Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

fedka.com is usually recommended for Russian cameras, and the guy is based in the US. Prices are higher than ebay, but from what I hear, he tests everything and describes accurately.

Other stuff that might be fun: you should be able to find a folder like an Agfa Isolette in that price range, but watch for bellows holes, sticky shutters, and stiff focus. If an ebay seller says that these things are tested and working fine, it probably is, but if they say "untested I don't know anything about cameras lol", I'd pass. Also, if you look hard enough, you might be able to find a TLR. These will be a bit more reliable (no bellows), and much more usable because they're easier to focus. Something like a Ciro-Flex, Rollop, Meopta Flexaret, or (occasionally) Yashica could be found for under $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Eurekapile posted:

Sweet! Those are exactly what I'm looking for. Too bad they apparently only sell them from the Ukraine.

FED-2 on ebay

I kinda want to just go ahead and buy that...

should I?

I've ordered lots of stuff from Russia, Ukraine and Latvia. The stuff usually arrives in Canada faster than stuff from China. You do occasionally get a wonky piece, but as long as you go with popular sellers and do your research you'll be fine. Heck, I find the former Soviet Union sellers are usually more honest than the Americans.

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around

HPL posted:

I've ordered lots of stuff from Russia, Ukraine and Latvia. The stuff usually arrives in Canada faster than stuff from China. You do occasionally get a wonky piece, but as long as you go with popular sellers and do your research you'll be fine. Heck, I find the former Soviet Union sellers are usually more honest than the Americans.

good to know. I just bought that one from my ebay link. They even accepted paypal!

I have no problem delaying Christmas by a few days. Thanks guys.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I just got a Yashica Samurai X3 for about 30 bucks on ebay. Been wanting to play with half frames for a while, finally won an auction! Anyone else have one of these?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Cannister posted:

Anybody have suggestions for finding cheap super 8 film? Keh's got 50' spools for 15-20 bucks (not sure how much footage 50' gets). My sister wants a super 8 camera for Christmas so I thought I'd snag some film too, but it's twice as expensive as the camera!

Package deals are good!
50' gets you just over 3 mins. Other than craigslist I've never found anywhere cheaper than $15. Right now there is a guy selling K40 cartridges for only $10 each, it's tempting but there is no way I could shoot it in time. Don't forget that once you shoot them you also have to pay for shipping, processing, and scanning. Overall it ends up costing around $14 per minute to shoot. It's a lot of fun, but it isn't cheap.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have two old cameras with no strap lugs on the body. I don't want to use the everready cases because they breed mold, but the lack of a strap makes it hard for me to carry the camera around and protect it. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Do your cameras have tripod mounts?
Gordy’s carries tripod–mount wrist straps. BlackRapid has a sling–style tripod–mount strap. Also, you can make the DIY R–Strap.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Spedman posted:

I went down to local camera shop today who have some cool second hand cameras. I was looking at two Zeiss Super Ikonta's in fairly good condition and asked for a price, $1200 and $1500 AUD, "they hold their value" he said. I said "cheers" and walked out.

Are dealers just not aware of real market prices? (keh values, not eBay)

Camera shops are getting their lunch eaten by the internet nowadays, I wish more would buy up cheap ebay cameras, test/CLA them and sell them for a modest markup...you would know you're supporting a local business and that the camera will work.

I guess that's the kind of thing that KEH is already doing, but it's a shame to see places like the local shop go out of business because they didn't keep up with the times.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Camera shops are getting their lunch eaten by the internet nowadays, I wish more would buy up cheap ebay cameras, test/CLA them and sell them for a modest markup...you would know you're supporting a local business and that the camera will work.

I guess that's the kind of thing that KEH is already doing, but it's a shame to see places like the local shop go out of business because they didn't keep up with the times.

