Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Sizzlechest posted:

EDIT 2: Is this normal 3G speed?

Just ran the same test on my 3g Captivate and got 3100 up and 1650 down with 153 ms ping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Miui users, the new menu arrangement looks poo poo. Can I change it to the more traditional look?

To clarify, this is the menu that pops up when you press the menu key.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 19, 2010

Aaln
Apr 29, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Miui users, the new menu arrangement looks poo poo. Can I change it to the more traditional look?

To clarify, this is the menu that pops up when you press the menu key.

Settings --> Personal (tab) --> Menu Settings --> Original grid --> Done

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Rom Manager is a pain in the dick a lot of times and you're better off just sideloading the ROM and booting to recovery yourself.

I especially had problems with Rom Manager trashing my clockwork mod install.

I've never had any issues with Rom Manager and my OG Droid. I've used it to backup and restore when switching ROMS as well as Kernels. Up until recently the only issues I've had is the listing of some of the Kernels in their Pro Download section and them not being available.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Rom Manager is a pain in the dick a lot of times and you're better off just sideloading the ROM and booting to recovery yourself.

I especially had problems with Rom Manager trashing my clockwork mod install.

I quite agree, i've never had any luck with Rom Manager and pretty much bypass 90% of the cool things its supposed to do. The latest was renaming nandroid backups, I found out the hard way they wouldn't restore (for me), their fine if I don't put a custom name on 'em. Anyhow enough bitching, does Amon Ra work as advertised? Does everyone that uses it like it?

EDIT: this is through multiple different roms
N1 att

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

potentiometer posted:

does Amon Ra work as advertised? Does everyone that uses it like it?

The original root method for the EVO installed Amon Ra, and I've never had a problem with it. I rename all of my nandroid backups when I copy them over to my computer, and I've never had a problem flashing anything.

In fact, I was happy (at first) that the root method for my old Hero (which I just got around to rooting) installed ClockworkMod...but ROM manager didn't work worth a gently caress anyhow, so I gave up and just started ignoring it.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

The original root method for the EVO installed Amon Ra, and I've never had a problem with it. I rename all of my nandroid backups when I copy them over to my computer, and I've never had a problem flashing anything.

In fact, I was happy (at first) that the root method for my old Hero (which I just got around to rooting) installed ClockworkMod...but ROM manager didn't work worth a gently caress anyhow, so I gave up and just started ignoring it.

Yeah, maybe i'll give Amon Ra a whirl, I'm itching to play with some new software anyways. :)

Anymore input re Amon Ra or Clockwork gratefully accepted!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Dumb question -

I just rooted my old HTC Hero for fun and installed CM 6.1. I was playing around with the sittings and noticed that JIT is disabled. Is there any reason why I shouldn't enable it?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Newest MIUI added:

Theme Downloader
Split themes (can apply the icons from one, sms from another, overall system from a 3rd, boot animation etc etc)
More functionality in built in backup
Tracker which works like Stats from the market on crack - tracks usage of SMS/minutes/data, and allows you to force specific apps to Mobile only or Firewall only. Oh, it also lists how much up/down each app has used, and I believe it persists across reboots.

MIUI Music got an update.

I love MIUI :h: I wonder how long it'll take for MIUI to start seeing GB builds...

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

So I want to change the Cyanogen startup from its funny little circle thing to just a list of the starting services, much like Linux. Is there an animation I need to download and install or can I just remove the cyanogen boot animation and thats what it will do?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Dumb question -

I just rooted my old HTC Hero for fun and installed CM 6.1. I was playing around with the sittings and noticed that JIT is disabled. Is there any reason why I shouldn't enable it?

Because it will probably cause your Hero to eventually slow the gently caress down and/or maybe give you random reboots as well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sizzlechest posted:

EDIT 2: Is this normal 3G speed?

