Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Guava posted:

True, although we have every reason to believe that Surma's mother also died when she was young.

Didn't it turn out that Tom had misread the question as being about Surma instead of Surma's mother? I don't follow the Word of Tom, but I seem to recall someone posting in here that that was the case. Surma's mother could still be alive, for all we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Elftor posted:

Didn't it turn out that Tom had misread the question as being about Surma instead of Surma's mother? I don't follow the Word of Tom, but I seem to recall someone posting in here that that was the case. Surma's mother could still be alive, for all we know.

You are correct.

http://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/9206452753268736

quote:

Oops, I misread that formspring question as "Is Surma still alive". It's not nearly as important as people think.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Well that was horrible, I mean it's not her fault.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

What is that last panel? Some kind of animal skull, or an internal organ of some sort?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I'm fairly certain it's a coyote skull. Kind of an ominous image, considering where she's headed.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
It is a animal skull but dont know what animal it is from.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's a coyote skull.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
Well, this couldn't possibly be foreshadowing anything.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wait, does this mean Anthony is actually Zombie Coyote?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

inthesto posted:

Wait, does this mean Anthony is actually Zombie Coyote?

I think it means that Coyote is DEAD

BECAUSE OF ANNIE :wth:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Thank you guys for clearing up what that was. I certainly didn't like what I saw it as.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
Guys I'm pretty sure Coyote can't die.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Guava posted:

Guys I'm pretty sure Coyote can't die.

It's less that he can't die and more that he'd regard it as a trivial nuisance, maybe use the time to nap a bit before coming back to life in a week or so.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I can't be the only one who gets chills from Anthony's facial expression. It even gives me Stendhal syndrome or something nearing to it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Anthony Carver does realize that ultimately it's HIS fault for Surma's death. That's what you get for not using protection. Soul devouring death. :colbert:

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

Fragrag posted:

I can't be the only one who gets chills from Anthony's facial expression. It even gives me Stendhal syndrome or something nearing to it.

It's possible that it's just because he looks like Antimony, but he seems very young. That plus his deliberately ignoring his daughter as he leaves makes me think he's extremely immature or childish. All the other adults we've seen who probably know why Surma died have managed to treat Annie very well in spite of it, which is the mature and compassionate thing to do. If Anthony really does have some kind of grudge against Annie for Surma's death, he's a very special kind of selfish.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Pretty sure Anthony knows it was all his fault and cannot bear to even look at the living proof of it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It can't be coincidence that his face looks EXACTLY like Annie's when she lit up the bridge. BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Ka0 posted:

Pretty sure Anthony knows it was all his fault and cannot bear to even look at the living proof of it.

This is pretty much my interpretation of it. He seems to have believed that he could save Surma (he must have, if he spent that much time trying), but he failed. Maybe he even told Surma he could fix things so they could have Annie without her dying, but he wasn't able to do it.

Also, keep in mind that the others didn't have to actually watch Surma die. They found out about it at one remove, dealt with it (or failed to) in their own ways, and had Annie show up later. They know of the connection intellectually, but they wouldn't feel it like Anthony does; he watched her die for years and was powerless to do anything about it, and knew Annie was on some level (through no fault of her own) responsible for it. That'll breed a bit of bitterness in a guy.

On a totally unrelated note: Tom has gotten a number of questions on Formspring about his book deal. He hasn't given a full rundown of things, but it seems like he got no advance and makes $0.00 per book (unless he sells it to you personally at a convention). Does anybody know how Archaia's book deals work? Have I missed something important or are they just screwing him?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Pretty sure it is illegal for a publisher to sell books without the author gaining a dime. Permissions and all that.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ka0 posted:

Pretty sure it is illegal for a publisher to sell books without the author gaining a dime. Permissions and all that.

Well, he may have given the permissions for a flat sum with no royalties contract.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is this the first glimpse we've caught of adult Anthony's face?

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Yep. If he had said one line it would also have *doubled* the amount of things we've heard from him too. Dudes a cypher, although it's nice to see him completely wrecked at his wife's soon to be death bed. At least we've established he has a heart!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

idonotlikepeas posted:

On a totally unrelated note: Tom has gotten a number of questions on Formspring about his book deal. He hasn't given a full rundown of things, but it seems like he got no advance and makes $0.00 per book (unless he sells it to you personally at a convention). Does anybody know how Archaia's book deals work? Have I missed something important or are they just screwing him?
Contracts might vary, and Archaia appears to have been sold in 2008 and reorganized due to their inability to ship books on time, but Googling turned up this contract template from a different comic from this year (probably shouldn't leave that directory open!) stating 50% net proceeds, 50% proceeds from selling the rights to adaptations in other media, and 5% production costs or $50,000, whichever is more, if they decide to create their own adaptation without selling the rights.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
That could be it, then. It's very easy to scam net proceeds; just ask anyone in the movie industry.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fragrag posted:

That's kind of weird, dude.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

idonotlikepeas posted:

That could be it, then. It's very easy to scam net proceeds; just ask anyone in the movie industry.

