Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Miramax has formed a home video distribution partnership with The Weinstein Company for their catalog of 700+ films. Via The Digital Bits:

quote:

Well... I guess we shouldn't be surprised. In fact, we even guessed it might happen last week. But it's now official: Miramax (as owned by Filmyard Holdings) has partnered with The Weinstein Company for new content creation and also distribution of its catalog of more than 700 films on Blu-ray, DVD and digital download. Hopefully that means a whole range of eagerly-awaited and long-neglected films will finally see the light of day on Blu-ray. From the piece at Home Media: "Part of the agreement has Miramax and Weinstein creating new material for Blu-ray releases of Miramax films, including roundtables featuring cast and directors." Well, it's about drat time! Here's a suggestion, guys: How's about starting with Pulp Fiction, The English Patient, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Trainspotting and The Crow? As part of the deal, the two companies are also planning on working together to produce sequels to many of the key titles in the Miramax catalog. No doubt we'll hear more in the coming weeks.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

Miramax has formed a home video distribution partnership with The Weinstein Company for their catalog of 700+ films. Via The Digital Bits:
I know it shouldn't seem weird, when I think about what money is changing hands to who, but it still seems strange to me that Weinsteins struck a deal for Sony to handle all home video releases of TWC films, and now Weinstein will handle home video releases of Miramax stuff. It sounds like being unable to clean your own house, but cleaning others houses for them.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

I know it shouldn't seem weird, when I think about what money is changing hands to who, but it still seems strange to me that Weinsteins struck a deal for Sony to handle all home video releases of TWC films, and now Weinstein will handle home video releases of Miramax stuff. It sounds like being unable to clean your own house, but cleaning others houses for them.

Actually, there's an extra layer of complication here: The Weinsteins don't distribute any home video stuff. Sony distributes their new releases, and Vivendi Entertainment distributes their catalog titles. So Miramax, formerly owned by The Weinstein Company, now has a home video distribution deal with The Weinstein Company, even though The Weinstein Company doesn't actually conduct any distribution. They're just going to pass everything along to Vivendi.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

Actually, there's an extra layer of complication here: The Weinsteins don't distribute any home video stuff. Sony distributes their new releases, and Vivendi Entertainment distributes their catalog titles. So Miramax, formerly owned by The Weinstein Company, now has a home video distribution deal with The Weinstein Company, even though The Weinstein Company doesn't actually conduct any distribution. They're just going to pass everything along to Vivendi.
I was wondering about that, but it sounded so stupid in my head that I was sure I was wrong. I'm guessing signing with TWC is more of a symbolic move that looks good on a press release (titles the Weinsteins greenlit being released on home video "through them"), when Miramax could easily have just signed straight up with Vivendi.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 18, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aren't most of the Weinstein Blus kind of crappy? It seems that most of the HK imports are 1080i and from DVNRed-to-hell transfers.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Aren't most of the Weinstein Blus kind of crappy? It seems that most of the HK imports are 1080i and from DVNRed-to-hell transfers.

Those are handled by Vivendi Entertainment, not Weinstein proper.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

Oh my god they couldn't have picked a worse loving group oh my god :suicide:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's up with the TRON blu-ray? Seems like they're missing a good opportunity to release it. Though I'm watching it right now and it wouldn't jive too well with TRON Legacy's target audience.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Dudebro posted:

What's up with the TRON blu-ray? Seems like they're missing a good opportunity to release it. Though I'm watching it right now and it wouldn't jive too well with TRON Legacy's target audience.

The work's been done on it already and most people seem to think it'll come out at the same time as the Tron Legacy Blu-Ray, which is tentatively scheduled for April.

Babe and the 2003 Peter Pan are due April 5.

Tangled doesn't have a release date yet, but the 4-disc 3D combo pack can already be pre-ordered for $21.99 after an $8 coupon on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004G6009K/

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Digital Bits says we can expect to see Blue Velvet announced soon.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Inception shattered the record for percentage of units sold as Blu-Ray: a whopping 65% of sales during release week were Blu-Rays.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Shattered? the previous record holder was Iron Man 2 at 52%.