Yes, that's par for the course. I've seen just a hair over 4M/s but I was literally 100 feet from the connecting tower. Can you find any other sources stating that the Slide supports TMo's 4G? It would be cool if it did but I seriously doubt that it actually does.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes, that's par for the course. I've seen just a hair over 4M/s but I was literally 100 feet from the connecting tower. Can you find any other sources stating that the Slide supports TMo's 4G? It would be cool if it did but I seriously doubt that it actually does.

According to pdadb it doesn't support HSPA+. Far from the official definitive source, but usually pretty accurate.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I found this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705064

quote:

Hey guys, droppin in to add something to the forum real quick before bed..... I got my hands on the newest ESPRIMG.nbh and in messing with it i realized we all flashed that eng build in order to be able to flash custom ROMs etc. Well in doing so we also all downgraded our radio to 7.07.35.02S..... Well i doubt u guys remember but the newest Radio is 7.08.35.04S... Anyways, i built a new "SlideMeRoot3" and included the radio in the installation package as well as apps2sd but need to discuss it with Eugene before releasing it. Soooo i made a quick update package for u guys with the newest radio until then. Install as u would any custom ROM on slide by rebooting to stock recovery, applying update.zip to boot into our temp recovery, and apply .zip from SD. You can do this over any ROM so dont be alarmed, i just wanted to get us back up to par with the release build. So now we have the release ROM AND the release radio. You can expect all the same improvements as having the newest radio on any other device (increased battery life, signal strength etc) But dont quote me on that lol..... CR

I can confirm the radio on the phone is 7.07.35.02S. Should I try this radio update? If so, does anyone have step by step instructions?

EDIT: Apparently, there's an even newer radio: 7.09.35.10 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=745874

EDIT 2: gently caress it. I updated it through ROM Manager. No speed improvements, but at least I didn't fry the phone. :)

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 19, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

n0manarmy posted:

So I want to change the Cyanogen startup from its funny little circle thing to just a list of the starting services, much like Linux. Is there an animation I need to download and install or can I just remove the cyanogen boot animation and thats what it will do?

It won't be an actual list of services starting up. You can find some BIOS-style mock ups that do this, but it's still just pictures.

Removing the boot animation will probably keep your phone from booting.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

Yup. The animation is called in the boot process. Removing it will halt the entire process. Either replace it with an animation you like or stick an empty animation in it's place.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Negatory. There is a default boot animation built into android and it's really boring.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

flyboi posted:

Negatory. There is a default boot animation built into android and it's really boring.

Well balls, that's no fun :(

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

n0manarmy posted:

Well balls, that's no fun :(

It's pretty quick, though. My Droid boot time seriously halved when I got rid of the fancy boot animation I'd been using and just let Android use the default one.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's pretty simple to make and install your own boot animations. It boils down to a PNG sequence with a desc.txt descriptor file that controls it.

code:
600 1024 30
p 1 0 part0
p 0 1 part1
The first line is width, height and fps of the animation. This one is 600x1024 at 30 fps.

The second line is animation, number of repeats, and folder of the first part. So it will animate from the folder part0 once with no pause.

The third is the same as the second, only with the second part. In this one, it repeats the animation forever until the OS is fully loaded.

I'm sure there's a better explanation for it but those are the basics I understand.

Here's one I made for the nook color devs auto-root script:

Of course it's much smoother, this is 30 frames where the actual one is 90. I haven't yet figured the best way to make gif previews of them. :v:

If there is a consensus on a generic but cool enough idea for a boot animation I'll make one for this thread.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Now that I've rooted and switched over to Cyanogenmod, I seem to have lost all Flash capabilities. I can't find any replacement on the marketplace. How can I get at least Flash lite back?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Casao posted:

It won't be an actual list of services starting up. You can find some BIOS-style mock ups that do this, but it's still just pictures.

I know I've seen Android builds, typically intended for testing on a device, which seem to show a standard Linux style verbose boot. The iPhone Android port for example. See about 1:15 in to this video.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

wolrah posted:

I know I've seen Android builds, typically intended for testing on a device, which seem to show a standard Linux style verbose boot. The iPhone Android port for example. See about 1:15 in to this video.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582336 does a mock up.

