Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

I want to record my skype conversations. Is there a feature in skype that will let me do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Drimble Wedge posted:

Friend sent me an Xbox question and I'm stumped:

He has this issue regardless of whether the other computers in the house are being used, so it's not a matter of something else eating all the bandwidth. Any ideas?

I don't know if they still do it, but I'm sure a couple of years ago Virgin offered a "Gamers" broadband package so maybe they do traffic shaping? What times of day is the Xbox being played because they definitely throttle your connection if you download x GB in y space of time during peak hours.

nunchi posted:

I want to record my skype conversations. Is there a feature in skype that will let me do this?

There's a plug in called Pretty May, and there are others that will do this for you. The guys in the Lets Play forum do this all the time so check out their Tech Support thread.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Visiting Vegas on a shoestring budget.

What do you guys recommend I do for entertainment with my time there? I can't gamble at all, nor am I particularly rich.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 19, 2010

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

What do you guys recommend I do with my time there? I can't gamble at all, nor am I particularly rich.

Go to In-N-Out or hang out in the desert. How shoestring are you talking?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Loopyface posted:

Go to In-N-Out or hang out in the desert. How shoestring are you talking?

I should have specified I meant entertainment. Food and lodging is covered, there for about 5 days.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 19, 2010

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks gwar3k1; I will pass that on.

Mr_Biggs
Oct 7, 2010
I know this is somewhat related to the question in the FAQ in the OP, but it doesn't quite fully answer my question,

Does upgrading my account to platinum still not give the opportunity to remove the "Stupid Newbie" tag underneath my name? Is the further $5 still required for new custom title?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Would an area rug do anything to help a cold room stay warmer? Even if it helps insulate the floor and keeps my feet one or two degrees warmer, that's at least something. Would it do that, or would it be totally ineffective?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Elijya posted:

Would an area rug do anything to help a cold room stay warmer? Even if it helps insulate the floor and keeps my feet one or two degrees warmer, that's at least something. Would it do that, or would it be totally ineffective?

It will provide a greater surface area to absorb heat so yes, but as to wether you will notice or not is another question.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr_Biggs posted:

I know this is somewhat related to the question in the FAQ in the OP, but it doesn't quite fully answer my question,

Does upgrading my account to platinum still not give the opportunity to remove the "Stupid Newbie" tag underneath my name? Is the further $5 still required for new custom title?

Yes. Platinum gives you the ability to use private messages, to use the search feature, to post poll threads, to report posts to moderators, and to host images on the SA servers, and that's it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

What do you guys recommend I do for entertainment with my time there? I can't gamble at all, nor am I particularly rich.

There's a cool Vegas thread in the Travel/Tourism subforum you might want to peruse through.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3076540

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

Do you wear shoes in your house?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Elijya posted:

It will help a little bit, but probably not in any noticeable way. Drafts from doors and windows are going to have a bigger impact how well a room stays warm, along with how well insulated the walls are.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elijya posted:

Wooly house shoes would be far cheaper and you would notice way more of a difference. Plus the good ones are super comfortable!

If you don't want to do shoes, there are a bunch of cheap ways to keep your house warmer. Like stubblyhead just said, getting rid of drafts will make a large difference, so grab some indoor caulk and get to work on your windows. Also check around your doors for gaps and resulting drafts; if you find any then you can replace the weather stripping and your threshold/sweep if needed. The whole shebang should cost less than thirty bucks, take just one afternoon to do, and save you a bunch of bucks throughout the year.

If you're in a super cold area you could always put heat sealing on your windows, but odds are if you live in an area that needs it then you already put it up in November.

Anyway, long story short an area rug is not gonna do much. Getting rid of drafts and a cheap oil heater would be your best bet. If you're super lazy, a sweater and some house shoes always work.

For my own question: Is there a way to get Firefox to make room for images when initially rendering a page? I always get annoyed when I'm checking new posts in image-heavy threads here on SA because the page keeps getting bumped up every time a picture loads, which interrupts whatever I was reading.

