Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Veeb0rg posted:

I bought something interesting off ebay.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Have you seen the giant heads yet?

I've already spent my frivolous spending budget for this month, but next month I'm totally buying one to sit atop my bookcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Knormal posted:

Have you seen the giant heads yet?

I've already spent my frivolous spending budget for this month, but next month I'm totally buying one to sit atop my bookcase.

Indeed, it is on my post christmas purchase list as well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
They should make 10m tall minifig heads and plant them along the Jutland coast to greet later explorers who come to wonder what led to the demise of the ancient Dane civilization.

P.S. I love that 'choking hazard' warning on the box. :downs:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Veeb0rg posted:

Normal > Duplo > Quatro > ???

OCTO!

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

Nenonen posted:

They should make 10m tall minifig heads and plant them along the Jutland coast to greet later explorers who come to wonder what led to the demise of the ancient Dane civilization.

P.S. I love that 'choking hazard' warning on the box. :downs:

I guess you know about this dude washing up on the Dutch shore..

Click here for the full 750x727 image.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
I'm trying to get the Kingdoms advent calendar (I know, Christmas is almost here :v:) and I'm about to pull the trigger on this, but I came across a link for $39 at Amazon on a site that has the individual entries posted. It's from some third party, but it's fulfilled by Amazon so that I can have it by Christmas without paying a lot on shipping (free with Prime actually).

Between myself and a couple of friends elsewhere, I've given up on finding it in actual Lego stores and I'm not going to deal with eBay because the majority that are under $50 have jacked up shipping charges.

BrinkLink has some insane prices - like $20, but that's before shipping to the US. I guess somebody lucked into a bunch of cheap sets or something, because holy poo poo, $20. It's tempting to order one off of Bricklink for myself and not worry about when it gets here, since I think it's still cheaper than $39 total.

If anybody wants the City advent calendars, I've seen them at Target for the normal price, which means they'll probably hit clearance after Christmas. I wasn't too impressed with them though.

Coder
Nov 15, 2004
I finished my clock and took a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GInGalPmkyQ

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Coder posted:

That's very cool and well made. I'm sure with some tweaking you could make it run longer than an hour, but even as is its impressive.

Coder
Nov 15, 2004

InfinEight posted:

That's very cool and well made. I'm sure with some tweaking you could make it run longer than an hour, but even as is its impressive.
Thanks! There are a whole bunch of things that you could do that would probably add up to making it run over 100+ hours. If you used a longer pendulum (2 seconds per period instead of 1), used a pulley system to multiply the distance the weight falls (and add correspondingly more weight), MUCH more efficient ratchets are possible, if you were willing to put some lube on your legos, and simply using new legos (mine are pretty beat up and probably have a lot more friction than new legos do). All that would add up to many, many times longer running time.

I like how it looks now though, and even though the ratchet is very inefficient, it is nice because even non-mechanically inclined people can easily see how it works. I went through a lot of effort with the most nightmarish gear trains I've ever built, to put all the important bits of the clock in the front where you can see them...

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Anyone else a little disappointed with this years City Advent Calendar? I won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't finished it yet, I just appreciated the outdoors theme of last years instead of the indoors theme this year.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

So I got on Brickset finally and put in as many sets as I could remember/find in old pictures. This doesn't count all the loose pieces/mixed lots I've bought over the years and I know I'm missing more than a few, but I'm already at 280+ sets and nearly 75,000 pieces.

It helps that I bought Portal of Atlantis today for nearly half off. 25 more and I'll have 100,000 pieces easily!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Coder posted:

This is awesome. I'm continually amazed by what people (here and elsewhere) make out of Lego, from things like InfinEight's ships to this. Well done.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

So I got on Brickset finally and put in as many sets as I could remember/find in old pictures. This doesn't count all the loose pieces/mixed lots I've bought over the years and I know I'm missing more than a few, but I'm already at 280+ sets and nearly 75,000 pieces.

It helps that I bought Portal of Atlantis today for nearly half off. 25 more and I'll have 100,000 pieces easily!

Peeron (why, oh why is it so goddamn slow? I need to change to Brickset) tells me I have 197 sets (132 unique) with 52,701 parts and 394 minifigures. I haven't input my more recent purchases, including my big Craigslist score.
Loose parts, I have 20,661, which is largely from PaB purchases and maybe one bulk lot I received.
I haven't put in my last ~6 PaB cups or 3 bulk lots I've picked up because it was just...ugh. I couldn't be bothered. Too many drat pieces. And virtually impossible to determine just what sets were in those bulk lots (they were childhood collections, instructions missing and god knows what pieces no longer there).
Pretty sure I'm well over 100k pieces at this point.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Anyone else a little disappointed with this years City Advent Calendar? I won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't finished it yet, I just appreciated the outdoors theme of last years instead of the indoors theme this year.

