Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dectilon posted:

Man, if bards actually played like this no one would ever play a mage ever again.

4e bards get a move called 'Vicious Mockery' that does damage by making fun of the enemy, and it also gives -2 to attack.

So yeah it's not exactly 'rock so hard their face flies off' but they're getting there and are no longer the crummy little rogue-wanna-bes that can also buff the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

John Dyne posted:

4e bards get a move called 'Vicious Mockery' that does damage by making fun of the enemy, and it also gives -2 to attack.

So yeah it's not exactly 'rock so hard their face flies off' but they're getting there and are no longer the crummy little rogue-wanna-bes that can also buff the party.

Well at that point you just have to change the name of the move for the same effects. There's no reason your couldn't associate the various buffs and songs a bard gets with a vicious, shreadable guitar solo. Role Play that poo poo out, more fun that way!

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

Dollar bills and MacDonald's coupons instead of candy sounds like a pretty sweet deal me I gotta say. Also my Swedish heart weeps from beauty over the name of that bard.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dectilon posted:

Man, if bards actually played like this no one would ever play a mage ever again.

I love the fact that Steve admitted he had no clue how a bard worked and that it didn't matter anyway. :rock:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I like how the interplay between Zack and Steve has been evolving over time. Zack started out railroading like Thomas the frigging Tank Engine, then Steve figured out how to metagame, and now Zack is at least partly willing to put up with Steve's poo poo (if only because he didn't know how bards work and undoubtedly didn't like the possibility of them being loving useless).

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 15, 2010

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
"I'm going to allow it." Yes it's from Part 1, but I loved the whole thing.

Also nice of the Martian Manhunter to make a cameo on the back cover like that.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/fiend-folio-3e.php

WTF, D&D moves to 3rd edition. How many lamprey mouths are too many lamprey mouths? Also the Xerfilstyx is the dumbest looking monster.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
That horned-eel-tentacle-fish monster is trying way too hard.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I'm talking when drow meat-rock onion booty drop the red tube, you feel me?

Rapier
Apr 16, 2010
D&D always prided itself on given an original Dungeon experience.It wasn't as repetitive as most video games,with the same endless mobs.

I am just curious has anyone in this thread actually played D&D because I always assumed the Game-master probably never used most of the monsters in the Monster manuals either?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

As someone who has just recently been introduced to the game, may I say that all of the WTF D&D articles are great for newcomers as well as (from what I can tell) veterans. There's a certain giddiness to reading through them again now that I know what the gently caress the actual game is like: they were funny before, but god drat.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
e: here's a giant post about dungeons and dragons!

Rapier posted:

D&D always prided itself on given an original Dungeon experience.It wasn't as repetitive as most video games,with the same endless mobs.

I am just curious has anyone in this thread actually played D&D because I always assumed the Game-master probably never used most of the monsters in the Monster manuals either?

Speaking for myself personally, I used to be a huge sucker for buying whatever crap Wizards of the Coast pumped out. The first Monster Manual for 3rd edition was pretty heavily used, to the point where pretty much every enemy was a "not one of these guys again" experience for the players, except some of the more obscure demons/devils (there were a million of these). So I bought Monster Manual 2 and it pretty much instantly became a huge in-joke how ridiculous some of these monsters were. "It's got how many eyes? Is this a Monster Manual 2 monster or something?!"

I mean for god's sake when do you ever need your players to fight an Ixitxachitl badly enough to try and pronounce that poo poo?

It was almost worth it though for the one time a giant blob of random as gently caress abilities turned one of the players into a giant bee and we found out the "treasure" entry for giant bees only allows them to own honey. They are completely unique in this insane leap of logic that some goddamn game dev saw fit to sneak in, bucking the entire loving system of treasure management.

Oh, and dire elephants have a climb speed of 10', which make them only half as good at scaling vertical surfaces as your average giant spider, which I can only presume is some kind of insane interpretation of Hannibal's charge across the alps.

Shanty fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 1, 2010

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Thanks for finally getting to Spelljammer. It's patently ridiculous and over the top, but that's what makes it the best setting, dammnit! Also glad to see that my SJ game wasn't the only one rife with Star Trek jokes.

"Uhh, captain, the Illithids have us in their ship's tentacles. Should I continue casting magic missile captain? As you wish captain, as you wish." *Takei laugh*

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Don't forget to include a link!

Also: crap, why the hell do I only notice my favorite front page updates like five minutes before I have to leave to somewhere.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I only owned the core Spelljammer rules and an expansion for ship-to-ship combat, and I recognize about half the art in that article from my old books. They really re-used a lot of art back then.

King of Crowns
Jul 15, 2004
BOY, I SURE AM ONE HELL OF A FUCK-UP!
I never got much into Spelljammer and I'm immediately regretting it. It just seems to out there and open, not to mention ridiculous.