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 19, 2010

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I need to wash my comforter. It's on of those cheap cotton/poly "RE" ones from Target. It says to use a front-loading washer on the tag, but I've got a top-loading washer. Is it going to be fine in there, or should I go to a laundromat?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Gravity Pike posted:

I need to wash my comforter. It's on of those cheap cotton/poly "RE" ones from Target. It says to use a front-loading washer on the tag, but I've got a top-loading washer. Is it going to be fine in there, or should I go to a laundromat?

Go to a laundromat. It specifies front loaders because they don't have that giant thing in the center of them to help move the clothes/water around, which the blanket could get caught up in and damaged.

Ok here's my question.

In the mid-late 90's, there was a commercial being shown that was for a sports clothing manufacturer, like Nike or Reebok.

The focus of the commercial was a baseball player, and there was a song being sung about him to the tune of Do Your Ears Hang Low. The only part of the song I remember is "and a [x] time winner of the golden glove."

Someone loving help me because I have that line stuck in my head and I've already written it on every wall of my house and I feel that if I don't hear it soon I will be found dead shortly.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Mak0rz posted:

Is it Xfire?

I think that's it, but that only shows how many people play that game who are using Xfire

Capsaicin Coffee
Nov 15, 2009

An exquisite aroma and wonderful, searing, capsaicin induced pain.
Posted this in the Product recommendation megahread in GBS, but I thought I'd try my luck here as well:

Capsaicin Coffee posted:

Any goons know of a good snow boot with spikes? Preferably the kind that you can fold in and out, so it would be easy to walk over intermittent patches of ice/snow and bare sidewalk without having to take off anything. Failing that, how about an easy to attach and detach snow/ice spikes strap that fits over shoes or boots?

Anything that will help me get some grip walking over black ice.

Thanks!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If you had no debts or anything to default on, would it be illegal to fake your own death?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Capsaicin Coffee posted:

Ice boot things.

I have no personal experience with these, but I've heard good things about DueNorth. They make a range of "traction aides" that wrap around your regular shoes and have carbide spikes on the bottom. Basically they're snow chains for your feet.

They're pretty cheap, and the spikes are replaceable.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Why does my mouth get all watery right before I throw up?

Related thing, about 10-15 minutes before I vomit, my hands start to get more and more numb that by the time it happens I've lost all fine motor control. Why is this?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Akuma posted:

Related thing, about 10-15 minutes before I vomit, my hands start to get more and more numb that by the time it happens I've lost all fine motor control. Why is this?

How often do you throw up that you recognize signs before the event? Do you know why you are throwing up?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

baquerd posted:

How often do you throw up that you recognize signs before the event? Do you know why you are throwing up?
Not that often, I caught some sort of bug off my wife this weekend and threw up a lot. The last time was maybe 3 years ago when I had the flu. If it's happening six or seven times over a day or so you remember the signs! :)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Capsaicin Coffee posted:

Posted this in the Product recommendation megahread in GBS, but I thought I'd try my luck here as well:

SNow SPikes

THe ones that areavailable from LL Bean and what not are amazingly effective. (got mine at a local sporting goods store. Personal experience says you really want the ones that have a velcro strap in addition to the strethcy bit. The stretchy bit can slip off mid step which is a nightmare.

Yaktrax is the name on mine.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Akuma posted:

Your stomach is given priority for blood flow when you're ill, and extremities are first to be "cut off" as such. This reaction is to ensure the stomach can remain functioning when its being "attacked" by whatever ailment you have, and to help eject the foreign body.

As for your mouth getting watery, it could be an increase in saliva production to provide enzymes to help break down the vomit, which must smell good to your nasal receptors. Unfortunately as its going out not in, its a redundant reaction.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

the posted:

If you had no debts or anything to default on, would it be illegal to fake your own death?

