busy. MPC, CIS and DD at least. MPC is hiring for pretty much everything at the moment.

Imageworks needs to hire 80 animators for Green Lantern/Smurfs. Send your reels people.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hello goons.

Like I've previously mentioned, I write a little tool that can bake out ambient occlusion and normal maps given a lo/hi poly model. In the new version it will be even more stupidly easy to use than it already is, and it will support diffuse maps and cavity maps too. I want to make a video and put some screenshots on the website that shows how stupid easy it is to do all with just a couple clicks this but being just a programmer/technical artist I don't have any neat looking models with all of the requirements. So I wonder if anybody can help me? I need a model that:

* Looks loving good, something at this level would be nice
* Has a low poly game-resolution version with full UV's
* Has a high resolution version with:
** lots of neat details
** colors on it that can be baked to a diffuse map

Now I know all you pros have some half million quad models sitting around from all that zbrush work you do, would anybody like to lend a hand? Send me a PM if you are interested. If I like your model I might use it in a video to promote my tool.

(Which by the way is SMAK shameless plug alert)

Vino fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 23, 2010

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Whelp, looks like CafeFX is shutting down completely this time.

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art
I recently started getting back into moddelling/animation, but I'm having some really big problems with blender : I can't loving unwrap poo poo.
I've looked through all the tutorials I could find, but nearly every single one pertains to unwrapping a box or cylinder. Not very helpful.

I made this thing for a short space battle-type animation:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

But I'm not really quite sure how to unwrap it. Tips and or tricks from you guys would be appreciated!

Oh, and also all the detail parts are seperate from the main hull and are their own models for ease of future unwrapping and such

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

-A n i m 8- posted:

Imageworks needs to hire 80 animators for Green Lantern/Smurfs. Send your reels people.

Woot. I will do that.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Foran posted:

I recently started getting back into moddelling/animation, but I'm having some really big problems with blender : I can't loving unwrap poo poo.
I've looked through all the tutorials I could find, but nearly every single one pertains to unwrapping a box or cylinder. Not very helpful.

I made this thing for a short space battle-type animation:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

But I'm not really quite sure how to unwrap it. Tips and or tricks from you guys would be appreciated!

Oh, and also all the detail parts are seperate from the main hull and are their own models for ease of future unwrapping and such

Looks like lots of Planar Mapping and Move and Sewing needs to be done. No idea what they call those two things in Blender. Also it's a good idea to UV one object that is repetitive and then just duplicate it so it retains the UVs, or transfer the UVs between identical objects if Blender has that.

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art

ceebee posted:

Looks like lots of Planar Mapping and Move and Sewing needs to be done. No idea what they call those two things in Blender. Also it's a good idea to UV one object that is repetitive and then just duplicate it so it retains the UVs, or transfer the UVs between identical objects if Blender has that.

From what I've read of the manual, blender can transfer UV's between identical objects, so that's good. I'm not so sure about "Move and Sewing" though, so I will look that up. Thanks!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Foran posted:

From what I've read of the manual, blender can transfer UV's between identical objects, so that's good. I'm not so sure about "Move and Sewing" though, so I will look that up. Thanks!

Moving and Sewing is just a term used for connecting the UV islands to each other. To prevent a ton of seams it's a good idea to put them wherever is least visible. Cutting/sewing edges is a good way to reroute your seams.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ratmann posted:

It's crazy man, recruiters are cold calling TD's at their desks here.

I talked to a few folks in LA already, its picking up loving fast starting in a few weeks.

All the Majors are hiring now, DD, ILM, Sony, R+H, Dreamworks starting for Jan work.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 25, 2010

Yasha From Russia
Apr 6, 2006
with a thousand words say but one
Anyone know if there is a Maya script (or a stand alone program) that could count the number of hours Maya is open and is maximized?
Im really interested in finding out exactly how many hours a day i spend working and how many hours i spend slacking off.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Foran posted:

I saw a youtube tutorial on unwrapping that used a box to show how it could be done (cutting, then switching to the UV mapping window or something?) but I would imagine that the same could be done with complex models.