There's a place here in San Francisco called Discount Camera. It's been there for YEARS and it is by a good margin the most expensive camera place in the city. In some cases their used gear is 10x the reliable going rate on Ebay. They sell new products over MSRP. It's unbelievable that they can still compete. They're in the financial district so it's not like they can really count on suckering tourists, either. I don't know how they do it.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

The first time a photolab hosed up an order:

It was also my first time at Icon in LA. $3.50 for 4x5 E6 and C41. It said E6 in the receipt but i noticed the 4x5 envelop had C41 printed on the top as I was driving back home.

*gulp*

I called and they said to bring it in next time, so hopefully I can get some free dev later :-/

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
If I were to be having a metering issue with my Nikon N2020, would it be more economical to have it recalibrated or just buy some other cheap metering Nikon body? If the recalibration was the best way to go about it, is there any place you would recommend?

have it your weigh
Nov 10, 2005
SNARF

Stregone posted:

I just got a Yashica Samurai X3 for about 30 bucks on ebay. Been wanting to play with half frames for a while, finally won an auction! Anyone else have one of these?

I have two Samurais and the flash adapter and yashica cs-140 flash. You can get some pretty good results in good lighting. scanning is kind of a pain but its easier if you want to keep the two frames together.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Argh. I decided to use a spreadsheet to help inventory stuff while cleaning my horrible mess of an apartment... turns out that I had about 140 rolls of film kicking around between my fridge, cabinets, bags, and coat pockets, plus another sixty or so rolls worth of Plus-X and Tri-X 320 in my bulk loaders.

I should probably just retire the dSLR for awhile - and maybe take out a damned loan for all that C-41 processing.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Now you are ready to pour in chemicals. The system is light tight at this point so feel free to come out of the closet (or where ever). Make sure your solutions are all about 20 degrees centigrade.

20 degrees Celsius is 68 Fahrenheit. My apartment is kept pretty warm (I have no control over the heating), and currently it is 74 degrees. Should I open a window to try and cool it down, or is 74 degrees close enough to start working? I already have the roll in the tank.

My other question: when I was ratcheting it on the auto loader the last bit of film didn't seem to connect and was hanging loose. It was a 36 exposure roll. Could it be I didn't trim off enough off the front and the end of the roll? Or maybe the 36 exposure rolls are longer and don't wrap around the auto load reel all the way? Anyway, I can't go back now so hopefully it won't mess it up too much.

Edit: I think I answered my own question on the temperature thing. I guess I just use this.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 19, 2010

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Mannequin posted:

20 degrees Celsius is 68 Fahrenheit. My apartment is kept pretty warm (I have no control over the heating), and currently it is 74 degrees. Should I open a window to try and cool it down, or is 74 degrees close enough to start working? I already have the roll in the tank.

My other question: when I was ratcheting it on the auto loader the last strip of film seem to connect and was hanging loose. It was a 36 exposure roll. Could it be I didn't trim off enough off the front and the end of the roll? Or maybe the 36 exposure rolls are longer and don't wrap around the auto load reel all the way? Anyway, I can't go back now so hopefully it won't mess it up too much.

Edit: I think I answered my own question on the temperature thing. I guess I just use this.
You’re still checking the temperature of your chemicals, right? Don’t go by the ambient temperature of the room.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Yeah, I've got the thermometer in the solution. Another question: do I have to blend the developer + water together before pouring it in or I can I put 300ml of water and 9ml of developer separately?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Mix your dilution before adding it to the tank.

e: Also, take the temp of the dilution (dev + water), not just the developer.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Hmm, one thing not made clear by the guide on page 1 is how much fixer is needed for one roll, and how much perma wash? Surely not 1 whole liter of fixer...

Edit: Also, how long do you leave the water in after you have poured out the developer?

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 19, 2010

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Mannequin posted:

Hmm, one thing not made clear by the guide on page 1 is how much fixer is needed for one roll, and how much perma wash? Surely not 1 whole liter of fixer...