I'm fairly positive yes, because even if you aren't scamming to get insurance or get out of debt, it's still fraud. You're forcing officials to fraudulently issue a certificate of death and launch an investigation and such for one thing. I was glancing over a list of cases where people have done it, and it seems if there's no scam involved they may not bother prosecuting you or just have it be a misdemeanor, but it's still illegal.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 20, 2010

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I've noticed that the consistency of that pre-vomit saliva tends to be a little slimier than regular saliva, which has lead me to a few hypotheses that I can't really test. My favorite one is that it is supposed to coat your mouth and throat to partially protect them from the damage done by stomach acid.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Elijya posted:

I'm fairly positive yes, because even if you aren't scamming to get insurance or get out of debt, it's still fraud. You're forcing officials to fraudulently issue a certificate of death and launch an investigation and such for one thing. I was glancing over a list of cases where people have done it, and it seems if there's no scam involved they may not bother prosecuting you or just have it be a misdemeanor, but it's still illegal.

I'd agree with this. If nothing else, it's tax fraud, right?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'd agree with this. If nothing else, it's tax fraud, right?

I suspect so, yes, but if you own no property and have no income - essentially you're a homeless drifter or have family/friends who put you up - you don't owe any taxes. But I'm pretty sure you're still supposed to file that you have no income. Do homeless people usually file?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Elijya posted:

I suspect so, yes, but if you own no property and have no income - essentially you're a homeless drifter or have family/friends who put you up - you don't owe any taxes. But I'm pretty sure you're still supposed to file that you have no income. Do homeless people usually file?

No. Many, many people who should file (even those who would get a refund of some sort) don't.

Edit: This was widely publicized in 2008 or 2009 when stimulus checks were going to be directly issued to people rather than given piecemeal by lowering the tax rate. There was a big push to get a lot of non-earners or extremely low earners to file so that they could receive their checks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Akuma posted:

Not that often, I caught some sort of bug off my wife this weekend and threw up a lot. The last time was maybe 3 years ago when I had the flu. If it's happening six or seven times over a day or so you remember the signs! :)

I think I heard an explanation once that it is to get your mouth and throat lubed up so you can puke more easily. It's not just you though, I think it happens to everybody. I have many memories from college of someone being drunk as a skunk and they start spitting a lot, and next thing you know, whoops there's a big pile of vomit on the floor.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
How do you pronounce the Irish name Bláithín?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

jackpot posted:

How do you pronounce the Irish name Bláithín?

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/blaithin

Bla-heen, apparently.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Fire In The Disco posted:

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/blaithin

Bla-heen, apparently.
Ah, thanks. I met her once and she told me her name, but with an Irish accent and in a loud bar it just came out as "Blahghhughhghn" and I was afraid to ever say it outloud. :)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Danger Mahoney posted:

For my own question: Is there a way to get Firefox to make room for images when initially rendering a page? I always get annoyed when I'm checking new posts in image-heavy threads here on SA because the page keeps getting bumped up every time a picture loads, which interrupts whatever I was reading.

In your Something Awful User Control Panel, select Edit Options and toggle Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads under Thread View Options.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Is there a thread somewhere that talks about furniture and the like? I can't find one for the life of me..

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've just bought an IP/wifi camera for monitoring my house when I'm gone. After some tinkering it's working great - just go to the IP address, login, and I see what it sees. The problem is that the address - http://192.168.something.something - is just the local IP for the camera on my network, which means I can't see it when I'm out of the house. What do I need to look into to put this out publicly so I can see it from anywhere?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

jackpot posted:

I've just bought an IP/wifi camera for monitoring my house when I'm gone. After some tinkering it's working great - just go to the IP address, login, and I see what it sees. The problem is that the address - http://192.168.something.something - is just the local IP for the camera on my network, which means I can't see it when I'm out of the house. What do I need to look into to put this out publicly so I can see it from anywhere?

Have you tried going to a website that tells what your external IP is?

http://www.whatismyip.com/

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

jackpot posted:

No personal experience with remote monitoring myself, but here's a guide that may help—assuming that you’re using Windows:  IP Cam Remote Access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Arriviste posted:

No personal experience with remote monitoring myself, but here's a guide that may help—assuming that you’re using Windows:  IP Cam Remote Access.

To add to this. Some ISP's block port 80 inbound so you may need to not only forward the port but change the port on the camera or do a redirect so instead of port 80/8080 you would set it up for 3000 or something.