You'd have to rewrite the Android boot up to support it as far as I'm aware, because Verbose mode is not supported. The iOS port probably uses a distinct boot method which has support built in.

Android is Linux and Open Source, hence the ports. You could make it happen, but I'm pretty much positive it's not as simple as changing a flag somewhere.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sizzlechest posted:

Now that I've rooted and switched over to Cyanogenmod, I seem to have lost all Flash capabilities. I can't find any replacement on the marketplace. How can I get at least Flash lite back?

The Slide's processor does not support flash and never will. It was hard coded by Adobe that way. Flash Lite was only found on Sense.

Edit: To clarify, Flash requires ARM 8 and newer. IIRC the Slide is running an ARM 11.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 20, 2010

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The Slide's processor does not support flash and never will. It was hard coded by Adobe that way. Flash Lite was only found on Sense.

Edit: To clarify, Flash requires ARM 8 and newer. IIRC the Slide is running an ARM 11.

I think it's an ARM v6, but poo poo, that means no flash unless I go back to stock?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sizzlechest posted:

I think it's an ARM v6, but poo poo, that means no flash unless I go back to stock?

It's the V that's important, yeah. Flash Requires an A8 (which is V7 I believe) or newer, while that's an ARMv6. Flash is not supported and never will be, you can get Flash Lite with a Sense rom but not stock Android.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
So I uninstalled a bunch of apps with Titanium Back up. Restore definitely isn't working to bring them back. Kinda sucks. I didn't realize I should "freeze" them.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
My buddy has a Droid X and is trying to root it using the method linked in the OP, http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553

He has tried repeatedly and every time it hangs up about 2/3 of the way through. I am trying to relay over fb chat because he is in the next state over, any idea why it wont go? he is following the steps exactly he says.

Edit NVM theres an updated program for users with the 2.2 update, I sent him the link hopefully that works. You think we can get it updated in the OP? http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=967&find=unread

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 21, 2010

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

KickStand posted:

My buddy has a Droid X and is trying to root it using the method linked in the OP, http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553

He has tried repeatedly and every time it hangs up about 2/3 of the way through. I am trying to relay over fb chat because he is in the next state over, any idea why it wont go? he is following the steps exactly he says.

Edit NVM theres an updated program for users with the 2.2 update, I sent him the link hopefully that works. You think we can get it updated in the OP? http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=967&find=unread

I literally just tried rooting my DX in the last hour or so. Everything was a huge pain.

Then I looked through the threads here and googled a little, and I finally got it one-clicked with z4mod v1.3.0.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Virtuous Rom 3.2 is out for the Incredible. Seems pretty nice; they added in some new apps and feature controls.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Invader Tim posted:

I literally just tried rooting my DX in the last hour or so. Everything was a huge pain.

Then I looked through the threads here and googled a little, and I finally got it one-clicked with z4mod v1.3.0.

Goddamn z4mod was so much easier than going through ADB. I used it after I sbf'd back to 2.1 and then did an OTA to 2.2.1. Worked on the first try.

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Kazy posted:

That's pretty nice actually. I'm just about to get a Nook Color, (should be in my hands Weds night; gotta run down to the states for it) so I've been doing a bit of reading about rooting that device. You wrote the guide on Nookdevs huh? Looks pretty solid, thanks for that!

Also, is there anywhere on here to talk about Nook specific stuff?

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010
[Edit!!! Disregard this.. I misread what Sizzlechest's problem was.. it's late and I need coffee desperately. I thought you couldn't get on the Market (didn't flash Google Apps) but I'm obviously mistaken.]

Irradiated Haggis fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 21, 2010

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
OK I need a little help. I never planned on rooting my DX since I didn't have any reason really, but I'm getting my phone replaced tomorrow and would like to clone it for the most part.