I am pretty impressed with the city calendar this year. My son has managed to build everything himself and there are lots of neat 'toys'

The castle calendar on the other hand is pretty bleh, no creativity at all.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Peeron (why, oh why is it so goddamn slow? I need to change to Brickset) tells me I have 197 sets (132 unique) with 52,701 parts and 394 minifigures. I haven't input my more recent purchases, including my big Craigslist score.
Loose parts, I have 20,661, which is largely from PaB purchases and maybe one bulk lot I received.
I haven't put in my last ~6 PaB cups or 3 bulk lots I've picked up because it was just...ugh. I couldn't be bothered. Too many drat pieces. And virtually impossible to determine just what sets were in those bulk lots (they were childhood collections, instructions missing and god knows what pieces no longer there).
Pretty sure I'm well over 100k pieces at this point.

I think the best thing about having so many is you never really have to take stuff apart to cannibalize pieces anymore. And even if you already used that one rare piece you have, you can just buy another on Bricklink. The worst thing is all the sorting :sigh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, Construct-A-Zurg has some neat pieces but is pretty much the epitome of "you can build the set and not much else".

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

kensei posted:

S3 I need:

Fisherman
Indian
Space Alien
Rapper

S3 extras I have:

Gorilla
Snow Boarder * 2
Pilot * 2
Elf
Sumo

Looking to trade 1 for 1 please!

Updated! Will also pay up to $4 shipped for any of the figures I am missing!

e: updated again!

kensei fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 20, 2010

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Congrats on getting blogged, InfinEight!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Congrats on getting blogged, InfinEight!

Well drat, that's a nice surprise. Hopefully the next big thing will be just as popular (and get done sooner!).

Coder
Nov 15, 2004

Coder posted:

Thanks! There are a whole bunch of things that you could do that would probably add up to making it run over 100+ hours. If you used a longer pendulum (2 seconds per period instead of 1), used a pulley system to multiply the distance the weight falls (and add correspondingly more weight), MUCH more efficient ratchets are possible, if you were willing to put some lube on your legos, and simply using new legos (mine are pretty beat up and probably have a lot more friction than new legos do). All that would add up to many, many times longer running time.

I like how it looks now though, and even though the ratchet is very inefficient, it is nice because even non-mechanically inclined people can easily see how it works. I went through a lot of effort with the most nightmarish gear trains I've ever built, to put all the important bits of the clock in the front where you can see them...
I did a few of these things, and it now should run for almost 8 hours! I've only let it run for 2, but the weight only dropped a few feet.

I decided to make a 2 way pulley system for the weight, since I found out it would also prevent my string from untwisting, which was really annoying. Real clocks actually did this for this reason, and not to gain extra falling distance, even though that is a nice bonus.

While I was at it, I also decided to gear up the drive by 5 :v:. This is pushing the limit of my mechanisms though, it is just BARELY able to keep the pendulum going.

I've learned that having an axle pass through exactly 2 beams (no more, no less) is really important for low friction.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Picked up a decently-priced lot on ebay on Friday. 4 of the 6 original NASA kits--Space Shuttle Discovery, Mission to Mars, Saturn V Moon Mission, and International Space Station. They'd run about $200 on Bricklink, complete. These were largely complete, and so far, only missing common pieces.
I started bidding on 'em when they were a steal at $85, but got caught up in the auction and didn't want to let them go, so I ended up winning them at $128, with shipping at $14. Still a decent deal, though.
Won them on Friday, and they showed up at my door today. Most of the stickers have been applied, and applied poorly. The seller even included lists of what she found was missing, which was a nice touch, and some mis-colored substitute pieces.

I'd really like to see Lego do some proper large-scale NASA kits like Mars Exploration Rover. A 3' tall Saturn V would be awesome.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Target has the lunar limo on sale for 22$. Free shipping (discount applied on last page of checkout). I just picked one up.

https://www.target.com/LEGO-Space-P...hNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchPage=1&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-1&qid=1292948780&rh=&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

I'd really like to see Lego do some proper large-scale NASA kits like Mars Exploration Rover. A 3' tall Saturn V would be awesome.