Maybe we can get another Spelljammer epic quest?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Could somebody explain the riddle to me? Why does a mirror have "Fire within"?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Steve is a goddamn genius. The idea of a beholder thief and then Scotty 8 kobolds nearly had me in tears.

Daniel Thorburn posted:

Could somebody explain the riddle to me? Why does a mirror have "Fire within"?

When it's reflecting a fire, the fire is 'within' the mirror without affecting its temperature ('burning cold').

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reflir posted:

When it's reflecting a fire, the fire is 'within' the mirror without affecting its temperature ('burning cold').

Also, fireplaces were probably a lot more common whenever the hell that riddle was written.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Happy Thanksgiving!

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/thanksgiving-thankful-vampirella.php

You really know all the old touchstones of the nerd world. I, too, am glad my little toy soliders are made from safer pewter or plastic now, and "intent to retard" is a new and fascinating crime to consider.

Also, is that picture from the second page an actual game? Because "Call me fatherfinder, PI" is up there for bad dialogue. Deus Ex levels of bad dialogue.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I'm talking when drow meat-rock onion booty drop the red tube, you feel me?

I still read the Maulgoth entry every few days and I still crack up for like 10 solid minutes afterwards.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Whoomp! (There it is) is by Tag Team :arghfist:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Dolash posted:

Also, is that picture from the second page an actual game? Because "Call me fatherfinder, PI" is up there for bad dialogue. Deus Ex levels of bad dialogue.

Looks like it's from Star Trek Online, assuming the picture's taken from this blog entry:
https://mmogamerchick.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
New article is up, more V:tM

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/vampire-artwork-montreal.php

What possible context could there ever be for that image? You'll know the one when you read the article.
Jesus christ.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As someone who never reads this article (though thanks to this one I'm thinking I should), something about terrible art in Vampire drew me into this edition. It was all good until I came across that last picture.

:barf: No commentary alive can soften the blow on that one, not even commentary as good as yours. Holy hell.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Souldark posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/vampire-artwork-montreal.php

What possible context could there ever be for that image? You'll know the one when you read the article.
Jesus christ.

I am sure some abortion/menses fetishist is whacking it to that right now.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
gently caress you, Vampire: The Masquerade.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
What image are you guys talking about? I remember nothing beyond page 11, other than a pain in my head and the taste of linoleum.

Steven Seagull
Oct 22, 2010
Seriously, why the gently caress does that picture exist. What could the context possibly be.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Bedevere posted:

I am sure some abortion/menses fetishist is whacking it to that right now.

Knowing White Wolf, that has something to do with it.

Serious storytelling people, not like D&D!

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

quote:

Well, now, the Sabbat Boys had gone rabbit in the General Lee, headin' for the county line with Prince of Hazzard County Hogg's stolen recipe for Miss Ida's barbecue sauce. All they had to do was get over that old bridge at Camarilla Holler and they'd be free and clear to the Enoch Barbecue Festival. When we left 'em the boys had just realized the bridge was out and Chief Justiciar Roscoe P. Coltrane was in hot pursuit.

^^^ best part

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Souldark posted:

They're vampires they kill people and drink blood.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.
Steve's a nicer person than I for assuming it was crotch blood.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

"Hey guys, you know the scene in Andy Warhol's Dracula where Joe Dallesandro rapes a virgin, and then Udo Kier comes along afterward and licks the blood off the floor? I know how to make it even better."

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Joke's on you, Zack, I just finished running a Vampire game this past Tuesday and we had a black player :smug: Deal with it.

Also jesus christ that last image, it is literally frightening.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Karl Rove posted:

Also jesus christ that last image, it is literally frightening.

It's a lot sexier if you imagine the girl chained to the urinal just has a bad nosebleed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

It's a lot sexier if you imagine the girl chained to the urinal just has a bad nosebleed.

It's pretty hosed up. I'll defend art on a lot of levels, but jesus, in your Role Playing Game? That's the sort of visual you want players going in with? Good god.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

It's pretty hosed up. I'll defend art on a lot of levels, but jesus, in your Role Playing Game? That's the sort of visual you want players going in with? Good god.

I agree the picture is all kinds of messed up, though it may fit the mood of most World of Darkness RPGs (every time I played people either wanted to just talk snobby to each other in accents or engage in violent perversion, so I went back to D&D). I wasn't completely serious, just making a joke about violence against women being sexier than menstruation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I agree the picture is all kinds of messed up, though it may fit the mood of most World of Darkness RPGs (every time I played people either wanted to just talk snobby to each other in accents or engage in violent perversion, so I went back to D&D). I wasn't completely serious, just making a joke about violence against women being sexier than menstruation.

I guess what I mean is that being part of someone's role playing adventure. Which is generally a group of dudes. Which is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I guess what I mean is that being part of someone's role playing adventure. Which is generally a group of dudes. Which is weird.

The two times I played Vampire: The Masquerade, the group was mostly female. That may have been the problem. Obese attention whores trying to out-evil each other are not as funny as you would think.

• Locked thread