The volume should be listed on the bottom of your dev tank for any given solution. the solution you make based on what the box/bottle says

quote:

Edit: Also, how long do you leave the water in after you have poured out the developer?

For roll film: I fill with cold water, shake for a few seconds, and pour out 3x then move on to the next step.

Sheet: submerge and agitate for a 5-10 seconds in cold water bath.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

The volume should be listed on the bottom of your dev tank for any given solution.

It lists the developer, not fixer information:

8th-samurai posted:

Dilution 'B' Recipe:
9.4 ml of HC-110
300 ml of water.

Why do I use 300ml at a time? Because the patterson tank requires 290ml of fluid to cover one roll of 35mm. So I'm always making up just enough to develop one (or by doubling it) two rolls of film.

But when he jumps down to the next steps, he says:

8th-samurai posted:

stop bath: To stop the developers action when the appropriate time has arrived. Not needed use water.

Fixer: This washes out the silver halide crystal that have not been exposed to light. Making the image light proof and permanent.

I use Kodafix. I make up a liter at a time. You dilute Kodafix 1:3 with water so a liter would be 250ml of fix and 750ml of water.

Permawash: Just helps to wash out the fixer.

For the stop bath he doesn't list how much, but I will go with the amount you listed.

For fixer, he says he makes up 1 liter at a time, is that just for convenience so he can use it later or because you actually need 1 liter?

For permawash he doesn't list any quantities.

I want to measure these all out and make sure they are at consistent temperatures before I start pouring them in my tank. I will send him a PM, maybe he can answer my questions.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Mannie, you mix the fixer up to the concentration listed on the bottle. You will need enough of whatever chemical you are using to cover the film, at least. If you use less, it may take a longer time to fix your film properly as the solution gets weaker. There's no incentive to put less than the tank will hold in, because you save the fixer until the solution is depleted. Just mix up 1 liter and store it. Do not put anything besides wash water down the drain until it is all used up, and fixer NEVER goes in the drain.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You will need enough of whatever chemical you are using to cover the film, at least.

I have no idea how much that is. Should I just guess, then dilute it 1:3?

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's no incentive to put less than the tank will hold in, because you save the fixer until the solution is depleted.

What do you mean save it? Pour it out to re-use it? How can I do this if I eventually put Permawash in there?

Sorry, I have not done this in 17 years and I'm trying to go by the OP's instructions.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm not sure what fixer you have. I have Ilford Rapid Fixer and it's also a 1:3 dilution, so that would seem like a good place to start.

Most tanks have the required volume on the bottom. All are pretty much the same, for 1x135-36 it should be something like 400ml. A full 2-reel tank is around 600-700ml. Be careful if you are using very dilute solutions, there are sometimes minimum amounts of developer that you must maintain per roll regardless of the amount needed to cover the film. HC-110 is supposedly like this but it's never been an issue for me.

You save the chemicals in their own individual bottles. I.e. mix up a 1L working solution of fixer, pour it in and fix, pour it back into the bottle of fixer solution. Then you rinse the tank with 2 tanks of water, and pour in the permawash/fixer remover. That goes back in the bottle of working solution of permawash, etc. You don't have to rinse between every chemical, the goal here is to get the fixer off so the permawash can work.

e: And just to repeat, don't put fixer down the drain. Anything more than the amount in the wash-water will probably poison your septic tank or waterways. Everything but rinse water and one-shot developer solutions can and should be reused.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 19, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Thanks for the tips, I will give this a try in a little bit. I bought everything on the Amazon wishlist that was posted, save for some of the clips because I already had those. I have the HC-110 developer.

Paul MaudDib posted:

e: And just to repeat, don't put fixer down the drain. Anything more than the amount in the wash-water will probably poison your septic tank or waterways. Everything but rinse water and one-shot developer solutions can and should be reused.