Edit: Blender 2.5 Beta, not 2.49

Lurian
May 25, 2010
This thread has definitely gotten me pumped for my 3D Animation 2 class coming up in a few weeks. It's entirely in Cinema 4D. The previous class was just creating static, non-moving objects, so I look forward to getting into the actual bone structure of stuff.

I'll probably be spending a good bit of time getting opinions in here soon.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I find it kind of odd when a school is teaching anything other than Max or Maya. Cinema 4D is o.k. but the only thing I've seen it used for was 3D motion graphics stuff.

Lurian
May 25, 2010

ceebee posted:

I find it kind of odd when a school is teaching anything other than Max or Maya. Cinema 4D is o.k. but the only thing I've seen it used for was 3D motion graphics stuff.

It's kind of lucky to find some schools even teaching Cinema 4D honestly. Maya accounts are much more expensive than C4D, so it most likely comes down to "What programs are used today, and how expensive are the licenses."

As a student though, it's nice that Autodesk was handing out free 3-year watermarked licenses to students. I've definitely taken what I've learned in C4D and transfered some stuff to Maya.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lurian posted:

It's kind of lucky to find some schools even teaching Cinema 4D honestly. Maya accounts are much more expensive than C4D, so it most likely comes down to "What programs are used today, and how expensive are the licenses."

As a student though, it's nice that Autodesk was handing out free 3-year watermarked licenses to students. I've definitely taken what I've learned in C4D and transfered some stuff to Maya.

Where you go to school?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys,

I'm rendering a scene with iray through backburner, but when the job starts, it returns an error that it can't find a map file. But it doesn't show up in Asset Tracking. What gives?

Is there any other way to check for missing maps that might not show up in asset tracking?

International Log fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 27, 2010

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
No - i've had that issue before.

An object was merged in with a material that had a raytrace map with a non existent hdri linked which was turned off. Didnt show in asset tracking, didnt show an error when the scene was opened but wouldnt render on the farm.

Have you merged a lot of objects in? Same them out, try a render - delete half, try a render, etc. Keep going until theres only a few objects to check, then go through the materials.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Had that happen to us a few times, too, and we solved it the same way. I'm sure there's better way, but at the time it was the most straightforward fix.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

Hey guys, this is a quick low setting test render for my first short I was working on. I'm having loads of trouble though, to me it looks like a bunch of miniature toys or models, rather than a grandiose spooky mansion.

Is it the modeling, texturing, lighting, what? It's been bugging me a bunch. I'm redoing it from the ground up, so any tips would be very appreciated. Also, it's running around 600,000 polys right now, is that absurd? I'm using Vray also, if it makes any difference.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SVU Fan posted:

Hey guys, this is a quick low setting test render for my first short I was working on. I'm having loads of trouble though, to me it looks like a bunch of miniature toys or models, rather than a grandiose spooky mansion.

Is it the modeling, texturing, lighting, what? It's been bugging me a bunch. I'm redoing it from the ground up, so any tips would be very appreciated. Also, it's running around 600,000 polys right now, is that absurd? I'm using Vray also, if it makes any difference.

Dunno if it would help or not, but I'd lower the camera to a more human-like height (5 foot or so perhaps), rather than what it seems to be now (20 foot?). I think that is a big factor in making it all look a bit small.

Maybe also mess with a wider lens for the camera, where it begins to distort just a tiny bit. If that makes sense. :confused:

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
Looks like an issue with the camera placement to me. Putting the camera 15ft in the air in the middle of a room will make anywhere look small.

Put the camera at head height or lower and use a wider lens.

E: too slooow.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

Haha I didn't realize it was such a dumb problem with an easy fix, thanks for the help guys :)

Another question about the same setting..I want a much more ominous tone to the scene, I looked around google a million time about good mood lighting but couldn't find any proper Maya tutorials on the subject using Vray. I tried adding adding various blue or purple-ish tinted lights, but it just ended up looking like a lovely nightclub. Any tips, or even just texts I should look up?

vvvv Ahhhh the drat stairs. I guess I need to practice modeling things to scale better!

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Also not sure if this helps or not, but here ya go:

I wouldn't worry about lighting for now, candles make everything ominous and creepy. Just wait and add them later. ;)

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 29, 2010