With the format still being pretty new, honestly, I think we'll see new records like this pop up fairly frequently.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm surprised Avatar doesn't hold that award. People cream themselves over that movie.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The goonies special edition is on sale for 6 bucks on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Goonies-25th-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B000QFW7UA/

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm surprised Avatar doesn't hold that award. People cream themselves over that movie.

As far as I know it was fairly common knowledge that they were planning on doing the re-release near Christmas time hence the bare bones first bluray release. Most people probably decided to wait for the new one that is out now.

And then half the people that already bought the first release in April probably don't feel like double dipping. I knew I was going to double dip on it but most people probably wouldn't do that. Excluding people in this thread the common shopper isn't going to buy the same movie twice.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bambi posted:

Inception shattered the record for percentage of units sold as Blu-Ray: a whopping 65% of sales during release week were Blu-Rays.

I think it also helped that at most retailers, because of target's sale that the bluray+dvd combo was like a dollar or two more than the regular dvd. I know people who got the combo set instead of the dvd and didn't have bluray players.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

The goonies special edition is on sale for 6 bucks on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Goonies-25th-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B000QFW7UA/

It's sold out now. :(

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Phantom Goat posted:

Shattered? the previous record holder was Iron Man 2 at 52%.

With the format still being pretty new, honestly, I think we'll see new records like this pop up fairly frequently.

Yes, beating the previous record by 13% = shattered, especially when 50% is still considered a very high ceiling to overcome. Nobody expected a title to sell 2/3 Blu-Ray units this soon.

Volcasarus ReX posted:

As far as I know it was fairly common knowledge that they were planning on doing the re-release near Christmas time hence the bare bones first bluray release. Most people probably decided to wait for the new one that is out now.

Nah, the first Avatar release holds a pretty drat impressive sales record of its own.

quote:

Just four days after debuting on store shelves, “Avatar” has sold 2.7 million Blu-ray discs in the U.S. and Canada, according to 20th Century Fox — more Blu-rays than any previous movie has sold. The previous record holder, “The Dark Knight,” has sold 2.5 million Blu-rays since its debut 16 months ago.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ineffiable posted:

I think it also helped that at most retailers, because of target's sale that the bluray+dvd combo was like a dollar or two more than the regular dvd. I know people who got the combo set instead of the dvd and didn't have bluray players.

Hopefully, this becomes the standard for all Blu-Ray releases. For Christmas, if someone wanted a movie that was available in a combo pack, I got that instead of the standard DVD - even if they don't own a Blu-Ray player.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dudebro posted:

Disney had a few special screenings of the original TRON at their parks and people laughed at how cheesy the special effects looked now so Disney was afraid that re-releasing the movie on dvd would give others the same impression and hurt ticket sales for TRON: Legacy.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Seems like that plan of not hurting the ticket sales really came through in the end :v:

I saw it today and I liked it. Although it doesn't hurt having Olivia Wilde...in leather tights...in 3D...in IMAX. And I just saw the original yesterday for the first time and I thought it was somewhat lame though I appreciated it to an extent.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Cable Guy is set for March 1.

quote:

* Gag Reel
* HBO First Look
* Comedy Central Canned Ham Presents: The Cable Guy
* Basketball
* Medieval Times
* Breakfast
* Ending Mud Fight
* Karaoke Alt. - Bust A Move
* Nightmare Camera Test
* Leslie Mann Audition
* Music video: Jerry Cantrell, "Leave Me Alone"

Bambi fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 20, 2010

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Red posted:

Hopefully, this becomes the standard for all Blu-Ray releases. For Christmas, if someone wanted a movie that was available in a combo pack, I got that instead of the standard DVD - even if they don't own a Blu-Ray player.

It's a great marketing strategy to get people to buy blu-rays early instead of waiting for a sale/price drop since I've seen releases come out in first pressings with the combo pack, and it gets reduced down to a single disc blu-ray edition a month or two later.

I wouldn't mind if it became the new standard. Bluray price points (aside from tv series) are very nearly the price point of the dvds themselves. We could close the gap and offer only movie releases in blu-ray combo packs, or blu-rays individually. Wasn't Best Buy or some other retailer narrowing down their dvd selection further and further, and hoping to replace it with only bluray?

But I don't want to derail this too much. To be on topic, I've gotten The Twilight Zone season 1 on bluray and it looks absolutely fantastic despite it being an old show in black and white.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I finally finished going through TZ S1 last night. I wish I liked the show more, because it really is a fantastic treatment of the series.