That sucks balls if that's happening. If Tom found a better publisher and reprinted I'd gladly rebuy the books from him because he deserves what he can get from it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ka0 posted:

Given that Surma thought to tell Annie that her father still loved her without any prompting from her, it seems suggestive that she has reason to think that Anthony no longer does, or will be imminently acting in a way that suggests that he no longer does.

Anthony is such an arsehole.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I took a peak at this comic via the webcomics thread and was completely hooked. Blazed through the entire thing over the span of two days at work. Great stuff.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
Brrrr, this latest run has been nerve-wracking. Congratulations on putting the screws in so deep, Tea-san.

(Also, Coyote is such a creep)

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Fangz posted:

Given that Surma thought to tell Annie that her father still loved her without any prompting from her, it seems suggestive that she has reason to think that Anthony no longer does, or will be imminently acting in a way that suggests that he no longer does.

(This may be what you meant, but your wording is ambiguous:) Or that he will imminently be acting in a way that she might perceive as being otherwise. (Like appearing to abandon her.)

It's entirely compatible with non-rear end in a top hat Anthony:

• He has to go do something non-assholish
  • Surma knows he loves Annie
  • Surma tells Annie that so she will have faith

The scenarios for the first point are endless. For example, perhaps Anthony is now trying to do something to prevent what happened to Surma from happening to Annie. (Obviously, if they don't want to tell her what's happening to Surma, there'd be no way to explain that.)

Yes, he could just be an rear end in a top hat, but you'd have to explain why she'd lie to Annie about it, given what we've been shown of the nature of Surma's interactions with Annie to date. I mean, even so he could still be an rear end in a top hat. I just feel like the story is tonally saying something very different from the tone you're getting from it. (But I could be wrong, too.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, it may well be that there's an entirely innocent explanation, but Surma probably wasn't referring to where Anthony is now, since from the ages this was a long time before Anthony broke off contact completely and disappeared. And Surma is, as established, kinda a habitual liar and manipulator (albeit for positive reasons, maybe?) so...

Just saying, it continues to look not so good for Anthony. And Coyote is super suspicious, and I still think he has something to do with all of this.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Fangz posted:

Just saying, it continues to look not so good for Anthony

The fact he loves his daughter isn't looking good for him?

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

nothings posted:

Yes, he could just be an rear end in a top hat, but you'd have to explain why she'd lie to Annie about it, given what we've been shown of the nature of Surma's interactions with Annie to date. I mean, even so he could still be an rear end in a top hat. I just feel like the story is tonally saying something very different from the tone you're getting from it. (But I could be wrong, too.)

Who would tell their kid that their other parent doesn't love them, even if it's the truth?

I think the interpretation that he doesn't care for Annie comes from the way he completely ignored her when leaving. You'd think the average parent could spare a smile or pat on the head for their young child, even when upset. Just walking straight past them without a glance seems really cold.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
We can't all be saints in the face of desolation.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fact that we have never been shown Anthony actually being as nice a guy Surma makes out is fairly interesting. We're only given impressions of him as told by other characters. According to Surma he's a loving husband and father, according to Renard he's a jerk, to everyone else he's a strange loner. Annie seems to hold her mother's opinion on him, but it looks like it is more that is what her mom said and she places a lot of weight on what her mom said.

At this point his actual character is unknown. I do hope we get to learn more about him soon though, as this whole "what is he really like" mystery is starting to run a bit thin.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Brannock posted:

That's kind of weird, dude.

Never go to a fine arts museum with me then :D Stendhal syndrome might be overdoing it, but that was the closest thing I could find that could describe it adequately

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

inkblot posted:

The fact that we have never been shown Anthony actually being as nice a guy Surma makes out is fairly interesting. We're only given impressions of him as told by other characters. According to Surma he's a loving husband and father, according to Renard he's a jerk, to everyone else he's a strange loner. Annie seems to hold her mother's opinion on him, but it looks like it is more that is what her mom said and she places a lot of weight on what her mom said.

At this point his actual character is unknown. I do hope we get to learn more about him soon though, as this whole "what is he really like" mystery is starting to run a bit thin.

Of course Renard thinks he's a jerk. He stole his wife!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Wandering Eye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Rincewind posted:

Wandering Eye!

I can totally integrate this new information into my Iron Golem hypothesis, just gimme a minute. I'm right dammit-