I rooted with z4mod, ran titanium backup on everything and . . . is that all I really need to do to make sure I don't lose any software/saves?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

zarg posted:

That's pretty nice actually. I'm just about to get a Nook Color, (should be in my hands Weds night; gotta run down to the states for it) so I've been doing a bit of reading about rooting that device. You wrote the guide on Nookdevs huh? Looks pretty solid, thanks for that!

Also, is there anywhere on here to talk about Nook specific stuff?

Nah, I didn't write the guide to rooting it. I just helped the guy write the guide to changing the nook color's boot screen, which the instructions I used were from other sites, I just helped put it all in one place :v:

Rooting a nook color is terribly easy, especially if you're on the newest update firmware. The script for rooting 1.0.1 includes my bootscreen, but the one for 1.0.0 doesn't.

vv: You can download VPlayer from the market once you get it set up, it should play nearly any file.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 21, 2010

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Kazy posted:

Nah, I didn't write the guide to rooting it. I just helped the guy write the guide to changing the nook color's boot screen, which the instructions I used were from other sites, I just helped put it all in one place :v:

Rooting a nook color is terribly easy, especially if you're on the newest update firmware. The script for rooting 1.0.1 includes my bootscreen, but the one for 1.0.0 doesn't.

Yeah just gave the rooting tutorial on nookdevs an in-depth read. That does look retarded easy actually, which is awesome. I was expecting things to be pretty complicated since it's such a new device, but the instructions and steps seem really simple. Muuuuuch thanks to pokey9000 and the rest of the guys that put the automation scripts together.

God drat I am excited to have a tablet PC. Now if B&N makes good on their promise for 2.2, which includes editing google docs IIRC, I'll have more or less my dream device for a mere $250.

I seriously cant believe B&N didnt just launch this as a full on tablet. They would be MURDERING the market with a full function tablet at $250 right before xmas.

edit: Also they need to support more codecs :( I hate having to convert everything to MPEG4.

zarg fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 21, 2010

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Invader Tim posted:

OK I need a little help. I never planned on rooting my DX since I didn't have any reason really, but I'm getting my phone replaced tomorrow and would like to clone it for the most part.

I rooted with z4mod, ran titanium backup on everything and . . . is that all I really need to do to make sure I don't lose any software/saves?

You're all set.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

zarg posted:

Yeah just gave the rooting tutorial on nookdevs an in-depth read. That does look retarded easy actually, which is awesome. I was expecting things to be pretty complicated since it's such a new device, but the instructions and steps seem really simple. Muuuuuch thanks to pokey9000 and the rest of the guys that put the automation scripts together.

God drat I am excited to have a tablet PC. Now if B&N makes good on their promise for 2.2, which includes editing google docs IIRC, I'll have more or less my dream device for a mere $250.

I seriously cant believe B&N didnt just launch this as a full on tablet. They would be MURDERING the market with a full function tablet at $250 right before xmas.

edit: Also they need to support more codecs :( I hate having to convert everything to MPEG4.

The problem is, for $20 more, you could get one from an actual tablet maker, with a better processor, that's not slow as poo poo. I've been waiting for the Archos tablets to get back in stock, cause both are <$300 and beat the Nook Color in a lot of ways.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm having to replace my Evo because the drat charging port went out. If i just run a Titanium Backup and keep the SD Card, I should be able to restore all my settings/apps once I root and install Cyanogen on my new Evo?

Also, anyone know whether i should not update the Evo before rooting it (to get Swype)?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm having to replace my Evo because the drat charging port went out. If i just run a Titanium Backup and keep the SD Card, I should be able to restore all my settings/apps once I root and install Cyanogen on my new Evo?

Also, anyone know whether i should not update the Evo before rooting it (to get Swype)?

Uhm, swype is part of the stock ROM, not just something you install. So updating the stock ROM, then wiping and installing Cyanogen won't get you Swype. Just get the official beta, they accept everyone instantly now.

edit: And yeah, TB everything and you won't lose anything.