I have all of those except the mission to mars one. The Rover was pretty cool and added a lot of new technic bits to my collection; one of the blue panels and dampened shocks are on the Infinity.

Coder posted:

Clock stuff

I think your clock should get blogged at a few places, it's really impressive despite the limits of the parts.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So what is the actual viability of buying and selling Lego sets? I'm tempted to get into this as I love Lego but don't really have the time to 'play' with it.

I live in New Zealand which I think could make it possibly a bit difficult in that I would lose money on shipping and also have less demand for my sets.

Also I bought three of the Series 2 minifigs last night. I got the Weight lifter (opened), the Spartan (unopened) and the Disco guy (unopened). Best to not open them?

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Red_Fred posted:

So what is the actual viability of buying and selling Lego sets? I'm tempted to get into this as I love Lego but don't really have the time to 'play' with it.

I live in New Zealand which I think could make it possibly a bit difficult in that I would lose money on shipping and also have less demand for my sets.
Having spent some time buying from eBay and Bricklink, you've definitely recognized your biggest hurdles - shipping and demand.

You could always go the BrickLink route and just deal with New Zealand buyers.

I have a feeling that the people who get into buying/selling are dumping thousands of dollars into all of the sales that are going on right now and in the clear, and then probably sitting on the sets for a few months before listing them at or above MSRP.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well that was the basic plan. Buy sets from the current year at retail or below and hold them for a year or two before selling them.

Was also thinking for sets I like I would buy two and sell one to cover the first.

I will investigate the NZ market on Bricklink.

Thanks!

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I recently got hooked back into LEGO after nearly 15 years. As a kid, my mom got me a number of LEGO sets, the most memorable being the 6346 Shuttle Launching Crew, and 6923 Particle Ioniser. The last set I got from her was the 6898 Ice-Sat V, which was probably when I was seven. The year after, she passed away, and I didn’t get any LEGO after that. I guess I must have been intimidated from asking my dad for toys, and as I grew up, I think I inherited what I felt was his mentality that “toys are a waste of money”. It didn’t help that my dad executed a “neatness purge” on my room, so I had to move LEGO out of display, otherwise they’d end up donated to charity.

Fast forward to my current part-time work at daycare. Once in a while, I get a kid who wants me to build a ship for them, based on whatever design I’m idly working on. I’m usually not too invested in the ships, so I’ll try to build something fancy and see how thoroughly the kids disintegrate my ships with violent collisions. My favourite LEGO experience though came last week – I was doing a very basic diamond cube structure, starting with a 2x2 square, and expanding out with gradually fatter squares, then closing it back in on the top. Some of the kids were interested it in it, so I started making it with the other colours – there was enough bricks for a 9 level cube for red, blue, white, yellow, green, black, and even a brown cube. I realized after that you could stack them as a matrix. Noticing that, I gave each kid who was part of the group a cube, imagining that they were some sort of Power Range-esque group, and that when they combined their cubes into a matrix formation, they could beat-up whatever hell villain they were up against.

The whole thing made me remember how drat fun LEGO was, and so when I got back home, I looked around to see if I still had my LEGO sets around. I couldn’t remember where it was for a while, and feared that my dad donated the sets, but I eventually found them again. That alone is a Christmas gift in itself.

I picked up a used Vector Detector through craigslist yesterday, which makes it the first LEGO I’ve added to my set since I was seven. As a kid, I never messed around with the sets after they had been built according to instruction, but after going through this thread, I took pieces from my M:Tron and Blacktron to make this thing:

With M:Tron colonists facing increasing raids by the Blacktron, and the Space Police resources stretched thin combating the growing Imperial threat, the civilian M:Tron took it upon themselves to develop their own combat vehicles. The Quasar Light Interceptor was designed as a quick reaction unit to discourage Blacktron raiders. While the Interceptor fulfilled its role admirably, the training time for pilots to accustom themselves to the notoriously difficult-to-handle fighter, and the extensive resources required to produce and maintain the craft led to the Interceptor being underused in the defense of M:Tron territory.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Army Men On Patrol marked down to 6$ on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Toy-Story-Army-Patrol/dp/B002RL7VX4/ref=pd_sim_t_1

Coder
Nov 15, 2004
Final clock post I promise... I decided that 8-10 hours was the absolute limit of duration for my clock without destroying legos with too much weight. I backed it off down to 2 hours run time, and my new goal is to make it as accurate as possible. Here is the new tool I added for high precision adjustment:

The worm screw allows you to move the weight +/- 1 stud along the pendulum very precisely. Using 1/4 turns of the screw I got to within +/- 2 or 3 seconds per hour!