No problem, I definitely will not pour any of this stuff down the drain.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

stuff

I guess I could have been clearer. I mix up small batches of developer because I don't reuse it, so it's more economical to make just enough. Fixer I make up a liter and just fill the tank to the top with it. I get rid of it at a recycling center when clip testing shows that it takes twice as long as fresh stuff to fix the film. Same deal with perma wash, I make up a liter and just fill the tank with it. That stuff goes down the drain when the rinse cycle is done. I suppose you could use just 300ml of each per roll but frankly I just pour them in the tank.

Water only needs a short amount of time to stop most of the film development. I haven't really done any tests to see how long is necessary. What I do is pour water in and leave it for at least 10 or 15 mins without agitation. Then I do a few inversions and pour it out. This lets a tiny bit of developer keep working on the shadow detail. You would most likely be fine with just 5 or 10 inversions and pouring it out if you are in a hurry.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

guidoanselmi posted:

The first time a photolab hosed up an order:

It was also my first time at Icon in LA. $3.50 for 4x5 E6 and C41. It said E6 in the receipt but i noticed the 4x5 envelop had C41 printed on the top as I was driving back home.

*gulp*

I called and they said to bring it in next time, so hopefully I can get some free dev later :-/

Are your sure it was developing? It looks a hell of a lot like what my 220 looked like when I accidentally loaded it backwards.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Um...can you load in 4x5 backwards? I've only shot B&W without ever caring (or noticing) which side the emulsion was on.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yes, very, very easily. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/loading.html

It looks like you did load it backwards, seeing as the edge coding looks fine, colour-wise, and that that isn't what provia looks like cross-processed. http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=xpro+provia

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 20, 2010

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

guidoanselmi posted:

Um...can you load in 4x5 backwards? I've only shot B&W without ever caring (or noticing) which side the emulsion was on.

Some people even do it intentionally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redscale

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Well don't I feel like a moron. I've shot probably 20 sheets of BW and none of them turned out this way.

I had really expired 120 ektrachrome which turned out like this when crossprocessed so I figure it might be possible as the provia's a bit expired too. Oh well.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Spent all day organizing my negatives, finished up my 35mm, tomorrow I start my 120 :suicide:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

guidoanselmi posted:

Well don't I feel like a moron. I've shot probably 20 sheets of BW and none of them turned out this way.

I had really expired 120 ektrachrome which turned out like this when crossprocessed so I figure it might be possible as the provia's a bit expired too. Oh well.

If you had shot B&W backwards it would just look a little fuzzy since the antihalation layer is in the way. Color film though is designed in layers so backwards the red layer gets way too much light.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-samurai posted:

If you had shot B&W backwards it would just look a little fuzzy since the antihalation layer is in the way. Color film though is designed in layers so backwards the red layer gets way too much light.

Backwards shot BW apparently doesn't look too bad at all from what I've heard, in that it doesn't look any softer, but it is 2 stops or so under exposed. There was a guy I saw on flickr a long time ago who was doing this on purpose (shooting through the antihilation layer) and getting some cool results.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Just got a 1978 Pentax MX /w 28mm 2.8 lens for YOSPOS Secret Santa.

I'm really excited to start experimenting with film. I already ran a roll through it.

Anyone else shoot manual Pentax? Should I invest in a negative scanner? What's the most common workflow for getting their pictures digitized in a good quality?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mightaswell posted:

Anyone else shoot manual Pentax? Should I invest in a negative scanner? What's the most common workflow for getting their pictures digitized in a good quality?

If you plan on shooting film regularly, a scanner is a must because getting the lab to do it will get expensive and you'll have more control over the quality with your own scanner.

And yes, Pentax film gear rocks. The ME Super SE is my weapon of choice with Pentax. I shoot Olympus film SLRs because they have good features, but the Pentax is so slick and nice to use.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Mightaswell posted:

That's a hell of a Secret Santa gift. Nice.
I mostly shoot with a Pentax K1000, I love the thing. Great camera. Also got a pair of M42 screwmount bodies and a mount adapter so my box full of super-cheap craigslist/thrift store lenses can go on my Pentax stuff.
If you want a really cheap but dependable lens to compliment that 28mm, track down one of the SMC M 50mm lenses. I've got the F/2 ($20 used price at KEH), but the F/1.7 ($40ish) or the F/1.4 ($80) versions are quite affordable too.