Except I've decided I can't stand Marc Scott Zicree's commentaries. It's like 20% interesting trivia and then 80% explaining the obvious. Also, listen to how often he says "and again". Once you notice it, you'll never un-notice it. I tried counting the "and again"s on the "After Hours" episode and lost track after about 30.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Deadwood down to $93 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

No excuse not to get it this time

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
The hell is this? I already have Pulp Fiction on BD.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Cwapface posted:

The hell is this? I already have Pulp Fiction on BD.

Do you live in Australia, Hong Kong, a Nordic territory, or France? Because those are the only places where Pulp Fiction is available on Blu-ray. The US is still waiting for it, and that is the location of origin for the article link you quoted.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I have been sitting back and waiting for Blu-Ray player prices to come down in prices. I think it may be time to jump on one. Newegg.com is selling blu ray players for only $50-80 dollars as a PC component. Not too bad!

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Do you live in Australia, Hong Kong, a Nordic territory, or France? Because those are the only places where Pulp Fiction is available on Blu-ray. The US is still waiting for it, and that is the location of origin for the article link you quoted.

I live in Australia and the Pulp Fiction BR doesn't exist to me. I don't want a 1080i 50hz transfer thanks.

Can't wait for a good quality 1080P :D

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Ingram posted:

I live in Australia and the Pulp Fiction BR doesn't exist to me. I don't want a 1080i 50hz transfer thanks.

Yeah, arguably none of the current releases are that great. I have the Dutch one I believe, which is 1080p/24 with English DTS-HD MA (and region free) and it's decent - but it's definitely an old master, and there are no extras. Hoping a film of this stature will eventually get a new master.

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

Red posted:

I agree the combo packs are a great idea, but it's worth noting that the DVD included in the combo pack is not necessarily going to be the same as the standalone DVD. Warner, for example, likes to also cram the iTunes and Windows Media digital copies onto the combo pack DVD, so it's possible that its quality is not going to be as good as the standalone. The combo pack DVD might also lack some (or all) of the special features included on the standalone.

Just something to keep in mind.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
My wish may have finally come true: The Room may see a blu-ray release in 2011.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/12/20/the-room-tommy-wiseau-3d/

quote:

Wiseau intends to release a Blu-ray version of the film, whose bizarro delights are beloved by such comedians as Paul Rudd, David Wain, Jonah Hill, and Tim and Eric. “We want a Blu-ray release before Christmas 2011,” he said.” I have hundreds of emails from people saying, ‘We want to see the behind-the-scenes footage.’ I say, ‘Yes you can, as soon as we release the Blu-ray.”

HUNDREDS of e-mails, you say? With that kind of interest, Inception won't be holding that sales record for long...

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Wiseau has talked many times about his plans for a Blu-Ray version and a 3D conversion for The Room.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I heard that The Room was filmed with a HD camera duct-taped to the main camera exclusively for the Blu-ray release

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

He didn't know whether he wanted to film it on film or digital so he filmed with both and decided when it was finished which he liked better.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That doesn't even look like Jeffrey Hunter. :wtf:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Egbert Souse posted:

That doesn't even look like Jeffrey Hunter. :wtf:

I didn't know Michael Shannon was in King of Kings.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Ingram posted:

I'm Australian too, and Pulp Fiction is one of the better BDs I own out of 20 or so. Sure beats the poo poo out of The Dark Knight.

I bought the Platinum version of the latter and was extremely disappointed by the encode. Does the regular version have less digital artifacting? Such a let down. The movie was shot on 70mm, it should be sucking my eyes out with its awesomeness.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BajaBurrito posted:

I agree the combo packs are a great idea, but it's worth noting that the DVD included in the combo pack is not necessarily going to be the same as the standalone DVD. Warner, for example, likes to also cram the iTunes and Windows Media digital copies onto the combo pack DVD, so it's possible that its quality is not going to be as good as the standalone.

If they're watching it on DVD, they don't deserve quality :smugbert:

I can't personally imagine buying a combo pack if I didn't own a Blu-ray player, but I'm not everyone. Anything that makes Blu-ray more common is A-OK in my book.

• Locked thread