I think it would be pretty reasonably possible to make a lego clock that runs for 24+ hours with a few seconds accuracy. I'm keeping mine the way it is though. If you heard this thing running, you probably wouldn't want it running all day anyways.

I still think it would be possible to make a clock run to 100 hours too. My ratchet literally only uses maybe 10-20% of a rotation to push the pendulum, meaning 80-90% of the weight drop is spent whiffing air. If you built a ratchet that was close to 100% efficient it could run maybe 10 times longer, with all else being equal (same torque on the ratchet from the weight).

Coder fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 22, 2010

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Which website is the best to keep track of your sets and pieces? BrickLink or Brickset?

I was thinking BrickLink as then it's easier to get work out total parts and I will be using for other things also.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Which website is the best to keep track of your sets and pieces? BrickLink or Brickset?

I was thinking BrickLink as then it's easier to get work out total parts and I will be using for other things also.

Where can you keep track of stuff you own on Bricklink? All I see is the wanted list section.

Brickset is pretty easy to use, I added 200 sets in about 20 minutes as I remembered them.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I've always used peeron myself for archiving what sets I own, but these days I just use Bricklink when I need to look for something. It's easier for me to just look up a part in the catalog and see if any sets I own happen to have it. Plus, I can see in the "items for sale" whether a part exists in a color that was never in any sets. Other databases won't tell me that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm I just assumed BrickLink had an 'owned' section. Woops.

I think I will use Brickset then as Peeron is great but it is really slow.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Plus, I can see in the "items for sale" whether a part exists in a color that was never in any sets.

Be careful with that. Often it's just that the part was available in an obscure colour and sellers have mis-classified it as a different obscure colour.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Dame Cook posted:

Be careful with that. Often it's just that the part was available in an obscure colour and sellers have mis-classified it as a different obscure colour.

Thankfully it's usually pretty obvious. First, any seller worth their salt will include a picture or will qualify the description "yes, it's really that color." Plus, there are only a few sellers that have any quantity of those parts anyway.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Coder posted:

Final clock post I promise... I decided that 8-10 hours was the absolute limit of duration for my clock without destroying legos with too much weight. I backed it off down to 2 hours run time, and my new goal is to make it as accurate as possible. Here is the new tool I added for high precision adjustment:

This is loving amazing and I'm not sure why people are ignoring it. Video of the internal mechanics?

Coder
Nov 15, 2004

echoplex posted:

This is loving amazing and I'm not sure why people are ignoring it. Video of the internal mechanics?
I will make a video of the internals when I get home (in a week). Its mostly just a ton of gears with specific ratios, the pendulum and escapement (what I was previously calling the ratchet) are the interesting parts and those are on the front. I'm going to try to build the pendulum strong enough without the beam going in front of the middle of the escapement so it is easier to see.

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Hey guys, I've been following/stalking/lurking this thread for ages now and was wondering if you could help me out?

Dug this out of my mums attic, it was my step-dads.
Was just wondering the rarity of it?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Finally scored some S3 minifigs.
Got 2 K-Feds, 2 Baseballers, an Elf, a Tennis Player, a Hula Girl, and 3 Mummies.
I didn't mind a bit about the dupes on the baseballer and rapper, but the 3 mummies kinda blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Shroom
Mar 12, 2007

:iamafag:I AM A HUGE GODDAMN FAGGOT, DON'T READ ANY OF MY POSTS:iamafag:
Staying home for the holidays and inspired by this thread, I went deep into storage and sorted through several boxes separating the LEGO and sorting them by color. After basking in the glory of the color-sorted bricks for a good ten minutes, (a sight never before seen in our family!) I set out to make my very first MOC since my growth into an AFOL. (Am I in the club yet?)

I know it's pretty basic, but I was kinda proud of it! I even threw together the world's shittiest light tent just to take pictures of it.

It's a Mech! For Imperial soldiers!

Little missiles

A glance inside the spacious cockpit

The claw in action!

You can't tell from the pictures, but it swivels at the hip. I can think of about a million things I wish I did differently, but as soon as I submit this post, I'm taking the bad boy apart. I've been studying up and I'm confident my next creation will be a lot closer to AFOL-quality.

Alpha Shroom fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 24, 2010