How much are you looking to spend on a scanner, and what's your goal with it? How much quality do you need? If you're just trying to get film into a web-friendly format, drugstore prints scanned onto any cheap flatbed should be okay. For good print-quality enlargements though, it'll cost you. I picked up an Epson V600 for $150ish, I can get pretty reasonable 8x12" prints out of those negative scans... but a V700 (~$500+) or a dedicated film scanner would be a lot better.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 23, 2010

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That's a hell of a Secret Santa gift. Nice.
I mostly shoot with a Pentax K1000, I love the thing. Great camera. Also got a pair of M42 screwmount bodies and a mount adapter so my box full of super-cheap craigslist/thrift store lenses can go on my Pentax stuff.
If you want a really cheap but dependable lens to compliment that 28mm, track down one of the SMC M 50mm lenses. I've got the F/2 ($20 used price at KEH), but the F/1.7 ($40ish) or the F/1.4 ($80) versions are quite affordable too.

How much are you looking to spend on a scanner, and what's your goal with it? How much quality do you need? If you're just trying to get film into a web-friendly format, drugstore prints scanned onto any cheap flatbed should be okay. For good print-quality enlargements though, it'll cost you. I picked up an Epson V600 for $150ish, I can get pretty reasonable 8x12" prints out of those negative scans... but a V700 (~$500+) or a dedicated film scanner would be a lot better.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be looking into Epson flatbeds and the lenses you mentioned. The pictures I posted were wal-mart prints scanned by a flatbed.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Finally found a good deal on an Olympus XA ... after looking for so many months. I guess it'll arrive at some time in February given the UK post.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mightaswell posted:

I'm really excited to start experimenting with film. I already ran a roll through it.

The MX is a loving great camera, I'm jealous. The viewfinder is enormous, the matte screen is very coarse, and it has a split prism. I have that lens, in my experience it's soft wide open but stop down and it's a great lens for tight spaces. I agree with Cogwerks, get a 50mm. The f/1.7 are reputed to be sharpest, the f/1.4 is fast and the f/2 is cheap. If you can find it, the "SMC Pentax" series are slightly nicer than the "SMC Pentax-M" series. The 55mm f/1.8 and 50/1.4 from SMCP are both pretty nice. For scanners, I would look at the Epson V500, it's <$200 and Good Enough (tm). Looks like you're already getting some good shots. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm such a klutz, left my paper bag full of film in the hostel at the very end of my vacation :( Backpacking 11.3 kg photo gear/tripod is ridiculous even when tuk tuk drivers are only $15/day to carry your bags. Hurray for light film bodies! I have already bought 2 boxes of Tri-X 400 and a box of Ektar 100 for my next trip. But in the mean time, I really need to hone my technical and creative skills because film can be very punishing if you are not careful :smith:

I really love my flea market EOS 500N + 17-40. But I probably do need to get a better replacement or at least a replacement with a silent red dot AF focus. Instead of a film SLR, goons at the Point and shoot thread recommend a film point and shoot. A ricoh GR-1s costs arouynd 360-500 in my town but there were a few Olympus XA, X4A and plentiful of canonnet "something". I'm really curious about premium film point and shoots but according to research even the famous Leica minilux is prone to brick due to the shutter error code :( Hopefully I can find something which will last! Or a more affordable GR-1s. The hyperfocal function sounds amazing! Suggestions welcome, my max budget is $200 for a premium point and shoot. $250 if I can be thoroughly convinced.

And one last thing, is AGFHA back from bankruptcy or is it just a shell of a name like polaroid? I bought a roll of colour 200 but it have no idea on its quality...